Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Weatherby is having a Black Friday sale so I picked up a Accumark left hand 300 Wby at a decent price. I also completed a special order for a Lefty 340 Wby. This will be my first experience with a Weatherby Mark V rifle. The custom shop allows you to change stock finish and offers more color choices for the cerakote, floor plate, bolt, muzzle brake, barrel, etc. They quote 180 day delivery so I'll find out soon. I was surprised they do not charge sales tax and offer free shipping. Both rifles together cost less than one HS Precision. 1 inch guarantee so will see how they perform. Not a fan of 26 inch barrels but they can always be cut down.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one in .257 WBY. Great shooting rifle and the short and smooth bolt throw will really surprise you. The only downfall with mine is it's heavy and long. I have some much better options to spot and stalk with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
was the sale on the Weatherby website only? I could sure use another quarterbore in my stable for the right price...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Sale was on Weatherbys site, did not include custom builds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The "Sale" was not a very good one. After waiting a month for Weatherby to ship the rifle they finally agreed to cancel the order. I decided to change my mind and looked for their Backcountry model and found a fantastic deal on one in 300 Weatherby ($2100). Picked it up from my dealers yesterday.
Love the stock on this model, it is made by Peak 44. Combination of green and brown in carbon fiber. Stock is trim and recoil pad seems very nice. All metal parts are cerakoted and the bolt travel is very smooth. It weighs 6 pounds on my scale (empty). Triggertech trigger. Once I add a Zeiss V4 3x12 scope, a sling, and 3 in the magazine it will be pushing 8 pounds. It also comes with a removable brake and a thread capper. Could be awhile before this rifle gets any range time as I bought it for future potential Alaska hunts and possibly Elk.
My gut tells me recoil will be brisk without the brake, but manageable.
I still have the Accumark in 340 Wby on order. They quote 6 months for custom orders so.....time will tell. Am glad I ordered the 340 in the Accumark model as the extra weight will tame the recoil somewhat.
Will update this thread after I examine the Accumark in 6.5-300 Wby as I just picked one of these up as well. Was going to put off buying this one but found a year end killer deal for $1600 and couldn't resist.

UPDATE: The Accumark is a slightly "beefier" version of the Backcountry. Slightly bigger stock (maybe a B&C?), bigger barrel, etc. On my scale it weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces empty. Trigger breaks nice and crisp and bolt travel is smooth, especially for a new rifle. The action and bolt are cerakoted and the barrel is unfinished stainless steel. Removable brake and thread capper as well. Plan is to add a Zeiss V4 4x16 scope. I suspect it will weigh right around 10 pounds loaded and ready to go.

Difficult to offer a comprehensive review without actually firing a weapon. So all I can say at this point is I think there is good value in these rifles. All models have the Weatherby MOA guarantee. I like the Backcountry model better. But wanted to buy separate models to make it easier to identify the rifle and chambering.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.