Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are effing POS.
Maybe a little harsh, but not far from the truth.
Unlike a cheap ass AK or a decent AR, Minis don't have chrome lined barrel, chambers or even gas systems. The gas system is, contrary to popular belief, based on the M1 Carbine, not the M-14. The heavy slide banging against the gas block all but guarantees less than stellar accuracy.
They are always overgassed and beat the [bleep] out of brass, the worst part being the rim lifts.

I think of them as a powerful 10/22 - useful at about the same ranges, but with more power.

Mine is SS, and the barrel hammer-forged, so chrome isn’t missed. A gas port kit from AS is $35, buffers $15. They also have a stronger guide spring for $18; might get one of those, but the buffers work well.

That TFB video shows Lawyer James engaging targets out to IIRC, 400 yards with his, which isn’t modified AFIK. The vintage of the Minis definitely matters, and it’s not just about the barrel weight. They spent a lot of time and effort improving them. I wouldn’t bother with an older one myself as there’s just too much to deal with. I spent $150 on mine, trigger job, buffers, and gas port kit. It’s accurate enough for hunting, and social work, and totally reliable. I took it down for cleaning once, but there wasn’t enough there to bother. I put a drop or so of oil here and there once in awhile, but the manual warns against overdoing it because it holds dirt. I think it would run just fine totally dry.

The OP asked about it as a SHTF piece. I think it’s about perfect, although I’m also thinking my Bear Creek .22 mag fills the bill too, and the ammo is much lighter, so a feller could carry a bunch.

Great report pappy
I would skip the stronger spring. It just bangs the gas block that much harder. If you have slowed up the speed of the op-rod with smaller gas bushings, you don't need the stiffer spring. The next thing I would buy for my Mini is a scout mount rail from Ultimax. Some of the guys who own Mini's on Perfect Union have bought the scout mount rails and put a red dot on them. Save the money on the spring and get the scout mount.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The most loved/hated carbine ever.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
All this talk of the mini 14 is good I suppose, but what about the mini 30, now let’s talk mini’s

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mini 14 discussions are always interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pupjoint
All this talk of the mini 14 is good I suppose, but what about the mini 30, now let’s talk mini’s
MIni 30's. Get a second firing pin with a bit more protrusion, skip the extra power hammer spring and stop wasting your money on Wolf ammo.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Okay, about that SHTF ammo weight, just for grins. Kitchen scale, so ounces and grams.

50 round box Fiocchi .223 1#5.8oz Single round 12grams

50 round box .22 Mag Fiocchi 40gr 9.1oz Single round 4grams

50 round box .22 Mag Hornady 30gr 8.1oz Single round 4grams (obviously the scale ain't all that accurate at that weight)

A single round of CCI Mini Mag weighs 3grams for comparison, again subject to the crappy kitchen scale accuracy.

Previously I weighed a box of 5.7 and IIRC it weighed just over 12oz

My notion of SHTF would be being mobile, maybe limited to what I could carry, and not looking for trouble, but rather avoiding it and trying to make meat along the way. .22 mag is much more effective than .22LR, weighs less than half of what .223 weighs, and the ammunition is much more resistant to weather and handling than LR as well. In addition, we now have some pretty good .22 mag pistols, so one ammo type can work for both. If we eliminate the heavy plastic boxes the rimfire round comes in, 3x the ammo can be carried if .22 mag is chosen over .223 for the same weight penalty.

Just something to mull over. If the doody hits the fan, I’ll stay put if at all possible, being old and creaky, and thus have all kinds of stuff available.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hmm my 882 Marlin ss bolt gun in 22 mag is a good shooter with Hornady 30 gr Vax load at $20 / box. Normal 40 gr fmj or jhp not near as good. 35 to 40 cents a round about the same as 55fmj 223. The mags for the 882 were hard to find and cost 3 to 4 times as much as a 30 rd ar mag. That's infrastructure that doesn't exist for my 22 mag or mini 14's but you can go damn near anywhere and buy ammo , magazines, and all the parts A to Z for an AR. The commonality of AR's availibility is overwhelming compared to anything else with only the common 10/22 comparable. I had 2 different mini's, ar for the win.
Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/06/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, about that SHTF ammo weight, just for grins. Kitchen scale, so ounces and grams.

50 round box Fiocchi .223 1#5.8oz Single round 12grams

50 round box .22 Mag Fiocchi 40gr 9.1oz Single round 4grams

50 round box .22 Mag Hornady 30gr 8.1oz Single round 4grams (obviously the scale ain't all that accurate at that weight)

A single round of CCI Mini Mag weighs 3grams for comparison, again subject to the crappy kitchen scale accuracy.

Previously I weighed a box of 5.7 and IIRC it weighed just over 12oz

My notion of SHTF would be being mobile, maybe limited to what I could carry, and not looking for trouble, but rather avoiding it and trying to make meat along the way. .22 mag is much more effective than .22LR, weighs less than half of what .223 weighs, and the ammunition is much more resistant to weather and handling than LR as well. In addition, we now have some pretty good .22 mag pistols, so one ammo type can work for both. If we eliminate the heavy plastic boxes the rimfire round comes in, 3x the ammo can be carried if .22 mag is chosen over .223 for the same weight penalty.

Just something to mull over. If the doody hits the fan, I’ll stay put if at all possible, being old and creaky, and thus have all kinds of stuff available.

In your doomsday scenario, if you need more gun than a .22 you can always shoot the guy with a bigger gun and take his ammo. That's how you rock after armageddon.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
speaking of firing pins, do the mini's have a reputation for breaking them?? Then ruger will not send you one, and you have to send the gun in to them? I am not speaking from experience on this subject, but what a crucial part to have break when you needed it most.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not that I’m aware of. I’ve dry-fired mine a lot. AS sells them, OEM and “improved”. Haven’t checked Ruger, Brownells, Midway, etc. AS also has complete bolts and some other parts. No idea if fitting is required.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not that I’m aware of. I’ve dry-fired mine a lot. AS sells them, OEM and “improved”. Haven’t checked Ruger, Brownells, Midway, etc. AS also has complete bolts and some other parts. No idea if fitting is required.

I had forgotten that, but AS will help. They’re a good bunch to work with. Sending a “worked over” Ruger back for repair, not a good idea. They’ll do their best to make it “factory” and at your expense. No thanks.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hmm my 882 Marlin ss bolt gun in 22 mag is a good shooter with Hornady 30 gr Vax load at $20 / box. Normal 40 gr fmj or jhp not near as good. 35 to 40 cents a round about the same as 55fmj 223. The mags for the 882 were hard to find and cost 3 to 4 times as much as a 30 rd ar mag. That's infrastructure that doesn't exist for my 22 mag or mini 14's but you can go damn near anywhere and buy ammo , magazines, and all the parts A to Z for an AR. The commonality of AR's availibility is overwhelming compared to anything else with only the common 10/22 comparable. I had 2 different mini's, ar for the win.
Mb

Bob, how long since you bought .223? I haven’t seen any $.40 in a long while. Just checked ammoseek and there’s a lot for $.44-$.45, shipping extra, and cheap crap I wouldn’t expect to get good accuracy from. No sense picking an AR for its accuracy and ending up with it shooting like a Mini because of cheap ammo.😛 I sure wish I could go back and scarf up some of that Fiocchi I used to buy loaded with VMaxes for $20 for 50. Still have some 40gr. The last I bought was just over $30, with free shipping. Pretty good stuff. Costs more now, but still a good deal.

You’re right about AR stuff being all over, and cheap. How long that will last under SHTF is anyone’s guess.

I’m not saying Minis are better than ARs; that’s just silly, but a good one is a good capable rifle, and they have some advantages, flush-fit mags is one, for me anyway. Low to no maintenance is a pretty big one.

Fun stuff, this. Lets hope it stays that way……

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Parts for old ones are either limited availability or unavailable from Ruger according to their website.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are effing POS.
Maybe a little harsh, but not far from the truth.
Unlike a cheap ass AK or a decent AR, Minis don't have chrome lined barrel, chambers or even gas systems. The gas system is, contrary to popular belief, based on the M1 Carbine, not the M-14. The heavy slide banging against the gas block all but guarantees less than stellar accuracy.
They are always overgassed and beat the [bleep] out of brass, the worst part being the rim lifts.

I think of them as a powerful 10/22 - useful at about the same ranges, but with more power.

Mine is SS, and the barrel hammer-forged, so chrome isn’t missed. A gas port kit from AS is $35, buffers $15. They also have a stronger guide spring for $18; might get one of those, but the buffers work well.

That TFB video shows Lawyer James engaging targets out to IIRC, 400 yards with his, which isn’t modified AFIK. The vintage of the Minis definitely matters, and it’s not just about the barrel weight. They spent a lot of time and effort improving them. I wouldn’t bother with an older one myself as there’s just too much to deal with. I spent $150 on mine, trigger job, buffers, and gas port kit. It’s accurate enough for hunting, and social work, and totally reliable. I took it down for cleaning once, but there wasn’t enough there to bother. I put a drop or so of oil here and there once in awhile, but the manual warns against overdoing it because it holds dirt. I think it would run just fine totally dry.

The OP asked about it as a SHTF piece. I think it’s about perfect, although I’m also thinking my Bear Creek .22 mag fills the bill too, and the ammo is much lighter, so a feller could carry a bunch.

Great report pappy
I would skip the stronger spring. It just bangs the gas block that much harder. If you have slowed up the speed of the op-rod with smaller gas bushings, you don't need the stiffer spring. The next thing I would buy for my Mini is a scout mount rail from Ultimax. Some of the guys who own Mini's on Perfect Union have bought the scout mount rails and put a red dot on them. Save the money on the spring and get the scout mount.

kwg

My SS Ranch came with a rail that screws to the receiver flats. I’ve run red dots, prisms, and scopes on that. Might someday replace it with one that clamps to the dovetails. Now it’s wearing a SWFA 1-4.

One other thing I did was to drill out the swivel bases to accept regular QDs. That gas block is harder than woodpecker lips.

M-Lok is a huge plus on ARs. I already have three small ones on my BC upper, a swivel stud, and ones for a Streamlight and tiny CT green laser.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Bought this one from a Texas State Trooper going to Louisiana to work Katrina. I've got $500 in it, plus mags I've bought for it. Shoots minute of bad guy, eats anything I put through it, and goes bang every single time. I've been meaning to send it to AS to have them work their magic on it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Other stuff keeps getting prioritized ahead of it. Great ally gun for family, friend or drop over the fence to a neighbor to help them keep their place safe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Don't mess with it. Those have some serious demand. The front sight in the middle of the barrel stops some of the harmonic vibration and they typically give better accuracy than a standard skinny barrel Mini.

kwg
can get a new AR for 500 bucks...thats enough reason not to buy a mini. Granted if the tool fixes the problem thats all that matters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check out the rail on the AS worked over Mini I posted earlier. Works well.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Bought this one from a Texas State Trooper going to Louisiana to work Katrina. I've got $500 in it, plus mags I've bought for it. Shoots minute of bad guy, eats anything I put through it, and goes bang every single time. I've been meaning to send it to AS to have them work their magic on it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Other stuff keeps getting prioritized ahead of it. Great ally gun for family, friend or drop over the fence to a neighbor to help them keep their place safe.

Don't mess with it. Those have some serious demand. The front sight in the middle of the barrel stops some of the harmonic vibration and they typically give better accuracy than a standard skinny barrel Mini.

kwg
can get a new AR for 500 bucks...thats enough reason not to buy a mini. Granted if the tool fixes the problem thats all that matters.

rost, I've got plenty of ARs. One mini. Don't need a $500 AR.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495

kwg

rost, I've got plenty of ARs. One mini. Don't need a $500 AR.
I have one Mini, the one shown, more AR’s.

DF

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
wonder which would last longer under heavy use of $500 AR or mini??

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
wonder which would last longer under heavy use of $500 AR or mini??
AR.

IMO

DF

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.