Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
I've seen that before, but had no bookmark. Thanks.

Takeaway:

CONCLUSIONS:
Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an
HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the strictest requirements
requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.

Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an
HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for
maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.

Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to
perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This
is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other
components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities
behind these poor results will be investigated.

Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be
considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a
+/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Red dye (or 'high sulfer') diesel fuel is non taxed (where I am from anyhow) and only to be used in vehicles on non public roadways. That, plus tractors, generators, etc. I believe the sulfur levels were reduced for emissions reasons.[/quote]

Red dye, off road, fuel does not contain high sulfur content. It is the same as highway diesel. However, there is no road tax paid on it. Hence the red dye to identify it. If it had high sulfur you could not use it in any diesel equipment built after 2007. It plugs the dpf in short order. We are talking a few hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like Biodiesel is the runaway winner…….

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A person needs to find out if their engine needs an emulsifier or demulsifier. One is for engines that has a water filter and one that doesn't. Putting the wrong one in doesn't do much good.
Are there diesel engines that do not have water separator fuel filters?

Don't think I've seen one.

They learned from the Olds 350.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends on the engine and time of year.
The injectors in my old powerstroke need lubricant. ATF works, currently using 2 stroke oil.
The theory is the fact that it is meant to burn.

For anti gel in the winter in Fairbanks I have been using what Ford sells, I believe it is Stanadyne.

In 20 plus years of year round driving I have only had a problem once when I forgot the additive.

I use to run #2 heating oil year round, currently heating oil is #1 only.
Soon to be low sulfur.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A person needs to find out if their engine needs an emulsifier or demulsifier. One is for engines that has a water filter and one that doesn't. Putting the wrong one in doesn't do much good.

Of course...with the removal of the sulfur...trace amounts of water are not near as deleterious.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
There are no medium/heavy duty diesel’s currently made , that I know of, that do not have a water separator of some type. Usually it is part of the primary fuel filter. My 40 years of dealer experience is with Volvo, Mack, Cummins, Hino, and Mitsubishi engines.

Water is hard on the old PLN ( pump, line ,nozzle) and unit injector fuel systems. It is death for any thing with a common rail. At 27,000 psi water is actual abrasive.

If you really want some fun put def in your fuel tank. The last Volvo I repaired that had that done was on the far side of 15 grand. No sir, sorry, warranty does not cover that. Not even if the truck only has 800 miles on it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by 45_100
"I've been told by people I trust that with today's diesel in that old tractor a little oil or trans fluid in the diesel will help."

Then you shouldn't trust them anymore. Used diesel oil or trans fluid doesn't belong in the fuel tank of any vehicle.

There is a lubricity chart on the internet comparing several different additives to increase lubricity of ULSD. IIRC two cycle oil and ATF were best. For whatever reason used motor oil was not very effective. I would be cautious using anything other than commercial additives in the high pressure common rail systems. That would be after about 1998.

ATF contains plastics that can clog up fuel injectors.

That just sounds like horseschit to me. I used it for years in a 7.3 powerstroke.

Furthermore automatic transmissions have filters and small orifices, your saying ATF will plug a fuel filter but not a transmission filter!
Nonsense

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Them olds 350 diesel "DX" blocks make good racin' engines when converted to gasoline...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A test of additives in the past couple of years would be nice, not one's almost 20 years old.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"I've been told by people I trust that with today's diesel in that old tractor a little oil or trans fluid in the diesel will help."

Then you shouldn't trust them anymore. Used diesel oil or trans fluid doesn't belong in the fuel tank of any vehicle.
For all I know you may be right. What do you think about the use of new oil, light weight hydraulic oil, or outboard 2 stroke oil as an additive for more lubricity? Bear in mind I'm using a 1978 Ford 5600 tractor with good compression since it was overhauled and I usually don't put much over 300 gallons of fuel a year through it. I change the fuel filter about once a year and notice very little dirt so far.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been using ATF in my 99 7.3 since 2004. It now has 316,000 on the original set of injectors and purrs like a kitty cat.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stringnut
Red dye (or 'high sulfer') diesel fuel is non taxed (where I am from anyhow) and only to be used in vehicles on non public roadways. That, plus tractors, generators, etc. I believe the sulfur levels were reduced for emissions reasons.

Red dye, off road, fuel does not contain high sulfur content. It is the same as highway diesel. However, there is no road tax paid on it. Hence the red dye to identify it. If it had high sulfur you could not use it in any diesel equipment built after 2007. It plugs the dpf in short order. We are talking a few hours.

I'll take your word for it. I have been out of the daily driver diesel game for quite a while but back when I was, I was always told red dye was non highway use only and because of such, didn't have the sulfer restrictions.

I believe the sulfer content is also a state by state, county by county thing too, so there can be a lot of variability in the discussion.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I ran as a pilot car for 14 years driving my own truck. I ran an 01.03 and an 06 Dodge with the Cummins. I've run most of the additives and different oils and really didn't notice any difference in how my trucks ran so I quit adding anything to the fuel. I do all of the work on my trucks and logged over 700k miles between the three trucks. I am very particular about where I get fuel, and only use stations where big trucks go. When you leave Deadhorse late at night all by your lonesome you're rig has to run or you're going to be really cold. It's a ten hour run to Fairbanks and five to Coldfoot.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I believe the sulfer content is also a state by state, county by county thing too, so there can be a lot of variability in the discussion.[/quote]

Nope sulfur content is mandated by the EPA. There would be no way for the states to control what is being sold. There is no field test that will determine sulfur content.

As for putting trans or hydraulic oil in diesel fuel it is a big no on common rail , and late unit pump , systems. The fuel filters micron ratings have gotten incredibly small as fuel pressure has gone up. Way smaller than a trans , or hydraulic, filter. It doesn’t cause issues in older stuff as the filtering capability is much less.The problem lies in the additive package of the added oil. Compared to a fuel system , other systems, are comparatively filthy. The additives to combat this can cause issues with the media. Seen it happen early common rail , and , late unit injector systems. The filter media in the primary filter would be black and possibly collapsed. It does take a lot of added oil to cause this. However, by the time you change the lubricating qualities of your fuel, you are past this point. A gallon of trans fluid, in 300 gallons of fuel, is not likely to cause harm. However, it is not going to do anything for you.

Diesel fuel provides all the lubrication the system needs. Early failure of fuel system components is caused by contamination. This can be abrasive contamination, or , water.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Southern States here sells 50 Cetane at the same coin as most places sell 40.

I am convinced the HP and MPG improvement is better by 10%+

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Older 12 valves and 7.3s run on about anything above goat piss... same with older equipment.

Newer stuff... use GOOD FUEL and Stanadyne (or equivalent) to improve lubricity and keep those ultra high pressure injectors happy.

A 12 valve injector is $25-$40...

A 6.7l injector ain't...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stringnut
Nope sulfur content is mandated by the EPA. There would be no way for the states to control what is being sold. There is no field test that will determine sulfur

What I meant was some states/counties go beyond what the EPA mandates. They’re more restrictive than federally required.

I run a 91 Cummins and a 99 Power Stroke.

I know next to nothing about newer diesels, nor their emissions requirements or details.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Nykki
I ran as a pilot car for 14 years driving my own truck. I ran an 01.03 and an 06 Dodge with the Cummins. I've run most of the additives and different oils and really didn't notice any difference in how my trucks ran so I quit adding anything to the fuel. I do all of the work on my trucks and logged over 700k miles between the three trucks. I am very particular about where I get fuel, and only use stations where big trucks go. When you leave Deadhorse late at night all by your lonesome you're rig has to run or you're going to be really cold. It's a ten hour run to Fairbanks and five to Coldfoot.

Yep.

We only run additive when it's cold.
Millions of miles are driven with no additive.

Daily additive is unnecessary I believe.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Older 12 valves and 7.3s run on about anything above goat piss... same with older equipment.

Newer stuff... use GOOD FUEL and Stanadyne (or equivalent) to improve lubricity and keep those ultra high pressure injectors happy.

A 12 valve injector is $25-$40...

A 6.7l injector ain't...

The older mechanical systems prior to about 1998 will run on a variety of fuels including vegetable oil, hydraulic, oil, #2 diesel, #1 diesel and kerosene which is similar. I have always considered additives such as Stanadyne a fuel preservative to prevent bacterial growth and fuel degradation. Not sure about the lubricity but can’t hurt. He is right about the injectors. Electric injectors are pricey.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,222
Posts18,485,592
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.