Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I recently discovered SageDynamics and while I know not to trust YouTube as I know first hand, most of the people doing reviews are really doing paid commercials, his videos did seem very informative. Some of the video's had me considering the RMR again, but I just don't think I can do it. I went to look at them at a local store yesterday and it was my least favorite. I understand it's probably the most durable and I like how thick the body is above the glass to protect it. However, that was about all that I liked about it. What I didn't like was the fact that you have to remove it to change the battery. This is a huge negative me to. I'm going to get this for a Glock 40, which is a pretty massive gun. I'm buying it 100% to hunt and target shoot with. It's much more likely that the batteries will die on me before a hunt than it is that I'll drop it from shoulder height on concrete and it land on the top (which is how SageDynamics broke his). I already find myself having trouble finding enough time these days to get to the range to check zero as often as I'd like. I definitely won't have time to go to the range to re zero it if the battery dies the night before a hunt. Now, I know the new RMR HD changes this, but it's also at a pretty significant increase in price. I've also talked to several people that have had them fail. I didn't realize a friend had one die on him. So while it may be more durable, they still seem to fail. I just don't think it's worth paying that much more and ending up having to do it again once the 5 year warranty is up.

I really liked the Leupold DPP. That's currently my top choice. Which is odd saying, because I'm not a Leupold fan. I really liked the large sight window. I know that SageDynamics broke the glass in two of them, but I just don't see a situation like that happening often. Although I'm sure it could. This is the way I'm currently leaning.

I was talking to a client last night after going to check them out, and he also has a Vortex Venom as well as an RMR. He also was pretty convincing that he wouldn't buy an RMR again. He hasn't had it fail, but his argument was that the battery change is an issue. He preferred the Venom and it's half the cost.

I'm a little tempted by a Holosun, and I have many co-workers that love them. We've had great luck with them at work. I don't like the limited warranty, but they aren't completely out of the running yet. I just really liked that Leupold more than I thought I would.

Overall, I'm sure the RMR is a great sight. I just don't think it's a great sight for me with the things I want.

Last edited by slowr1der; 10/28/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every decision need to be made on the pros and cons.

I would expect reliability and battery life will continue to improve.
However, you are looking at a system that has complex electronics,
A battery, a light source, and a lense.

Just as normal scopes, more parts, more complexity, more points of failure.

It you want maximum reliability, it's always going to be 2 pieces of steel.

But look around.
The number of guns with dots, utilized in life and death
situations, keeps increasing.

Those folks have decided the pluses outweigh the cons.

As for battery?
Change it before your annual zero check prior to hunting season.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m running a Holoson 407 on my Springfield XDM Elite 10mm and I’m happy. For my Glock 20, I just run fiber optic open sights as it’s a Gen 4. I have a PSA Dagger 9mm full size that of all things, I bought a Cylee Wolf 0 and I can’t kill the thing. For $120, I’m pretty darn impressed with it. Would I put it on a gun I’m carrying for bear protection, maybe not. I also have a Taurus TX22, which I upgraded and put a Lakeline slide cut for optics. I’m running a Riton RMRsc on it. So far so good on that, but let’s be real it’s a .22LR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So changing a battery every five years is that big of a problem for you?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I recommend the Aimpoint Acro 2, Steiner MPS, or the Holosun EPS.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I recently discovered SageDynamics and while I know not to trust YouTube as I know first hand, most of the people doing reviews are really doing paid commercials, his videos did seem very informative. Some of the video's had me considering the RMR again, but I just don't think I can do it. I went to look at them at a local store yesterday and it was my least favorite. I understand it's probably the most durable and I like how thick the body is above the glass to protect it. However, that was about all that I liked about it. What I didn't like was the fact that you have to remove it to change the battery. This is a huge negative me to. I'm going to get this for a Glock 40, which is a pretty massive gun. I'm buying it 100% to hunt and target shoot with. It's much more likely that the batteries will die on me before a hunt than it is that I'll drop it from shoulder height on concrete and it land on the top (which is how SageDynamics broke his). I already find myself having trouble finding enough time these days to get to the range to check zero as often as I'd like. I definitely won't have time to go to the range to re zero it if the battery dies the night before a hunt. Now, I know the new RMR HD changes this, but it's also at a pretty significant increase in price. I've also talked to several people that have had them fail. I didn't realize a friend had one die on him. So while it may be more durable, they still seem to fail. I just don't think it's worth paying that much more and ending up having to do it again once the 5 year warranty is up.

I really liked the Leupold DPP. That's currently my top choice. Which is odd saying, because I'm not a Leupold fan. I really liked the large sight window. I know that SageDynamics broke the glass in two of them, but I just don't see a situation like that happening often. Although I'm sure it could. This is the way I'm currently leaning.

I was talking to a client last night after going to check them out, and he also has a Vortex Venom as well as an RMR. He also was pretty convincing that he wouldn't buy an RMR again. He hasn't had it fail, but his argument was that the battery change is an issue. He preferred the Venom and it's half the cost.

I'm a little tempted by a Holosun, and I have many co-workers that love them. We've had great luck with them at work. I don't like the limited warranty, but they aren't completely out of the running yet. I just really liked that Leupold more than I thought I would.

Overall, I'm sure the RMR is a great sight. I just don't think it's a great sight for me with the things I want.

#cantaffordit

LOL

#nevergonnatrythisanyway

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MOGC
So changing a battery every five years is that big of a problem for you?

He's completely FOS.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have both RMRs and Holosuns.

For pure rugged reliability, I would take a Trijicon product each time.

Yes, the Holosuns, are cheaper, and many have held up well, but I have had a couple go bad on me. Fortunately the customer service has taken care of the issue. The fact is that I have a number of pistols that need RDOs, so the Holosuns make some sense, but if I was only going to have and use one, I would take the Trijicon product. 

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I do like the circle dot (donut type) reticle on the Holosun though. I have it on a .40 S&W G22 Gen 3 and it lets me shoot very tight groups.

I actually prefer it over the standard plain dot.

I tend to carry this RDO sighted gun a good bit and it is quite easy to get on target quickly.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I really like the Holosun 507C X2 Green with either the circle-dot or ACSS. Both have the shake awake option and 50k battery life so there's no messing with turning on or forgetting tio turn off!

Circle-dot is great but not as quick as the ACSS from awkward field positions......maybe better for a 22 or carbine.
[Linked Image]

ACSS carrot when centered properly.....helps with hold-over out to 100 yards
[Linked Image]
Genius large circle for centering the reticle quickly from tough positions.....naturally intuitive to acquire.
[Linked Image]
Had not seen the large circle as an aid to centering on the dot.

Finding the dot quickly seems to be an issue for me, thus the high co-witness irons.

More info on that large circle.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "donut of death." It is fast for real close-range stuff. It is too cluttered and distracting for me to shoot accurately at longer distances. I prefer the single dot for that. Whatever floats your boat. I actually kinda of prefer the open circle for fast acquisition burn it down shooting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I really like the Holosun 507C X2 Green with either the circle-dot or ACSS. Both have the shake awake option and 50k battery life so there's no messing with turning on or forgetting tio turn off!

Circle-dot is great but not as quick as the ACSS from awkward field positions......maybe better for a 22 or carbine.
[Linked Image]

ACSS carrot when centered properly.....helps with hold-over out to 100 yards
[Linked Image]
Genius large circle for centering the reticle quickly from tough positions.....naturally intuitive to acquire.
[Linked Image]
Had not seen the large circle as an aid to centering on the dot.

Finding the dot quickly seems to be an issue for me, thus the high co-witness irons.

More info on that large circle.

DF

DF,

Finding the dot quickly is an issue for the majority of people initially and will likely continue to be until it all comes together. Having a tall front sight is a good thing. I won't pretend to give you advice on learning how to shoot with the dot though. While I shoot with one, I am not at a level that I should be teaching, and there are far too many people out there who give advice about subjects that they are wholly unqualified to do so. I instructed shooting for years but the RDOs are unique.

I do find that having the tall sight helps me find my dot faster. Plus I have done and continue to periodically practice shooting with the dot turned off. Just using the optic sight window, and the front sight, to get fast hits at closer ranges. Normally out to about 10 yards. Really it is a matter of having a solid consistent presentation.

My G22.3 has a pretty wide window combined with a tall front sight, so making hits like this is not too tough.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The agency i retired from had gone almost exclusively to test dots (1200 officers) my son works there now. As i understand it. The transition class is either 16 ir 24 hours long and many hundred rounds fired. Finding the sight is an issue.
I have about 100,000 rounds through Glocks Ave it still took me a few boxes to get it.
My Holosun has a 3 reticle choice. I like this.
Battery life has been an issue.i change them them every 4-5 months.
I buy batteries by the 10 pack online for both my pistols abet my welding helmet

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The ACSS Vulcan reticle is one of the most useful and simply ingenius designs I've seen since the red dot came on the scene. I'd highly recommend giving one a go so you can see for yourself the benefit of the oversized circle for acquisition and the precision and flexibility of the carrot reticle. When the tip is on @25 you can place the bottom tails of the carrot on each side of someone's chest and connect @100 yards. Not to shabby for a pistol......

Did a quick search and found this video which did a decent job highlighting the benefit of the ACSS from akward positions.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would suggest a closed emitter unit or a trijicon rmr.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anyone use the Ruger Readydot?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My fav!

Sig P365 Tac-Ops, 6MOA red dot (not green),brightness settings, always on, no shake awake.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/30/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holosun EPS with the circle dot and solar backup is another good choice, so a closed emitter sight. The circle is fast and plenty accurate for any normal defensive distance. The dot is fine for accuracy/hunting. I don’t use the circle with dot at the same time, it’s too cluttered for my tastes.

If you are routinely struggling to find the dot, it’s because your fundamentals aren’t solid. I know that may sting, but it’s the truth. Although I like my irons to co-witness low in the optic, I would NOT use them as a crutch for finding the dot. You get the worst of both worlds trying to do that. Fix your grip, your draw stroke, and your indexing and you will start to find the dot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been running 2 Riton Enclosed Emitter Dots and zero issues. Another range day coming up, and 2 friends joining me, so I imagine at least 500 rounds downrange for each pistol. For a poor pistol shooter, the 3 MOA dot gets me on target fast. Mine are on a Glock 34 and an H&K VP9 Match.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.