-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 37 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 36 37
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was being sarcastic. It was a jab at RM's young universe belief.

I agree that many aspects of the mosaic books have historical elements, such as the flood. There are others that are simply explanations of natural events that used the supernatural to explain.

I also believe that Jesus and many other's in both the old and new testaments are likely based real persons. But I don't think the book is infallible.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.
The whole book of Genesis is fiction? Or just the creation story?
Genesis covers a lot of time and territory. Maybe billions of years.

Naw... Only 6000 years... /s
Whatever. But I would bet a lot of the book has a basis in real events. Cain and Abel could have been two tribes where a bunch of nomadic herders wiped out some farmers that were irritable over the nomad's animals eating their crops. As to the flood, we know the ocean spilled over into what is now the Black Sea, the deposing of Esau in a conspiracy by Jacob and his mother is believable. The slaughter of the Shechemites by Simeon's and Levi's men could easily be based in an event. Moving on further into the other books the destruction of Jericho probably did result from an earthquake at an opportune time. The David and Goliath story is believable in that a teenage sharpshooter could knock a huge opponent unconscious and then behead him with Goliath's own sword.

Surely a lot of the bible including Jesus' parables are allegories meant to convey a lesson but there are many cases where the historical parts have some basis in fact and real events. I'm sure the writers took some liberty and license in their recording of long ago oral history.
Exactly.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.

Whatever. But I would bet a lot of the book has a basis in real events. Cain and Abel could have been two tribes where a bunch of nomadic herders wiped out some farmers that were irritable over the nomad's animals eating their crops. As to the flood, we know the ocean spilled over into what is now the Black Sea, the deposing of Esau in a conspiracy by Jacob and his mother is believable. The slaughter of the Shechemites by Simeon's and Levi's men could easily be based in an event. Moving on further into the other books the destruction of Jericho probably did result from an earthquake at an opportune time. The David and Goliath story is believable in that a teenage sharpshooter could knock a huge opponent unconscious and then behead him with Goliath's own sword.

Surely a lot of the bible including Jesus' parables are allegories meant to convey a lesson but there are many cases where the historical parts have some basis in fact and real events. I'm sure the writers took some liberty and license in their recording of long ago oral history.
Studies have recently identified the meteorite which wiped out Sodom and Gomorrah. Egyptian armor and carts have been found under the shallow sea. Yes, those old Jews were great Historians.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
And as for theology, without the fall, what need of Jesus and redemption?
I've already extensively refuted your position on your former point. As to the above, who said there wasn't a fall? I certainly didn't. While it's a story told in allegory, the doctrine delivered by it was that, right from the start, man fell from God's grace. You don't have to know how exactly that occurred to accept the lesson that it did.

You haven't refuted a thing. In Christian theology, Redemption is based on the sacrifice of Jesus. If as the story goes, sin had not entered the world through Adam, there was need for Jesus the redeemer or his blood sacrifice;

''....but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. 12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned....'''

''For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many!'' - Romans.
I've already addressed this. You seem incapable of comprehending much of what I have to say. I suggest it's intentional.

Correction: you believe that you have addressed the point, when in fact you haven't.

Simply believing that something is true doesn't make it true.

If Genesis is taken as metaphor, so can the story of Jesus....so what are you left with?

Your rationale fails because you cherry pick, ignoring what is written - that sin entered the world 'through one man' - only to impose your own version, that it was 'man' - plural - that fell from grace. Tell us how that happened.

You could make a living as a dodgy lawyer. wink

Last edited by DBT; 12/04/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" ... I also believe that Jesus and many other's in both the old and new testaments are likely based real persons. But I don't think the book is infallible."

Steve, you are 100% wrong. Just as those here say that every word in the O.T. and N.T. are the truth as inspired by God, here is why that is so.

A few days after Jesus was crucified, most of the Disciples were in an old house in a room, not unlike the room where the Last Supper was held in Jerusalem, bemoaning their future and wondering what they were going to do now that their meal ticket, Jesus, was dead. Suddenly the door opened and God was standing there. The Disciples were astounded and stared at Him. He was wearing a long, resplendent, clean, white, silk robe.

God - "What's up, boys?"

Matthew - "It's the Lord!"

Luke - "Lord, we're trying to figure out what to do now. You know, being out of a job, so to speak."

God steps in, closes the door and takes a seat at the long table.

God - "Well, I've got something for you to do. It's very important."

John - "What it is, Lord?"

God take a heavy leather pouch from the pocket of his silk robe and tosses it on the table. It makes a heavy 'thump." The Disciples stare at it questioningly.

God - "There are a whole bunch of gold shekels in that poke. I want you boys to go down to the market and buy every single blank scroll you can find, all the quills and ink in town, and bring them back here."

John - "What for, Lord?"

God - "Well, I'm going to dictate to you a New Testament and you're going to write down every single word I say, exactly as I say it, and you are going to write it in Greek."

James - "But Lord, we're just poor Jewish fishermen and worker peasants. We don't know how to write Greek, or speak or read it"

God - "Not to worry. When I get through with you, you'll be fluent in Greek writing, reading, and speaking."

Bartholomew - "All right, Lord, if that's what you want. We've always obeyed you."

God - "I know, and that's why you are right for this job. Besides, you'll become famous, too. Okay, now get going. We have a lot of work to do."

The Disciples get up as Matthew pockets the pouch of gold shekels.

Matthew - "Anything else, Lord?"

God - "Yes. On the way back, stop at that good Kosher deli in the square and pick up some lamb sandwiches, bagels, and creamed cheese. This is all going to take awhile. Don't worry about something to drink. I'm going to turn this water here into wine."

Disciples - "Yes sir."

God - "And don't tarry. We're burning daylight."

The Disciples nod, leave, and close the room's door behind them.

And that, boys and girls, is how the New Testament was written.

Just for your information. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's no point in debating someone who consistently (and conveniently) pretends not to understand one's argument. At that point, it's not a debate, but an exercise in talking past one another.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's no point in debating someone who consistently (and conveniently) pretends not to understand one's argument.

Your argument is flawed. It's flawed because you ignore the key points of what is in fact written, that 'sin entered the world because of one man,' only to impose your own interpretation.

You do that because you know that taken literally, the story doesn't make sense, yet you want to salvage whatever appeals to you, so you deem this to be metaphor, and that to be literal. Cherry picking.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
There's no point in debating someone who consistently (and conveniently) pretends not to understand one's argument.

Your argument is flawed. It's flawed because you ignore the key points of what is in fact written, that 'sin entered the world because of one man,' only to impose your own interpretation.

You do that because you know that taken literally, the story doesn't make sense, yet you want to salvage whatever appeals to you, so you deem this to be metaphor, and that to be literal. Cherry picking.
I've already refuted the above sophistry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The whole Genesis story is fiction

Speaking of fiction…..

[Linked Image]

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

I've already refuted the above sophistry.

Only in your imagination. The narrative specifies that sin entered the world through one man, the disobedience of Adam. Deny that all you like, but there it is for all to see and read.

"Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men.....'' Romans 5:1

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Raise your hand if you’ve changed your mind!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49
It's only to be expected that our two atheists wish to tie Christianity to an untenable literal interpretation of Genesis.

Note for you and DBT

Sadly, these verses apply to you two…

2 Corinthians 4:3-4

“ 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”

Seek and you will find……Don’t seek and you will not find. Don’t seek and you will remain in your spiritual blindness.

The irony is that Satan and all his demons fully understand all about Jesus, who is God…but Satan has deceived you so that you cannot see the truth about yourselves, Satan or Jesus.

Sadly those verses don't mean anything.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I think it's safe to say all the extraordinary events are bullshit.

A large chunk of it is demonstrabally factually and historically wrong.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RayF

Speaking of fiction…..

[Linked Image]

Evidence of interspecies evolution? Sure, it's called evolution - google it sometime, you might learn something.

Well?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience
Y’all got sucked past the Ringman radius…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, I'm raising my hand now.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
OK, I'm raising my hand now.

Well, somethings raising. Just might not be your hand.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TF49
It's only to be expected that our two atheists wish to tie Christianity to an untenable literal interpretation of Genesis.

Note for you and DBT

Sadly, these verses apply to you two…

2 Corinthians 4:3-4

“ 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”

Seek and you will find……Don’t seek and you will not find. Don’t seek and you will remain in your spiritual blindness.

The irony is that Satan and all his demons fully understand all about Jesus, who is God…but Satan has deceived you so that you cannot see the truth about yourselves, Satan or Jesus.

Sadly those verses don't mean anything.

Well, they in fact do and unless you see the light, you will one day know the truth. And that my friend will both a sad and tragic day for you.

“Seek God while He May be found.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think it's safe to say all the extraordinary events are bullshit.

A large chunk of it is demonstrabally factually and historically wrong.
Which of the examples I gave are demonstrably factually and historically wrong. Not suspect or unproven but factually proven false and ''bullshit''? There are plenty of examples I could have given that may have a base in actual events but that would take a while.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RayF

Speaking of fiction…..

[Linked Image]

Evidence of interspecies evolution? Sure, it's called evolution - google it sometime, you might learn something.

Interesting way of saying you don’t have any evidence but you choose to believe it on faith. Case and point of how some atheists use science as a religion, gents.

Thank you, Mauserless.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Page 15 of 37 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,306
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.