Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
So, all the news outlets have all these countless “experts” saying how they know the shooter is super well trained because of how he held his rifle.

Am I missing something? He has his strong-side elbow dropped 90 degrees to the floor like a little untrained schoolgirl.

As I was trained as a small child, and as the Marines reinforced, the elbow should be parallel to the deck, like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Does anyone think a skilled rifleman would have the elbow pointed down toward the deck?

Isn’t that just untrained and ghey?

Doesn't mean it won't kill undefended civilians. But I don't think it's evidence of superior training.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not super well trained:

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is the new style as is being squared up because you are presenting your plates to the enemy.

The young cool guys would tell you that you have a chicken wing.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/26/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
News last night said he obviously had been trained and knew what he was doing because he had “a scope and a bipod grip.”

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
So, all the news outlets have all these countless “experts” saying how they know the shooter is super well trained because of how he held his rifle.

Am I missing something? He has his strong-side elbow dropped 90 degrees to the floor like a little untrained schoolgirl.

As I was trained as a small child, and as the Marines reinforced, the elbow should be parallel to the deck, like this:

Does anyone think a skilled rifleman would have the elbow pointed down toward the deck?

Doesn't mean it won't kill undefended civilians. But I don't think it's evidence of superior training.

Well, I would say that depends on the discipline you are trained in. I won't argue the military teaches good marksmanship, as I have never served. But I do know there are a lot of variations when it comes to shooting styles of well trained marksmen. Semantics, I know.

That being said, that croc wearing fücker clearly hasn't put in much footwork time, just based on the second photo you posted of him in the bowling alley.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 10/26/23. Reason: Spelling. As per usual
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Like your view on things, Hawk. I wouldn't call it evidence of superior training, either. But, I will tell you that a lot of the spec ops training videos that I see on YouTube are to bring the elbow in to make a smaller target to grab onto in CQB training for things like room clearing. I'm not saying you're training was bad by any means. I'm just regurgitating what I've seen on YouTube. Been watching a lot of YouTube lately. Ex: Shawn Ryan Show. He's an ex-Navy Seal and 10-year CIA operator. Just watched a video of his a couple nights ago on room clearing. Unfortunately, it's a skill that may come in handy for us lowly civilians in the maybe not too distant future, too.

Shawn Ryan interviews a lot of ex-operators, too. One of them being ex-Navy Seal Erik Prince, who is also the former owner of BlackWater. Those are some very interesting interviews. The guy knows a LOT about operations going on around the world, who's who on the bad guy lists, different governments' proclivity of action or non-action, etc. One very interesting topic of conversation between he and Shawn was how to keep from losing Africa to the Chinese. Prince believes if we carefully spent private investment there, we could get that done because a lot of the African people want to work with the US, not with China. Because China goes in with armies of workers and never wants to hire local people for anything, including, believe it or not, mess halls. So the local population doesn't gain anything from the magnitude of Natural Resources being stripped from their country.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As we all should know, the media doesn't know jack schidt of what they speak of. Just like Biden thinks you can put 100 rounds in a "chamber". They are stupid fu cks trying to attack our second amendment rights. It's sad that little pukes like that shoot unarmed and defenseless people. The problem with this country is they shut down the mental asylums and opened our borders.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
As we all should know, the media doesn't know jack schidt of what they speak of. Just like Biden thinks you can put 100 rounds in a "chamber". They are stupid fu cks trying to attack our second amendment rights. It's sad that little pukes like that shoot unarmed and defenseless people. The problem with this country is they shut down the mental asylums and opened our borders.

Yep!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

This is chicken wingin'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't think it's necessarily evidence of training, he could have just lucked out. But the "school girls" kick ass and they shoot that way.

The chicken wing stance is a hangover from the trigger geometry of the M-1/M-14.

The difference between the "target stance" shown in this video and a field position is in how squared off to the target the shooter is, the weight distribution, and the forward hand position. But none of this is fixed depending on what weapon the shooter is using and what their target is doing, how far away it is. If I had a bedded deer at say, 150 yards and nothing to rest on and too much cover to use a lower position like sitting or prone, you can be darn sure I'd be lining up as shown in this video. One time I shot a deer at ~300 setting up as shown.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Homo? Euromale? or both?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I don't think it's necessarily evidence of training, he could have just lucked out. But the "school girls" kick ass and they shoot that way.

The chicken wing stance is a hangover from the trigger geometry of the M-1/M-14.

The difference between the "target stance" shown in this video and a field position is in how squared off to the target the shooter is, the weight distribution, and the forward hand position. But none of this is fixed depending on what weapon the shooter is using and what their target is doing, how far away it is. If I had a bedded deer at say, 150 yards and nothing to rest on and too much cover to use a lower position like sitting or prone, you can be darn sure I'd be lining up as shown in this video. One time I shot a deer at ~300 setting up as shown.

Per usual, Tyrone is spot on.

The only thing I'd add is have new grip angles such as the Magpul K2. The more forward the grip angle the less you tend to chicken wing.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

You're not wrong, just old school. I was trained in much the same manner. Things evolve. Now I slap chicken wings down when walking the line. Oh, and get your support hand out on the forend so you can drive that muzzle.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would say OP's form is dogs hit....unless you've been holding that rifle for 30 plus mins holding a perimeter or something.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What suits one may not suit another.

The fastest shooter in the world, Jerry Mic or something generally has his strong side elbow @ 45 deg. or lower. Weak hand approx. 6-8" in front of the mag well. Distance to target seems to change his steering hand as well. Closer to magwell with very close & multiple targets, & the further the target will have him reaching further on the handguard. The shooters arm length might have a bearing on this as well.

Now, I mentioned him being fastest, & what he uses obviously suits him. It may be close to being correct but may not fit everyone.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You were trained in the old way. Not that it’s wrong, just different techniques now. Drop the elbow down. Support hand out in the rail, thumb forward with a coke bottle grip. Give you better control of the muzzle to drive it to the target. Someone grabs that muzzle like you are holding it and they can wiggle that thing right out of your hands. Square up to the target to present your plates and keep a better shoulder width stance. Heel toe one foot at a time while moving forward.

Just different techniques as things have developed. Again, it’s not that you are WRONG, just there are better/different ways for different scenarios.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Gunzo, that’s what I was taught. Put your elbow where it’s comfortable and for me, depending on the shape of the stock and particularly the pistol grip, that’s a little below horizontal. In using offhand in bullseye competition with a 40-X, I dropped it to be pretty close to the chest because it gave a more natural approach to the trigger.

Watching guys shoot 3 gun, etc., you see all sorts of weird contortions, there’s no right or wrong, or better or worse, it’s whatever works for the shooter. Everyone can justify their method because MY way……………

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/27/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The chicken wing stance went away when the military stopped using full grown rifles. Raising the elbow creates a pad of muscle that absorbs the recoil of a .30-06 or a .308 better, something that's not needed when using a "poodle shooter" as Jeff Cooper called the M-16.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Uh, that's backwards I think, but poke your finger tips in the rifle butt position on your shoulder & feel it.

Raising the elbow makes a nice pocket for a rifle butt, lowering it puts mor meat into the pocket for the big kickers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tools in the toolbox. Gotta have them.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 18 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.