Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I still haven't figured out what posting pictures of Leupolds with dead animals has to do with the scopes working correctly. Plenty of animals become dead every year with blister pack Tascos or cheapo bore-sighted package rifles. Doesn't mean the scopes track correctly or hold zero.

Given that the purpose of a scope on a hunting rifle is to aid in killing animals, how do you fault a scope that zeroed and held zero well enough to do its job?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I still haven't figured out what posting pictures of Leupolds with dead animals has to do with the scopes working correctly. Plenty of animals become dead every year with blister pack Tascos or cheapo bore-sighted package rifles. Doesn't mean the scopes track correctly or hold zero.
Exactly. Minute of deer means nothing.
A valid point that is lost on some people. The fans like to talk about LDS, but it goes both ways.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Exactly. Minute of deer means nothing.

That's a pretty goddam dumb comment. When minute of deer results in dead deer, what's the problem?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think point of reasonability for task at hand is lost on a certain group of obsessionists and merchants that shoot elr and sell elr gear somehow don't equate the difference between that and hunting/long range hunting?

So we're saying there is no element of trying to steal some of that leupold pie is going on in all this lds? Ok...sure

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 11/21/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Given that the purpose of a scope on a hunting rifle is to aid in killing animals, how do you fault a scope that zeroed and held zero well enough to do its job?
“Working correctly” is a relative term. Works correctly given the user’s requirements? Works correctly compared to the competition? These debates usually revolve around those two questions, but of course, consensus is never achieved because requirements and experiences vary widely.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I may have to come back here and eat my words after this winter lol, but stimulating some better perspective beforehand, and odds are in my favour as I already have tons of experience with leupold without issues so we shall see. Will see if they are still top hunting options or not. wink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

“Working correctly” is a relative term. Works correctly given the user’s requirements? Works correctly compared to the competition? These debates usually revolve around those two questions, but of course, consensus is never achieved because requirements and experiences vary widely.

yes, how bout works correctly for task at hand? hunting...do you use scopes built for elr military or competition, built like piano vs scopes built like house for 0-600 yard without all the extra fuss required for other things? even though they have gone with precision to way further than that for me, and others here in this thread too

there is no better turret for hunting than the cds-zl type, especially if you have it middled to your elevation/temp ranges and in speed dial format to yards, even with a 5000' gap in elevation and way below freezing to summer hot day temps you might see a difference of 2 clicks of mental corrections required at 600 that will still land you in a big game kill zone (maybe scare a coyote at worst case) even if you don't do them....and those are the least likely timeframes you need to use them anyway, you're locked on a mpbr zero for where 95% of hunting happens anyway, then the kiss solution for mpbr to 600 is sure seeming very reliable by those using them,

these ffp x-mas trees and mil clicks are an absolute roll on the floor bust yer gut joke when sold as hunting gear

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 11/21/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Because a scope doesn't have to be zeroed or hold zero to still kill animals. I see hunters every year who have trouble keeping a 6" group at 100 yards, whether due to poor shooting from recoil sensitivity, inability to see clearly, tremors, etc. Sometimes they have scope related problems as well, but that can be hard to discern when they're doing well to keep their bullets within a deer vital size target. So for them, "zero" is a rather loose term. Any yet those folks still kill game. Every year.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Because a scope doesn't have to be zeroed or hold zero to still kill animals. I see hunters every year who have trouble keeping a 6" group at 100 yards, whether due to poor shooting from recoil sensitivity, inability to see clearly, tremors, etc. Sometimes they have scope related problems as well, but that can be hard to discern when they're doing well to keep their bullets within a deer vital size target. So for them, "zero" is a rather loose term. Any yet those folks still kill game. Every year.
There are enough variables without the scope being one.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have High Master cards for both NRA long range and mid range competition, so I like to think I shoot at least OK. I have not noticed tracking issues with my 2.5x8 converted to CDS attributable to the scope. I have not shot it past 600 yards. I did have some tracking issues with that rifle once, but they were due to a scope base. I tend to think scopes, or barrels are always the first to be blamed for poor shooting form.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Spend more time killing, less time on the internet causing pretend problems and you will see that there in no better riflescope for hunting then a Leupold. Steel ringers and velcro patch players need not apply.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
lmao, savage

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Exactly! Everyone has a different idea of "good enough", plus if an individual has yet to experience a product failure (whether because of chance, limited use, or their own observations aren't precise enough to notice) they often tend towards trusting their own findings, even if evidence from others is contrary to their own.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Model 70. Like a Kimber but made for a man.
Sorry to hear about your micro penis. There are surgeries for that nowadays, and they might even rectify overcompensation through application of back window stickers.

Thanks for the tip.
Apparently you shoot a kimber. Does your husband hunt too?
The 90s called. They want their homophobia back, along with their idea that Leupolds were still functional scopes.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote

yes, how bout works correctly for task at hand? hunting...do you use scopes built for elr military or competition, built like piano vs scopes built like house for 0-600 yard without all the extra fuss required for other things? even though they have gone with precision to way further than that for me, and others here in this thread too

there is no better turret for hunting than the cds-zl type, especially if you have it middled to your elevation/temp ranges and in speed dial format to yards, even with a 5000' gap in elevation and way below freezing to summer hot day temps you might see a difference of 2 clicks of mental corrections required at 600 that will still land you in a big game kill zone (maybe scare a coyote at worst case) even if you don't do them....and those are the least likely timeframes you need to use them anyway, you're locked on a mpbr zero for where 95% of hunting happens anyway, then the kiss solution for mpbr to 600 is sure seeming very reliable by those using them,

these ffp x-mas trees and mil clicks are an absolute roll on the floor bust yer gut joke when sold as hunting gear

No kidding. Tacticool and virtual long range shooters have it figured out though. LOL.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
there is no better turret for hunting than the cds-zl type, especially if you have it middled to your elevation/temp ranges and in speed dial format to yards, even with a 5000' gap in elevation and way below freezing to summer hot day temps you might see a difference of 2 clicks of mental corrections required at 600 that will still land you in a big game kill zone (maybe scare a coyote at worst case) even if you don't do them....and those are the least likely timeframes you need to use them anyway, you're locked on a mpbr zero for where 95% of hunting happens anyway, then the kiss solution for mpbr to 600 is sure seeming very reliable by those using them

Two clicks on a 0.1 mil scope at 600 yards is 4.5 inches. That would put the center of your 600-yard group way out on the edge of the kill zone. If you could hit a 1 MOA target on demand at 600 and were shooting at an animal with a 10-inch kill zone and were off 2 clicks your 600-yard group would have more area outside of the kill zone than within.

edited to add: Actually, I was off a little. Area of 6" circle = 28.3 in^2. Overlapping area is 15.2 in^2, area remaining is 13 in^2 (rounded), so it's actually around 54% of the hit area inside the kill zone. Slightly higher than I guessed, still not great.

Last edited by Firth; 11/21/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Model 70. Like a Kimber but made for a man.
Sorry to hear about your micro penis. There are surgeries for that nowadays, and they might even rectify overcompensation through application of back window stickers.

Thanks for the tip.
Apparently you shoot a kimber. Does your husband hunt too?
The 90s called. They want their homophobia back, along with their idea that Leupolds were still functional scopes.

Personal experience trumps the internet, all day, every day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Firth
Maybe take it out to 1200 yards to prove your point a bit better.

Last edited by RemingtonPeters; 11/21/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dead animals=works correctly for killing animals.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This NF was replaced with a 4.5-14 CDS. It now sits in my gun room with a bunch of other over priced gun junk I thought would be better because it was more expensive. Wrong.
Leupold? Right!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 338rcm, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.