Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Midway literally has a page for just factory second bullets in their reloading components. They have for as long as I’ve been buying from their website which is going on towards two decades. As does PV, Midsouth, Natchez etc.
Nosler sells all their seconds and overruns through SPS.

Maybe when you contact Sierra for some more info you should tell them that Larry Potterfield is sending people in to buy massive quantities of seconds on the down low and reselling them for a profit. You might have to be the key witness in the trial when they file suit against Midway.

Nosler puts a decent bunch of 2nds out to Midway these days.

Semper Fi
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Midway literally has a page for just factory second bullets in their reloading components. They have for as long as I’ve been buying from their website which is going on towards two decades. As does PV, Midsouth, Natchez etc.

Maybe when you contact Sierra for some more info you should tell them that Larry Potterfield is sending people in to buy massive quantities of seconds on the down low and reselling them for a profit. You might have to be the key witness in the trial when they file suit against Midway.

Surely not. Midway rarely ever sells seconds. Read it right here. 😉

Last edited by TheKid; 12/12/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
BGK on one box and TGK on another. Ok so his main thing he wants to know is the bullet bonded, any source I read says no, and the American Rifleman tested them and had core jacket separations.

this is what midway describes on thier website
special lead alloy surrounded by a tough copper jacket

Why hide it's bonded and a shot show is where they announce it ? Surprise ! It's bonded ! LOL Would the AR lie and say they aren't bonded or any other article on the web about them. Watch the video and they don't mention a bonded core/jacket. The video on midway usa is by Sierra shooting and testing the Tipped GK. The jacket seems to be the bullets lack of separation and integrity. What's the special lead alloy?? Will the shot show reveal that ? No.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020546838

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

We're talking about Sierra, right ? LOL And this thread is about the mystery bullet, right ?

Last edited by anothergun; 12/12/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They look like they have a secant ogive.

Maybe interbonds?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interbonds don't have a green tip, they're red.

since you're here Fotis, and was gonna reach out to you...... when Nosler came out with the Accubond, did they wait for a shot show to release the bullet to the public?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I know.. Midway probably doesn't have enough sway to get that deal going grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by anothergun

since you're here Fotis, and was gonna reach out to you...... when Nosler came out with the Accubond, did they wait for a shot show to release the bullet to the public?

Probably never put another colored tip on a bullet for ammo companies wink

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have some hornady Interlocks that I bought from midway as seconds, they have a green tip. They are the same as first run Hornady Interlocks bought from Midsouth that have a red tip. So, using common sense, Hornady uses different colors when they produce bullets for different companies.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by stratton
I have some hornady Interlocks that I bought from midway as seconds, they have a green tip. They are the same as first run Hornady Interlocks bought from Midsouth that have a red tip. So, using common sense, Hornady uses different colors when they produce bullets for different companies.

Right 🤨 come to think about it l bought some Weatherby ammo and it said it was loaded with Hornday bullets but they didn’t look like thier bullets. I pulled one and it didn’t have the secant ogive. But other ammo companies load Nosler and you can see it definitely is thier bullets

Last edited by anothergun; 12/12/23.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Fotis
They look like they have a secant ogive.

Maybe interbonds?

I'd be happy enough with that, but they do have a green tip and the 6765 SKU seems to match the Sierra SKU pattern, and PV sells many other barely concealed Sierra blems, including the TGKs I bought a year ago. I thought it was interesting enough to bring up, the list of folks who make a green tip bonded, boat tail 165gr .30 cal bullet... Yet.... Is pretty damned short. I'm used to buying all kinds of Nosler blems from SPS, this certainly isn't a Nosler creation in my opinion.

Edit: to your point, I looked back and I have bought Hornady blems from PV as well, 6mm 80gr CX bullets. The green tip is off, but could conceivably be an OEM bullet for an ammo manufacturer.

I did crush the bullet a few different ways in my vise and it's damned sure bonded by someone. Clear as day that the lead in contact with the copper jacket is sticking while the main body of the lead core bulges out when crushed.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/12/23.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I went to the link in your first post with high hopes. Wish they weren’t sold out. Should be an outstanding hunting bullet.

I did the same!

Sorry for the tease, they were in stock when I posted the link, but they must not have had very many blems to get rid of

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I went to the link in your first post with high hopes. Wish they weren’t sold out. Should be an outstanding hunting bullet.

I did the same!

Sorry for the tease, they were in stock when I posted the link, but they must not have had very many blems to get rid of

I like their TGKs. Bonding them may make them a bit better. Something around 200 grains, bonded would make a wicked 300 magnum bullet.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Tip color does not means anything substantial these days. Seen black and red accubonds, grey interbonds etc.

Last edited by Fotis; 12/13/23.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I do not remember 100%. I can ask.

I can tell you I had the first 6mm accubond kill ever. 6mm-284 90 gr Accubond on pronghorn well before they were released..

Last edited by Fotis; 12/13/23.

μολὼν λαβέ

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Did the public know before you got them ?
BTW how many wildcats you own ?

Last edited by anothergun; 12/13/23.
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have some of the Powder Valley mystery 165's. They sure shoot like Sierra's. Not picky at all.

L
L
I started an account here to say I came to the same conclusion as the original post, independently. Came searching the web for answers and here I am.

The profile is almost identical to a TGK/Gamechanger. They are clearly bonded as it said in the Powder Valley description and on the label. I destructively tested a few to come to that conclusion.

They aren't anything close to a 165 Scirocco. They came up for sale with another huge lot of what were clearly Sierra factory seconds. Did a ton of digging to see if there was a factory load from any of the big names that used a bullet like this. Nope.

The SKU is the ringer for me now...

These are an unreleased bullet from Sierra. Either they were playing with the idea and decided not to pursue it, they were some OEM contract that fell through, or it'll be announced at SHOT. I'm betting on the latter.

Edit to add - Also don't think they're an Interbond. The base is wrong and the ogive doesn't look right for Hornady.

Last edited by lokifox; 12/14/23.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lokifox
I started an account here to say I came to the same conclusion as the original post, independently. Came searching the web for answers and here I am.

The profile is almost identical to a TGK/Gamechanger. They are clearly bonded as it said in the Powder Valley description and on the label. I destructively tested a few to come to that conclusion.

They aren't anything close to a 165 Scirocco. They came up for sale with another huge lot of what were clearly Sierra factory seconds. Did a ton of digging to see if there was a factory load from any of the big names that used a bullet like this. Nope.

The SKU is the ringer for me now...

These are an unreleased bullet from Sierra. Either they were playing with the idea and decided not to pursue it, they were some OEM contract that fell through, or it'll be announced at SHOT. I'm betting on the latter.

Edit to add - Also don't think they're an Interbond. The base is wrong and the ogive doesn't look right for Hornady.

Nice, good to see that other folks who picked up some of these are thinking along the same lines. Hopefully these bullets are some first runs of a soon to be released Sierra bullet, and not a cancelled project. Sierras have always been very easy to get to shoot, but I do like bonded bullets on game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.