Campfire Tracker

GB4

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SupFoo

But then that is what 'Shall not be infringed' means......

smile

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A federal judge in Virginia on May 11, 2023 also ruled that 18 to 20 year olds had the right to purchase a handgun under the 2nd amendment, but nothing has change in Virginia or any other state that I know of. I suspect this ruling will be ignored also.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, the left only raises mobs to empower decisions with which they agree. This will be kept quiet.

Dale

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Let 'em say what they want because they'd say it anyway.
If someone's old enough to fight for this country, they're old enough to buy a handgun.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Muffin

smile
Yep, the Founders wanted a wide distribution of firearms, the better to deter tyranny.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Old men from their Ivory Towers want to ban 18-20 aged people from buying a firearm....or a beer but think nothing of sending the youngsters off to die in a country that's not worth a pile of dog s hit!! We need a RECKONING!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Muffin

smile

The left does not respect or follow the Constitution. It's past time conservatives understood that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This law was so stupid, and it's great that it's overturned.

When I was 19, I got my NYS permit to purchase, own, and carry handguns concealed. In NYS, you need that permit to do any of the above. When it arrived in the mail, I went right to the local gun shop and tried to buy my first handgun (a stainless Ruger Speed Six), but was told that it was against Federal law for them to sell one to me. However, I was informed, Federal law didn't prohibit me from receiving one as a gift.

The gun store owner, therefore, arranged for one of his salesman (who also happened to be a cop) to purchase it and give it to me as a gift. I also gave that man a commensurate gift of cash. No law against exchanging gifts, after all, LOL.

It's nice that young people don't have to go through these types of methods to get around that stupid law anymore.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

When I was 19, I got my NYS permit to purchase, own, and carry handguns concealed. In NYS, you need that permit to do any of the above. When it arrived in the mail, I went right to the local gun shop and tried to buy my first handgun (a stainless Ruger Speed Six), but was told that it was against Federal law for them to sell one to me. However, I was informed, Federal law didn't prohibit me from receiving one as a gift.

The gun store owner, therefore, arranged for one of his salesman (who also happened to be a cop) to purchase it and give it to me as a gift. I also gave that man a commensurate gift of cash. No law against exchanging gifts, after all, LOL.

It's nice that young people don't have to go through these types of methods to get around that stupid law anymore.
The very definition of a strawman purchase...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Washington State SC ruling on the subject turning down the right for buying handguns under 21 included a desenting opinion. The Judge pointed out many things including the surprising number of 14 year olds earning the Medal of Honor.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 12/02/23. Reason: Frigging Autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Lots of things were different in the old days. Fathers routinely bought guns and handed them to kids. Kids hunted alone regardless of the legal technicalities. Shucks, kids HAD fathers. That itself was pretty different.

I remember one kid, 15 at the time, who saved his grass cutting money and bought a 700 BDL 30-06. Negotiated the deal himself and his dad picked it up for him. He wishes he still had that gun….. Times were different. 🫤

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our 20 year old daughter and her fiancée both want to buy handguns.

They work, pay taxes, make the payments on their cars, phones, house(they are remodeling). He is registered with the selective service. And would be draft eligible.
They don't drink, or use any drugs.

Why in the hell can't these two buy guns?

They are "Better Citizens" than most.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They may have changed the definition since then, but at the time, at least, it wasn't a straw purchase unless the end recipient was otherwise unqualified to own or possess a handgun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You might be "misremembering" those details. I grew up in NY and could not get a permit until I was 21.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They may have changed the definition since then, but at the time, at least, it wasn't a straw purchase unless the end recipient was otherwise unqualified to own or possess a handgun.
The definition of straw purchase:
a criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves.

It doesn't matter why the person is legally unable to buy it. It might be age or a criminal record or maybe citizenship.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
You might be "misremembering" those details. I grew up in NY and could not get a permit until I was 21.
I got my N.Y. state pistol permit when I was 19 years old as well, back in 1975...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The definition of straw purchase:
a criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves.

It doesn't matter why the person is legally unable to buy it. It might be age or a criminal record or maybe citizenship.
Yes, I remember when they changed the definition to that, but forty years ago, you had to be legally ineligible to own/possess it as a condition for it being an illegal straw purchase.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I got my N.Y. state pistol permit when I was 19 years old as well, back in 1975...
Yep, definitely not misremembering. I remember it quite clearly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.