Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
SFP will always make for a faster optic in a LPVO by nature of design. In regards to "true 1x" you may never get it but what you are really after is unity at 1x so you have to adjust ocular focus at 1x, not the top end. I'm something that is 1-4x, 1-6x, etc SFP is the way to go because you are shooting bottom and top end. In the LPVO topping out at 8x or 10x I tend to want FFP because mine will be paid with clip-on night sights and thermals so want the full mag range to have a true reticle.

Vortex: The Razor 1-6x is really quite good but I have broken four of them, have a buddy who has broken four, and have seen others break: in my cases (and at at least one of my buddy's) the fiber optic filament came out of alignment with the reticle so it became a crosshair with a line and dot in the lower right or left quadrant. I think the 1-6x looks better (image) than the 1-10x and has a more forgiving reticle viewing area but the 1-10x has a better reticle and illumination design. In a pure speed gun I would still opt for the 1-6x but am using the 1-10x on a DMR match gun.

NF: ATACR will always be faster than NX8 because of design. Neither is as fast as the Razor. I have taken these all over the world and never broken one. I don't love the illumination look because of how it is designed; it appears to "flicker" if you aren't directly behind the gun and I think they have a little more edge distortion than others. The FC-DMx is my favorite reticle in a LPVO currently.

Swaro/Kahles: They are SFP, light, beautiful image, generous reticle viewing area, and very fast with good reticle options and I like the illumination. I would take them over a Razor 1-6x, no contest, if you have the cash. I absolutely love mine. I use the circle/dot reticle on my PCC and .300BO for short range deer on small tracts and the 3GR for everything else.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I have (2) Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 x 24. One is on an AR-308 with the red .308 BDC, and the other on an AR-15 with red .223 BDC

I'm happy with both.

Trijicon Credo HX

Are yours FFP or SFP?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Run the vortex lvpo on my 450bm bear baiting and it holds up great and holds zero no problem. That’s with it being hunted with hard and being bounced around a lot getting there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a few, 1 - 4, 1-6, 1-8 1.5-6 swfa, leupold, Steiner, trijicon, Zeiss. Oddly enough even though it’s the cheapest, the little SWFA 1-4 is my favorite, I guess I have confidence in it. It’s an older scope, don’t know if they still make them as well as they used too.

also I am not an expert, just a hunter and casual shooter, if I was looking today it would probably be another trijicon.

Last edited by jimmyp; 12/31/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I have (2) Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 x 24. One is on an AR-308 with the red .308 BDC, and the other on an AR-15 with red .223 BDC

I'm happy with both.

Trijicon Credo HX

Are yours FFP or SFP?

2 months no answer.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I haven't found a FFP LPVO that I was happy with. The NF 1-8 has been the closest. They all suffer at the low end of magnification, which is the whole purpose of an LPVO. Before I went FFP 1-6ish I'd go FFP 2-10 with an offset dot.

If you're willing to go SFP there are a lot of excellent options.

The Razor 1-6 can be had with Mils but the JM1 reticle is the most useful AR BDC reticle I've found.

I'll second the Credo HX suggestion. It's daylight bright and the glass is excellent. They're lighter than the Razor and a good bit less expensive.

The Steiner 1-4 is a great budget option and can be had for $500ish used. Somebody (Eurooptic?) was closing out the Steiner 1-5s recently.

I have a Vudu 1-8 and love it. For 8x the eyebox is good, the glass is great, it's daylight bright, and the BDC is terrible.

These are good suggestions.

I have the Razor 1-6x24 Gen2 E with the JM1 reticle and use it all the time in rifle matches.

I also have the Steiner 1-4 p4xi and it's been very good too for a lot less money and less weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see absolutely no reason to use a FFP scope for an LVPO application.

That about totally defeats the purpose of a fast target acquisition at low power, & at the longer ranges for that kind of setup SFP is a moot point.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm happy with both.

Trijicon Credo HX

Are yours FFP or SFP?

2 months no answer.

Those reticles are only available in SFP.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

That about totally defeats the purpose of a fast target acquisition at low power, & at the longer ranges for that kind of setup SFP is a moot point.

YMMV

MM

I agree. If the shot is hard enough that I need my subtensions, I'll be at max magnification with a 1-4 or 1-6.

I took a class with Ridgeline Defense and they're big fans of the ATACR 1-8. But they prefer keeping it on 3x'ish on the bottom end and use an offset dot. They're essentially using it as a 2 or 3-8 than a 1-8. But they like the ATACR enough to do that. I have a SFP Vudu 1-8 and I will say that once you get into 8x at the top end there are times when I've thought a FFP would be useful. I haven't made the switch, but it has been a consideration.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

YMMV

MM
I agree. If the shot is hard enough that I need my subtensions, I'll be at max magnification with a 1-4 or 1-6.

I took a class with Ridgeline Defense and they're big fans of the ATACR 1-8. But they prefer keeping it on 3x'ish on the bottom end and use an offset dot. They're essentially using it as a 2 or 3-8 than a 1-8. But they like the ATACR enough to do that. I have a SFP Vudu 1-8 and I will say that once you get into 8x at the top end there are times when I've thought a FFP would be useful. I haven't made the switch, but it has been a consideration.

If one is willing to run an offset dot and not use the 1X then maybe a 2-10 or so with a bigger objective brings more to the table.

I think there a sort of basic agreement that SFP fits best in optic you can utilize the max zoom most any time precision is required. If the objective is to small to drive Max Zoom most times then FFP might be better.

If the FFP reticle is pretty useless at Low Zoom it sure does reduce the utility of the optic.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/01/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve heard FFP scopes were more rugged but I’ve not understood the need to have it in a LPVO. And running an offset red dot with one defeats the purpose of a daylight bright dot in your scope and true 1x.

As John said, if you wanna use an offset dot, stick a bigger scope on it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'm happy with both.

Trijicon Credo HX

Are yours FFP or SFP?

2 months no answer.

Those reticles are only available in SFP.

Thanks, Blue.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
If one is willing to run an offset dot and not use the 1X then maybe a 2-10 or so with a bigger objective brings more to the table.

If one were to do that, then one wouldn't really be using an LVPO, then, would one?

MM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.