C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Shrapnel said it best. Also he has the EXPERIENCE with those cartridges. I came to the same realization with a 270 win after being a die hard 30-06 guy. That 270 with a 130 is wicked. It behaves like a 264 win mag or even a 7 rem with 140s. Everyone can CM this and CM that, the 270 win a superior hunting cartridge. It's really not a debate.

You could have saved a few keystrokes and just told everyone you didn't understand exterior ballistics or SAMMI dimensions controlling chambers and ammo.

If one is going to use 130grs of bullet (and I do very, very often) then it's proper to reap the bennys of .264 inches of diameter and the Creedmoor case.

Less recoil, better bullet performance, much better accuracy, and more retained velocity at range meaning more REACH.

You are right in that it's not a debate, it's just objective facts.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John, I've seen you make some bombs and I know you get it. But come on, that CM is a man bun dude. If I'm running a 6.5, it'll be a 264 wm or a 6.5x284, and i have. But THE RIFLE, needs more than 6.5 in my opinion. I like that 270, always will. A 280 and 06 will always get it done. They aren't cool, I get it, but they are proven. Over 100 years of proof.

Exterior ballistics. Lmao. Who gives a schit.

WHO GIVES A [bleep] ABOUT EXTERIOR BALLISTICS?! Apparently you haven't tried to kill a large game animal with a 270, 280, or 06 lately. At 4000 yards, the 270 is carrying ZERO foot pounds of energy, which clearly means any cartridge invented before 2001 is an obsolete toy. WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?!

I know. Hold still deer while I get out my kestrel and level my rifle that shoots a 140 grain bullet sub sonic. Or. You can just set that bi%ch 1.75 inches high at 100 and zap stuff to 250. Then guess what, if you do have to make a longer shot, like 500 or so, you give you scope about 30 clicks and drill it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Among all the ideas and feelings of adequacy, Bob Hagel still makes a good point that few people recognize…

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Among all the ideas and feelings of adequacy, Bob Hagel still makes a good point that few people recognize…

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Once again. The truth.
People forget that 06 not only covers the continent from Prarie dogs to bears, it also ended the Jap and Nazi B.S.. , who by the way used 6.5s and 7mms. But they had exterior ballistics....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone finally came along and said it! A 270 might have worked for 80 years, but once the Creed showed up, it started bouncing off game. Deer, elk, squirrels. You name it. A 130 grainer in .270 can barely even penetrate cardboard well enough to sight in. Why can't you losers figure this out? Stick has been trying to teach you for years. But he can't do it alone! Now John Burns is carrying the torch, too! THE MOVEMENT IS GROWING! ALL THAT MATTERS IS ENERGY AND DROP AT 1000 YARDS. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'LL NEVER SHOOT THAT FAR. OR HALF THAT FAR. IT'S JUST WHAT MATTERS.
John, I've seen you make some bombs and I know you get it. But come on, that CM is a man bun dude. If I'm running a 6.5, it'll be a 264 wm or a 6.5x284, and i have. But THE RIFLE, needs more than 6.5 in my opinion. I like that 270, always will. A 280 and 06 will always get it done. They aren't cool, I get it, but they are proven. Over 100 years of proof.

I am just stirring the pot a bit in good 24hr CF tradition.

That said if you want to proclaim the .270 Win is "superior" you should be prepared for a bit of stirring of your pot.

All in good fun. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Someone finally came along and said it! A 270 might have worked for 80 years, but once the Creed showed up, it started bouncing off game. Deer, elk, squirrels. You name it. A 130 grainer in .270 can barely even penetrate cardboard well enough to sight in. Why can't you losers figure this out? Stick has been trying to teach you for years. But he can't do it alone! Now John Burns is carrying the torch, too! THE MOVEMENT IS GROWING! ALL THAT MATTERS IS ENERGY AND DROP AT 1000 YARDS. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'LL NEVER SHOOT THAT FAR. OR HALF THAT FAR. IT'S JUST WHAT MATTERS.

That said if you want to proclaim the .270 Win is "superior" you should be prepared for a bit of stirring of your pot.

All in good fun. grin

Same here. I was kinda hoping stick would get in on this one.
For what it's worth, I don't think the 270 is the best ever, I just think it's a better application for hunting big game. I like a 264 wm, 7 rem, 300 win, stw, rums, and did I mention I like a 30-06?

The rifle for different species, I could do it all with an 06 improved and a fast twist 243 win. At least for the states I hunt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

All in good fun. grin

For what it's worth, I don't think the 270 is the best ever, I just think it's a better application for hunting big game. I like a 264 wm, 7 rem, 300 win, stw, rums, and did I mention I like a 30-06?

The rifle for different species, I could do it all with an 06 improved and a fast twist 243 win. At least for the states I hunt.

Stick doesn't have time for this. He's too busy trying to EDUCATE EVERYONE BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WON'T LISTEN AND LEARN. Back in the 80s I worked in a saw shop with a guy who cut off his thumb trimming hedges. Best hedge trimmer in Alaska. And that's why if you aren't dialing your scope at least 50 clicks on every single shot your rifle is a POS. Think about it: a 30-06 drops 342 feet at 3000 yards. I've even seen a 30-30 round start to move backwards at 500 yards. Any animal you see "killed" with one of these imagination pretend "cartridges" is AI generated. You literally can't make this stuff up. It's science.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

All in good fun. grin

The only pot you're stirring has a flusher on it. You know as well as I do that at +700' sea level and within 300 miles of a Peruvian polar vortex the .280 loses roughly 89.57% of its penetration. Putting green tape on the scope will recover 11% of that but the other 78.57 is gone forever. And you think you're going to draw blood with it inside of 200 yards? WHY DO YOU KEEP SPREADING MISINFORMATION? Stick can't keep doing this all by himself.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Your hunting and shooting is parametric, you can pick something that works or you can pick something that works, is low recoil and shoots ballistically efficient bullets. Either way I suggest something mainstream and not something that resides down a rabbit hole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Once again. The truth.
People forget that 06 not only covers the continent from Prarie dogs to bears, it also ended the Jap and Nazi B.S.. , who by the way used 6.5s and 7mms. But they had exterior ballistics....
Want to know why the Japanese lost, grab an arisaka and work the bolt. They were never gonna win with that pile as their main rifle. I have one, took me about 15 seconds to figure out why there are no notches in the stock.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
[quote=hh4whiskey]I might have an opportunity for a used ULA/NULA at some point here, or to have something built. I’ll probably ditch some other, ‘good’ rifles to get one ‘great’ rifle. Thinking 280AI for all-around, or? Light enough gun to like carrying, good enough stock to not care that it’s so light. Accurate, dependable, and something you want to pick up every day for a deer stand or 5-days in the mountains, for everything short of big bears. Suppressor ready is best idea, but might live without it for the right gun.

Anyhoo, question is: would an ULA/NULA be ‘THE’ rifle for that mindset, or some other build?

For me it is "The" Kimber Montana. My favorite is a .30-06. I find the NULA stocks do not fit me very well where the Kimbers perform very well. Also, I prefer the Kimber 3-position safety on the bolt and a floated barrel.

I pondered one in .280 AI and it appears capable of performing very well. However, I do find a 165 grain .30 caliber handload comes close enough to any .280 AI load I am aware of to keep me happy. Also, some of the 200 grain bullets work very well in an '06 elkish game. Frankly, the main rason I prefer the '06 is availability if I run out of ammo.

I do have two other Kimbers, a Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and a .375 H&H Talkeetna. Their stocks also fit well.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 11/19/23.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 19352012

Once again. The truth.
Want to know why the Japanese lost, grab an arisaka and work the bolt. They were never gonna win with that pile as their main rifle. I have one, took me about 15 seconds to figure out why there are no notches in the stock.

The Japs lost because the were communist sacks of schit and tried to mess with America.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
THE RIFLE, needs more than 6.5 in my opinion.

Tell that to Charles Sheldon, who was using a 6.5 Mannlicher on brown bears, moose and sheep before the 30-06 was generally available. Or all the dead moose slain by Norwegians and Swede's using the 6.5x55 which appeared in 1894. Killing is about a quality bullet in the right spot - it's just not that complicated. It's the platform that holds the cartridge, and the optic that sits on it which more defines "THE rifle" than what it's chambered in, though I'd still be inclined it be chambered in a widely available round.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Japs lost because the were communist sacks of schit and tried to mess with America.

Uh, ok.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😉😉😉
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All in good fun. grin

Stick doesn't have time for this. He's too busy trying to EDUCATE EVERYONE BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WON'T LISTEN AND LEARN. Back in the 80s I worked in a saw shop with a guy who cut off his thumb trimming hedges. Best hedge trimmer in Alaska. And that's why if you aren't dialing your scope at least 50 clicks on every single shot your rifle is a POS. Think about it: a 30-06 drops 342 feet at 3000 yards. I've even seen a 30-30 round start to move backwards at 500 yards. Any animal you see "killed" with one of these imagination pretend "cartridges" is AI generated. You literally can't make this stuff up. It's science.

Buford,

Joining in November, you have a unique understanding of Big Stick for only being here a couple weeks or so…

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad

Uh, ok.
I am pretty sure there is even more to that executive summary.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Brad

Uh, ok.
I am pretty sure there is even more to that executive summary.

grin

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dancing Bear makes some excellent points about the Kimber in .30’06,
but for my preference at that recoil level , I would choose the Kimber Mt in plain 280 Rem for the panache and smooth feeding

bbl 22” / 24” Lilja twisted and throated to suit. Magazine length dictates a lot.

Hand loaded of course, there’s just not much factory 280 Rem on the shelves , Ha

In the NULA 24, I’d most definitely choose a 280 AI / 24”.

Not sure how a suppressor would impact this build,
might change things to a 7 PRC on a NULA 28 w / 20” bbl for similar down range performance

Last edited by 338Rules; 11/19/23. Reason: Clarifying thoughts on “The Rifle”

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

All in good fun. grin

Buford,

Joining in November, you have a unique understanding of Big Stick for only being here a couple weeks or so…

First of all, I've been lurking here since the late 80s. Used to cut big timber with a guy who invented WiFi. I never thought things would get so bad that I would have to make an account but Stick can't do this all by himself anymore.

Second, how many rifles does Stick have to throw in the creek before you'll listen? HOW MANY SCOPES HAVE TO BE TAPED? HOW MANY STOCKS HAVE TO BE PAINTED HIDEOUS COLORS BEFORE YOU'LL SEE THE LIGHT? He does it all for you guys and you just won't learn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First of all, I've been lurking here since the late 80s. Used to cut big timber with a guy who invented WiFi. I never thought things would get so bad that I would have to make an account but Stick can't do this all by himself anymore.

Second, how many rifles does Stick have to throw in the creek before you'll listen? HOW MANY SCOPES HAVE TO BE TAPED? HOW MANY STOCKS HAVE TO BE PAINTED HIDEOUS COLORS BEFORE YOU'LL SEE THE LIGHT? He does it all for you guys and you just won't learn.

You do have a lot in common with Big Stick.

He knows how to ruin a rifle and brag about it.

Liars do lie, this site hasn’t even here since the late 80’s

Logger that invented Wi-Fi had to be Al Gore.

And I’m sure he is proud to have you as a comrade in harms…

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.