Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WMacD
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Am I part of the problem as some see it? I sort of thought this particular forum was for other than the dedicated forums. And since Rick has covered almost every base, then that leaves politics, current events, issues of the day, and general fluff such as picture threads, Christmas threads, asking of and giving of general life advice.

Is that the intent of the campfire, or have I and others contributed to the decline of the fire as some say has happened? I don't see the decline, but we used to have a saying where I policed: "The good ole days ended the day before you got here". I hate some people have left, and I don't want to be part of a problem if there is one.

I'm not calling anyone out, pointing a finger, choosing a side, or saying either side is right or wrong. I am seeking personal advice, and asking general questions.

This particular forum is not static and always seems to be undergoing change. It's also not the same rough and tumble place it was when I first started lurking here. The addition of the women probably had a lot to do with that.

The cast of regular posters is actually quite small compared to the entire membership of the 24 Hour Campfire and that may be contributing to some of the friction observed here. Some of the posters accumulate so many posts in such a short period of time that I wonder if they have a life outside of this forum, let alone a job, career, or family. In some cases, posters with those extremely high post counts seem to act as if they have acquired some degree of ownership of this forum as a result of their numerous posts and constant presence.

This place is certainly informative, interesting and entertaining, but it's not my sole existence. My oldest son is in the infantry and leaves in 2 weeks for training before being shipped over to the Middle East. The problems you folks have regarding your wounded egos, or who here doesn't like you, pale in comparison to my concerns.

Mac, I wish him God Speed and a safe tour. When he gets established lets have a fund drive to send him and his fellow troopers stuff they need for "comfort".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am all for that Terry.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WGM
Ken ... that makes no sense, to me �

not my fault!

wink

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody who has spent time around the web knows that this site has some of the most diverse and intelligent debate around.

I like the fact that some language is not tolerated, I don't like personal attacks on people who disagree with the majority and sometimes that does happen around here.

That being said, all one has to do is to stick to the other rooms on this site and they can gain all the advise and experience that they could ever hope for. Sometimes I choose to hang out there as opposed to the fire when some of the bashing gets thick.

Regarding those high profile posters who have left recently, that really was overkill on their part. When Stick was asked to cool it a bit, he chose to get obstinate and leave. Steelhead? now I don't get what was going through that boy's mind. Best I can tell he threw more insults than the next ten combined, when he engaged somebody who gives as good as he, he stormed out.
Bart, well he caught me by surprise, still not sure what the problem was there.

Can't figure why anyone wouldn't opt for the outer boards where experience is at a max, and choose rather to leave the board that for the most part they were enjoying. They must have been enjoying the place, look at the post counts of those who have left...maybe that's a clue that maybe they were spending too much time engaged in trivial crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to agree with Barkoff on the diverse and intelligent debate. I post sometimes to the Washington Post forums, mainly to poke them in the eye about their unfairness when it comes to guns, the West, and conserlibertarianism...
But the thing that blows my mind is how guttersnipe and boneheaded the WaPo posters are, most of whom we would suspect are in political jobs in DC or at least somewhat politically engaged. Most posts are simply knee jerk and irrational dreck. Which kind of scares me...are these yahoos getting paid to run our country? Gulp.
The Campfire is important for another reason. It is here where we get news of the things relevant to our interests, like Jim Zumbo for instance, or where we hammer away at or for Ron Paul. And then we hash things out for a bit and understand stuff better.
Finally, there is a social networking aspect to all of this that is important. One of the major impacts that could happen if gun shows became politically corrected by the leftie establishment is that there would be no more gun shows. We in the hunting and shooting cadre would lose a means of networking for both social and political purposes, and that would weaken our interests greatly in the larger political arena. I mean, I go to the gun show to look at possible new toys, but a big part of it is the impromptu "campfires" and visits and politickin' that always happen.
So, everyone, not just Rick, thanks for this.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I mean, I go to the gun show to look at possible new toys, but a big part of it is the impromptu "campfires" and visits and politickin' that always happen.

Yeah,... and besides that,.... an internet forum is more efficient for the exchange of ideas between shooters,... because most of us who have been at it very long cain't hear diddly.

Ya go to a gunshow,... the most common word heard is, "WHAT?!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
???? It is a cyber Campfire. Much much more civilized than the real life campfires I hang out around. Lotsa good tips here. Excellent opportunity to make connections and have adventures one would ordinarily miss out on. Thankfully my hide is almost as thick as a rhino's!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
???? It is a cyber Campfire. Much much more civilized than the real life campfires I hang out around. L

Well of course, you can't hear all the farting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Maybe I'm not all that observant,... but I just don't see the problem here,... never have.

It's a forum,... multiple personality types all interacting and everything that that entails.

If somebody comes on talking about stuffing a .243 case fulla FFFg and topping it with a 140 grain bullet,.. I'll just ask 'em to take a pic of the event so I can later say "who-eee!".

Yep. Can't say I agree with much of your stated philosophy or political stands but, I surely do admire the way you can 'cut to the chase' & get to the heart of a matter with a few words whistle .

Been here on the forum since nearly the beginning & 'knew' many of the members on the old Shooters board before we all came over. I post very seldom but I'm here nearly every day & I've seen the highs & the lows (lots more highs than lows). It's gotten to the point I can predict with a good deal of accuracy, the way many members will lean/jump in most any controversial situation. That ain't always the case & I would've been badly wrong on the "Stick" deal as I'd always felt he was essentially a 'straight shooter' even with his brash & uncompromising manner. Some of his post comments & the kids pix during that eipsode were so far outside the pale that I couldn't keep up for a while there. The Steelhead exodus was a surprise tho not unexpected & he did it the right way. I'm just mystified by Bart. He's always been very 'positive' in his manner & pretty forthright with his opinions but was seldom unfair. That ain't been the case lately. I remember a couple of Sonnie's (Need one) tirades but I attribute some of that to the illness we now know was overtaking him. Lots of good members have left the 'fire' for one reason or another, some have returned after a shorter (or longer) haitus, again for one reason or another. As a 'seasoned' observer & infrequent participant/poster, I don't see any great change here for better or worse.

As Ken Howell mentioned, it's the 'fellowship'; & you use what you can, discard what you find personally offensive, & enjoy the rest as you would a verbal conversation around a 'real' campfire. I plan on bein' here for a while longer & I thank Rick for providing this board even if much of it is 'mindless entertainment. grin

Exercising maximum personal freedom means . . . accepting total personal responsibility...!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Fire is one of the places I go to for news. I may not agree with everyone and I certainly have a warped opinion and I'm sure some would agree but the one thing about the Fire is that the news is straight and true. I like the other forums of the Fire that are of interest to me because I know the info is also straight and true. I don't know what the Fire was like before I got here but I like what we have now. And 280Rem I don't think you are a problem. You are okay by me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Originally Posted by .280Rem
I'm not calling anyone out, pointing a finger, choosing a side, or saying either side is right or wrong.

That is what some people are complaining about, really. It is all the fence-sitting, butt kissing, and PC sorta stuff that drives some ppl nutz.

Yep, I'm all about PC, and you never know where I stand on anything, like most here!

With some of the....hmmmm....hard hitters, for lack of a better word, gone....it's easier for people to get away with posting out their butts about stuff they know they ain't gonna be called on. It is what it is...

Can you describe or give an example of a "hard hitter" and what you actually mean about posting "out their butts" and "not getting called on it?"

or run off people that obviously have NO interest in the outdoors(on any level) and are just here to talk about themselves and how moral/heroic they are, to the point it might could give someone the actual gags.

Yeah I can relate to that in a big way!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does that song by Carly Simon ring a bell to you....

Goes something like 'your so vain, you prolly think this song is about you....don't you...don't you'....wish I could remember the name of it.

Do me a favor and get off your high horse....I was trying my best to be civil.

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does that song by Carly Simon ring a bell to you....

Goes something like 'your so vain, you prolly think this song is about you....don't you...don't you'....wish I could remember the name of it.

Do me a favor and get off your high horse....I was trying my best to be civil.

HoundGirl

I was tryin' my best to ask questions! Answers? Or is all you got pokes?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around a real campfire, you hear what everybody there yells at somebody else. Here, you can tune the yells out � if you want to.

Therefore, when somebody gets offended here, the final choice in the matter is his, not the offender's (who in most instances has no desire to offend anybody, anyway). So while I try to avoid being offensive, I don't lose any sleep over super-sensitive egos that look for (and find) ways to get offended by the mildest of others' opinions, etc.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why quote me? It's only second to your post. deezzzzaaaah....

A hard hitter would be Stick, Accraholic, SteelHead, Brother Bart, Brother Dave, Brother Bill, Mr. B, 1AKhunter, Brother IronHead, Bristoe...to name a few(only my opinion, here...cuz you asked). Most of which, pounded my azz pretty hard when I showed up here. Some are friends now....some aren't. They are ppl that, love 'em or hate em', don't give a chit what ppl think and aren't, good...bad...or indifferent, afraid to say what they have to say...and you'd never find them sniveling and nut-licking behind ppl's backs. They say what they mean...and mean what they say.

As far as 'who' doesn't get called on the bullchit they dish....your wife stands out as a shining star....and she has made an art outta azz kissing and get of jail free cards. Took a dose of me'itis and never came back down. Merle Norman model....miracle working nurse....moral diplomat to the commons....and on and on and on. Noticed she piped the chit down when she started getting called on the horse chit. Smart move.

I ain't the only one who thinks what I think....just the only one willing to say it.

I am not saying you are hated by the majority....I am just saying, as a rule, I avoid you and your wife...like the plague....cuz the two of you bring out my not so nice side...with your unfounded, pompess azz, ego centric attitudes.

Nuff said....but then...you did ask....

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The name of the song is "You're So Vain". wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The name of the song is "Your So Vain". wink

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Me?,...hmmm,... I don't recall aggrevatin' ya,..

well,... maybe just a little bit,.. but all in a good natured fashion.

I hope is was interpreted that way,...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note to self: Never prod HG to explain herself.
smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Na. She DID ask. Song has a special memory for me and not a good one.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.