Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 254 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 253 254
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That's why it is well-worth checking to make sure the reticle and erector axes are aligned while testing tracking and RTZ. By fixing the scope so that the reticle is aligned with a straight line, and then running through the adjustment range of the erector, one can easily and quickly confirm that there is no deviation from the line as adjustments are made, and that the reticle and erector axis are parallel.

Please post a photo of your system

Thanks
For a simple test like that, I use an optical collimator.

GB1

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Shooting live ammo,ain't as scary as it sounds. Not all wares are equal,nor even close. Hint.

To be continued. Hint.........
From the looks of this thread, the idea of shooting to test scope function is terrifying. Why else would all the do nothing bytches test scopes without firing a shot? Hint..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Shooting live ammo,ain't as scary as it sounds. Not all wares are equal,nor even close. Hint.

To be continued. Hint.........
From the looks of this thread, the idea of shooting to test scope function is terrifying. Why else would all the do nothing bytches test scopes without firing a shot? Hint..

I like guns and all but I would never fire a shot. Too loud!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by qwk

If a guy has the option of using a heavy fixture that rigidly holds a barreled action with a scope mounted on top, pointed at a perfectly laser leveled vertical line on a building 35 yards away accurately marked in mil and MOA or a tall target test with all of its inaccuracies possible, plus shooting a bunch of rounds down your bore, only an idiot would choose the latter.

Idiot

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The scope must be mounted so that the TRAVEL of the reticle is perfectly plumb while the barreled action is perfectly level.

The rub comes when the reticle won't track in the 'Z' axis (vertical) no matter how it's aligned.

100% what Mr. Nyhus has stated, if the erector does not track vertically it will have horizontal displacement somewhere in it's travel no matter where you are leveling it to the plumb line in its travel.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mclevela
The scope must be mounted so that the TRAVEL of the reticle is perfectly plumb while the barreled action is perfectly level.

The rub comes when the reticle won't track in the 'Z' axis (vertical) no matter how it's aligned.

100% what Mr. Nyhus has stated, if the erector does not track vertically it will have horizontal displacement somewhere in it's travel no matter where you are leveling it to the plumb line in its travel.

Exactly. And Mr Stick displayed this in his test with a known accurate rifle, accurate TT construct, favorable enviornmental's, using a random scope he purchased.

Though Mr Stick used a scope sample size of 1, which has no statistical significance if a claim were made that ALL scopes of that model would display similar tracking error, there is some suggestion that other scopes of that model could display tracking error.

How many? YGIAGAM.

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by mclevela

Exactly. And Mr Stick displayed this in his test with a known accurate rifle, accurate TT construct, favorable enviornmental's, using a random scope he purchased.

Though Mr Stick used a scope sample size of 1, which has no statistical significance if a claim were made that ALL scopes of that model would display similar tracking error, there is some suggestion that other scopes of that model could display tracking error.

How many? YGIAGAM.

I believe Al was referencing an erector that tracks in a non linear path. If it tracks in a straight line, it can be aligned vertically. The downside to forcing an erector alignment in conflict with the crosshair alignment is aiming error for any reticle aiming points other than the center.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That's why it is well-worth checking to make sure the reticle and erector axes are aligned while testing tracking and RTZ. By fixing the scope so that the reticle is aligned with a straight line, and then running through the adjustment range of the erector, one can easily and quickly confirm that there is no deviation from the line as adjustments are made, and that the reticle and erector axis are parallel.

Please post a photo of your system

Thanks
For a simple test like that, I use an optical collimator.
👍

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
everybody else is weighed in so I guess I will. I'm going to make it short and simple

testing the scope alone in a known jig the test for scope function is the first thing to do

checking rifle mounts rings and such for being squaredible above bore is second step..

getting mounted absolutely square to above bore would be the final step or maybe step three

.actually shooting would be my final step.
actually shooting without verifying on mechanics first can be a waste of time because of human error and or environmental factors..

the one thing I will disagree with some people on you need to learn to shoot your gun perfectly square and your scope radical set search not learn to shoot your gun with your scope radical square even though your gun may be can it in your scope can it in your rings...

shooting with your scope slightly counted whether you're actually dialing or using a radical holdover system will absolutely ruin your day

Last edited by ldholton; 12/24/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ldholton
everybody else is weighed in so I guess I will. I'm going to make it short and simple

testing the scope alone in a known jig the test for scope function is the first thing to do

checking rifle mounts rings and such for being squaredible above bore is second step..

getting mounted absolutely square to above bore would be the final step or maybe step three

actually shooting without verifying on mechanics first can be a waste of time because of human error and or environmental factors..

the one thing I will disagree with some people on you need to learn to shoot your gun perfectly square and your scope radical set search not learn to shoot your gun with your scope radical square even though your gun may be can it in your scope can it in your rings...

shooting with your scope slightly counted whether you're actually dialing or using a radical holdover system will absolutely ruin your day

What if you're dyslexic, diabetic, cross-eyed, and hung over?

Riar Rarry Roves Reupold

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What an imbecile

LOLOLOLOL

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by l’m-a-dolt
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I figured the simple terms is way over some simple people's heads

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figured the simple terms is way over some simple people's heads

LOLOLOLOL 😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you’re going to go to the trouble of making a fixture to simply hold a scope, why not make a fixture to hold a barreled action AND a scope?

Certainly is a precision looking jig for checking optics on a barreled action.
A couple questions if you do not mind.

We have to assume that screw hole in the V-block that the action is drilled with zero to small tolerance in relation to the Y axis and or there is a way to rotate the action a perfect plumb vertical.

How do you verify the action is plumb & square given the possible error in tolerances of the action screw holes & scope base screw holes location?

Perhaps you begin without the scope mounted?

Certainly looks like a slick, precise testing jig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The knobs you see on the base plate screw in and out to level the action on the table

The aluminum piece you see with the level on top fits tightly over the scope and action. If there is any play, paper thin shims are fitted first to eliminate it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After the action is precisely leveled, the scope is then placed on the rings loosely enough to rotate.

While sighting through the scope, the reticle is lined up with the laser-leveled vertical plumb line.

The scope is then set to a 100 yard zero with a collimator, reticle aligned with the plumb line and dialed to check for perfect vertical tracking. If when dialing, the crosshairs leave the plumb line, the scope is adjusted in the rings to correct

Rings are tightened, which takes care, as simply tightening the rings change the alignment of the reticle to the plumb line.

After it’s perfect, the scope is then evaluated for reticle subtension accuracy as well as click value accuracy through its entire travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The scope is perfectly mounted over the center of the bore at this point. Accurately to .001” at 6” according to Score High

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Most of the time, when I pull the trigger where the target was and where it is relative to me are the same. Unless you’re observing from off planet?

Maybe that's why stuff that just works for everyone else ends up with you having to send it back and argue with the manufacturer 2x-3x for each product, you just don't know how to use any of it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 20 of 254 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 253 254

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,975
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.