Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The CPW commission meeting Nov 17 will consider changing Elk tags in the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons from OTC to limited draw for the next two years in the units hit by the 2023 severe winter kill in NW Colorado.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sitting on 26 points and have been holding out for unit 2. If I was still a CO resident I could pull it. I was a CO resident for 54 years but work took me to TX. If they cut back on unit 2 tags I will never get one. May be time to consider unit 61

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds like a good plan.
It is odd how you go East of there and slightly up into Wyoming, our elk and deer did fine over that winter.
They did take a hit though up in Baggs area too.

Doing away with NR OTC has been getting a lot of talk in Colorado. Some NRs are not happy about it but sounds like a good plan for residents in Colorado.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The CPW commission meeting Nov 17 will consider changing Elk tags in the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons from OTC to limited draw for the next two years in the units hit by the 2023 severe winter kill in NW Colorado.
Where did you get those details? Commission meeting notice just says consider modifying unlimited bull licenses in the severe winter zone.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter and I spent the day in unit 2 yesterday. We saw elk but the numbers are down. I suspect they’ll recover fairly quickly if the go cut tag numbers. They usually take A LOT of cows out of 2.

Todd

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Where did you get those details? Commission meeting notice just says consider modifying unlimited bull licenses in the severe winter zone.

https://cpw.state.co.us/.../November/Item.19-W-2_Issue.pdf. Pages 24-35 or so

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
E
This is just a sign of things to come, what will CPW do once the wolves are established, the low numbers will be the new norm. The CPW will be screaming for money then!!!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM

https://cpw.state.co.us/.../November/Item.19-W-2_Issue.pdf. Pages 24-35 or so
Thanks, SS. The way it sounded to me was CPW is looking at limited bull licenses on public land for at least 2 years and private land status quo. I suppose we’ll know next week what they decide.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So how did this turn out?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Curious myself.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
CPW won't announce anything until winter herd counts are done I believe. So far, nothing has been posted except the Meeting Recap.Next Meeting is in January

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=3992

Supposedly looking for the 6000 hunter survey about it.

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=3993

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/10/23.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hunted just east of that area this year, and my buddy hunted the Bear's Ears units this year. He was one of the few that got a tag. He saw three elk total in six days. Last year, that we saw 60 opening day. East of there we got lucky and got on a cow, but didn't see a single elk before or after we got the cow. Another buddy went in the Medicine bow area, saw nothing over three days. Limited draw is the minimum they need to do for all seasons up there and I'd add, no cow tags in the post-rut seasons.

And the number one thing CPW needs to do is DECIDE BEFORE THE APPLICATION PROCESS BEGINS. Last year our entire hunting party applied for tags in the area, only to find out in MAY - a month after we applied - that tags were being severely limited, limited to a total of 10 cow tags. There was talk before then, but nothing near how they ended up. If they change the rules/limits after the application process begins, applicants should get double points back.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I hunted just east of that area this year, and my buddy hunted the Bear's Ears units this year. He was one of the few that got a tag. He saw three elk total in six days. Last year, that we saw 60 opening day. East of there we got lucky and got on a cow, but didn't see a single elk before or after we got the cow. Another buddy went in the Medicine bow area, saw nothing over three days. Limited draw is the minimum they need to do for all seasons up there and I'd add, no cow tags in the post-rut seasons.

And the number one thing CPW needs to do is DECIDE BEFORE THE APPLICATION PROCESS BEGINS. Last year our entire hunting party applied for tags in the area, only to find out in MAY - a month after we applied - that tags were being severely limited, limited to a total of 10 cow tags. There was talk before then, but nothing near how they ended up. If they change the rules/limits after the application process begins, applicants should get double points back.

Yea,I applied early on for cow, ML tag, North in Unit 12. Then a week before the draw they issued a news release that the number of tags would be reduced, but not how many.They did not reduce ML or archery tags however.

I saw three elk, one came home with me. Archery hunters were seeing a few more, but not many were tagged.

I agree that CPW needs to decide AND publish tag number reductions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Make that 3 of us with applications in that area only to find out tags were severely restricted.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For all of us, our elk hunting years are limited. Possible hunting seasons could range from 1-60, with (a complete guess) average of maybe 5. I know some of us elk hunt every year and will get 20, or 30, or maybe 40 seasons in our lifetime. I think that's rare though. It's more of a bucket list item for about half the hunters would be my guess. They might go once, maybe 5 times in their life as time and $$$$ allows. My point is, when CPW changes the rules after the application process is well under way, it's affecting this very limited and often extremely expensive opportunity. Mother Nature wins, always, and no problem on limiting tags to allow the natural resource to thrive again - that's your job. All of us will adjust accordingly - If you let us know in a timely fashion.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
For all of us, our elk hunting years are limited. Possible hunting seasons could range from 1-60, with (a complete guess) average of maybe 5. I know some of us elk hunt every year and will get 20, or 30, or maybe 40 seasons in our lifetime. I think that's rare though. It's more of a bucket list item for about half the hunters would be my guess. They might go once, maybe 5 times in their life as time and $$$$ allows. My point is, when CPW changes the rules after the application process is well under way, it's affecting this very limited and often extremely expensive opportunity. Mother Nature wins, always, and no problem on limiting tags to allow the natural resource to thrive again - that's your job. All of us will adjust accordingly - If you let us know in a timely fashion.

Spot on. Back when I was 40 or so, I counted up how many elk seasons I had left, figuring to hunt until I was maybe 75. 35 wasn't very many and I have only missed one elk season since. They sure went by fast. I don't hunt out of state, but I added a few more when I could buy an "A" and a "B" tag plus I hunted another five years after being 75.

I went t a CPW meeting two years ago and they said in their survey, most elk hunters would be happy to hunt every 2-3 years. I told them they were full of bull do-do. If CPW treated residents and seniors as well as they treat non-residents it sure would help us out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well said.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Spot on. Back when I was 40 or so, I counted up how many elk seasons I had left, figuring to hunt until I was maybe 75. 35 wasn't very many and I have only missed one elk season since. They sure went by fast. I don't hunt out of state, but I added a few more when I could buy an "A" and a "B" tag plus I hunted another five years after being 75.

I went t a CPW meeting two years ago and they said in their survey, most elk hunters would be happy to hunt every 2-3 years. I told them they were full of bull do-do. If CPW treated residents and seniors as well as they treat non-residents it sure would help us out.
I think guys like us might actually be in the minority. I saw a group of 4 guys this year up on the mountain. Nonres with one rifle and one bull tag and 4 spotting scopes. I know some guys here that go out to CO or WY to elk hunt. A couple groups go every other or third year and another group goes about every year but alternate who buys a tag. See it in videos regularly online too, one guy with a tag and a posse of guys with spotting scopes and packs.

I don’t get it myself. I go on hunting trips to hunt. Even if it’s low odds like OTC bull tags in CO the odds improve 100 percent when you actually have a tag. And I like to hunt and shoot things.

The current situation in CO is pretty much a sh it sandwich thanks to the Information Age amongst other things. I’m glad I got in the years I did because it looks pretty bleak going forward.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I went t a CPW meeting two years ago and they said in their survey, most elk hunters would be happy to hunt every 2-3 years. I told them they were full of bull do-do. If CPW treated residents and seniors as well as they treat non-residents it sure would help us out.[/quote]

This forum needs a thumbs-up button. Out of curiosity the other day I went to the ADA part of CPW's website. They made sure in every circumstance to say that age wasn't a disability. And if you did happen to qualify for a disability, you had to reapply every year because maybe you were cured of the qualifying life-changing disability in the off-season. I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm convinced that CPW wants, and needs, your money, but they'd rather not have you be successful, especially as a resident, as they aren't making much if any money off you.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m curious as to what makes it easier or better for the nonresident hunter to be successful in CO?

I’m not being argumentative and I’m fully onboard with the idea that CPW doesn’t care or necessarily want ANY elk hunter to be successful, I know because they’ve told me as much. I’m just curious because two of you now have intimated that they make it harder on residents than nonresidents. I’ve hunted elk in CO a lot but my scope is rather narrow as we always hunt the same area during the same season.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Couple of things. Colorado is the only state that offers OTC tags without a cap and without limits on nonresidents.. Nonresidents apply for other states and then come to Colorado if they do not draw. We are the dumping grounds.

There are quotas for the primary draw for residents and non residents. For the 2nd draw those quotas for non residents go out the window. Same for left over tags. For sheep, goat, and moose, a nonresident has as much chance of drawing a tag as a resident. Other states limit those once in a life time tags to residents only. Now youths have 100% preference of drawing until there are no more tags for the second draw, with no quotas for res VS non res. Nonresidents are putting their youngster in to the draw and then come hunting with them and they get a cut in price for the youth tag. All the kid does is end up pulling the trigger. I am all for giving preference to youngsters, but resident youngster should have first crack at the tags. It is disheartening to hear of resident youngsters not being able to draw a tag

We have finite number of elk and to sustain the number and quality hunts the draw quotas need to be 90% residents,10% nonresidents,not 65% and 35% respectively . There should be a cap on the number of OTC tags for nonresidents every as other western state has them. Archery hunters have grown by leaps and bounds with no caps on OTC tags. Much of that is because archery season is a month long and less hunters.

Right now I see a majority of out of state license plates at trailheads. I left the east 60 years ago and the crowding was terrible in deer season. I see the same thing now in Colorado for elk seasons.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/12/23.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I totally agree on residents having first whack at hunting, I refuse to live in a place that I can’t hunt every year. I also think COs tag system for the draw sucks bigly, especially the leftover boondoggle.

I hate what it has all become now that hunting, especially out west, is the in thing. It’s quickly strangling my family’s tradition of hunting out there. If I were to guess I’d say that the end of OTC bull tags will be the final straw for our camp. Thankful for the great run we’ve had.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've read all the posts to this thread and agree with the sentiment that residents should get preference. My "but" relates to the nature of public land - we ALL own it. I'm 100% cool with residents having much less expensive tags than NR - that's the luxury of living in a state. I do struggle with allocation schemes that severely handicap me as a NR trying to hunt on public land - all I need is a permission slip in the form of a tag.

One of the reasons I struggle with this is that I've seen and experienced public land crowding. It sucks and has gotten exponentially worse over the last 10 years. I've changed tactics in recent years and do a couple of simple things - avoid all trailheads, ends of roads, and popular access points. I also quit looking deep jnto the backcountry - everyone is into that trick. I've had a good run of success hunting 1-3 miles off the trail/road - past the road hunters, but not into the horse guys.

I have areas that I've hunted for alot of years that I run into people now that 10 years ago I'd never see a boot track. Times have changed and the need to change strategy is here. Last year I hunted a totally new area to me. I spent a week scouting in September and confirmed a few things. Guys congregate at trailheads and end of the road, try to hunt 'way back in', and quit after a few days. The elk were there, I saw elk and sign - but not in the areas everyone was congregating or trying to get to. I heard a bunch of stories about hiking back in 4-5-6 miles and running into people. Let's try this: try something different.

This past season, I saw 13 elk, was into elk most days, and saw exactly 1 set of boot tracks in areas i was hunting and not a single person. I saw alot of guys near the road, a few boot tracks within 1 mile of the road.

Bottom line for me: I've hunted elk every year since 2007 and most years before that going back to the 1990s. I'm 60 and know I have more years behind me than in front of me. I plan to elk hunt every year some how - if I can get a tag. I'm cool with paying more, even alot more, but don't handicap me by making it highly unlikely to draw a tag.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Book this….

If NR tags are severely cut, resident fees will go up big time. Somebody will have to pay the $800 shortfall for every NR cut out of the game.

For the naysayers, check out where CPW gets most of its funding.

WAM, out

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Book this….

If NR tags are severely cut, resident fees will go up big time. Somebody will have to pay the $800 shortfall for every NR cut out of the game.

WAM, out
So its money over Management 🤔

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Theres 2 things that always get brought up about NR hunting Money and Public land.
Somehow NR think they have the " right " to hunt a NR state because of public land or that they plop down 1,000 for a tag and license.
First the only " right " you have on public land is to access it not to hunt or fish unless you have a NR license which is controlled by that states GF, politicians and residents who vote those politicians in office.
You either like the rules or go somewhere else simple as that or do like Petey sue because you don't like the rules.
I hunt Colo, Wyoming and Nevada and I know when I plop my money down as a NR its a privilege if I dont like ill move on.
Do you go to your neighbors and tell them how to run there house hold? im sure some do.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/12/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by WAM
Book this….

WAM, out
So its money over Management 🤔

Always has been. I have been reading final published 5 year Big Game structures for several years.The last page is always what will bring in the most revenue.

Two things.

If CPW had not become a big bloated government political driven bureaucracy, you would not see the big prices in NR tag, but you would see more NR hunters

Residents would gladly pay more for their tags if it meant less hunters. CPW isn't going to help us and small towns won't stand for it as they depend on that cash flow of hunters.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dont care about the money argument wether its true or not, all I care about is whats good sound management.
Everybody's bitchs about the money ruining hunting which I 100% agree with, well if you believe that then it shouldn't matter how much NR bring to the table

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Colorado can do what Wyoming just did, raise NRs prices through the roof ands most NRs will still buy that tag. Pretty easy to make up shortfalls when license numbers are cut.
Small towns will now have wolf watchers make up that difference.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wytex
Colorado can do what Wyoming just did, raise NRs prices through the roof ands most NRs will still buy that tag. Pretty easy to make up shortfalls when license numbers are cut.
Small towns will now have wolf watchers make up that difference.
100% i agree with.
Montana needs to cut 1/3 of there NR tags then raise the price on the rest.
Theres been a huge increase in resident license last few years because of the influx of people our deer and elk herds can't sustain the pressure something has to be done.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am like most here I just want to have the opportunity to hunt. I have 50+ seasons behind me and pray for a few more. I am looking at OTC opportunities, but realize after last years winter I will have a wait a year or so for the numbers to come back. I will stick with Wyoming and Oregon this next season, maybe burn my points in Nevada.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
“You either like the rules or go somewhere else simple as that”

I had to ponder your post a bit before replying to prevent a similar knee-jerk reaction as your post. Two rhetorical questions: I wonder how your post would be interpreted by the non-hunting crowd? Especially those that also use those same public lands. A second question: Do Bozeman and Missoula look the same as they did in the 1990s before several waves of new Montana ‘residents’ arrived?

Your post comes across as a very short-sighted attempt at reminding all NR that your state controls access, via hunting tags, to the public lands in your state. Your post seems to indicate your goal is to acquire as many of the hunting tags as you can, NR tough luck and go somewhere else.

A couple of things:
Like it or not, NR hunters contribute greatly to the bottom line of all the local communities. You can create an argument that a week or 10 days of NR spending doesn’t equate to the total dollars spent by a year long resident – probably true, but again seems a bit short-sighted, especially if you’re a business owner depending on those dollars. I’m fairly certain most business owners in the western small towns don’t complain about NR revenue from Sept to Dec. Do all the businesses in these small towns remain open throughout the year? I don’t have the answer but wonder if they could afford to shut down for 2-3 months after hunting season if the influx of NR dollars did not happen Sept to Dec.

A fair inference from your post, it seems that resident hunters are able to keep F&G budgets afloat. Wonder what the unintended consequences are – much higher resident tag fees? What happens when license sales can’t support F&G budgets? Funding becomes part of the general state budget? That should work well when all the new Montanans decide hunting is not a good idea on ‘their’ public lands. Colorado should be keenly aware of the impact of public participation in F&G topics.

At the end of the day, there exist ways to keep all of us in the game without resorting to ‘if you don’t like it, go somewhere else’. If your complaint is with over-crowding, that is an issue all hunters share, resident and NR alike. Why not tweak the system where we all can participate on a reasonable basis, hence my comment on ‘owning’ public land. As a resident you can buy a tag OTC, as a NR, I cannot. Your state controls the hunting permission slip, and by default, access to those lands for the purpose of hunting. Telling NR to like it or go somewhere else does not seem like a good strategy in the long run, especially in this day and age of attacks on hunting. It doesn’t need to be binary using a like it or leave it attitude.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
“You either like the rules or go somewhere else simple as that”

I had to ponder your post a bit before replying to prevent a similar knee-jerk reaction as your post. Two rhetorical questions: I wonder how your post would be interpreted by the non-hunting crowd? Especially those that also use those same public lands. A second question: Do Bozeman and Missoula look the same as they did in the 1990s before several waves of new Montana ‘residents’ arrived?

Your post comes across as a very short-sighted attempt at reminding all NR that your state controls access, via hunting tags, to the public lands in your state. Your post seems to indicate your goal is to acquire as many of the hunting tags as you can, NR tough luck and go somewhere else.

A couple of things:
Like it or not, NR hunters contribute greatly to the bottom line of all the local communities. You can create an argument that a week or 10 days of NR spending doesn’t equate to the total dollars spent by a year long resident – probably true, but again seems a bit short-sighted, especially if you’re a business owner depending on those dollars. I’m fairly certain most business owners in the western small towns don’t complain about NR revenue from Sept to Dec. Do all the businesses in these small towns remain open throughout the year? I don’t have the answer but wonder if they could afford to shut down for 2-3 months after hunting season if the influx of NR dollars did not happen Sept to Dec.

A fair inference from your post, it seems that resident hunters are able to keep F&G budgets afloat. Wonder what the unintended consequences are – much higher resident tag fees? What happens when license sales can’t support F&G budgets? Funding becomes part of the general state budget? That should work well when all the new Montanans decide hunting is not a good idea on ‘their’ public lands. Colorado should be keenly aware of the impact of public participation in F&G topics.

At the end of the day, there exist ways to keep all of us in the game without resorting to ‘if you don’t like it, go somewhere else’. If your complaint is with over-crowding, that is an issue all hunters share, resident and NR alike. Why not tweak the system where we all can participate on a reasonable basis, hence my comment on ‘owning’ public land. As a resident you can buy a tag OTC, as a NR, I cannot. Your state controls the hunting permission slip, and by default, access to those lands for the purpose of hunting. Telling NR to like it or go somewhere else does not seem like a good strategy in the long run, especially in this day and age of attacks on hunting. It doesn’t need to be binary using a like it or leave it attitude.
Well said. Another unintended consequence of reducing the number of NR opportunities is how many fewer advocates there will be for the hunting and federal land issues. Many times, even the locals, can use all the help they can get to get good management/ideas implemented.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So the answer is just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result.
Sell 88,00 deer and elk tags to NR that includes ALL doe, bucks, bull and cow.
Residents are suppose to give up opportunity so NR don't
I get it
I ask again should I be able to tell Ten. or Indiana that there fish and game tag allotment be suited to my needs
You can agree or not, im not about to give up opportunity just so a NR can, especially for my grandson who was born and raised here his 19 years.
I came to montanavhunting as a NR 35 years ago now 32 as a resident there was welcome hunter signs in every town. Now you dont see hardly any even in the little po dunk towns so obviously its not as much as you think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the answer is just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result.
Sell 88,00 deer and elk tags to NR that includes ALL doe, bucks, bull and cow.
Residents are suppose to give up opportunity so NR don't
If you took that from either my post or the one before it, you are being purposefully obtuse.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow such big words.
In 2021 Montana sold more Resident Elk tags than they have alive elk do you think thats sustainable?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2023 Colorado issued 107,700 elk licenses for 280,000 elk, Montana issued apprx 156,000 elk tags for 151,000 elk you guys tell me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not quite sure how you derived "So the answer is just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result." from the above. No one is saying keep doing the same thing. We all recognize there is over-crowding in the elk/deer woods. What I object to is your very narrow, and frankly self-centered, view point as captured in this: "im not about to give up opportunity just so a NR can, especially for my grandson who was born and raised here his 19 years."

Your grandson gets an OTC tag by virtue of his being a resident - more NR isn't cutting into his ability to acquire a tag. What you are really saying is that you want more "opportunity" in the form of supposed less competition in the woods, NR can find somewhere else as long as you and your family, and I'll assume friends, have maximum "opportunity". I do wonder how that form of "opportunity" translates into higher kill percentages. I'd opine that a minority of elk hunters kill the majority of elk every year. Random luck occurs but luck doesn't seem to correlate well with consistent success. Expertise and hard work not so coincidentally relate to the amount of "luck" a person experiences. For a guy without expertise or not willing to work, that luck equation of no NR in the woods is not going to magically translate into more elk killed for residents, despite the increased "opportunity".

Then there is always the how to pay for all that G&F research and management you exposed upon earlier. The equation is conceptually fairly simple: Total revenue to G&F = (number of NR elk tags x cost of NR tag) + (number of resident elk tags x cost of elk tag). Your opinion presupposes resident revenue can make up for the missing NR revenue. How do you feel about paying $300 for your resident elk tag vs the $20 you pay now? Maybe some of your new California-Montana residents can help pay the shortfall - for some kind of increased use. At the moment, they use public lands for free. I ran into people hiking and mountain biking last year in CO during bow season. Maybe MT can put forth a ballot initiative to involve your new CA-MT "residents" to solve the funding shortfall. The revenue will come from somewhere and apparently you want to solve the problem with residents. Good luck - ask CO how thats going.

It is not the NR fault that F&G agencies have set up the game this way. In fact, residents and NR alike should be pissed that it has evolved into a money game. NR are not the enemy of your opportunity. They could make great allies if you can look past your need for greater "opportunity". We all want the same thing - maximum opportunity at an affordable price while minimizing over-crowding. Solutions exist to address this issue.

Carry on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
NR elk tags are only needed in CO because our libtard government decided to join the Division of Wildlife with the insolvent Division of Parks. So, a bunch of gun toting conservatives now pay for a bunch of liberal agenda parks. All these little state parks where the city folks come to on the weekends and hike in their Patagonia puffy's and LuLu leggings while smoking pot, are paid for by conservative hunters. I think it's about 80% of the park's budget comes from hunters, and if I remember correctly, that doesn't include Pittman Robertson funds. It's so f---ed up.

The liberals in the state want to ban (and actively do) guns and hunters and let wolves roam wild. And at the same time, the hunters are paying for all their liberal wildlife and park agenda items. Worse yet, they hide the fact where the money comes from. I can only dream of a day where at the entrance of the park there is a sign that says "Paid for by Colorado resident gun owners and hunters."

As for the NR hunters, there has to be significant preference given to locals. Reason being, our taxes are so damn high. I just renewed my pickup truck plate, three years old, $750. That's a NR elk tag equivalent and I have to pay that every year. And that's just one truck. NR elk tags should be twice that high.

What I really wish CPW would do is ban ATV's completely during hunting season - this alone would reduce applicants. There would be no McFifth-Wheel Toy-Haulers parked at the bottom of the valley with a fleet of UTV's. It would make hunting primitive again, park your truck and start walking. You couldn't buzz around all day road hunting, you'd actually have to be in the woods, or camp, or not show up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MM - agree 100% with your thoughts. I've spent alot of time in CO over the past 40 years and it's in a sad state of affairs. There is no doubt about the agenda banning hunting. They can't outright ban hunting or gun ownerhsip in general but tackle chunks that some are apathetic to. Once the low hanging fruit is gone, I wonder what the next tactic will be. I know for damn sure that we collectively need to stick together to have a chance.

My biggest thought on this whole topic is the sticking together part. Hunters and gun owners pay for the bulk of recreation opportunities we all have. As a NR, I'm OK with the current cost residents and NR pay. I'm good with paying sub$1000 for an elk tag. I'd like to see CO go to a draw system for all NR tags - as long as we don't end up with some kind of 90/10, 95/5 split. I simply want a reasonable opportunity to hunt elk somewhere every year - be it CO, WY, MT, ID - somewhere with decent elk populations.

I get all wound up when I see f' the NR, I want more opportunity speeches. This isn't the 1970s when we could hunt about anywhere, there wasn't over crowding, and tags were cheap. It's a different day - woods are crowded, tags are expensive and residents in some western states are being Californicated to death. I'd much rather be on your side than sitting on the sidelines.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve been hunting Colorado since 2004 with 2 years missed due to health issues. We’ve all heard the lame-assed whining about NR / R tag issues from both sides. Somebody needs to kick the Commission squarely in their collective nuts and demand sound wildlife management and allow them to set the rules to achieve the objectives and fire those on the Commission and CPW who fail.
From what I observe, there is little accountability in Colorado, Washington, and the other communist states run by democrats. So just Embrace The Suck, boys.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mountain 10mm i agree with you 100% but some wanna put words in my mouth.
bwinters read my posts again and answer my questions, not once did I say I wanted MORE opportunitie less if anything montana needs to cut all doe and cow tags to NR and alot for residents.
Once again is selling more tags than you have animals alive sustainable.
What tags should be cut NR or Resident
Once again I dont give a chit about FG budget untill they start management which is gonna have to be people.
Here's a challenge ask any Resident of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado if the would rather just keep issuing all the NR tags so the FG budget keeps the same or cut NR tags and figure it out. I think you know the answer.
You keep talking opportunities the NR want more opportunity the NR is the one going other places thats more opportunities not the Resident who hunts one state.
I'm a NR hunter if the states I hunt decide to cut NR tags then so be it ill either go less or stay home not bitch not my sand box.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/13/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If the success rate drops and the harvest stays essentially the same all they’re doing is generating income and crowding the woods.

Speaking to my little localized area I have almost never seen any NR outside of my camp kill an elk. Some locals we’ve come to know kill a bull fairly regularly. But outside of that I’ve seen two other NR kill a bull in over 20 years of hunting the third season in the same area. Many NR have showed up and hunted a couple days or even the whole season unsuccessfully and not returned the following year.

I’ll grant that this is a very limited scope but I know the overall success rate for OTC bull tags is low. It would be interesting to see the success rate split up by R v NR, and that info may be available I just haven’t found it. I firmly believe the old 10 percent of hunters kill 90 percent of the elk adage because that has been my experience.

From a strictly game management perspective it would be best for the animals to have more high $ tags for guys less likely to kill an animal and less cheap tags available for the local guy who knows the animals and the area. More elk survive hunting season and more money for habitat and research. Would the money get used for that, probably not since it’s a government entity.

I don’t like crowding and that would not be fair for residents. Complex problem without a simple answer.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve been hunting Colorado since 2004 with 2 years missed due to health issues. We’ve all heard the lame-assed whining about NR / R tag issues from both sides. Somebody needs to kick the Commission squarely in their collective nuts and demand sound wildlife management and allow them to set the rules to achieve the objectives and fire those on the Commission and CPW who fail.
From what I observe, there is little accountability in Colorado, Washington, and the other communist states run by democrats. So just Embrace The Suck, boys.

I have hunted Colorado since 1974. That is 49 years, Missing one elk season. Changing the CPW Commission is not going to happen. The chances of Colorado ever having a conservative Republican governor is slim to none and slim already saddled up and left.

Those democratic liberal governors will still be appointing CPW commissioners that follow the governor's agenda and we all know what that is. Then the democratic liberal majority legislators will pass any agenda the same governor has. Almost all of them are California transplants including the governor.
Get on the CPW web site and read the bios of all the commissioners. Sad to say, but right now and the foreseeable future, there is no way to do the kicking.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/13/23.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you think it sucks now, wait till the wolves run rampant.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
If you think it sucks now, wait till the wolves run rampant.
Its not gonna be good.
There trapping wolves in Oregon starting tomorrow and I will just about bet Colorado is gonna be getting there problem wolves, what I dont understand is why hasn't RMEF, MD foundation etc not sued Colorado to stop this.
Montana is constantly barraged from lawsuits from the wolf, g- bear wolverine lovers just like Malloy recent decision to not let trapping for wolves happen only from January 1 - Feb 15th.
Were are these groups at?
Oh and let's not forget the lovely BHA yeah right.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
what I dont understand is why hasn't RMEF, MD foundation etc not sued Colorado to stop this.
Montana is constantly barraged from lawsuits from the wolf, g- bear wolverine lovers just like Malloy recent decision to not let trapping for wolves happen only from January 1 - Feb 15th.
Were are these groups at?

I've gotten flamed for speaking against RMEF before and I'm sure here it comes again. They seem more concerned about buying 20 acres somewhere and writing about in their glossy magazine than protesting stuff that actually matters. I'm willing to bet, a lot of their donors are liberal, in line with flyfishermen and social sporting clay shooters that really aren't gun people or hunters as most of us would define them. And as such, they have to take a gentle approach to their activism. Just my opinion, and I have nothing against RMEF, I was a member before and wasn't impressed.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Cattlemans Assoc.Of Colorado has filed suit against U.S.F&W and CPW alleging they did not do required Environmental Impact study correctly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cattlemans Assoc.Of Colorado has filed suit against U.S.F&W and CPW alleging they did not do required Environmental Impact study correctly.
Good, ive been a RMEF member years i knew Charlie Decker when he started the RMEF but I'm done untill they start taking on stuff like whats going on in Colorado, all you BHA members should be to and letting them know why.
Flame me if you want, don't care anymore.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What is B.S with Oregon is theres not enough to take off the endangered list there but there is enough to give Colorado, that alone could be a way to stop Oregon

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
All of it is corrupt, and wolves are a done deal. Even though they destroyed three state's ecosystems when introduced in Yellowstone, it's coming here, and in less than two decades the largest elk herd in the world, won't be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All you guys are funny to think there is any “group” that can “take this on” in liberal states. They do it through ballot initiatives. They get enough democrats to sign the petition to get the “introduce wolves” on the ballet, then the democrats vote it into law protected by the Colorado constitution that was written by Republicans not that long ago. If the propositions fail then the liberal Colorado government pushes through with executive privilege. Colorado is lost politically.

If the wolves take off in Colorado, it will be nobody’s fault but the spineless Colorado residents..

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 12/13/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It can be done if enough groups stick together and do it, the libtards have done it many times in montana over the wolves and g-bears doesn't matter about the state gotta find a fed judge to rule an injunction.
When the government delisted the wolves the first time the wolf lovers sued and got them back on the list.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Justahunter
If the wolves take off in Colorado, it will be nobody’s fault but the spineless Colorado residents..

Todd

THIS ^^^

Probably the same ones who whine about NR licenses.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM

Todd

THIS ^^^

Probably the same ones who whine about NR licenses.

That is a direct insult to the slim minority that voted against the wold,introduction. It is not the spineless Coloradoans.

It was a very close vote. HOWEVER, and a point that many can't seem to grasp is, the population of Denver, Boulder, Ft Collins is greater than the rest of the state's population.Those cities are now filled with liberal anti-gun, anti-voters hunting transplant voters. The push for the wolf introduction, ban on trapping, spring bear hunting ban and now ban on mt lion/cat hunting is paid for by out of state funds.

Couple that with those same voters voting legislators and governors into office with same agenda.Then that governor has the ability to appoint all CPW commissioners that are of the same ilk. In the end,those commissioners set the regulations

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/15/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s meant to be an insult…

I’ll say it again in case there there is a coward that didn’t quite understand…

If wolves take off in Colorado, it will be nobody’s fault but the spineless Colorado residents.

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 12/15/23.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Up yours Justa

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Up yours Justa

Damn that's the Christmas Spirit smile Merry Christmas--Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys do know I’m a Colorado resident? I also live close to an established pack of breeding Colorado wolves? They’ll never get fully established around here.

Todd

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Because you don't live quite close enough?......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. Half of them got wiped out when they crossed back into Wy during wolf season. The rest will get it soon enough.

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bigger question is, why are there respectable Colorado residents on this site flaming me for having a non-coward stance on Colorado wolf management?

Todd

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I can't figure why you think as you do. I have never seen a post on here from a Colorado resident that favored wolf introduction. If you are such a non coward why weren't you out there having petitions to not introduce the wolf. How much money did you contribute the cause ? I was at every local CPW meeting and voiced my negativity to the proposal.

What have you done?

If you live close to a breeding pack and such a non coward, why weren't you out there killing them?

Lot of chest thumpers on this site like you. When it comes time for the doing, they are not around. Typical, all mouth and no action.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/16/23.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Wolves, Californians, cry baby non resident hunters. Enjoy! Can we interest you in a few grizzlies?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes. Half of them got wiped out when they crossed back into Wy during wolf season. The rest will get it soon enough.

Todd

Tell me about this wolf season where this occurred...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't figure why you think as you do. I have never seen a post on here from a Colorado resident that favored wolf introduction. If you are such a non coward why weren't you out there having petitions to not introduce the wolf. How much money did you contribute the cause ? I was at every local CPW meeting and voiced my negativity to the proposal.

What have you done?

If you live close to a breeding pack and such a non coward, why weren't you out there killing them?

Lot of chest thumpers on this site like you. When it comes time for the doing, they are not around. Typical, all mouth and no action.

Not quite sire, I’m on the board of trustees for the town I live in. Our local government including our county government couldn’t have been more politically involved in the opposition to this, we have the letters and I’m still very active in the opposition. As I said earlier, Colorado is lost politically, but I’m not going to quit trying but good for you for not having a clue about me and what WE do to oppose this…

Todd

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
“ but good for you for not having a clue about me and what WE do to oppose this…”

That’s exactly why we think you’re a jerk. You labeled us…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not at all, and I’m sorry you took it that way.. If Colorado’s people don’t stand up to this liberal agenda and policy in action, and do what is right when nobody is watching, then the results of those choices will be 100% deserved. And if you want to physically stand up to this when no one is watching, but you don’t have the balls to,.. you’re a coward. It’s that simple. Your vote as a concerned sportsman and conservationist in Colorado is NEVER going to count anymore .

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 12/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me spell this out for you clearly so I can quit hurting feelings, as this is the ONLY thing I’ve eluded to in this thread. If Colorado sportsmen and conservationist don’t want wolves, they are going to have to kill them every first chance they get. If they choose not to do that when they can and when they know they won’t get caught, they are cowards and will get 100% of what they deserve ..

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Todd

Tell me about this wolf season where this occurred...

The wolves wondered into Wyoming and got legally killed.

Todd

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's right.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Let me spell this out for you clearly so I can quit hurting feelings, as this is the ONLY thing I’ve eluded to in this thread. If Colorado sportsmen and conservationist don’t want wolves, they are going to have to kill them every first chance they get. If they choose not to do that when they can and when they know they won’t get caught, they are cowards and will get 100% of what they deserve ..

Todd

That I agree with and have always planned to follow it

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not at all, and I’m sorry you took it that way.. If Colorado’s people don’t stand up to this liberal agenda and policy in action, and do what is right when nobody is watching, then the results of those choices will be 100% deserved. And if you want to physically stand up to this when no one is watching, but you don’t have the balls to,.. you’re a coward. It’s that simple. Your vote as a concerned sportsman and conservationist in Colorado is NEVER going to count anymore .

Todd
I’m not dumb enough to proclaim on an open forum what I might or might not do about issues in my state.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Look at the Colorado wolves thread for a little tid bit of info

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Todd
I’m not dumb enough to proclaim on an open forum what I might or might not do about issues in my state.

Well… you kinda just did. As much as I did anyway. There I go labeling you again.. err wait….

Todd

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Little update, there flying the wolves to Colorado

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Too bad they didn't put Polis and his First husband in one of those crates and ship them back to Oregon.

All those CPW employees will be out of work in five years when there are not enough elk and deer to sell enough licenses to support them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad they didn't put Polis and his First husband in one of those crates and ship them back to Oregon.

All those CPW employees will be out of work in five years when there are not enough elk and deer to sell enough licenses to support them.

100%… I wonder how hard they’ll investigate…

Todd

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Never fear, the lost revenue from license sales of deer and elk tags will be more than offset by tourist dollars doing wolf watching sick

This wolf reintroduction is nothing short of a travesty. Apparently weve not learned anything from the Yellowstone reintroduction. The other thing, wolves would have been in the state soon enough as witnessed by the pack up by Walden. I get the "complete ecosystem" concept but this isn't Alaska or Siberia where they have 1000s miles to roam. It won't be long, livestock growers will be dealing with them. Maybe that's a side benefit - all the cattle and sheep I saw 5-6 miles into the backcountry this summer will absorb most of the hit. I can't see how those free range animals will fair too well against a predator they've never experienced.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Saddlesore it will not affect the CWP employees one bit if nothing else it will create more jobs and money. The Grant money will come flying in now why do you think the Nez Perce wanna help? MONEY!
G- Bears and Wolves bring in alot of money from our Gov.
its why you see alot of Bio's love them big time job security

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never fear, the lost revenue from license sales of deer and elk tags will be more than offset by tourist dollars doing wolf watching sick

This wolf reintroduction is nothing short of a travesty. Apparently weve not learned anything from the Yellowstone reintroduction. The other thing, wolves would have been in the state soon enough as witnessed by the pack up by Walden. I get the "complete ecosystem" concept but this isn't Alaska or Siberia where they have 1000s miles to roam. It won't be long, livestock growers will be dealing with them. Maybe that's a side benefit - all the cattle and sheep I saw 5-6 miles into the backcountry this summer will absorb most of the hit. I can't see how those free range animals will fair too well against a predator they've never experienced.
Tourist money won’t get to the wildlife side of CPW. It is not supported by tax money, just by license sales.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m in agreement with saddlesore & the kid. Went on my first elk hunt at 40 the year my dad passed without ever hunting elk. I’ll be 65 this year & haven’t missed a season in NW Colorado since. The idea of skipping a year makes no sense to me unless I’m injured or extremely broke.

But the wolves will likely make next year my last in Colorado. I’ll use 8 points for a cow tag and move to Utah, Idaho or somewhere else.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’m in agreement with saddlesore & the kid. Went on my first elk hunt at 40 the year my dad passed without ever hunting elk. I’ll be 65 this year & haven’t missed a season in NW Colorado since. The idea of skipping a year makes no sense to me unless I’m injured or extremely broke.

But the wolves will likely make next year my last in Colorado. I’ll use 8 points for a cow tag and move to Utah, Idaho or somewhere else.

Idaho already has wolves.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.