Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Aint a boomer been born that can resist gen-you-ine Amish crafted oak furniture. Visions of Levi working in the barn by candle light with plane and chisel.

Spoiler alert - the electricity can't come from the grid...diesel generator is A-Okay. They divy up product lines amongst the community...this shop does dining sets. Next over turns out bedroom sets. Next one over the roll top desk pimp daddy. All traditional like, complete with the scream of jointers, planers, cabinet saws and pneumatic sanders.

I don’t care if they’re made with laser printers. The furniture I bought there beats the hell out of the Chinese crap furniture plaza down the road.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on the local volunteer fire department board, and most of our firefighters are Mennonites and ex-Mennonites. In this area there at least 4 different "tribes" of them, and one bunch has a bishop who tells them that they can't be a firefighter. Just about every Mennonite I've met loves to gossip and it's a hoot listening to them talk about the different groups and how stupid the rules are. In that respect, they are no different from anyone else.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[/quote]
Bunch of Stoltzfus around here. Yoder is them yanky ones.[/quote]

Horse and druggies

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2-amish-arrested-for-drug-deal/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My deer processor and butcher is a Mennonite. One of the nicest people you could ever meet. His deer processing is excellent and not hurtful to your wallet. His beef is from his own farm and the taste and freshness is excellent. To boot, when he found out my wife was diagnosed with cancer he offered to supply me with all the deer meat I needed for that year due to me not hunting. Very king of him! In this world there aren't many people who would offer to do anything like that. Clay Godfrey is one of those people. Salt of the earth.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
I was telling my wife some of the comments on here

She's all put out with the Amish now, especially the Maw Yoder buying jelly in bulk
My buddy In Pa (near Lancaster) told me the Amish buy up all the day old bread from local commercial bakery & repackage as " Amish made" to sell to tourists..

IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hard to imagine subscribing to that way of life and end up still being a schitbird.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
hard to imagine subscribing to that way of life and end up still being a schitbird.

Humans are humans. No matter their culture there will always be a few turds

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
I was telling my wife some of the comments on here

She's all put out with the Amish now, especially the Maw Yoder buying jelly in bulk
My buddy In Pa (near Lancaster) told me the Amish buy up all the day old bread from local commercial bakery & repackage as " Amish made" to sell to tourists..

I know this for a fact........one of the Amish on my mail route would get five gallon buckets of honey delivered to him by me. He would then repackage it to pint and quart jars and resell it, advertising it as local honey, which in fact it was not.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The story I like is, when Amish dad thinks the boys are at the bar too long, he takes the horses home, but not the buggy.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
There's quite a few around me, I'm about a hour north of Clare. Most horse and buggy, or peddle bikes. They don't follow game laws, and are big hunters and use hi powered rifles, even in shotgun only areas!
I bet those Amish eat every scrap of what they shoot. The "English" often take theirs to Hunters For The Hungry which may be slightly better than what a lot of hunters do. They put it in the freezer and after a year or two haul it to a dumpster.

I've been called several times about ducks being dumpstered by hunters on the way home. Which would be legal if they were tagged. Waterfowl must be retrieved if possible but you can throw it away.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is it true that the Amish gene pool is so shallow that they will pay you to knock up one of their women folk?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I live here in Amish country and like everywhere else you have good ones and bad ones. They do try and hide behind the Bible when it comes to the "Outsiders", tourists. They have a drug problem with the younger ones just like the rest of the country. Give them a financial opportunity and they will skin you with the best of them, especially in the timber business. Their so called Amish Cooking at the many restaurants is a joke. Besides maybe some homemade pies and cookies their potatoes, beans and all the rest come out of cans like all the other restaurants you have ever eaten at. Mennonites drive cars, have electricity and all the modern conveniences as the rest of us. The Old Order Amish travel in buggies or someone takes them in their car. There are retired guys I know that make a business out of driving the Amish around. They get a nine passenger van, we call them Yoder Toters. They won't drive a car, but will drive to town on a new John Deere tractor pulling a wagon with kids and groceries in it. And you're right the electric bicycles are everywhere. They will come to put a roof on your house and then ask if you will let them hunt your place, don't do it. Not all, but a lot are game hogs. They will shoot anything that comes by during deer season and God forbid if you let them fish your pond. Most love their guns and hunting and if you go to one of the local gun auctions (like the ones they hold in Mount Hope) be prepared to pay through the nose if there is something you are interested in. One of the things that is REALLY irritating, at least to me, is what was already mentioned and that is the puppy mills. Criminal !! They also raise deer. We call them High Fence Farms. Because of the Cronic Wasting Disease I think all of the deer raising outfits have been shut down. They're not all bad I have some Amish friends and they are good people and will help you if you ask. Been to a couple of funerals. That's interesting. But if there is money to be made the Amish will be involved in it. There is also something that a lot of people don't know and that is they have a lot of physical issues that the normal public will never see or hear of, and I suspect it's from marrying cousins and such from the past. A bunch of the unfortunate family members are kept indoors, you will never see them. Holmes County is saturated, so they are moving out into the surrounding counties and the price of real-estate is skyrocketing. You will see a lot of one room school houses around here. The kids walk to school and normally go to the eighth grade and then go to work. Farming, maybe work in a furniture shop or the construction business. The unemployment rate is nearly zero. There is one outstanding trait here among the Amish, for the most part there is hardly any crime. Names were mentioned. Here are some popular ones. Troyer, Hershberger, Miller, Yoder, Schwartzentruber and Schrock. The buggies are a pain in the butt and dangerous on the roads, but they are entitled to use them like the rest of us. It is surprising that more are not involved in accidents then there are. Alot of them get passed on curves and blind hills. Even with all that's been said I would rather live here with the Amish than places I've read about in other parts of this country, especially the larger cities. BCM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
what would be the downside of living in that area?

I could be wrong but sumtin has always made me feel like they are real friendly if you there with open wallet to buy their goods and eat at their restaurants but if you were trying to buy real estate within their community it'd be a whole nother thing

Not really.

You aren't going to be buying any real estate they want.
Not unless you are a City F-ck with stupid money.
When they want something, they buy it.
Done, over, sign the papers.

Land, stuff at auctions, whatever.

A Mennonite friend was telling us about coming here from Hagerstown to
look at his farm. 20 years ago. He liked it and bought it. Somehow asking price was mentioned, and i ask how they negotiated so fast.

"We don't negotiate, it's not right to ask a man to sell his farm for less than
he thinks it's worth".

Seth, is a good man and a straight shooter.
That is not the case with every Plain Person. They are people just like any group.
Some are as crooked a a dog's hind leg.

Living among them?

Money flows through a one way valve.
They build businesses that rely on English money.
Sometimes almost exclusively.

They put forth great effort to not allow that money back into English hands.
With the exception of Yoder Toters (folks who drive them) there aren't many
places where they spen money outside their communities. Basically, only where they absolutely have to.

Oh yeah!

Going around a blind 40 mph turn in a semi at 55 and finding and Amish Freightliner
in your lane. Or, a pack of them on bikes.
Unlike English bikers, they do yield.

On more thing is finding yourself in close quarters in the summer.
It can be pungent.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told you only cheat them once.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
Is it true that the Amish gene pool is so shallow that they will pay you to knock up one of their women folk?

No.

Rumor is if you don't knock up your new wife fast enough, the Bishop comes
by to help you out. True, false, or Ordnung specific.

As to the gene pool?

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21168-maple-syrup-urine-disease

Maple Syrup Disease is enough of a problem that
Pennsylvania requires all infants to be tested for it.
Even though the Amish/Mennonites are about the only place it is found.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What makes an Amish girl happy?

Two men-a-night.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
there was a harness shop between Berlin and Millersburg with no electricity. he had several 20lb propane tanks with lantern posts on them.
for power there was an engine driving a couple shafts under the building and belts came up through the floor to power sewing machines and riveters.

solar is everywhere now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admire their work ethic, and the way they pass it on to their children, even though it means having kids do dangerous jobs around the farm. I also appreciate their ingenuity, and the way they figure out how to make something work, given the restrictions of their particular religion. I have seen them buy a few acres of land that no one else wanted, and turn into a beautiful and productive homestead. They will be the first to come and help a neighbor out after a bad storm or other disaster. I think it's great that you see no welfare or living off the government in their communities...........for the most part, although some of them are on Medicaid, due to a bad medical condition.

On the flip side, they have perfected many different ways to fool and rip off us English. They love to project an image that unsuspecting and unknowing English will eat up and they can get their money. It burns me up to see how they take advantage of the system, a system that the rest of us have to pay to use...............case in point, the highways and roads. While the non Amish and Mennonites have to have drivers licenses, insurance, and pay a number of taxes and fees in order to operate a vehicle on the highway, they basically pay nothing to use it for their horse and buggy, tractor, and bicycles. Yet, look at a road where horses with steel horseshoes, and tractors with steel wheels have run up and down a paved road, and you'll see how much they damage it. That is perhaps my major gripe with them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 28 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.