Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lgraham Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this round on Fox and Coyotes. It seems like we're getting more fox around here and wanted something that'll pull double duty and work for both critters. Obviously its not the best caliber for Yotes but I think sub 250 yards it'd be fine. Anyone have real experience with a bullet that'll work for both in terms of saving pelts/terminal performance? I hear good things about the 30 grain Texas golds but don't think there available anymore. Is there another .17 cal 25-30 grain non-tipped bullet still available?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's the 25 grain Berger, accurate but has a poor bc, works in 10 twist barrel. The 25 VMAX requires a 9 twist but has a good bc and is also accurate. Wish we could get hold of 30 grain .17's with a good bc for out past 300 yards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 25 gr Vmax is what I shoot out of mine. It has a 9 twist barrel though per above. Shoots in the 1/2 moa range in mine and I’ve dumped a couple of coyotes with it. It’s really not far off the heels of my 17 Remington in terms of velocity either. It’ll go further than 250 yards for a coyote too.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The ultimate bobcat/fox caliber. You won't even tell they've been shot unless you hit bone and even then sometimes no damage.
BC on this caliber is irrelevant. If it's a cdl sf or model 7, you lucked out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the problem is none of the bullets that work very well are made anymore. the best from what I have heard is the 25 grain berger match. I have killed 8 coyotes with 20 grain vmaxes. not really intentionally just it was the gun that was handy and in my hands. it worked but never dumped them on the spot and about half needed a second shot. I have some 25 grain hornady hp's no longer made but that is my bullet that I think would work the best that I have on hand.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the problem is none of the bullets that work very well are made anymore. the best from what I have heard is the 25 grain berger match. I have killed 8 coyotes with 20 grain vmaxes. not really intentionally just it was the gun that was handy and in my hands. it worked but never dumped them on the spot and about half needed a second shot. I have some 25 grain hornady hp's no longer made but that is my bullet that I think would work the best that I have on hand.

to close to the truth.

I doubt Nagel bullets are available any more. I have had good luck with Hornady spire points & 30 grain bergers. Not sure what distances you are thinking though I might consider an all copper bullet like the Hammer offerings in todays market.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
25 gr Vmax in my .17 Rem...loaded down to around 3600-3700 fps is the shizz on fox and bobcats, VERY fur friendly. I like a bit more horsepower for coyotes personally, but it has been made to work. A sample...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lgraham
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this round on Fox and Coyotes. It seems like we're getting more fox around here and wanted something that'll pull double duty and work for both critters. Obviously its not the best caliber for Yotes but I think sub 250 yards it'd be fine. Anyone have real experience with a bullet that'll work for both in terms of saving pelts/terminal performance? I hear good things about the 30 grain Texas golds but don't think there available anymore. Is there another .17 cal 25-30 grain non-tipped bullet still available?

I shot both a coyote and a fox with my 17FB. The coyote was quartering to me at about 200yds IIRC. I tucked the 20gr VMax inside the onside shoulder. It bucked like a bronc and then rolled down the ravine it came out of. 17 caliber entry, no exit. I shot the fox at 70yds broadside, just behind the shoulder. Same bullet, 17 caliber entry hole, exit was somewhere between a dime and a nickel. No problem sewing.

I would still have that Remington Model 7 Predator, but I had become a huge Kimber, three position safety fan. I sold it and had a Kimber 84M Montana rebarreled in 17Remington which I thought would be more likely to feed properly with no modification, than the shorter 17FB.

I calculated my max range by the energy my 22-250 had at my furthest shot on a coyote which was about 450yds. For the 17FB, that max range was 200-225yds. Add about 30yds to that range for the 17Remington.

L
Lgraham Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the replies everyone, guess the hard part is just finding the right bullets. Wish Hornady still made a 25 grain lead tip over the v-max

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every time I read one of these .221 Fireball cartridge derivative threads I seethe a little because the original .221 Fireball cartridge gets so little respect. It is like the the Rodney Dangerfield of cartridges and for no reason because it is a great cartridge. Locally .17 Fireball and .300 Blackout factory loaded stuff is everywhere and guys have wildcatted it up and down, yet a .221 Fireball cartridge or mention is non-existent.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had a few 17 Mach 4 and 17 fireballs. I always used the 25gr bullets, the Berger Match and Hornady HP's. Both worked great for me. But they are hard to find now. Luckily I still have enough to burn up a barrel or two. Getting ready to have a short chambered 17 rem built on a Howa mini.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
Every time I read one of these .221 Fireball cartridge derivative threads I seethe a little because the original .221 Fireball cartridge gets so little respect. It is like the the Rodney Dangerfield of cartridges and for no reason because it is a great cartridge. Locally .17 Fireball and .300 Blackout factory loaded stuff is everywhere and guys have wildcatted it up and down, yet a .221 Fireball cartridge or mention is non-existent.

that is really not hard to figure out why that is. just down load a 223 or shoot a 223 from a short barrel to duplicate a 221. the 17 FB is a flat out amazing little unit. it kills way beyond what you think, Recoil is about like a 22 LR when you run it suppressed. I have took varmints to beyond 350 yards with mine. it launches 20's in excess of 4100 fps. It will flat out explode starlings and flying vermin. I have seen people see me shoot mine and after a just right hit on a varmint, howl in shock and disbelief at the traumatic effect it had. add that much speed to a very fragile bullet like the 20 grain vmax and it has true grenade effect.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve shot both fox and coyote with the .17 Fireball. I’ve had great results with 20 g v-max on fox. For coyotes, you have to stay off the shoulder bone with the v-max or you’ ll probably have a runner.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t have a 17FB but have shot a fair amount of varmints with 17 Rem. 20 vmax has been terrible for me on coyotes. Usually “splashes” and blows a rather large hole on entrance. Probably shot 8-10 with it and finally just gave up. Never a bang flop and always had runners. Shot a few with the 25vmax and it seems much much better. Have called a few bobcats and foxes in and killed them all bang flop and zero fur damage so I ordered 500 25vmax. Hope they continue to be as good as I think they are.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve shot a few coyotes with the 17 fb, using 25 grain Berger’s. It killed them, but generally not on the spot. I much prefer more horsepower on coyotes.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
17 mach-4 always been good on coon and fox but little week for coyotes less they under 100- 150. 221 f.b. sweet round for fox/coyotes out to about 200 yards. Both lost out due to another cartridge being better.

Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
The first rifle I built was a 17 Fireball. After much research it seemed to be the ticket for efficiency and speed. I screwed up the first barrel in the threading process set that barrel aside and started over. The resulting rifle spits 20 grain Noslers with amazing accuracy and has taken thousands of Prairie Dogs. The barrel I set aside was eventually used on a smaller action (Zastava M85) and still in 17 Fireball. Killed 3 coyotes on my place at 50 to 100 yards and they were DRT. So this year I decided to park my 788 222 that I use for night hunting and give the M85 the reins. Killed 8 yotes in October with it but midstream switched from Berger 25HP to 25Vmax. The Bergers just did not seem to anchor them like on the spot.

Was reading this thread this week and happened to be be retracing my steps in load development with the Vmax in the M85. Finally got it back to sub 1/2" now all I need is some colder weather to get the yotes moving again.

I have all the makings for a .221 FB build and since I really don't need another Prairie Dog rifle, I'm thinking I'll build the .221 light enough to carry and will ultimately use it for yotes at night. There are some dandy light weight bullets in 22cal so it should be fun. I'm not trying to save the fur but I am trying not to wake the dead at night blasting off high capacity charges. I have not jumped on the suppressor wagon yet but that's probably next.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If your still looking Blackhole may have something to fit your needs. Not , cheap but what is now days.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Just gonna count and paste from one of my other rposts but the KAK 17-5.56 might be something to look at

So I've been pretty bummed trying to figure out how I could go about having a low cost .17cal center fire. Wanted to build my own on an AR platform but custom barrels,brass and and other stuff have been getting irritated. Sorry but for something I want just kinda like a play around gun ( I got everything I need already twice over I juat like playing with stuff) I can't see myself dropping $1500 on a custom/semi custom deal. And as I've posted before .17rem fire ball and the like brass is just a friggen pain to find or even find the parent brass to form. Big thanks to the guys who offered me some of I went and got one though. Well like my prayers where answer this just popped up on my 50th something search. I know these guys make some nice off the wall AR stuff like a 300wsm and 358win upper and this looks like it might be the answers to my prayers !!
Barrels are only $200 too !
Now before someone wants to say something about 17-223 please show me who's making affordable barrels and dies you can buy right now, I'll wait because I haven't seen anything since 2019. With this legit all your doing is taking cheap easy to find .5.56 brass and running it up in their die and boom ready to load. Now apparently from chatting a little with KAK ( nice folks) they have re worked some stuff with their reamer design and apparently have fixed a few problems the .17 rem and 17-223 have had relating to donuts neck turning and some other stuff
[Linked Image from trapperman.com]

So idk looks pretty promising, hoping to have a barrel and dies in by February to re build a old upper with if every thing goes good.

[video:youtube]
[/video

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found this thread pretty interesting. Got me to do some QT down range calculation between 3 cartridges.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MickinColo; 12/26/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 46 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.