Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
And a remarkably easy load development got me groups like this with 260gr Accubonds:

2755fps ..... pretty good. What is the bbl length?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Great groups, too bad everyone can't expect such groups from their own rifles in today's mass marketed "buyer-beware" world.

I think we can expect it. Or at least we can be about 90% sure. I haven't seen a new rifle that woudln't shoot in some time. There are many more good shooters than lemons out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
And a remarkably easy load development got me groups like this with 260gr Accubonds:

2755fps ..... pretty good. What is the bbl length?

20"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My "Benchrest Buddy" - Al Forsland, tore the rifle apart and spent the better part of a couple of days blueprinting the action, mating the lugs, recrowning the barrel, bedding the action and working on the horrible trigger - and through all this, he ended up giving me back a rifle that now shoots 3/4 inch groups.

If I had to pay him the going rate - for his hours of work on my behalf, the cost of the rifle would have almost doubled. Fortunately for me, our friendship enabled me to save a considerable amount of money.

But, even as he handed me the rifle back he said "It's still a horrible fouler due to that internal barrel swell an inch or so in front of the chamber and because of the general roughness of the bore." The internal swell is so great that when pushing a bore brush or swab though it - the rod will jump (with no resistance) past the swell until the bore narrows down again.

He said, if it were him - he send it away and get a "real barrel" from a custom quality barrel maker put on it. "Then you'd have a rifle!" he said.

So far, I haven't done that, I love so much about the rifle now - that I put up with its faults - and just clean it thoroughly every 5 to 10 rounds or so.

But, someday, it will get a REAL barrel.
Well, it MUST be true. I mean, you posted it on the internet.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, in spite of the written word here & elsewhere, I think most factory rifles, including Remingtons, need a bit of work to shoot consistently
under 1"-1 1/2". Some never will.........many factory barrels have been straightened and whenever that occurs, ultra-fine accuracy from a gun with such a barrel is just happenstance and your good luck if you get such a rifle.

A little action bedding work, straighten the barrel channel side contact, fix the barrel bedding point, float the barrel or whatever else floats your boat is almost always in order & bebeficial.

I also don't think that the vast majority of everyday "shooters" could should an inch consistently regardless of the capabilities of the gun.

MM

I've bought about 20 used Remingtons and 7-8 new ones in the last 2-3 years and haven't had a one of them (except two Titaniums mentioned below) that wouldn't shoot under an inch with my handloads.

I don't know what kind of rifles you're using but maybe you should change or try something else different.

I've stayed away from the thin barreled rifles lately except for two Titaniums in 308 and neither of them would hold under 3"-4" and I sold them both with warnings to the buyers that I'd had serious accuracy trouble with them. Neither buyer got them to shoot either and both sold them.

One of the Remington reps at the last Shot Show told me they'd discontinued the Titanium "non-magnums" due to accuracy complaints.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
IC B2

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where I'm from, a gentleman doesn't suggest another man is lying without some evidence to back him up.

But, as we know, not everyone is a gentleman.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BC,

I wasn't suggesting you were lying. I was offering helpful (I hope)advice.

If I wanted to say you were lying I would just come right out and say it... grin

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where I'm from, a gentleman doesn't suggest another man is lying without some evidence to back him up.

But, as we know, not everyone is a gentleman.
Where's YOUR evidence, sport? All I see is a rather difficult to verify yarn, yet you expect everyone to take it at face value because YOU POSTED IT ON THE INTERNET.

In your parlance, not everyone tells the truth.

I find your motivations for posting this little tale of woe to be rather dubious. Seems a little odd that Ruger lists Canadian repair facilities, but you can't be helped. Or at least you claimed no one will help you.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-InternationalCustomers.jsp?Country=Canada

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've only owned three Ruger centerfire rifles. The first was a 70s vintage Mini-14. Heard a lot about how inaccurate they were. After sighting, it was plenty accurate enough to keep a 2 pound coffee can rolling at 200 yards. Then, I bought a Ruger 77 in .30-06 despite their reputation for accuracy problems. I never reloaded for it and every box of factory ammo I shot out of it would produce 3 shot 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups from the roof of my car in the quarry (didn't have a range back then.) Then, I became enamored with the Ruger #1 in .30-06 even though rumors were that it needed a lot of tweeking to make it shoot good. Imagine my surprise when it shot inch and a half groups all day long...or until my ammo ran out. I then had that rifle converted to .45-70 with an octagon barrel and low and behold, it shot really well too.

I don't have any of those rifles anymore. But, I didn't get rid of them because they wouldn't shoot. I have rifles that will shoot sub-moa and some that won't.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My rifle was a Remington - or can't you read?

And the gunsmith and rifle dealer - Del Selin's Guns, of Vernon B.C. can verify everything I've said. Phone him up.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

IC B3

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
LDHunter - I was referring to Bricktop.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, why is it REMINGTON's Canuck repair facilities can't assist you? The dealer you're referencing is a REMINGTON repair facility.

http://www.remington.com/support/repair_services/canadian_RARC.asp

And the gunsmith and rifle dealer - Del Selin's Guns, of Vernon B.C. can verify everything I've said. Phone him up.
Oh, well it MUST be true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LDHunter
Actually, in spite of the written word here & elsewhere, I think most factory rifles, including Remingtons, need a bit of work to shoot consistently
under 1"-1 1/2". Some never will.........many factory barrels have been straightened and whenever that occurs, ultra-fine accuracy from a gun with such a barrel is just happenstance and your good luck if you get such a rifle.

A little action bedding work, straighten the barrel channel side contact, fix the barrel bedding point, float the barrel or whatever else floats your boat is almost always in order & bebeficial.

I also don't think that the vast majority of everyday "shooters" could should an inch consistently regardless of the capabilities of the gun.

MM

I've bought about 20 used Remingtons and 7-8 new ones in the last 2-3 years and haven't had a one of them (except two Titaniums mentioned below) that wouldn't shoot under an inch with my handloads.

I don't know what kind of rifles you're using but maybe you should change or try something else different.

I've stayed away from the thin barreled rifles lately except for two Titaniums in 308 and neither of them would hold under 3"-4" and I sold them both with warnings to the buyers that I'd had serious accuracy trouble with them. Neither buyer got them to shoot either and both sold them.

One of the Remington reps at the last Shot Show told me they'd discontinued the Titanium "non-magnums" due to accuracy complaints.

$bob$

With the exception of Sako's & an older Rem. KS, not a single factory specimen from Win., Rem or Ruger I've bought in the last 6-7 years, has been free of all of the afflictions I mentioned.......especially prevalent is the tendency for the barrel to be touching one side or another of the barrel channel which I don't like.

Just picked up an new "old" model Rem Ti in 7-08 and when tightened down in the stock, the only part of the receiver forward of the mag cutoff that contacts the stock, is just in front of the mag well cutout and that is only point contact.

When I talked to Rem about it, they weren't even concerned and told me if I glass bedded the rifle, it would void the warranty on the stock......laughin'. Just a bit of barrel pressure !!! Essentially only being supported at the tang and barrel bedding point.

And this was the 2nd Ti I got; 1st one I received from the distributer, had a mismatched serial number on the bolt / receiver........with factory tape still on the box.

Guess you've just been extremely lucky with the guns you've gotten vs me, and/or an extremely good shooter or maybe your handloads are more magical than mine, but I doubt it.

However, I do have to say that most of the guns, once, tweaked to whatever degree, usually come around; once in a while though they do not.

As to shooting light rifles well, it takes a little bench technique as well as a capable gun. Although if one is fitted as the one I just got, and not corrected, I can see where you'd draw your conclusion.

But I'm glad you've been so successful with outa the box factory rifles.......

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image] ............. [Linked Image]

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bricktop,

I consider Del a friend. He IS the designated Remington repair center around here. He is a dealer as well.

The problems are two-fold. One (as has been stated by MANY on this post) is that Remington doesn't regard 2 1/2 groups as being "faulty".

Are the others that have told about that response from Remington lying? Can you tell me at what point Remington IS willing to act? Perhaps they will act on 3, 4, 5, or is it 6 inch groups? Is that Remington what will "guarantee" - without an actual written guarantee?

The problem with my Ti was this. Nothing, but nothing - could be done to "REPAIR" this gun - short of giving it a new barrel - one without an internal swell in it.

If one is lucky, and an AMERICAN, and living in the U.S.A. - a few people who have bought Remington's in the U.S.A. have actually had Remington install a new barrel on a defective rifle.

BUT (and it's a big but - for Canadians) Remington WILL NOT take a gun back across the border - once it has been sent into Canada. They used to (the Al Forsland I mentioned) once had Remington re-barrel a defective one he bought - he was lucky enough to have met the guy who was running their custom shop - and he got the red-carpet treatment - once upon a time. But (perhaps since 9/11) that has all changed. Canadian guns don't go back to the USA.

And since there is not a Remington dealer in Canada who can FIX a defective barrel - we get what we get - and we are stuck with it. The only way Remington will allow a new barrel to be put on one of their guns - is if THEY do it. And they don't take guns BACK - from CANADA.

If it was something Del could have fixed he would have. He'd like to keep my business and I've bought enough guns from the man. I don't fault him for anything on this matter - he spent a lot of time on the phone, on my behalf, talking to Remington.

I have no reason to lie about this. Are the others who stated that Remington had accuracy problems with many of the Ti's lying too? Is there a reason they were discontinued - as they were built before?

I still have the rifle and would be glad to show it to you, or anyone else. Right now, in spite of it's fouling problem, it's one of my favorites. I love the way it handles, and I love it's lack of weight.

I only wish I had recieved better treatment from Remington.

As I said before - why deal with companies like that? When you can buy relatively inexpensive Weatherbys, Tikkas and Sakos - which GUARANTEE the accuracy of what they produce?

Even for Canadians.

If you can find a way for me to send my rifle back to Remington for a repair - please tell me who to call - and I'll announce to the world (or at least everyone on this forum) that I was wrong - and you were right.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

I consider Del a friend. He IS the designated Remington repair center around here. He is a dealer as well.

The problems are two-fold. One (as has been stated by MANY on this post) is that Remington doesn't regard 2 1/2 groups as being "faulty".

Are the others that have told about that response from Remington lying? Can you tell me at what point Remington IS willing to act? Perhaps they will act on 3, 4, 5, or is it 6 inch groups? Is that Remington what will "guarantee" - without an actual written guarantee?

The problem with my Ti was this. Nothing, but nothing - could be done to "REPAIR" this gun - short of giving it a new barrel - one without an internal swell in it.

If one is lucky, and an AMERICAN, and living in the U.S.A. - a few people who have bought Remington's in the U.S.A. have actually had Remington install a new barrel on a defective rifle.

BUT (and it's a big but - for Canadians) Remington WILL NOT take a gun back across the border - once it has been sent into Canada. They used to (the Al Forsland I mentioned) once had Remington re-barrel a defective one he bought - he was lucky enough to have met the guy who was running their custom shop - and he got the red-carpet treatment - once upon a time. But (perhaps since 9/11) that has all changed. Canadian guns don't go back to the USA.

And since there is not a Remington dealer in Canada who can FIX a defective barrel - we get what we get - and we are stuck with it. The only way Remington will allow a new barrel to be put on one of their guns - is if THEY do it. And they don't take guns BACK - from CANADA.

If it was something Del could have fixed he would have. He'd like to keep my business and I've bought enough guns from the man. I don't fault him for anything on this matter - he spent a lot of time on the phone, on my behalf, talking to Remington.

I have no reason to lie about this. Are the others who stated that Remington had accuracy problems with many of the Ti's lying too? Is there a reason they were discontinued - as they were built before?

I still have the rifle and would be glad to show it to you, or anyone else. Right now, in spite of it's fouling problem, it's one of my favorites. I love the way it handles, and I love it's lack of weight.

I only wish I had recieved better treatment from Remington.

As I said before - why deal with companies like that? When you can buy relatively inexpensive Weatherbys, Tikkas and Sakos - which GUARANTEE the accuracy of what they produce?

Even for Canadians.

If you can find a way for me to send my rifle back to Remington for a repair - please tell me who to call - and I'll announce to the world (or at least everyone on this forum) that I was wrong - and you were right.
Oh, I believe everything you have to tell. It's on the internet isn't it? Therefore it's got to be true. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Okay, why is it REMINGTON's Canuck repair facilities can't assist you? The dealer you're referencing is a REMINGTON repair facility.

It's different up here with Remington, if they sell you something that is clearly defective they will replace it, up here they may try and repair it, but they refuse to take anything back no matter how bad it is. Remington has effectively NO CUSTOMER SERVICE in Canada. Other firearm mfg's from the US are not like this. I've had friends send damaged firearm peices to Savage and they were replaced, same with the Sako/Tikka distributor for Canada.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I believe everything you have to tell. It's on the internet isn't it? Therefore it's got to be true. whistle

Give it up. Your village is missing you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by martinbns

It's different up here with Remington, if they sell you something that is clearly defective they will replace it, up here they may try and repair it, but they refuse to take anything back no matter how bad it is. Remington has effectively NO CUSTOMER SERVICE in Canada. Other firearm mfg's from the US are not like this. I've had friends send damaged firearm peices to Savage and they were replaced, same with the Sako/Tikka distributor for Canada.
I've already stated I believe his story. Just like I believe everything else on the internet.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.