Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have always wanted a single shot in 45/70 since watching Quigley down under. A buddy has a 1885 BPCR in 45/70 I like the look of that gun with the octagon to smooth barrel. This would be more of a fun range toy than a dedicated hunting rifle. Anyone have experience with this rifle and how it compares to the standard 1885?

GB1

F
F
The Browning BPCR is a good rifle. It was made in Japan by Miroku. If you are referring to an original Winchester 1885 as a comparison, the internal workings are much different. The Miroku version is much more complicated. If you are looking to compare it to other Miroku models, there are differences in stocks, sights, and barrels. The BPCR came with a Badger barrel and most folks consider them to be quite accurate. I have a Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter in 38-55 and had the opportunity recently to shoot a friends Browning 1885 BPCR in 40-65. Both are very nice rifles in my humble opinion. I think you will be happy with the BPCR if you decide to get it. Of course you will need a Sharps to go Full Quigley.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the response, I have been looking at the different sharps replicas and some are cheaper than I'm seeing the few BPCR rifles on gunbroker. Would the badger barrel be worth the extra cost in your opinion over say the standard 1885 browning?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Badger or not, I've never had a Browning 1885 that didn't shoot lights out with the right load.

F
F
I would say the BPCR would be worth it if you are looking for the best accuracy and plan on shooting it more from the bench or from crossed sticks. If you plan on doing a lot of offhand shooting or carrying the rifle for long distances like hunting, a lighter rifle may be a better choice. I have no experience with the sharps replicas, but if I was in the market I would be looking for a Shiloh or a C sharps. I know it's easier said than done, but it would be nice if you could handle and shoot them before making a decision. Also as Biebs points out, any barrel can shoot well and I wouldn't get hung up on barrel maker.

Last edited by fayettefatts; 12/01/23.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jlink280
I have always wanted a single shot in 45/70 since watching Quigley down under. A buddy has a 1885 BPCR in 45/70 I like the look of that gun with the octagon to smooth barrel. This would be more of a fun range toy than a dedicated hunting rifle. Anyone have experience with this rifle and how it compares to the standard 1885?

If you want to be "Quigley" you need an 1874 sharps. As far as the difference between Browning 1885 replicas, one is that early ones were made without a receiver tang on which to mount a sight

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll agree that a Brownchester Miroku is a sweet rifle. I have a couple which are very accurate (but no .45-70's, can't speak to that). In fact I would personally rate them a bit higher than the venerable Ruger #1 (gasp), and I truly love the Ruger. Miroku's just have a smoother action and possess a certain "solid feel" that the Ruger lacks, and the adjustable triggers on the later ones I have are very nice (but I recognize that other's experience in that regard isn't the same).

What I don't like about the Miroku's is the complexity of their innards - quite different from the simplicity of the original Winchester 1885. A small detail, indeed. I also judge the coil spring driven hammers to not be as "snappy" as the original flat mainspring M1885 also. Again a small detail.

To the OP: there's a lot of cool/neat falling block single shot .45-70's out there, all of which have good and less good points, but all are quite capable of delivering good fun. Also, don't ignore vintage originals, especially if they've been re-barreled in modern times alleviating them of "collector value". Some bargains priced comparably to "modern" used versions can be had in that regard.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know what price the Browning is going for. I do know that if you look it should be pretty easy to pick up a Shiloh or C Sharps 45-70 for $1800-2200. I have owned the Browning BPCR in the past and I have nothing bad to say about it, but there is just something about the Shiloh 1874 that just feels right. If you like the center hammer and want an 1885, C Sharps makes a great one. If the price is anywhere close, I would go with the Big Timber guns any day.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a .45/70 Browning B78 in 1976 and have put many pounds of deer and elk in the freezer. 99% of the bullets through it was lubed cast or paper patch and it would average an inch and a half. It weighed close to 10 pounds and got too heavy for me to lug around, so I sold it about 5 years ago. I miss it! I'd say buy your friend's 1885 and enjoy!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I am a left handed shooter that is one reason the 1885 browning peak my curiosity. Would the hammer on a 1874 hinder a left handed shooter. The last time i picked up a sharps was probably 20 years ago and the one I handled was a 22 hornet. Thanks.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Would the hammer on a 1874 hinder a left handed shooter.

Doesn't to me. The hammer is quite pronounce and is easily reachable from the left.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I really like the 1885s, both low wall and high wall. Mine have all been Miroku-made and have been accurate, well-built rifles. Once you have one, it will be very difficult to part with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always wanted a single shot in 45/70 since watching Quigley down under...I am a left handed shooter that is one reason the 1885 browning peak my curiosity.
Originally Posted by tmitch
If you want to be "Quigley" you need an 1874 sharps.
Originally Posted by fayettefatts
I have no experience with the sharps replicas, but if I was in the market I would be looking for a Shiloh or a C sharps.

...and fortunately for you it appears that the answer to all of these observations goes up for auction next weekend (Click Here). It's almost like a sign from above that you should go buy this rifle. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Seriously though, as a left-handed shooter too, I do have a Browning 1885 chambered in a smaller .44 Magnum with a similar round to octagon barrel like the BPCR that I like a lot (pictured below with my gunsmith). I shot a deer with it a month ago during Mississippi's primitive season & it worked great. I also have a much larger Winchester 1885 Safari Octagon in .375 H&H and a Traditional Hunter in .405 Winchester. All of these are excellent rifles that I really enjoy shooting a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those .44s, not scoped, and it’s a favorite. Needs some deer blood on it, but I’m probably through for the year, and definitely ain’t shooting another doe, all that’s left now for conventional firearms.

They are very nice rifles, and about all I want to carry these days. The High Walls are pretty heavy.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cool, I have one in 223. Very accurate and real purrty. Had one in 6.5x55, yep sold it...... 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had one in 300 WSM that I 110% regret selling. Way cool rifle.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Seriously though, as a left-handed shooter too, I do have a Browning 1885 chambered in a smaller .44 Magnum with a similar round to octagon barrel like the BPCR that I like a lot (pictured below with my gunsmith). I shot a deer with it a month ago during Mississippi's primitive season & it worked great. I also have a much larger Winchester 1885 Safari Octagon in .375 H&H and a Traditional Hunter in .405 Winchester. All of these are excellent rifles that I really enjoy shooting a lot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

That's a nice little rig! What's the weight?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Winchester 1885 is a 22 hornet, an accurate and fun gun.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joe
That's a nice little rig! What's the weight?

3,622 grams which puts it 7 grams shy of 8# with the scope. I started off shooting a Hornady 225gr LEVERevolution but felt I got better accuracy with a lighter Remington 180gr UMC JSP. The last deer I shot with it required zero tracking as I shot it through the heart at 50 meters.

My Ruger No. 1 in 303 British also has a fixed 6x (a Leupold) & weighs 3,639 grams. So this little Browning 1885 is 17 grams lighter than my #1A while having a slightly longer barrel. Of course shooting an older style Malcolm scope is a bit like looking through a straw with a narrow field of view but where I hunt, it's kind of a fun rifle to take out during primitive season. It's slender & feels small compared to my big Winchester 1885's with their 28" octagon barrels.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have the same 1885 Low Wall in 44 mag and took a mulie doe with it last month. It's a handy little rifle and mine will put heavy Hawk spitzers into 3 inches at 100 yards with the iron sights consistently, more than adequate for the situations I would use this rifle in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.