Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Remember the PS mantra:

White in Winter

Silver in Summer

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use Lucas in farm diesel when they fill up tank, and in my diesel trucks at pump, used it a long time.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use Amsoil Cetane Treatment and Fuel conditioner.

Outboard motor oil for lubricity for the pump.

Nothing mentioned above lubes the pump.

Never , ever use Power Service.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use the silver Powerservice pretty much year round (freezing not much of an issue). I DO get better mileage with it (probably cetane boost). Probably .5-.8 mpg. No, that’s not a bunch, but it’s MORE than enough to pay for itself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Powerservice with cetane boost .

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 25 years. ULSD fuels are much inferior to even the LSD it replaced. It has a lubricity problem, varying cetane numbers, and just overall inferior to yesteryear. I'm a big believer in additives, and use Hot Shot Everyday Diesel treatment every 3rd tank or so. I'll throw in an Amsoil all in one every now and then in the Winter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in October we started filling up loader tractors with #1.

Sure it's around another 50 cents a gallon but we really don't burn much dyed right now so it doesn't matter.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Lowes diesel additive

Do you mean Howes?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I always use Optilube XPD in our 2007 Ram 3500 and all of our other equipment (generator, tractor, dozer, excavator). We tend to keep our equipment for a long time and all of our equipment was made before the ULSD requirement came to be. Our 07 Ram was fortunately built in Nov. 2006 so was one of the last 5.9L built. I use the XPD mostly for its lubricity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 25 years. ULSD fuels are much inferior to even the LSD it replaced. It has a lubricity problem, varying cetane numbers, and just overall inferior to yesteryear. I'm a big believer in additives, and use Hot Shot Everyday Diesel treatment every 3rd tank or so. I'll throw in an Amsoil all in one every now and then in the Winter.

USLD certainly has a lubricity problem, but even 5% biodiesel brings the lubricity WAY up. Now, before you go run out looking for biodiesel, the stuff will also gel like nothing you’ve ever seen before in cool temps. Best keep it below I-20 in the winter time, or treat the ever-loving bejeebers out of it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I used Stanadyn, every tank. Lubricity is the problem that really hurts diesel engines these days, or so my mechanic brother tells me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Is this for diesel pickups, or equipment using red dye?
For my two diesel pickups, I have had good luck with plain old Diesel #1 in winter, down to -20F or a touch colder. Never had gelling issues with it in those temps.
At -20F and colder, I put an additional additive in. Power Service Diesel is good but honestly I have had good luck with regular Seafoam too.

Oh no.

Why did you say “oh no”? I had a pump rebuilt by a company in Oregon who is affiliated with Stanadyne and naturally they recommend Stanadyne. I also use Power Service products for diesel. For gasoline I use Seafoam, mainly because John Deere recommended it for my Gator. It has worked well in stored gasoline. The company who rebuilt my pump cautioned against using anything with alcohol in with diesel fuel. Seafoam says it can be used in diesel fuel but it contains alcohol. Is that why you made that comment?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Is this for diesel pickups, or equipment using red dye?
For my two diesel pickups, I have had good luck with plain old Diesel #1 in winter, down to -20F or a touch colder. Never had gelling issues with it in those temps.
At -20F and colder, I put an additional additive in. Power Service Diesel is good but honestly I have had good luck with regular Seafoam too.

Oh no.

Why did you say “oh no”? I had a pump rebuilt by a company in Oregon who is affiliated with Stanadyne and naturally they recommend Stanadyne. I also use Power Service products for diesel. For gasoline I use Seafoam, mainly because John Deere recommended it for my Gator. It has worked well in stored gasoline. The company who rebuilt my pump cautioned against using anything with alcohol in with diesel fuel. Seafoam says it can be used in diesel fuel but it contains alcohol. Is that why you made that comment?

He needs a little lube in his tank.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schaeffers Diesel Treat... raises cetane, increases lubricity in todays fuel... makes the the 7.3 purr like a kitten, gets a dose with every fill up...

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Last edited by M16; 11/22/23.
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Howes Diesel treat.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stringnut
OP honestly you shouldn’t need much in the way of fuel treatment in your area. The temps just aren’t cold enough to be an issue. Low sulfur fuels are much more resistant to gelling than the older stuff. I live in Michigan and we just don’t see freeze ups like we did before low sulfur. Using fuel from a reputable station is the best bet.

If you are worried about water contamination powerserve products are good quality. That is what we use at the Mack Volvo Hino dealer I work at.

Do not over treat. Some of the filter medias do not like that. Use what the treatment manufacturer recommends.

Fuel treatments do absolutely nothing to increase mileage, add longevity to your fuel system, or any other wild claims some of them make. They are to disperse water and improve flow in low temps. Some are specialized and kill algae in your tank. Hope you never get that.

Just for fun there is no such thing as premium diesel. All # 2 and #1 fuel have cetane ratings they have to conform to. Winter blend may vary a bit depending where you are in the country.

Ugh.......

Real diesel has to be several degrees below zero to gel.
ULSD can gel at 17, above.
The lower the sulfur, the quicker it gels.

Maybe you don't see that?
Good retailers take care of it by treating all fuel.

Hard lessons were learned the winter ULSD was introTemps.

Was hauling fuel at that time, a lot of scrambling and scratching to keep things
going. It didn't hurt us, we always treated. Our boss was a conservative worry wart,
we were far enough ahead. Our over treatment protocol covered the issues, but only
on the margins. We were using a Schaefer treatment, using their double treatment
protocol. It didn't provide the amount of gel protection forecast, but it was enough for our single digit negative temps.

There were other outfits not as prepared, and a lot of stuck trucks.

A garbage outfit installed tanks and we filled them in early November.
Their final permitting came through just before the cold spell.
Every truck they had was filled with summer fuel. And gelled up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22 years and over 350k miles on a 2001 Cummins and it is still running great. Usual deep winter cold at 8k ft. for most of those years but started immediately every single time and never any fuel gelling or contamination/water problem. Never had to open the fuel drain under the filter, and never used a drop of additive through all those years. Be sure to get good/clean fuel.

Down here in the high desert had some smoking at idle problems with a the 2003 Duramax. Added Stanadyne and it did a bit better, but then changed a worn HP pump and tubes/ejectors and back to great running. No additives now.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A person needs to find out if their engine needs an emulsifier or demulsifier. One is for engines that has a water filter and one that doesn't. Putting the wrong one in doesn't do much good.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/23/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I had my old Ford 5600 tractor engine overhauled it was real balky about starting on cold days. Here in Louisiana that is below 35F. I would pour in 5 gallons of kerosene and that helped a lot. After the overhaul it fires up on even 20F days without a problem. This summer I went against 24HCF advice and used about 5 or more gallons of filtered drained oil in the fuel. Sometimes as much as 1.5 to 2 gallons in a tank. So far ,no problems. I figure the fuel filter will catch any dirt. I've been told by people I trust that with today's diesel in that old tractor a little oil or trans fluid in the diesel will help.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.