Run a sierra 85gr hpbt out of a 26" barrel going at 3917fps nothing lives

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by steveredd1

From a .243 Steve? I shot a 240Wby a few years, I got that speed with the 75gr Barnes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Get a stout bullet that doesn't have a soft front end and let the rodeo begin.
What bullets would those be exactly in .243" ? I've killed deer with 100 gr. interlocks, 100 gr. core-lokts, 100 gr. power shoks, 95 gr. SST's, 85 gr. Sierra HPBT and didn't find any to be overly "stout". In fact I've recovered examples of all those bullets from deer and all were anywhere from "well and fully mushroomed" with significant weight loss to "well and truly fragmented" in bits and pieces.

In my experience monos mainly. I did shoot a few with the Hornady 87 grain BTHP and didn't care for them, found a couple that were together, expanded but not to my liking.

Wasn't a fan of the 95 grain SST early on or the 85 grain HPBT Sierra. Both seem hard.

Of the 100s I liked Hornady BTSP and the Sierra Gameking. Buddy likes the 100 grain Speer boattail. Typical exit hole about like a golf ball, sometimes bigger if you could catch bone going in and out.

85 grain Sierra Varminter SP, 80 grain Sierra Varminter BTSP were both very fast killers. The 85 Sierra SP was all dad's 6mm ever shot from '78 until I tried a 100 grain Sierra Prohunter semi pointed in about 2014/2015.

I have killed a handful with a Partition which has a very soft front end.

Currently have the 90 grain Ballistic Tip on deck for the 6mm.

Never did mind a bullet that was in several pieces. Those were fast kills for sure.

Even when I was using 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 7mm and 300 Magnums I was using a soft bullet, Gamekings generally. Same fast kills, just more damage than was needed for a 200# animal IMO.
Most of the Sierra 85 HPBT fragmented for me. Not enough penetration to suit me. Turns lungs to goo but doesn't often exit unless a pure broadside shot behind shoulder. SST's much the same. Very destructive but not much penetration if any significant bone/meat is hit. Both ruin a lot of meat if shoulder is involved. I certainly wouldn't call any of the above mentioned bullets "hard". You can keep your "soft" bullets. They don't offer the penetration and consistent exits from hard angles I want.
Never tried pushing them on you, just stating what has worked well for me, my dad and several buds that shoot the 24 calibers.

Which 170 from the 30-30?
Winchester Silvertip, though I've used 170 power shok, 170 power point and 170 Sierra FP at various times and found them to perform satisfactorily. The Silvertip was my favorite for many years until discontinued. They have been replaced in recent years by the Sierras in front of a max charge of CFE 223 for 2240 fps and they're doing just as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I understand where BH is coming from about deer in heavy cover. Smaller bullets deflect very easy when hitting an unseen twig, but its the patiently waiting ( as those old pharts and their 6mm Rem/Mod 742) did for the good shot, and they liked the easy recoil/fast follow up shots if he ran. Its not a bad method, not one I cherish, as I too have seen even a 175gr Clkt from my 7mm Rem Mag "turn into a puff of smoke" when it hit an unseen small twig that was between me and the close range crow I shot at! In fact, right after that, on a whim, I traded that heavy Browning BAR. I stopped at Oshman's in Beaumont, after a NG Drill in '75, and i swapped "even" for a Model 870 with vent rib, Modified choke in 3" 12ga. PLUS. a little Marlin 1894 44 Magnum. I know, I got out of there fast! That little Marlin was one of the very fastest Timber rifles I have ever had. It made big exit holes in deer and hogs both, big blood trails. Sometimes they dropped/kicked around, sometime they ran, but not far. Blood everywhere. I'm a believer of heavy calibers in the woods, but even they can deflect, sure, but usually a big chunk will hit, leaving blood to follow.
The "biggest, most effective help for me" was later, in Fall of 1976 I started Bow Hunting for real. I would shoot one deer in Archery Season and one in Rifle/Shotgun Season, but I used my old 30-30 or my dad's jammomatic Mod 742 30-06 (both with irons) and used Bow Hunting Techniques. IOW I "learned how to hunt the Timber". I had sold the Marlin to a friend who couldnt live without it) I did that 5 yrs running. But my heart took me back to rifles...and I got an oddball rifle/caliber/3x9 scope that all the old pharts told me "would not work" in those woods! A "bolt action" Ruger 77 in .280 Remington. I had put 1" mounts on my .22 the summer before to get used to a scope in the woods. I was 24, my first scope, Montgomery Wards (made by Tasco) I guess the Old Pharts forgot us youngsters shot each others military surplus bolt guns a ton! ha B ut that Archery season (October) I still Bowhunted and shot squirrels, with the scoped .22, Then put the scope on the Ruger in (November-January 3 )rifle season. A 150gr Clkt at 15yds,scope on 3x, made a 12 pt run exactly another 15 steps and fell, 2 " exit hole blood everywhere! I was a happy boy. When I killed a 11 pt at 10 steps with my bow, I was accused of "sticking an arrow into the bullet hole", why? Those Old Pharts said you cant get that close to wild deer! yeah. So there is alot of Life that can either help a young person, stearing them right, or hurt them, stearing them away from the Sport. "We "Old Pharts should help anyone who will let us. Some don't want our advice, that's cool, I deal with that most every Altar Call I give, ha.
Happy Thanksgiving Guys! (wrote while sitting here recovering "yet" from another surgery, whoopee!

Years ago a prominent outdoor writer constructed a baffle box filled with wooden dowels to shoot various bullets through at a target set a distance behind the obstruction of the box. The manner in which he built and set up the box allowed him to shoot through the box at the target and then measure how far off the bullet impact was from the center of the target. The damaged dowels could be replaced and a new shot fired with the same consistency as the previous shots. In that testing the .243 Winchester 100 gr. spitzer did very well and was deflected less than some other rounds that were thought of as "brush cartridges."

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I understand where BH is coming from about deer in heavy cover. Smaller bullets deflect very easy when hitting an unseen twig, but its the patiently waiting ( as those old pharts and their 6mm Rem/Mod 742) did for the good shot, and they liked the easy recoil/fast follow up shots if he ran. Its not a bad method, not one I cherish, as I too have seen even a 175gr Clkt from my 7mm Rem Mag "turn into a puff of smoke" when it hit an unseen small twig that was between me and the close range crow I shot at! In fact, right after that, on a whim, I traded that heavy Browning BAR. I stopped at Oshman's in Beaumont, after a NG Drill in '75, and i swapped "even" for a Model 870 with vent rib, Modified choke in 3" 12ga. PLUS. a little Marlin 1894 44 Magnum. I know, I got out of there fast! That little Marlin was one of the very fastest Timber rifles I have ever had. It made big exit holes in deer and hogs both, big blood trails. Sometimes they dropped/kicked around, sometime they ran, but not far. Blood everywhere. I'm a believer of heavy calibers in the woods, but even they can deflect, sure, but usually a big chunk will hit, leaving blood to follow.
The "biggest, most effective help for me" was later, in Fall of 1976 I started Bow Hunting for real. I would shoot one deer in Archery Season and one in Rifle/Shotgun Season, but I used my old 30-30 or my dad's jammomatic Mod 742 30-06 (both with irons) and used Bow Hunting Techniques. IOW I "learned how to hunt the Timber". I had sold the Marlin to a friend who couldnt live without it) I did that 5 yrs running. But my heart took me back to rifles...and I got an oddball rifle/caliber/3x9 scope that all the old pharts told me "would not work" in those woods! A "bolt action" Ruger 77 in .280 Remington. I had put 1" mounts on my .22 the summer before to get used to a scope in the woods. I was 24, my first scope, Montgomery Wards (made by Tasco) I guess the Old Pharts forgot us youngsters shot each others military surplus bolt guns a ton! ha B ut that Archery season (October) I still Bowhunted and shot squirrels, with the scoped .22, Then put the scope on the Ruger in (November-January 3 )rifle season. A 150gr Clkt at 15yds,scope on 3x, made a 12 pt run exactly another 15 steps and fell, 2 " exit hole blood everywhere! I was a happy boy. When I killed a 11 pt at 10 steps with my bow, I was accused of "sticking an arrow into the bullet hole", why? Those Old Pharts said you cant get that close to wild deer! yeah. So there is alot of Life that can either help a young person, stearing them right, or hurt them, stearing them away from the Sport. "We "Old Pharts should help anyone who will let us. Some don't want our advice, that's cool, I deal with that most every Altar Call I give, ha.
Happy Thanksgiving Guys! (wrote while sitting here recovering "yet" from another surgery, whoopee!

Years ago a prominent outdoor writer constructed a baffle box filled with wooden dowels to shoot various bullets through at a target set a distance behind the obstruction of the box. The manner in which he built and set up the box allowed him to shoot through the box at the target and then measure how far off the bullet impact was from the center of the target. The damaged dowels could be replaced and a new shot fired with the same consistency as the previous shots. In that testing the .243 Winchester 100 gr. spitzer did very well and was deflected less than some other rounds that were thought of as "brush cartridges."
Wayne Fears?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That test has been done by about every damn gun writer in the business for over 60 years. Jack O'Connor wrote about doing similar in "The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns" published in 1961. All of them came to the conclusion that ALL bullets will be deflected in a completely undeterminable manner to one degree or another. Jack however did find and I quote "Heavy bullets with round or flat points that travel at moderate velocity get through brush better than light, fast, sharp pointed bullets. At one time I carried out extensive experiments on the deflection of bullets by brush, twigs and limbs. The conclusion I reached was that the best brush bucker was the heavy, non spinning rifled slug and that the poorest was the fast, light, sharp pointed bullet such as those used in the .220 Swift and the .24's. I found that the best rifle bullets were those on the order of the 200 grain jobs for the .35 Remington and .358 Winchester but the hunter should remember that ANY BULLET is liable to be deflected."

I personally do not use the heavier, larger caliber bullets because I have any delusions that they'll remain true after coming in contact with brush/limbs and always look for and shoot through an open path to the vitals from whatever angle that may be. I prefer the heavier, larger caliber bullets because of their ability to penetrate from bad angles, break bone and provide a larger, more consistent, leaky exit wound. As a side note, I just killed another doe early this morning with my .30-30 and handloaded 170 gr. Sierra. Range approx 45 yards. Broadside behind the shoulder through the lungs, 1.5" diameter exit wound. She ran about 40 yards leaking profusely before hitting the dirt. Typical.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I remember reading that with interest. It tended to run counter to the old school "brush bucking" school of thought. The overarching message was that NO bullet/caliber should be considered a "brush bucker."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1

From a .243 Steve? I shot a 240Wby a few years, I got that speed with the 75gr Barnes.

RL17 is your friend here, 45.5grs, got 3900fps + out of 2 shilen 26" match barrels

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BH, I wont argue with you that I prefer a bigger caliber when encountering any and all possibilities of shots, although I've killed plenty with a 6mm.

I shoot mostly 30 caliber but that's mainly because I just happen to have plenty of 30-06's along with a 308 in the mix.

I gotta say though I've been thoroughly impressed with the somewhat diminutive 35 Remington in albeit limited examples so far. A broadside 80'sh yard shot behind the shoulder on a smaller buck resulted in going virtually no where. Blood all over. A shoulder shot on a larger doe at just over 100 yds flopped her over belly towards me and not sure she even kicked.

And one if not my largest buck at a tick under 100 yds on a steep downhill shot and hard quartering away. Bullet entered high and back, went lengthwise and exited just behind the off shoulder. He made it 60 yds, stumbling hard the last 20, blood out both sides. That bullet had to traverse a long ways to exit but still did a lot of damage to the lungs. That was the Speer 180 FP.

In all cases you could eat right up to the hole. Extremely limited bloodshot, including the shoulder shot doe. I got a lot of confidence in that round at reasonable ranges.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We used the 150 Clkt in our 30-30s on those small SE Tx deer. I've owned several Mod 336s in 30-30, and they just seem to like the 170 and even 190 (Hawks) even better. I actually like the Ackley version better, just looks neat to me. A 30-30 is an awesome hunting rifle! Many elk are still killed with them in the Youth hunt. I have a Pristine 1974 (yr my twin girls were born) Safe Queen being tweaked right now, reamed to the Ackley. Its a meat getting tool, aint it?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Killed my first Mule Deer, Elk,and Pronghorn, with a 30-30 model 94 that I borrowed from my grandfather, sense that time i have owned several 336 and 94's in 30-30, there's no fly's on the 30-30. I have always liked the 94's light and handy saddle gun or truck gun. Rio7

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
My boys have probably killed 20 to 25 whitetail deer with 243 Winchester and 85 grain partition over the last ten or so years. When they first started killing deer with 243 I was amazed at how well it kill and even posted about how impressed I was with the little bullet. The more they use it the less impressed I am with it (deer always run even when one or both shoulders broke, skimpy to nonexistent blood trails, etc).

The only load they’ve ever used on game is Nosler 85 grain partition loaded to right at 3,000 FPS in a Remington model 7 with 18 1/2 inch barrel.

Several years ago I bought 1,000 of partition 2nds cheap.

I realize my issues started when I started using the new lot of the partitions 2nds. Anyone think it’s possible that this lot of partitions aren’t expanding? Or maybe after they don’t have enough base left to leave good blood trails after the front blows off? Or is it simply bad luck?

Thanks

I used the 85 grain Partition for a couple of years out of a 243 pushed right at 3000fps. While it always gave excellent penetration I found exits to be small and wound channels not so wide. The dumping of some 35 grains of core was really not all that impressive. I had much better results with the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, 105 gr. Speer, and oddly the 85 grain Sierra BTHP.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RIO7
Blackheart, What ever your drinking or smoking tonight is a little to much your comments are not making sense, come back when your sober. Rio7
I don't drink or smoke. Your comprehension appears to be lacking. I've killed deer with centerfire .22's too, .222, .223 and .22-250. I don't care for them in heavy cover either but they're fine for hunting fields or open woods.

Well that's it then, you make a good argument for cigars and whiskey.

Dog I rescued in January

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
In all cases you could eat right up to the hole. Extremely limited bloodshot, including the shoulder shot doe. I got a lot of confidence in that round at reasonable ranges.
That's another thing I really like about the moderate velocity rounds, they're easy on meat compared to the high velocity rds with soft bullets. I had a .35 years ago. I couldn't detect any noticeable difference in it's effectiveness over my .30-30 so eventually sold it as .30-30 ammo and components are cheaper and easier to find. It's a fine deer round for sure but for me the .30-30 is more practical and does the same thing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We used the 150 Clkt in our 30-30s on those small SE Tx deer. I've owned several Mod 336s in 30-30, and they just seem to like the 170 and even 190 (Hawks) even better. I actually like the Ackley version better, just looks neat to me. A 30-30 is an awesome hunting rifle! Many elk are still killed with them in the Youth hunt. I have a Pristine 1974 (yr my twin girls were born) Safe Queen being tweaked right now, reamed to the Ackley. Its a meat getting tool, aint it?
I got my first .30-30 in 1979 and it's been a constant companion for my woodland deer hunting ever since. I have tried many other rifles and cartridges over the years but always come back to it. It's been a dependable deer killer for me for all these years and I love the handling characteristics and balance of the traditional tube fed lever guns for hunting on my feet in the woods.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Blackheart, What ever your drinking or smoking tonight is a little to much your comments are not making sense, come back when your sober. Rio7
I don't drink or smoke. Your comprehension appears to be lacking. I've killed deer with centerfire .22's too, .222, .223 and .22-250. I don't care for them in heavy cover either but they're fine for hunting fields or open woods.

You've always been kind of a dick. Does it just come natural to you or is it something you have to practice ?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You've always been kind of a dick. Does it just come natural to you or is it something you have to practice ?

So noted, comes natural. That said I agree that the 243 is not the end all to deer rifles and bigger guns more likely to leave a good blood trail in thick brush. However it is hard to trust a guy who says whiskey is of no value to him.

Dog I rescued in January

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like my .243 Remington rifle for long shots out on the prairies of South Dakota for pronghorn antelope. Always one shot kills for this amazing animal. But I do believe that this cartridge has limitations. I would NOT recommend it for truly large game animals including elk, moose, and the great bears. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

So noted, comes natural. That said I agree that the 243 is not the end all to deer rifles and bigger guns more likely to leave a good blood trail in thick brush. However it is hard to trust a guy who says whiskey is of no value to him.
Alcohol of any kind is incompatible with my medication.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Alcohol of any kind is incompatible with my medication.

Well you are getting pretty close to 6 feet down if that is the case. Whiskey and Tamaget are my only actual medications.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.