Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Shrike4 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Many nice innovations have been made to rifle scopes.
Quality glass, easy to use turrets, long range scopes with lots of tracking adjustments, reticles galore for different uses, etc.
Most of us deer hunters I bet are 50-300 yard max shooters. In Northern Alberta, when it is -10 or colder with a wind blowing, 300 yards over the hood of a truck or using a rock for support, sitting or laying in the snow, is one hell of a long field shot.
Guys like us need a scope build like a tank, rifles falling over, bumps getting in and out of trucks, rifles being knocked around when a truck hits a rough spot etc.
We do not need long range adjustments, side focus, complicated reticle etc. The 1 inch tube works for us, a steel one for strength or thick aluminum. We want decent glass, for 300 yards we don’t need special HD. A magnification range of 2x7 or 3x9 was always more than enough. We would also need a strong reliable adjustment system that does not get out of whack after a few bumps.
One that reliably holds its zero and if I click 4 up during sighting in, it will go up 4 units. We want low capped vertical and horizontal adjustments.
Besides all this a reasonable price like $500-700
I can not afford Nightforce prices.
What is this long range obsession? From attending many shooting ranges in Alberta, most deer hunters have trouble consistently hitting a 6 inch target at 300 yards. Buying bigger and more expensive scopes on your economy deer rifles does not bring in more deer meat imho. Am I wrong here? Too much old school? Please correct me if wrong.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People like to shoot outside of deer season too. Those that do - spend more money than those that don't. Manufacturers tend to cater to those that spend money.

Sitting around hitting paper plates at "deer hunting ranges" isn't all that fun past the first couple of shots. Go long, make it interesting. Shoot a hell of a lot more than the average guy on his 10th year with the same box of shells he bought at the gas station.

What you're asking for - can it exist? You want 1in tube but big scope reliability. You gain reliability through beef. As Boris the Blade said "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable". Until the long range gang demanded it - you likely aren't getting that adjustment reliability either and not in a 1in scope. They're paying for the R&D that will eventually make it to the meat hunter only crowd. Maybe.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d look at a used NF SHV 3-10 or a new/used Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. Pretty solid in $500-$750 range.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Long range shooting is fun and practicing at longer ranges makes a 2-300 yard shot on game that much easier. With that being said, sounds like you’re describing the Trijicon Accupoint.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Agree with the posters above.

Another option that falls within this set of criteria would be the Tract Toric.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shrike4: I agree with you 100% on the actual need in optics. The posters who claim to be killing deer at those outlandish distances represent a tiny, tiny percent of deer hunters. They don't believe the old school optics can get it done. I seriously doubt you need to spend even $500. to get what you need. Often times old school, although not necessarily pretty, can be better than, or as good as the newest, greatest. Case in point is the old Weaver mounts: ugly but super tough and reliable even on heavy caliber rifles. My suggestion is that you're asking the wrong crowd: go to someone with tons of real world experience. One guy I'm thinking of is Phil Shoemaker, the Alaskan brown bear guide. Almost 40 years of seeing what works and doesn't in harsh conditions in optics. He posts on Accurate Reloading a lot (goes by 458win) and sometimes on campfire. I still use an 80s vintage Leupold 2-7x that continues to get it done: did a month ago again on whitetail. I can hear the laughter now on this old scope, but it continues to do the job on another old-school rifle: a .270 win. no less. Good luck.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Tract and Meopta both make a 2-10x power. That’s the best you’re gonna do buying brand new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your description is that of the SWFA 3X9 Mill Quad.
Super easy to use and the reticle is uncluttered and yet very useful...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
People like to shoot outside of deer season too. Those that do - spend more money than those that don't. Manufacturers tend to cater to those that spend money.

Sitting around hitting paper plates at "deer hunting ranges" isn't all that fun past the first couple of shots. Go long, make it interesting. Shoot a hell of a lot more than the average guy on his 10th year with the same box of shells he bought at the gas station.

What you're asking for - can it exist? You want 1in tube but big scope reliability. You gain reliability through beef. As Boris the Blade said "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable". Until the long range gang demanded it - you likely aren't getting that adjustment reliability either and not in a 1in scope. They're paying for the R&D that will eventually make it to the meat hunter only crowd. Maybe.

I hope the OP will forgive me as I'm not contributing to the subject of his post. Gotta congratulate Teal on quoting a memorable character in a most enjoyable movie, Borris the Blade! If we could just find a scope as tough as that guy.....

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Until I saw your requirement for accurate adjustments, a several decades old Leupold vari-X-III (or II) would have been my recommendation. Can’t say that about the new Leupolds…. It’s too early to judge long term reliability, but my last 3 scope purchases have been Tract Torics (I do prefer the 3x15 flavor). They have been great so far, and can be had on sale in the $600-700 range.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What do I know about diamonds?

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd think a SWFA 6x42 SS would be ideal.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boris the Bullet Dodger would approve.

"Heavy is good. Heavy is ... reliability."

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The SWFA 6X42 SS fits most of that criteria save for low capped adjustments and 1" tube, as they have been absolutely bombproof for me but the glass isn't up to par.
Twice now I could clearly see critters in my 15x56 Meoptas within 50 yards at last light, but I absolutely could NOT see them through my 6X42 SS....frustrating is an adequate adjective.
Maybe the HD versions are better? I don't think they make a 6X HD though. Only the 10X and variables, and those are pushing up against the OP's price ceiling..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Your description is that of the SWFA 3X9 Mill Quad.
Super easy to use and the reticle is uncluttered and yet very useful...
Another great option, if you can find one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would go with the older Leupold Vari X III 4.5 x 14 X 50. Built like a tank and rock solid. It is what the Leupold name was made on. They can be had for about $450.00 and you are set. Or you can spend a little more and find a Leupold LPS 3.5 X 14 X 50 with great glass and built like a tank. They can be bought for about $550.00 or so. The LPS scopes were built when Leupold was trying to take over the European market. They put the best of everything in them. The glass was made by Leica and diamond coated. Good luck with your quest.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd think a SWFA 6x42 SS would be ideal.
That, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

“Protection? Protection from who? Zee Germans?”

Fantastic movie.

Fear the crabcat.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

“Protection? Protection from who? Zee Germans?”

Fantastic movie.

Great movie. Tony had all the best lines. “Why do they call him the bullet dodger? Because he dodges bullets Avi.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I would go with the older Leupold Vari X III 4.5 x 14 X 50. Built like a tank and rock solid. It is what the Leupold name was made on. They can be had for about $450.00 and you are set. Or you can spend a little more and find a Leupold LPS 3.5 X 14 X 50 with great glass and built like a tank. They can be bought for about $550.00 or so. The LPS scopes were built when Leupold was trying to take over the European market. They put the best of everything in them. The glass was made by Leica and diamond coated. Good luck with your quest.
ShamWow +P+

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.