Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
This is a huge desalination plant in Saudi Arabia. I saw it many times from the air during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. CA government is too stupid to invest in them.

In the U.S., over 400 municipal desalination plants have been opened since 1971.
Most are in California, Florida and Texas

link

Tampa Florida
[Linked Image from tampabaywater.org]

San Diego California
[Linked Image from cdn.kqed.org]

GB4

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's not a mandatory program, it only allows various water companies to follow that route under strict guidelines and regulations (both state and federal). California is also not the first, Colorado was first... and we are only slightly ahead of Arizona, Nevada, Texas and Florida. As to the safety and purity of our water, would match it to any in the country... we damn sure haven't had to revert to store bought bottled water.

Phil

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And where's that store bought water come from?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
And where's that store bought water come from?
We have a water bottling company here using Municipal tap water...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When sugar is "burned" in the body 6 carbon, 12 hydrogen, and 6 oxygen atoms (per sugar molecule) get mixed with 6 oxygen molecules (O2) to produce carbon dioxide and water. One simple case of new water being made all day, every day.

Oryx in the Kalahari Desert will likely never see frank water their entire lives. Their only source of water is from the carbs being broken down into simple sugars. There are many more examples of reactions producing water as a byproduct. To say water is not made (and used) every day is absurd.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This is a recent decided case against Arrowhead bottled water that has been going on for decades. Apparently and from what I remember they never even had a license to operate up there.

Link

Phil

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What'll they approve next? Light beer? Canadian whiskey? I shudder to think about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How many rocket loads of fresh water have been sent to the International Space Station?

Not many. They been drinking toilet water for the most part. 🤪

Most folks don’t understand that our waters, both surface and ground water, are far from the purity most imagine. The chemistry is revolting on the best of days.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jeff treated sludge, from lo metal, Activated Sludge plants, is mostly used on lo sugar crops, all disposal is regulated. Nothing worse than disposal on cow pastures and seeing the cows come running!

40 year Water and Wastewater operator, with a degree in [bleep]!

Most wastewater plants discharge treated wastewater into a stream in the lower 48, and downstream is where most of Water Plants get their water for the Water plant.

Rivers and streams that are not overloaded with pollution or BOD are quite capable of treating organic waste.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Most wastewater plants discharge treated wastewater into a stream in the lower 48, and downstream is where most of Water Plants get their water for the Water plant.

That's why I didn't care for the tap water in Louisville when I was in college. Everyone from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati had shìt in it before it got to me.

Here at home I get to take a dump in Nashville's drinking water.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
California has water shortages in part because they destroyed some dams so fish can swim upstream although they built ladder steps for fish to jump to get upstream. Same in Washington and Oregon, then all of them gripe about water shortages.

Not even a drop in the bucket…. The few tiny dams they have removed probably didn’t equate to 1/10 of a percent of our water storage….. the real issue is “urban sprawl”….. there are more city people voting for more sub divisions and golf courses and less votes for AG use.
The easy way to say that is .................

there are too many people.

And thanks for pointing out the dam thing. I can't recall one dam removal project that involved storage of water for any significant population center..yet.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeL2
This will shock some of you, but I actually opened up and read the Guardian article!!! Reclaiming Wastewater

It's pretty well written. The idea of reclaiming wastewater for drinking has been around quite awhile. I looked at some of the pilot programs back in the early 80s, including the one north of Denver. The technology is pretty well proven, the big hurdle has been something that the article mentions: "California’s new rules require the wastewater be treated for all pathogens and viruses, even if the pathogens and viruses aren’t in the wastewater. That’s different from regular water-treatment rules, which require treatment only for known pathogens...".

Trying to prove there are no dangerous viruses is very difficult, almost impossible by lab testing, so you have to use treatment methods that don't let viruses get thru. They give a hint in the article: "In fact, the treatment is so stringent it removes all the minerals that make fresh drinking water taste good – meaning they have to be added back at the end of the process." That usually means either distillation or reverse osmosis. Most likely reverse osmosis since it takes less energy and is less expensive. By the time its finished it probably is closer to pure water than what they pulled out of a well, river or reservoir to begin with.

For those that say why not just desalinate ocean water - it takes around three times as much energy and cost to get drinkable water from seawater as from wastewater. In other words - there are fewer impurities in the water that comes out of a modern sewage treatment plant than what comes out of the ocean.

Yeah - I'm retired now, but a couple of my professional fields were in wastewater management and drinking water supply/treatment systems.

Mike..................

stop trying to make sense here.

It's not allowed

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by BeanMan
It pays to be at the headwaters

Bad news for you BeanMan, Colorado was the first state to allow this.

From the linked article...

"California would be just the second state to allow this, following Colorado."

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
Originally Posted by BeanMan
It pays to be at the headwaters

Bad news for you BeanMan, Colorado was the first state to allow this.

From the linked article...

"California would be just the second state to allow this, following Colorado."
Pretty sure Michigan adopted it 3-4 years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good.
They are always in need of water, maybe a pipeline from nearby states could be constructed to send them more waste water.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good.
They are always in need of water, maybe a pipeline from nearby states could be constructed to send them more waste water.

You know, just to help out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeL2
This will shock some of you, but I actually opened up and read the Guardian article!!! Reclaiming Wastewater

It's pretty well written. The idea of reclaiming wastewater for drinking has been around quite awhile. I looked at some of the pilot programs back in the early 80s, including the one north of Denver. The technology is pretty well proven, the big hurdle has been something that the article mentions: "California’s new rules require the wastewater be treated for all pathogens and viruses, even if the pathogens and viruses aren’t in the wastewater. That’s different from regular water-treatment rules, which require treatment only for known pathogens...".

Trying to prove there are no dangerous viruses is very difficult, almost impossible by lab testing, so you have to use treatment methods that don't let viruses get thru. They give a hint in the article: "In fact, the treatment is so stringent it removes all the minerals that make fresh drinking water taste good – meaning they have to be added back at the end of the process." That usually means either distillation or reverse osmosis. Most likely reverse osmosis since it takes less energy and is less expensive. By the time its finished it probably is closer to pure water than what they pulled out of a well, river or reservoir to begin with.

For those that say why not just desalinate ocean water - it takes around three times as much energy and cost to get drinkable water from seawater as from wastewater. In other words - there are fewer impurities in the water that comes out of a modern sewage treatment plant than what comes out of the ocean.

Yeah - I'm retired now, but a couple of my professional fields were in wastewater management and drinking water supply/treatment systems.

^^^^This^^^^
MikeL2 - VERY well written sir! ....and spot on!

Desalination works very well on large military vessels and those stupid cruise ships I suppose.

We had one plant that used Ozone (O3) as a primary disinfectant. Ozone is a spectacular disinfectant, and super expensive to generate, but it isn't very hardy. We still had to use chlorine and ammonia to create a chloromine to meet Cl2 residuals at the far reaches of the system.
Ozone is a strong enough oxidizer, that most impurities in the raw water were destroyed before they ever got to chemical treatment and filtration areas of the plant. The savings in coagulants still didn't offset the onsite Ozone generation costs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Good.

That's why Lake Mead is almost dry and the Colorado is no more than a dry gulch leaving Arizona. Californicate is sucking it dry.

Where most of Americans are concerned about their electricity bill as their most expensive utility, in CA, their water bill is their biggest concern.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd rather drink Bug Light...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
@ funshooter

"... We drink water from streams when we go camping.
Fish ,Deer, Elk and all kinds of other critter piss and crap in those waters. ..."

Ever get a case of "Beaver Fever"?
There is a critter that lives in the intestine of warm blooded animals. Llamblia Giardia! NASTY little bugger that is passed in the feces of, especially, the beaver! Ergo, the name! "Beaver Fever"!
Once ingested, your stomach acid desolves it's calcium coating, releasing the little bugger into YOUR warm gut!
Diarrhea, fever, nausea, etc.....and in extreme cases, death!
But if you hunt, hike, fish, outdoor in the west, you're probably VERY away of this!
If you're NOT aware of Beaver Fever, learn about it before drinking out of a "pure mountain spring"!

....and yeah! I've flopped down on my belly and drank a million (?) gallons out of whatever water source I was near! The resilience of youth and ignorance!

Best water I ever Drank was on a Boy Scout Hike up to Kings Peak Utah.

Warm summer days and Ice cold flowing water in the stream next to the trail.
I was around 17 back then.
Those were good times.

I'm sure we drank somethings piss in that water but back then you never thought about it.

That water was way better than drinking that crappy City water at home.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1234, 78 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.