Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Weatherby is having a Black Friday sale so I picked up a Accumark left hand 300 Wby at a decent price. I also completed a special order for a Lefty 340 Wby. This will be my first experience with a Weatherby Mark V rifle. The custom shop allows you to change stock finish and offers more color choices for the cerakote, floor plate, bolt, muzzle brake, barrel, etc. They quote 180 day delivery so I'll find out soon. I was surprised they do not charge sales tax and offer free shipping. Both rifles together cost less than one HS Precision. 1 inch guarantee so will see how they perform. Not a fan of 26 inch barrels but they can always be cut down.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one in .257 WBY. Great shooting rifle and the short and smooth bolt throw will really surprise you. The only downfall with mine is it's heavy and long. I have some much better options to spot and stalk with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
was the sale on the Weatherby website only? I could sure use another quarterbore in my stable for the right price...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Sale was on Weatherbys site, did not include custom builds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The "Sale" was not a very good one. After waiting a month for Weatherby to ship the rifle they finally agreed to cancel the order. I decided to change my mind and looked for their Backcountry model and found a fantastic deal on one in 300 Weatherby ($2100). Picked it up from my dealers yesterday.
Love the stock on this model, it is made by Peak 44. Combination of green and brown in carbon fiber. Stock is trim and recoil pad seems very nice. All metal parts are cerakoted and the bolt travel is very smooth. It weighs 6 pounds on my scale (empty). Triggertech trigger. Once I add a Zeiss V4 3x12 scope, a sling, and 3 in the magazine it will be pushing 8 pounds. It also comes with a removable brake and a thread capper. Could be awhile before this rifle gets any range time as I bought it for future potential Alaska hunts and possibly Elk.
My gut tells me recoil will be brisk without the brake, but manageable.
I still have the Accumark in 340 Wby on order. They quote 6 months for custom orders so.....time will tell. Am glad I ordered the 340 in the Accumark model as the extra weight will tame the recoil somewhat.
Will update this thread after I examine the Accumark in 6.5-300 Wby as I just picked one of these up as well. Was going to put off buying this one but found a year end killer deal for $1600 and couldn't resist.

UPDATE: The Accumark is a slightly "beefier" version of the Backcountry. Slightly bigger stock (maybe a B&C?), bigger barrel, etc. On my scale it weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces empty. Trigger breaks nice and crisp and bolt travel is smooth, especially for a new rifle. The action and bolt are cerakoted and the barrel is unfinished stainless steel. Removable brake and thread capper as well. Plan is to add a Zeiss V4 4x16 scope. I suspect it will weigh right around 10 pounds loaded and ready to go.

Difficult to offer a comprehensive review without actually firing a weapon. So all I can say at this point is I think there is good value in these rifles. All models have the Weatherby MOA guarantee. I like the Backcountry model better. But wanted to buy separate models to make it easier to identify the rifle and chambering.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The 340 finally came in. If it shoots as good as it looks it will be a deadly killing machine for anything in Alaska. Photos will not post here so send me a PM if you would like to see it. The fit and finish is excellent.

1 member likes this: 375TN
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Perhaps the most versatile caliber Weatherby ever built.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You ought to look at my Near mount in the classified
I had it on my Ultra lightweight. They are one of the nicest mounts for a Weatherby in my opinion. A work of art and very rigid.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 338reddog
You ought to look at my Near mount in the classified
I had it on my Ultra lightweight. They are one of the nicest mounts for a Weatherby in my opinion. A work of art and very rigid.

Beautiful mount. Unfortunately I already purchased Talley lightweights for the rifle.

A few Weatherby thoughts:

As a country boy before the internet we were isolated. Didn’t know a catholic or who Roy Weatherby was for the longest. Then one day I met a catholic in Boy Scouts and read a Mack Bolan book from the library. That is not a joke. I spent more time in the hay field by myself than civilization.

I don’t remember the issue, but Bolan was sniping with something called a 300 Weatherby Magnum. It was a bad man killer.

I’ve always loved the longer barrels on magnums like the Weatherbys. I’ve always loved the square forearms that fit my hand nicely, and I’ll always regret not convincing myself to buy the beautiful blued 460 in left hand at the Gonzales Cabelas gun library for something like $1,200.00.

I’ll also regret never buying the 26” SS with black flutes LH in 30.06 for either $849 or $899. It had a grey synthetic stock with the black paint spatter. That must be a rare bird since the only thing I can find even on GB is that rifle chambered in 30-378.

Craig Boddington said somewhere the worst recoil out of the plethora of rifles he has shot was easily the 378 Weatherby. It’ll be interesting to read how bad you think the 340 is.

Last edited by 375TN; Yesterday at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added a thought.
IC B3

Originally Posted by TheShootist
Originally Posted by TheShootist

I have zero experience with Weatherby’s creations. Can you elaborate on this and educate me? Are all of these based on a blown out 375 H&H case with a more abrupt shoulder? If that is the case, are all of these actions express length?

375TN #19436502 Yesterday at 08:12 PM
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For starters, I reload. I’m also an engineer so I tend to absorb useless data like a dry sponge picks up water. So, to versatility.
If you go to the old “just one rifle for anything” and then start with what’s a great Bear or Moose rifle? Many would say 375H&H and they would be correct. If you look at reloading data (Nosler 7) and picked the fastest max load for a 300 grain bullet out of the 375 H&H It pushes a 300 grain bullet out the pipe at 2600 fps. But the 340 Weatherby is faster with a 300 grain bullet at 2726 fps. Both shooting Nosler Accubonds.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, deer. Nosler’s lightest bullet for the 375 H&H is 260 grain and it will push that out the barrel at 2793 fps. Pretty heavy for deer but not exactly flat shooting. The 340Weatherby starts to shine here as it has a broader selection of pills. The 250, gr which is neck and neck with the 375 at 260 grains, but then you also have more lighter options with the 340 you have 225 gr, 210 gr, 200 gr and my personal favorite for deer, the 180 grain nosler accubond. Noslers data shows a max load pushing that at 3364 fps! That’s smoking! Potent deer medicine on a string line. I have a custom 340 Weatherby that for some reaso, actually chronographs that 180 grain bullet at 3401 at just under max. I don’t have to have a rangefinder to hunt deer under 400 yards. I think that defines versatility. I think Roy hit this one out of the park.

Also, I’m not telling anyone to shoot at maximum loads but just sifting through the available data.

Last edited by TheShootist; Yesterday at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.