H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by bushrat
Most don't consider the MOA trigger to be a good one. Of the 8 newer model 70's with the MOA trigger I've had in the recent past and still own a few, only two came close to living up to their advertising hype. I've found them to be very inconsistent in creep and range of poundage adjustment.
I stand corrected. I only have older model 70s and they have excellent, yet simple triggers. I am not familiar with the newer triggers.
The MOA trigger feels like cheap pot metal and is inconsistent.

I wasn't aware of this. I always admired the old model 70 triggers. They felt good yet were very simple, easy to adjust, and shouldn't have been expensive to manufacture. I wonder why they quit using them.
Bean Counters thought it to be cheaper if Browning and Winchester used the same trigger.

Last edited by Huntz; 12/23/23.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Model 70 triggers are pretty good until you get someone that doesn't know how to adjust them then the bolt gets locked up. They were simple but the only adjustment is pull weight. Timney makes a decent trigger and Shilen does as well for the Remington M700.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I heard the Timneys that were in the new 700s were Non adjustable…… any truth to that or was that a lie?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Anyone have one in a new 700??

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I concur with the comments above about the new Winchester MOA triggers; they are garbage. Lowest trigger pull you can adjust them to is 4 lbs. and that is not consistent. I replaced the MOA with Timney trigger and it was an improvement but the ergonomics / geometry is not the same as the factory. The Timney changed the length of pull and the trigger shoe didn’t match the factory. I wish there was a good alternative. I may try the JARD trigger. Otherwise I intend to sell the rifle and move on from ever buying Winchester again.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nosler had an 3 position safety with their push feed rifle. Remington is just taking short cuts and making "me-too" bro rifles that are like everything else on the crowded market. They need to slow down. Take a look. Put in an outstanding trigger and 3 position control.

You'd think that for what these jokers are charging for robot/machine made rifles they could at least get the safety control right and offer good triggers.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
True. The ones in Remington are non adjustable. Set at 3 lbs.
Reply to ND2506.

Last edited by Hugh_W2; 01/08/24.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a M70 in 243 with a MOA trigger (BACO model out of the South Carolina plant in 2012 when they first came out) and it is adjusted to 2.8 lb....have a 308 Classic M70 in 308 out of New Haven plant 1993 year with the older trigger and it is 2.3 lbs.....really can't tell the difference in a hunting rifle set up. Both break with no over travel or creep.....guess I got lucky in both.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have had number of 700's over the years. I will never ever own another. All horrible triggers . Bad enough to garner attention on the news.

The very worst was a 700 Titanium rifle I ordered new at a favorite gun shop. No shop had one to handle as they were too expensive.

I ordered it for a sheep hunt in the Alaskan Range. I should have cut the frizzing thing in half and sent it back !!

7 /08.... safety was as loud as closing my p'up door, Replaced it. 8 lb trigger. I called Rem 9 times , finally same man I had been talking with admitted Rem and been " Lawyered -up" . Right! I replaced it. Horrible key lock, could be put on by fooling around with it in camp....if the key was not available it would not unlock. Did not shoot worth a chit.

Bought a new Weatherby MK V, for my son , same hunt. in .270 WCF. Held 1 more cartridge , longer fluted SS BBL. . Shot much, much better , in a better cartridge than the 7/ 08. AND.. AND weighed within ounces of the crappy Rem.
Plus demanded confidence , something the Rem. could never accomplish.

I went out and got drunk when I sold the SOB.

All that being said the biggest mistake Rem made was letting the Sandy Hook Law Suit get away from them.

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ND2506AI
I heard the Timneys that were in the new 700s were Non adjustable…… any truth to that or was that a lie?

Yes and no. Most models have the Timney Impact 700 which is a non-adjustable, 3 - 4 pound trigger. From a manufacture's standpoint that's probably the best option for $600 - $1000 hunting rifles. The 700 Alpha 1 and the 700 Police models have Timney Elite Hunter triggers that some at 3 pounds but which are adjustable for pull weight and over travel.

My Alpha 1 trigger was beautiful, right out of the box, no discernible creep or over travel and as light as anyone in their right mind would want a trigger on a hunting rifle. I have adjusted it down a bit (mainly just so I could say I did and be like the cool kids) and will use it that way between now and next hunting season for load development/range time. If I find my beat up old fingers are okay with it like that I'll leave it. I suspect, however, that I will be returning it to more like it was originally.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I posted in Long range hunting before seeing this thread.

I just purchased a Mod 700 Long Range 30-06. The stock looks good. The action is 700 smooth but the Timney trigger that came with it is junk. I had to use a screwdriver to get the bolt out to clean the metal shavings left by the factory drilling the rear scope mount. I took the action out of the stock to see if the bolt release was rubbing or just gunked up. I found neither. The channel on the Timney bolt release slide is much wider than the guide pins it's sloppy side to side and doesn't travel far enough in a straight line vertically to fully engage the rifle actions bolt stop release. I can't push the bolt release up far enough to remove the bolt with the stock on or off. I'm not impressed.

It's obvious to me Remington didn't bother to do a function check before boxing it up. It's also obvious Timney isn't putting their best foot forward with this cheaply made trigger. Both outfits missed the mark in my opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
I concur with the comments above about the new Winchester MOA triggers; they are garbage. Lowest trigger pull you can adjust them to is 4 lbs. and that is not consistent. I replaced the MOA with Timney trigger and it was an improvement but the ergonomics / geometry is not the same as the factory. The Timney changed the length of pull and the trigger shoe didn’t match the factory. I wish there was a good alternative. I may try the JARD trigger. Otherwise I intend to sell the rifle and move on from ever buying Winchester again.
Winchester MOA triggers can be reworked to be consistent & lighter than 4 lbs... the trick is to smooth & polish the contact surfaces, which takes some skill, common sense and the right tools (not a job for everyone!)... that alone will usually lighten the pull by a full lb or more, plus make it consistent... then if you want to lighten the pull further, install an Ernies or M-Carbo trigger spring (i prefer the latter)... Tip: buy several as they vary in pull weight... my 3 Baco Win 70's, 280 Rem breaks @ 2 lbs... the 30-06 @ 2lbs 4oz.. and the 7x57 @ 2lbs 8oz... and all are very consistent...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
A man could just buy a Model 70 Winchester and get a good trigger, three position safety, and controlled round feed.

But not the accuracy of a Rem 700.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dale06
A man could just buy a Model 70 Winchester and get a good trigger, three position safety, and controlled round feed.

Based on what? All the M70s I've owned shoot/shot MOA or better with factory ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by dale06

Based on what? All the M70s I've owned shoot/shot MOA or better with factory ammo.
i've only owned 5 Win 70's... 2 USRAC's and 3 BACO's... they all shot .750 or better with handloads... never tried factory ammo...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have disabled several safeties on early 700 ADL's so that the safety does not lock the bolt down. I think I did one BDL also. I like being able to empty the magazine with the safety on. A three-position safety that block the firing pin is the answer that I can believe in. I do like the safeties on the Winchester 70's, the 03's and the Mausers. Even so, I like Remington's more than any other rifle, though I have had a few 70's that I really liked too.

For me, blocking the firing pin is more important than locking the bolt.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/10/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Akshooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.