Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JakeM78
It would be AR15's and bolt action rifles. Handguns would be an afterthought.
Nah, all the NBA-Americans have their Glock with switches.

Ken
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
If the shiit really did hit the fan, would you rather have 7 or 8- 9mm's and a bunch of the same ammo? Or would you rather have 5 or 6 nines and a couple of 45's but you have to store a bunch of different ammo? Just wondering what your choice would be if you had plenty of time to prepair?

Start with an AR in 5.56 and a Glock 19 for every shooter in the house and plenty of spare parts for each.

Build from there.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don’t understand the original question.

What version of SHTF are we envisioning?

Under most scenarios I can imagine, I’m defending my semi-rural home and the resources contained therein. In that case, I’ve got all the weapons and ammo I have, which are substantial.

Do I need to leave my home for some reason? Am I vehicle-mobile, or walking?

Am I walking alone? I doubt that ever could be a great idea. If so, one pistol is enough. Why weigh myself down with 8-9 handguns?

If I’m alone, the possibility of my G40 failing and being the reason for my demise is miniscule. There are too many other things that could go wrong than that.

Am I arming a group of people, including family members, in a post-apocalyptic walking/hiking tour? Seems sooooo unlikely.

Is so, I have four 10mm handguns, including three Glocks and a DW Bruin and countless .40 S&W pistols. I have two 10mm semi-auto carbines that take Glock mags, including some 30-round mages I have. If I’m cutting weight, and arming multiple team members, it would be all of the 10mms and perhaps some 40s. The 10mm guns can fire 10mm or 40. Rifles and pistols take the same ammo and mags.

But the possibility of me needing to pick 8 handguns in a SHTF scenario seems sooooo cosmically unlikely …. The moment I walk out of my house with a bunch of guns and ammo and whatever else, likely is close to the end. I’m going to patrol around and murder other people and take their food and resources, and I’m going to do that with handguns? Then, when that runs out, I’m going to do more murdering and stealing? It’s not only preposterous to me, but not my style, and exceedingly unlikely to succeed.

I just don’t understand the premise.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Couple of quick thoughts. I think I learned a little here. I'd read many moons ago, probably something from Mel Tappan, about the idea of owning guns in many different calibers in case one runs across some ammo for an obscure cartridge. From Mackay Sagebrush's real-world experience, that sounds highly improbable. In fact, I started consolidating things a few years ago as I've gotten older, but I try to keep at least two guns for a given cartridge- if it might really be needed and a replacement can't just be bought- just in case.

As far as running for the hills, which was the common thought in the 70's and 80's, this article by Duncan Long, called "Backpack Fever" cured me of that. Very well thought out, and not terribly long. http://www.duncanlong.com/science-fiction-fantasy-short-stories/backpack.htm

I remember reading a book by Ragnar Benson (who I think may have been an early version of a "keyboard warrior", prior to the internet) in which he emphasized the pitiful conditions of refugees that he'd come across in his travels in other countries and advised his readers to never, ever, become a refugee. Seemed like good advice to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 thoughts when you say SHTF scenario - as in home invasion by one/several? Or really SHTF as in someone invades the US?

It would seem the first but I keep things simply in both situations. I have 3 Glock 9mm various models in my house, plus full mags. And lots of ammo. When a stressful situation happens, I honestly don't want to deal with 2-3-4 different firearms. I want one 'system' that I can run blindfolded, stressed, under pressure, etc.

I don't have any LEO or military experience but have had someone try to break into my house while I was there. I was a teenager at the time and only had a 12 ga which I was really familiar with. There would have been an issue had said Richard got inside. Instead my Mom got ahold of our neighbor across the road, off duty LEO, who proceeded to shoot Richard 3 times with a 12 ga outside my bedroom window. Rich made it to his house down the road - turns out he was a neighbor - then drove himself to the ER. The arrest was very anticlimactic.

Since that day, I have some kind of firearm, Glock in the past 10 or so years, within reach of my bed. I've practiced alot of scenarios through the years trying to recreate a home invasion. Without the stress, surprise, adrenaline, it's not easy to hit center of mass every shot.

I chuckle at internet heros who have this big plan of what's going to happen if someone breaks in. Your well thought out plan better be on auto pilot because your brain and heart rate will be going 1000 mph. At least it was for me - and that was 40 years ago. I still remember getting grabbed by the adrenaline monster when we realized someone was on the deck trying to get in.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I seem to very vaguely recall a pistol I once saw in a Guns and ammo magazine from the 70’s?, that was a survivalist type.

It was a revolver that had 3 barrels with long barrels and an attachable wire stock. It was chambered for 357/38, 22lr and a single 410. (Multiple firing pins).

The picture that stands out in my memory was of a hippie type guy wearing a large backpack. For the life of me I can’t find that article/gun on the internet.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A double barrel 12 ga. shotgun with a chamber insert for .22 Long Rifle in one barrel and one for .357 Magnum in the other would be useful. That covers six commonly available cartridges (.22 Short, Long, Long Rifle, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and the various sorts of shells available for 12 ga., e.g., slugs, bird shot, and buck shot).

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A double barrel 12 ga. shotgun with a chamber insert for .22 Long Rifle in one barrel and one for .357 Magnum in the other would be useful. That covers six commonly available cartridges (.22 Short, Long, Long Rifle, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and the various sorts of shells available for 12 ga., e.g., slugs, bird shot, and buck shot).
Link?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Link?

https://www.gunadapters.com/pathfinder-line-with-dave-canterbury/

and https://chaszel.com/product/357-shotguns-adapters/

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by viking
I seem to very vaguely recall a pistol I once saw in a Guns and ammo magazine from the 70’s?, that was a survivalist type.

It was a revolver that had 3 barrels with long barrels and an attachable wire stock. It was chambered for 357/38, 22lr and a single 410. (Multiple firing pins).

The picture that stands out in my memory was of a hippie type guy wearing a large backpack. For the life of me I can’t find that article/gun on the internet.

I remember that also. I recall it was the mid 1970s.

I have googled it from time to time. Never found it.

I recall that the .410 chamber was in the center and the cylinder rotated around it.

Must have weighed a ton.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
In a SHTF scenario:

25% will be dead within a month or two due to medical issues.

25% will die trying to use interstates.

25% will die of marauders murdering them for their resources.

20% will die because they won't be able to balance their humanity with survivability or are ignorant on the steps to remain alive.

4% will be unable to resupply their munitions and weaponry, obtain allies and will be enslaved.

1% will be armed, fed and will sabotage their perimeter and have warning of approaching interlopers.

"balance of humanity with survivability" that will be an eye opener for many, and the death of many more.
Question-what do you think the steps to remain alive are? I have a few ideas but am interested in what steps "other than bug out to the mountains" others think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I don’t understand the original question.

What version of SHTF are we envisioning?

I just don’t understand the premise.

Which is exactly why SHTF threads are never not stupid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Like gnoahhh, my scenario is staying put and defending if at all possible. Home is where the food, guns, and ammo are, and I’m fairly distant from any big towns. The azzholes should be whittled down a bit before they make it out here, and if the gas runs out, not many will be likely to trek this far.

If forced to flee, I’m thinking my .22 mag AR and a pistol to match would allow me to carry a bunch of ammo, and the rifle is no joke with energy comparable to a 5.7 or some 9mm loads. I weighed a bunch of ammo and it’s only slightly heavier than .22LR, but a lot peppier. My better half could tote a light shotgun.

Already have fire-making stuff, and water filters etc. stuff like that will be hard to find, and having convenient ways to accomplish those tasks would be a major advantage to someone on the run.
What kind of magazines do you need for a .22 Magnum AR rifle?

It’s built on a milspec lower. Black Dog Machine makes the mags, and I currently have 4. Those are what passes for industry standard for .22 mag and .17 HMR ARs. Obviously they won’t be lying around everywhere as some suggest (somewhat optimistically I think) AR and Glock mags will, nor will the ammo, but if Grandpa has to cut and run, he’s gonna have to rely on stealth and guile, not Rambo-esque heroics, to survive. Point of the .22 mag is lots of lightweight ammo of a decent power-level, and compatibility with a 30-shot handgun. Another .22 mag rifle would do as well, and maybe a lighter one would be better, even if it wasn’t a fast-squirter, but the AR is what I have, is accurate and dependable so far, and has a scope, laser, and light, hard to mount on other types for that cartridge.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Question-what do you think the steps to remain alive are?

Be willing to kill to survive. I mean willing. Not hesitant or remorseful.

Be willing to make hard choices to ensure your survival, even if it means someone else dies. No charity. No "humanity".

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Under most scenarios I can imagine, I’m defending my semi-rural home and the resources contained therein. In that case, I’ve got all the weapons and ammo I have, which are substantial.

That’s the most likely scenario, and offers the best chance of getting through a temporary breakdown of order. City and suburbans types would have a tougher time of it, and anyone that thinks this is inevitable should be getting out of Dodge now instead of sticking around the city for the shopping and restaurants.

I for one, won’t be murdering innocents for what they have. My life’s no more precious than theirs.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348

A LOT of people have that sort of plan.

I wonder how willing they are? I also wonder if they have considered seriously the question of being far outnumbered by those who are willing?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Question-what do you think the steps to remain alive are?

Be willing to kill to survive. I mean willing. Not hesitant or remorseful.

Be willing to make hard choices to ensure your survival, even if it means someone else dies. No charity. No "humanity".

Exactly………this even means family. Someone else’s poor decisions will virtually guarantee that you also fail to survive if you take them in! A very harsh reality….but a necessary reality!

In a true, long term, massive (nuclear war, a massive solar flare, EMT attack) most survival experts estimate that around 80% of the population in modern nations will die within the first 18 months. Living rural, having many long term supplies (medical, sanitation, foods, seed, ect.), some knowledge to animal husbandry and gardening, a good water source, a means and will to defend your home will go a long way to survival! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To get a good idea of what works and what doesn’t are the stories coming out of Israel of the October 7th massacre.
Truly, a worse case SHTF scenario.
One man’s story from a kibbutz that had a security detail was taken by surprise just like everyone else, but they put up a resistance with iron sights AR’s. He explained they had inferior weapons compared to their attackers and engaged in a30 minutes gun battle defending the kibbutz.
I don’t remember the number of attackers but it was a superior force. Eventually the Hamas broke off and searched for easier targets.
As time goes on it will be interesting to diagnose survivor stories.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
If the shiit really did hit the fan, would you rather have 7 or 8- 9mm's and a bunch of the same ammo? Or would you rather have 5 or 6 nines and a couple of 45's but you have to store a bunch of different ammo? Just wondering what your choice would be if you had plenty of time to prepair?

If I had to be on the move (but I am too old for that stuff now):

A smith and Wesson 317 for a handgun and a solid AR/M4 with a LPVO and BUIS.

The Ultralight J frame in 22 LR (12 ounces) would be primarily a quiet foraging weapon. Easy to carry 1,000 rounds of ammo.

The AR is for defense.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 12/23/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.