Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I'll take up bocce before I'll use another Hornady product.

Due performance or philosophical differences with management?

Both.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
Wish they would make a 175 Accubond, that would be even more better..... wink

I'd buy a large quantity of them.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have a dog in the fight as I've only used regular Hdy Interlocks. However, given the Lapua Scenar's reputation as a game bullet, why not run a 7mm 180?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Teeder
There used to be someone on here, maybe BobinNH, that used to say, I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.

Maybe a bit of wisdom there.

Bob Hagel I bet.

Could be.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There used to be someone on here, maybe BobinNH, that used to say, I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.

Maybe a bit of wisdom there.

Bob Hagel I bet.

Could be.

He was an outspoken fan of NP's, and the 175 .284 especially. 7mm Marshburn, IIRC.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Regardless of who said that I’ll definitely agree with it. With so many folks enamored with ultra long range shooting and the use of soft, target type bullets there’s gonna be shots on game that do not give the desired results. Since I’m not interested in shooting much over 400yds I can happily use bullets like Noslers, Barnes and other similarly well constructed bullets that will produce the kind of results I want on game like elk.

Last edited by John55; 12/16/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John55
Regardless of who said that I’ll definitely agree with it. With so many folks enamored with ultra long range shooting and the use of soft, target type bullets there’s gonna be shots on game that do not give the desired results. Since I’m not interested in shooting much over 400yds I can happily use bullets like Noslers, Barnes and other similarly well constructed bullets that will produce the kind of results I want on game like elk.
Well said John.
So many get taken in by people like Dip Stick and the flat brim dude/bro crowd and think they are long range hunters and need the highest BC bullets.
As I pointed out earlier a 175 NP will get you to 750 yds and a 160 AB will get you to 850 yds. both bullets proven to have reliable results on big critters.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't have a dog in the fight as I've only used regular Hdy Interlocks. However, given the Lapua Scenar's reputation as a game bullet, why not run a 7mm 180?

I have a bunch of them. Dober ran them and had good results in the Mashburn and they shoot like crazy.. I wouldn't be scared myself.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a bunch of them. Dober ran them and had good results in the Mashburn and they shoot like crazy.. I wouldn't be scared myself.
I am curious about the Scenar. What makes them different than any other jacketed target bullet? I know the 308 , 155 has a huge hollow cavity in the nose... but what holds them together on impact?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by John55

Pretty much where I'm at

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by CRS
I must be the only guy on the planet that shoots elk at distances that don't require dialing. Not that I'm against longer ranges, I just seem to set myself in situations where having my scope set at a 200 yard zero has worked. In fact I've yet to shoot an elk past 225-30 long steps (can't remember exactly, just remember it was over 250 steps....).

Really like this statement. Farthest elk I have ever shot was 275 yards.

This year was 170 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

155gr LRX out of a 270 WCF 1:8 twist.
That must make me a Fudd, since I don't actively go out hunting to see how far I can kill an animal. But my freezer is happy.

There's not a darn thing wrong with private, low land ranch hunts. I would, and have done them before, though not for elk. I am actually a touch enviouslaugh. I don't however think your message is a fair point to make concerning how the vast majority of North American elk hunters do their thing. If you're willing to pass on 300+ yard shots on heavily pressured public land elk due to your own ethics, then good on ya. I am not in a general sense, and won't apologize for it.

I should mention though that all but 2-3 of my elk have been sub 300 yards, but I sure was glad I had the ability to stretch it out further those few times.

Lots of people shouldn't be shooting at elk at 100 yards let alone 300+ due to their (lack of) shooting ability, but that is a completely different discussion.

That was this year's meat hunt, majority of my elk have come off of public land in SD, WY, and CO. Have had tag soup from ID and MT.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Didn't the same rifle have problems with Hornadys?

Correct. 147 ELD-Ms, to be exact. 2 different lots were blowing up at the bbl at ~2850 FPS with an 8 twist.
You're the one that initially made the observation that the rifle could have been the root cause.

The rifle does just fine with 140 AMAX and 135 Berger Classics though. No issues whatsoever on elk, caribou, grizzly and a bunch of other critters.

Some day I would like to see the inside of that rifle's barrel.

Many posters here are not exactly reliable when discussing real bullet performance but you have a pretty good track record over more than a few years.

It's possible the Target Bergers with the thicker jacket might be a better fit for your rifle if you are wanting to experiment with VLDs a bit more.

Always good to see your opinion, Ted.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I agree but that does not explain the fist size entrance hole

my best guess is that you hit something enroute you couldn't see. Odds would be really low to splash a very long 175 at 2600fps.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS
I must be the only guy on the planet that shoots elk at distances that don't require dialing. Not that I'm against longer ranges, I just seem to set myself in situations where having my scope set at a 200 yard zero has worked. In fact I've yet to shoot an elk past 225-30 long steps (can't remember exactly, just remember it was over 250 steps....).

Really like this statement. Farthest elk I have ever shot was 275 yards.

This year was 170 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

155gr LRX out of a 270 WCF 1:8 twist.
That must make me a Fudd, since I don't actively go out hunting to see how far I can kill an animal. But my freezer is happy.

There's not a darn thing wrong with private, low land ranch hunts. I would, and have done them before, though not for elk. I am actually a touch enviouslaugh. I don't however think your message is a fair point to make concerning how the vast majority of North American elk hunters do their thing. If you're willing to pass on 300+ yard shots on heavily pressured public land elk due to your own ethics, then good on ya. I am not in a general sense, and won't apologize for it.

I should mention though that all but 2-3 of my elk have been sub 300 yards, but I sure was glad I had the ability to stretch it out further those few times.

Lots of people shouldn't be shooting at elk at 100 yards let alone 300+ due to their (lack of) shooting ability, but that is a completely different discussion.

That was this year's meat hunt, majority of my elk have come off of public land in SD, WY, and CO. Have had tag soup from ID and MT.

Gotcha.👍

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn't the same rifle have problems with Hornadys?

Correct. 147 ELD-Ms, to be exact. 2 different lots were blowing up at the bbl at ~2850 FPS with an 8 twist.
You're the one that initially made the observation that the rifle could have been the root cause.

The rifle does just fine with 140 AMAX and 135 Berger Classics though. No issues whatsoever on elk, caribou, grizzly and a bunch of other critters.

Many posters here are not exactly reliable when discussing real bullet performance but you have a pretty good track record over more than a few years.

It's possible the Target Bergers with the thicker jacket might be a better fit for your rifle if you are wanting to experiment with VLDs a bit more.

Target Bergers may very well be my answer….problem is I am way more of a hunter than a shooter and just don’t put enough rounds down range to get a good feel for it all. I am pretty happy with the 135 grain classics, but have 400 139 grain Scenars sitting around for when I run out of the 135s.

Whacked a mountain griz at 200 yards and a bull caribou at about the same this year with the 135s, both going clean through and working just as advertised.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calvin

my best guess is that you hit something enroute you couldn't see. Odds would be really low to splash a very long 175 at 2600fps.

I can assure you the splash I had didn’t impact anything. It was on a doe in a wide open alfalfa field. Alfalfa was ankle high. She was maybe 100 yards at most. She ran about 125 yards to the wood line and stopped to look back before going in. I shot her again. When I gutted her there was only one hole through the rib cage going in and one hole going out. Golf ball size exit. Oddly enough, the first bullet was a disaster and the second worked perfectly as advertised.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Target Bergers may very well be my answer….problem is I am way more of a hunter than a shooter and just don’t put enough rounds down range to get a good feel for it all. I am pretty happy with the 135 grain classics, but have 400 139 grain Scenars sitting around for when I run out of the 135s.

Whacked a mountain griz at 200 yards and a bull caribou at about the same this year with the 135s, both going clean through and working just as advertised.

It's boring when guys take YES for the answer.

That little bit of loss in BC is going to cost you at 1 mile. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That little bit of loss in BC is going to cost you at 1 mile. laugh

Don't let Big Schtick know you are not using the using the highest BC projectile available. It will throw him into one of his blathering posts, maybe give him a coronary. wink

Last edited by CRS; 12/17/23.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Calvin

I can assure you the splash I had didn’t impact anything. It was on a doe in a wide open alfalfa field. Alfalfa was ankle high. She was maybe 100 yards at most. She ran about 125 yards to the wood line and stopped to look back before going in. I shot her again. When I gutted her there was only one hole through the rib cage going in and one hole going out. Golf ball size exit. Oddly enough, the first bullet was a disaster and the second worked perfectly as advertised.

Although hitting a branch etc. would be a plausible explanation, I had a solid rest on sticks and the cow was in an open meadow with grass / weeds no higher than my shin, if that. My spotter confirmed before and after the shot (multiple times) that it was perfectly clear.

There was a second hole near the big entrance hole too, but I am assuming that was a tear from her effort to escape and jumping her from her bed 2x. It was about 2 inches long abd 3/4 Inch wide.

The entrance looked like it should have been an exit. I am thankful that she left an easy to follow blood trail, but she just didn't bleed out enough to find her dead. She dropped lots of thick clots too.

I will never hunt big game with those bullets again. What really annoys me is that shot at the cow was the very first time I shot at game with my newly put together 7 PRC and the factory 175 ELD X. I just did not have time to handload before the hunt.

And my son, using my 50 year old 700 '06 cleanly took a cow at 350 yards with a 168 TTSX handload. Same gun and bullet I killed a 339" bull last year.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar

I am curious about the Scenar. What makes them different than any other jacketed target bullet? I know the 308 , 155 has a huge hollow cavity in the nose... but what holds them together on impact?

I'm pretty sure it's magic grin

But they do seem to work really well...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.