Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had a local gunsmith who is now semi-retired color case harden a couple pieces for me. I'm happy with how these came out. The lever is an early type to replace a chrome plated one on a custom engraved 1899. It had little original finish on the exposed part when I got it. The part of the lever normally inside the receiver still had a lot of color on it and I didn't polish any of that, the old finish was left as it was and it came out OK. I won't know if the lever warped any until installation, but I did try the pivot hole and a pin from another gun fits it. I don't know if the colors are close to the originals or not, but it should look a lot better than a chromed one.

I haven't put anything on the lever since I got it, I am thinking about trying to give it a coat of varnish, which I think was how they did the originals, so I don't want oil on it if I do that, but I don't know if varnish formulas available today will look the same.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The hammer is for a friend who has a nice long cartridge action Whitney-Kennedy saddle ring carbine that has the spur broken off. I tried a test fit on my Whitney and I found the hole is undersize, I didn't try this hammer on it before, so I'm not sure if it shrunk or if it started out the size it is. The pin in my gun is just over 1/4" at 0.254" and the hole in the 'new' hammer will just take a 0.250 drill bit. I ordered a 6.5 mm carbide drill bit (0.2559") to open it up a little. I've seen several Whitney's with broken hammer spurs and when a very nice hammer showed up on eBay several years ago it brought over $350 - my friend's losing bid.

Gene
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look nice to me. And not overly done.
Curious what the "before" may have looked like?? And the rest of the custom engraved rifle.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This looks great.

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That lever is for this rifle -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...anyone looking for a chrome lever?

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a pretty gun! And I like the lever, too many gunsmiths now overdo the colors. That will look like it belongs.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that lever will look very nice on that rifle. The chrome lever is too gaudy for my taste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifle.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had good luck using clear lacquer. Spray can works but lacquer thinned with lacquer thinner works better, less thick/noticeable. (PIA doing it that way because it has to be sprayed. Been meaning to try dipping. Tried brushing on clear lacquer once (not on a gun part), what a fiasco.)

Lacquer has always been the preferred protectant, as far as I know. Never heard of anybody using varnish. Some guys just wax CCH'ed stuff - I did that with a CCH'ed Martini action and it has held up nicely (Renaissance Wax).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The case coloring came out well Gene. I think it will compliment your rifle very nicely.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wow!! those are great !! I guess I better be careful with my Whitney,i didn't realize the hammers were that fragile. shocked

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene, how about a closeup of the engraving on the sides of the receiver?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That is probably the best match to the original Savage colors I've seen. Most of them are way over done.

Let us know how well the lever fits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Love the stock work. Excellent project.

LHS

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That looks smart

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've asked several times over the years, with no reply, if it was possible to CCH a part to look used vs the brightly colored "looks like new" finish that you usually see. That lever is the first that is close to what I had in mind. Very nice.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That is excellent! You could cerocoat the lever as another option. Would be very thin.

I've normally used clear lacquer over case coloring, but I've recently seen a couple with cera coat and they looked great.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's a nice one alright. Now it would be nice to know on a print out of instructions just how the gunsmith did that job step by step. When I asked Turbull a question like that ,they just laughed . The way gyes are ruining rifles nowadays that precious information made available would save many from the pscycadelic look.

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I finally got the levers swapped. It went in without any adjustment and closed the action smoothly with just enough tension to keep the lever from dropping. I did spray it with lacquer but I am not happy with the results, I did it three times, completely removing the previous attempts. I finally decided to just get it back together, at least for now. It did not come out very smooth but the light has to be at the right angle to see that so it looks good in the pictures.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I posted pictures of this gun before but here are some better ones of the engraving, it's hard to get the light right - these pictures do not show the color of the blue correctly, they make it look almost like there is no finish.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought I might not be able to get the stock off, I knew there was a repair but they used too much glue and it was stuck to one of the tangs making it almost impossible to get off. I scraped out the excess glue and the stock went back a lot easier than it came off. I had the buttplate off before, it's the original stock but you can see it originally had a shotgun butt, I think some of the grain on the toe must have been painted on to match the original since it looks like it's built up with Acraglas or something. The crescent buttplate has had the toe shortened slightly and curved in a little when compared to another.
[Linked Image]

-continued next post due to limit on the number of photos -

Gene
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
-continued from previous post -

The bolt is an oddity, it's a square back but there isn't a cocking indicator, or one on the rifle. It's also got a rebounding firing pin. I've only had early guns apart and have not seen anything like this on one before. The extended prong on the upper front is a milled feature integral with the bolt body. The condition of the bolt and other internals is amazing, there is almost no wear on anything, the bore is excellent too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ADDED-- the serial number dates the gun to 1908

Last edited by GeneB; 12/08/23.

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Switch to the cocking indicator was at serial number 90.000 in June, 1908. looks as though you have a pre-90,000 receiver and a post-90,000 bolt - except for the flat back. I wonder if they were able to grind the rounded back on a post-90,000 bolt flat to fit, or if yours is a one-off? Looking at a pre-90,000 vs post 90,000 - I bet they just ground the back of it flat.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.