Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
This latest Wilson version is my favorite (with the addition of bottom metal especially) I may try one in .308 Win but the non-stainless reciever is a let-down for Me....best of luck to Mr. Wilsons new rifle đź‘Ť....Hb

The bolt and receiver has Armorlube DLC hard corrosion resistant coating. We considered stainless, but decided we didn't want to fight potential galling issues with the tight tolerances we're holding.

The rifle has been well received since we introduced it in early Sept, we've already shipped more rifles than Melvin did in his highest production year. Since we only have a limited caliber selection of only right hand now we take this as a very positive sign along with the fact some customers have bought multiple rifles.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigGrz
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Obviously,the script has fallen into numerous hands through the years and for numerous reasons. As horrible of a job that Colt did on the platform,Ronnie did the EXACT opposite and simply surpassed Mel's BEST fhuqking efforts. That's not a Melvin Slam,but rather a Ronnie Accolade. Hint.

Ronnie did/do understand Mechanics and simply aligned the platform,to shine brightly in ALL avenues. He fhuqking NAILED RPM and throat geometry,better than anyone and everyone,before during or since. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

He made receivers outta S/S,D&T'd (5) 8-40's atop same and the end results were/are without peer. To come in behind THE pinnacle and Goat Fhuqk the lineage,is a crying fhuqking shame. The heartbeat of EVERY fhuqking rifle is RPM/Throat Geometry/COAL and to purposely Goat Fhuqk that,blows my mind. Blue Haired Cat Lady Notions,are beyond "peculiar". Hint.

It is plum AMAZING to me,how very little Manufacturers "know" or shoot. Hint...............

I don’t see your posts unless I’m logged out and scrolling. This one really intrigued me.

If you’re so damn smart and know what good rifle is and should be, why do you remain an Alaskan hillbilly bumpkin instead of starting a gun company and becoming a successful narcissist instead of a plain-ass narcissist?

I’m genuinely intrigued, and I have capital on standby to use if you genuinely have the knowledge, skills and initiative to make something happen. I think my capital would be better spent in ammo manufacturing considering the supply chain and geopolitical issues limiting consumer supply; but you have my attention if you have genuine expertise, and not a bunch of empty green ammo boxes with yellow pen paint on them and hand-me-down po’boy rifles.
He ain’t wrong.

A stainless receiver on a rifle in that price range and intended for hard hunting use should be a given. Do you disagree with what he said about twist, throat geometry, or COAL?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by BigGrz
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Obviously,the script has fallen into numerous hands through the years and for numerous reasons. As horrible of a job that Colt did on the platform,Ronnie did the EXACT opposite and simply surpassed Mel's BEST fhuqking efforts. That's not a Melvin Slam,but rather a Ronnie Accolade. Hint.

Ronnie did/do understand Mechanics and simply aligned the platform,to shine brightly in ALL avenues. He fhuqking NAILED RPM and throat geometry,better than anyone and everyone,before during or since. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

He made receivers outta S/S,D&T'd (5) 8-40's atop same and the end results were/are without peer. To come in behind THE pinnacle and Goat Fhuqk the lineage,is a crying fhuqking shame. The heartbeat of EVERY fhuqking rifle is RPM/Throat Geometry/COAL and to purposely Goat Fhuqk that,blows my mind. Blue Haired Cat Lady Notions,are beyond "peculiar". Hint.

It is plum AMAZING to me,how very little Manufacturers "know" or shoot. Hint...............

I don’t see your posts unless I’m logged out and scrolling. This one really intrigued me.

If you’re so damn smart and know what good rifle is and should be, why do you remain an Alaskan hillbilly bumpkin instead of starting a gun company and becoming a successful narcissist instead of a plain-ass narcissist?

I’m genuinely intrigued, and I have capital on standby to use if you genuinely have the knowledge, skills and initiative to make something happen. I think my capital would be better spent in ammo manufacturing considering the supply chain and geopolitical issues limiting consumer supply; but you have my attention if you have genuine expertise, and not a bunch of empty green ammo boxes with yellow pen paint on them and hand-me-down po’boy rifles.
He ain’t wrong.

A stainless receiver on a rifle in that price range and intended for hard hunting use should be a given. Do you disagree with what he said about twist, throat geometry, or COAL?

It’s hard to agree or disagree with a guy when he communicates in “Goat Fhuqk HINT!” That’s why I suggested he put his “expertise” to use.

The brand matters more, though. That’s Bill’s problem, and he indirectly addressed it with “shipped more rifles than Melvin did in his highest production year.” Fine, but you’re not making the same product which inherently is a different production process with different methods, and still coming on to a forum to defend it, no less. The brand is a the bigger issue in this case.

Last edited by BigGrz; 11/11/23.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Production rifles compete with production rifles. Whatever the flavor of the month.

Truly custom rifles are just that. Special. Individual. Art.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
M1 Garands were hard use rifles and they did not have a stainless steel receiver. Maybe they were a semi hard use rifle. Most important part is proper finish and care of the rifle. You know, don’t use them as fishing gear or just lay them in the river just because you can. NULA rifles have applicable twist and COAL for most typical hunting purposes.

NULA rifles now are just as custom as they were before however, some folks are resistant to change and just need to bitch about something.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BWilson
The rifle has been well received since we introduced it in early Sept, we've already shipped more rifles than Melvin did in his highest production year. Since we only have a limited caliber selection of only right hand now we take this as a very positive sign along with the fact some customers have bought multiple rifles.

Are these rifles all being purchased by individuals, or are some going to dealers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t agree. The Fieldcraft was a custom production rifle, and I’d put one up against any other custom rifle.

Form follows function, especially in rifles.

I think Bill said a few pages back that they can make these with whatever twist and cartridge they have tooling for.

If that is so, then this is a great deal in a custom production rifle.

Originally Posted by WTM45
Production rifles compete with production rifles. Whatever the flavor of the month.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
M1 Garands were hard use rifles and they did not have a stainless steel receiver. Maybe they were a semi hard use rifle. Most important part is proper finish and care of the rifle. You know, don’t use them as fishing gear or just lay them in the river just because you can. NULA rifles have applicable twist and COAL for most typical hunting purposes.

NULA rifles now are just as custom as they were before however, some folks are resistant to change and just need to bitch about something.

Yep, and Melvin would install whatever twist barrel the customer wanted. One in the collection of ULA/NULAs Eileen and I have acquired over the years is a 6.5-284 I bought second-hand, which has a 1-8 twist. No doubt some would prefer a 1-7 twist these days, or even faster, but the Model 20 was built early in 2014, nearly a decade ago, back when most shooters were satisfied with 1-8 in 6.5s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
NULA rifles now are just as custom as they were before...

Incorrect.
They are being manufactured in an entirely different process. Economies of scale will dictate to achieve higher production numbers and output.
Even Mr. Wilson will agree they are not in any way being produced as Mr. Forbes was producing them.
The Wilson NULA is not a bad rifle. It is different in multiple ways.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I don’t agree. The Fieldcraft was a custom production rifle, and I’d put one up against any other custom rifle.

Form follows function, especially in rifles.

I think Bill said a few pages back that they can make these with whatever twist and cartridge they have tooling for.

If that is so, then this is a great deal in a custom production rifle.

The Fieldcraft competed with production rifles in its class and beat them all hands down. That we agree on fully.

"Custom production rifle." Interesting.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The Fieldcraft competed with production rifles in its class and beat them all hands down. That we agree on fully.

I call BS on that.

Did Mel make his own barrels? Triggers?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I call BS on that.

What custom rifle builder does?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Incorrect.
They are being manufactured in an entirely different process. Economies of scale will dictate to achieve higher production numbers and output.
Even Mr. Wilson will agree they are not in any way being produced as Mr. Forbes was producing them.

Right, Mel was a one man shop….

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I call BS on that.

I think the bfc did a lot of things really well. I’m curious what you feel better at $1400?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I call BS on that.

I think the bfc did a lot of things really well. I’m curious what you feel better at $1400?

Tikka

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Incorrect.

Right, Mel was a one man shop….

No, but he was a 3-4 man shop and he had involvement with every rifle that left the shop.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I call BS on that.

Tikka

Not even with a Manners.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I call BS on that.

Tikka

At nearly a pound heavier and antiquated twists.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

I call BS on that.

What custom rifle builder does?

Wilson Combat makes their barrels. Point is that most rifles built, custom or not, integrate other company made products into their own. Wilson is no different than Mel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you believe there is no difference between ULA/NULA under Melvin Forbes control and the current Wilson NULA I'm walking away.

Have you ever owned ANY of what we are discussing here? And you think a Tikka surpasses a Barrett?

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.