Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
What I meant was some states/counties go beyond what the EPA mandates. They’re more restrictive than federally required.

Not poking, simply asking but "how?" How can a state/county mandate a more restrictive sulfur content AND get it from the refinery which may be several states away?

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great question. I am unsure. I am just relaying what I have been told by others in the fuel industry and my experience includes aviation fuels, which may throw a wrench into things.

Maybe particular jurisdictions have regs affecting the import of fuel to some central processing facility by whatever means, treat it however needed then distribute it to their sell point or vendors?

Some counties/states require certain octane levels (I believe Montana, or at least particular counties there mandate 87 octane minimum in regular fuels (excepting that flex fuel cap) and also require some sort of additive). Some areas restrict ethanoled fuel (Alaska, I believe). Other areas mandate ethanoled fuel (Kali, I believe, or did at one time anyhow).

Maybe the same sort of distribution/treatment process is done with what I just typed above? I dunno….

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of my truck shop customers back in the late 1970's had a special fuel additive- - - -5 gallons of gasoline in a 100 gallon tank, topped off with Diesel fuel. The old B-73 Mack he drove always ran well, and the injectors stayed very clean.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Howes because todays fuel doesn't lubricate sufficiently

Long live the NRA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by stringnut
I believe the sulfer content is also a state by state, county by county thing too, so there can be a lot of variability in the discussion.

Nope sulfur content is mandated by the EPA. There would be no way for the states to control what is being sold. There is no field test that will determine sulfur content.

As for putting trans or hydraulic oil in diesel fuel it is a big no on common rail , and late unit pump , systems. The fuel filters micron ratings have gotten incredibly small as fuel pressure has gone up. Way smaller than a trans , or hydraulic, filter. It doesn’t cause issues in older stuff as the filtering capability is much less.The problem lies in the additive package of the added oil. Compared to a fuel system , other systems, are comparatively filthy. The additives to combat this can cause issues with the media. Seen it happen early common rail , and , late unit injector systems. The filter media in the primary filter would be black and possibly collapsed. It does take a lot of added oil to cause this. However, by the time you change the lubricating qualities of your fuel, you are past this point. A gallon of trans fluid, in 300 gallons of fuel, is not likely to cause harm. However, it is not going to do anything for you.

Diesel fuel provides all the lubrication the system needs. Early failure of fuel system components is caused by contamination. This can be abrasive contamination, or , water.

I have a 96 powerstroke, I did not buy it new, but have owned it for 23 years. It was a daily driver until the last 5 years.
Initially I used ATF in the fuel, a couple of ounces each tank on fill up.

Then, for one reason or another I quit.
I started having a noisy injector on startup, it would go away as it warmed up. I didn't really know what it was and more or less ignored it.
Overtime it got to the point the noise would not go away.

Asked a local diesel shop about it, he asked if I was adding lubrication to the fuel?

I was headed to Homer the next day and added some lube to the fuel. By the time I got to Homer (600 miles) the noise was gone, I have used some type of additive ever since and it has never come back and I have never changed that injector.

From my experience, a couple of ounces of lube is essential in a old PS.

Since then fuel at the pump is all low or ultra low sulfur, pretty sure its pretty dry fuel in terms of providing lubrication. I can only assume the newer diesels are designed to operate with out lube.

Using heating oil in a low sulfur diesel will cause expensive headaches very quickly.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I see the same treatments in Ontario I do in Iowa.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by logger
I always use Optilube XPD in our 2007 Ram 3500 and all of our other equipment (generator, tractor, dozer, excavator). We tend to keep our equipment for a long time and all of our equipment was made before the ULSD requirement came to be. Our 07 Ram was fortunately built in Nov. 2006 so was one of the last 5.9L built. I use the XPD mostly for its lubricity.
Originally Posted by logger
I always use Optilube XPD in our 2007 Ram 3500 and all of our other equipment (generator, tractor, dozer, excavator). We tend to keep our equipment for a long time and all of our equipment was made before the ULSD requirement came to be. Our 07 Ram was fortunately built in Nov. 2006 so was one of the last 5.9L built. I use the XPD mostly for its lubricity.

I started using Optilube about 8,10 years ago. I one and a half times dose. I noticed the biggest difference in my 2001 5.9. Quicker starts specially, in cold weather not that it ever had a problem starting :-) my 7.3 and 6.0 Run great start great, Can’t tell you that there was a Difference but they run great so I just keep using it. Little pricey, though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All Y'all are welcome for that PDF, and I've posted it before on here and other forums many times. They spent a lot of time & money doing that study, so it's best to spread it far and wide. For myself, I use TCW3 two stroke oil AND Power Service DK & CB in every fill up. It cost about $5 per tank at today's prices, and both of them can be found at any truck stop or walmarx. I've noticed minor improvements in MPG and engine noise, but since my 7.3L PSD wasn't designed for ULSD it makes me feel better about adding a little lubrication for the fuel system, as bio diesel ain't available everywhere.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
All Y'all are welcome for that PDF, and I've posted it before on here and other forums many times. They spent a lot of time & money doing that study, so it's best to spread it far and wide. For myself, I use TCW3 two stroke oil AND Power Service DK & CB in every fill up. It cost about $5 per tank at today's prices, and both of them can be found at any truck stop or walmarx. I've noticed minor improvements in MPG and engine noise, but since my 7.3L PSD wasn't designed for ULSD it makes me feel better about adding a little lubrication for the fuel system, as bio diesel ain't available everywhere.
Some of the comments tells me some fellers didn't look at that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you use Biodiesel exclusively, I know it costs a little more , but the grease from the FF's lubricate the crap outa yer diesels.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
1. Lubricity
2. Cetane improvement
3. Injector cleaning
4. Water emulsification/de-emulsification
5. Anti-gelling

Any other reasons one might want to treat diesel fuel?

1 and 2 I think everyone can use. Probably the easiest way to keep (3) injectors clean is to use it like a truck and run it "hot"; not as a grocery getter. I won't use an (4) emulsifying additive on my '11 Superduty to avoid water in any form going through the injector pump and injectors. That's what the water separating filter does. (5) Anti-gelling additive seems to be location specific.

The tests that have been done seem to be focused on lubricity primarily. PF was decent regarding cetane and gelling.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd...you guys must change injectors about as often as you get new tires!

Haha!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Haha!
Who does?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Haha!

I missed the part where folks saying they changed injectors?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You miss a lot.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender

Haha!
Who does?

People who don't run 50-50 diesel to ATF.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You been drankin jimmy?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just finished off a 12 pack of Heineken here.
And the T'givings peace pipe has been lit... Or what I heard on Facebook.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/24/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What were you all talking about again?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
You been drankin jimmy?

Not yet.

Just got done gutting my son's first deer.

I am MAGA.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.