Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Very Nice!

Better put it to lots of use. That is what would make me happy if I gave someone something like that. Years ago, I gave my dad a set of Swarovski binoculars for father day because I knew he would never buy a set for himself, and he was an avid outdoorsman. To his credit, those binos have a lot of edge wear on the body from being worn for many hours. Exactly as intended.

So go out and use your gift and enjoy it. They don't have to be full throttle loads. You can build some squirrel loads for it, but just go shoot it and enjoy.

Unsolicited opinion but I'd share the same sentiment as Mackay.

If I bought my dad a similar gift only to find it unused years later after his passing I believe I'd be a bit sad/disappointed. I would have purchased it for him to enjoy, not for me to inherit/resale later. JMO.

GB1

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
An astute observation!

That would be the last thing that I’d want to do…….that said, I’m leaning toward using it!

So……what do ya think of my prospective bullet? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Our daughter and SIL will not be around here for Christmas, so we exchanged gifts today!

My gift was my birthday and Christmas combined! Never in my wildest imagination would I have even begun to imagine this……A Freedom Arms, Model 83, Premier Grade, 6” Octagon barrel, 3lb. trigger and trigger stop, in 475 Linebaugh!

Wow doesn’t even begin to describe my emotions! It’s simply too nice to use! memtb

Cool paperweight

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Obviously, I’m still “straddling the fence” a bit…..but, if I put this to good use, what do y’all think of this as a bullet for those little strolls out in the country? memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Congrats on the awesome gift! As to that bullet, I'm thinking gas checks are likely not needed unless you're running them full throttle. I'd also check the nose length vs your cylinder length to make sure it will fit (the nose looks pretty long on that one).

I like the Lee 400 gr in my 480 Rugers. It's a plain base bullet that works fine with WW alloy, but I've only loaded them to 1000-1100 fps. 400 gr at 1100 is approaching 45-70 blackpowder rifle performance in a handgun. That seems like plenty for anything I'd want to shoot.

The 370 gr bullet that paul105 linked to looks like a good one that I'll probably order some to try.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I do this, it will be powder coated wheel weights. The velocities will be kept under 1200, so as you say….I should be fine without using a check. I’ll save my checks for my 460 S&W and my 45-70…..checks have gotten outrageously expensive these days! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
All go down to the tasting room in Kirby to celebrate.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some of the family went and tried the bourbon …..they weren’t impressed! But, maybe they’re just not bourbon connoisseurs! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/17/23.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Very Nice!

Better put it to lots of use. That is what would make me happy if I gave someone something like that. Years ago, I gave my dad a set of Swarovski binoculars for father day because I knew he would never buy a set for himself, and he was an avid outdoorsman. To his credit, those binos have a lot of edge wear on the body from being worn for many hours. Exactly as intended.

So go out and use your gift and enjoy it. They don't have to be full throttle loads. You can build some squirrel loads for it, but just go shoot it and enjoy.

If I bought my dad a similar gift only to find it unused years later after his passing I believe I'd be a bit sad/disappointed. I would have purchased it for him to enjoy, not for me to inherit/resale later. JMO.

Plus one more for this thought. If I bought something good for my old man, I'd want him to use it. If I got it back when he died, it would mean so much more if it showed use.
Fwiw, a 370 gr will do anything needed in the USA at 1,000 - 1,100 and be easier on the hand.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m curious memtb, did they find it on a shelf somewhere or have it made to spec by Freedom Arms? I’m wondering what the wait time for something like that is from the factory?

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
A friend of my daughter and SIL bought a large quantity of Henry’s , Freedom Arms, and a few Ruger firearms NIB from an older gentleman that he knew. They (daughter and SIL) bought several items from their friend…..I was with them when they looked at the guns. I saw this one, “drooled” on it a bit, talked about the cartridge…..and was surprised last night with it as a gift! In my wildest dreams……I never expected this! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/17/23.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvnv
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Very Nice!

Plus one more for this thought. If I bought something good for my old man, I'd want him to use it. If I got it back when he died, it would mean so much more if it showed use.
Fwiw, a 370 gr will do anything needed in the USA at 1,000 - 1,100 and be easier on the hand.

Yup.... gotta shoot it or you'll have bad ju-ju on you 😉 I would have already ordered a holster lol.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"As I mentioned last night, they’ll get it back when I kneel-over, and I’d like it to retain it’s greatest value."

My friend, the greatest value this firearm will ever have is that it was YOUR gun and you used it to hunt with! Your family will consider that over all other things.

Just don't let your wife use it to shoot a critter with! grin

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by frogman43
"As I mentioned last night, they’ll get it back when I kneel-over, and I’d like it to retain it’s greatest value."

My friend, the greatest value this firearm will ever have is that it was YOUR gun and you used it to hunt with! Your family will consider that over all other things.

Just don't let your wife use it to shoot a critter with! grin

Frog----OUT!

Thanks Frog……I value your recommendation! 😉 memtb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful hogleg sir! Use it like it was meant to be used.

Wait…I have an idea…since you are still so shocked and in disbelief, and still not sure you should use it…the best, most unselfish thing you could do is RE-GIFT it to ME! Your daughter and son in law seem like great people, they’d understand. 🙃

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Beautiful hogleg sir! Use it like it was meant to be used.

Wait…I have an idea…since you are still so shocked and in disbelief, and still not sure you should use it…the best, most unselfish thing you could do is RE-GIFT it to ME! Your daughter and son in law seem like great people, they’d understand. 🙃

😂😂😂😂 They’re great people…..but, that may be pushing their generosity a little bit! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/18/23.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seems like not using it would almost be a slap in the face to those who loved you enough to gift it to you!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I hadn’t considered that…..another page in the book of conundrums! 🤔 memtb

Speaking of conundrums.... it is such a beautiful revolver but again if you are getting a bit long in the tooth the only way to appreciate the accuracy would be to mount a red dot.... Last time I looked they had holsters ready to sell set up for that.

Just saying cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://www.starlinebrass.com/475-linebaugh-brass

For the most part when SL is accepting back orders that means in production soon

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I hadn’t considered that…..another page in the book of conundrums! 🤔 memtb

Speaking of conundrums.... it is such a beautiful revolver but again if you are getting a bit long in the tooth the only way to appreciate the accuracy would be to mount a red dot.... Last time I looked they had holsters ready to sell set up for that.

Just saying cool

Yep…..had to do that with my S&W 460. It was transformed from a 50 to 70 yard handgun to a 150 yard handgun……provided I have a good rest!

I was pretty disappointed that Galco doesn’t make a holster for it…..wanted the Kodiak same as I have for my XVR.

Speaking of rest, at my age, after typing all of this ……I need a rest! 😉😁 memtb

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
https://www.starlinebrass.com/475-linebaugh-brass

For the most part when SL is accepting back orders that means in production soon

Thanks, I found that this morning……which only added more quandary! Another excuse for not using it….”squashed”! memtb

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.