Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DonFischer
For myself I am totally against this thing called long range hunting. Amazing thing about it is I have never read of a bad shot. Seems long range hunter's? always kill with one well placed shot! If they would make a serious attempt to learn to hunt they probably would not have to shoot long range but, what fun is that?
I have a habit of asking this when " long range" is brought up

At what distance is long range defined and who defines it? One man's long range is another's mid range
Long distance with my stick bow is a lot shorter than my .58 Plains rifle, and neither are anywhere near my. Scoped rifles. - with me behind them .
Time of flight is something that needs to be taken into account and many do not, not to mention shooter ability which is rarely taken into account.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by Darryle
Sock puppets have a diverse language, but let me give you the cliff notes just based on the thread title

If you can't get close enough, you are a bad hunter

If you need to be up close to game in order to hit what you're shooting at, you are incapable of properly handling a rifle and you have no business tramping through the woods with a loaded rifle

You are a loose cannon and I don't trust you

Good Lord you are one of the biggest d bags on this board.

The way life should be.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by Darryle
Sock puppets have a diverse language, but let me give you the cliff notes just based on the thread title

If you can't get close enough, you are a bad hunter

If you need to be up close to game in order to hit what you're shooting at, you are incapable of properly handling a rifle and you have no business tramping through the woods with a loaded rifle

You are a loose cannon and I don't trust you

Good Lord you are one of the biggest d bags on this board.

Bluefish, I think you missed that both Darryle and Swamplord's posts were both DRIPPING with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My late Brother started as a wrangler for some bigger outfitters in Wyoming then became a guide between Idaho and Wyoming. He would not tolerate high risk shots and longer ranges. I don’t think he ever told me what he considered extreme range cause a lot depended on the hunter’s ability and his rifle’s acceptable range. One of his beefs were clients that started to feel the pressure when only a day or two are left to hunt. They wanted to stalk and hunt at reasonable ranges in the beginning then wanted to take almost any shot toward the end. He would allow some of this early in the day but couldn’t stand to see some guy shoot across a deep canyon late in the day knowing the animal would likely roll to the bottom or fall on the other side. To try and recover the game would mean going back for the horses and ride for hours in order to cross over or try to get into the bottom all in the dark. Often the animal was never found until next day sometimes never.

Clients bitching the guide couldn’t or wouldn’t retrieve their prize. After a while he got fed up with this crap and passed the client off to the outfitters kids or anybody who’d take them. He had one client who filed a formal complaint so he had to go to the Wyoming Board of Outfitters to explain his decision to drop a client who wanted to shoot at an elk in late day low light across a steep draw that was impassable with horses without riding ten or so miles around in the dark. The shot was guesstimated at around 600 yards. He felt his actions were well within the Board’s rules of ethics and they agreed. So it’s up to the guide really if you try what he thinks is a high risk long range shot that could end in crippled or wasted game. Of course the outfitter can see this as lost future income and a nick on his record so some awfully good guides have to look for outfitters who understand. Not all outfitters are guides so some see this as business only.

Rick

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Reason why I made a recommendation long ago that it should be LONG RANGE SHOOTING!

To take the 'load' off of hunters for reasons of this posting!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Reason why I made a recommendation long ago that it should be LONG RANGE SHOOTING!

To take the 'load' off of hunters for reasons of this posting!
Long range shooting (for me anyway)
Means targets .
If you are shooting at an animal, I consider it a hunting shot, regardless of distance .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
[quote=dennisinaz]

" I just spent $10 k at Gunwurks, i can automatically make 1000 yard shots"...

The guy who just spent 10K at Gunwerks needs to shoot at Ridgway or Williamsport & get his eyes opened.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We take out 150 to 165 big game hunters every year, we learned long ago to keep a couple of good tracking dogs, 99% of wounded critters here are shot inside 250 yards and 95% of them are gut shot. and we find 99.9% of them, if a wounded critter stays out over night we are lucky to retrieve the head. it does not have to be a long range shot to be a lousy shot. Rio7

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
never experienced it but I've read about before and I don't know if it's still current but some countries have been known to actually give shooting tests of shooting off hand on steel animal targets somewhat similar to our silhouette targets and even moving steel targets to see if they would even issue a hunting license.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by ldholton
never experienced it but I've read about before and I don't know if it's still current but some countries have been known to actually give shooting tests of shooting off hand on steel animal targets somewhat similar to our silhouette targets and even moving steel targets to see if they would even issue a hunting license.
Yeah got some friends in the EU that told me about it. Honestly, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to a degree

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Most of the injured big game animals that I've encountered over the years had injuries that were more consistent with being hit by a car. I've seen a few whitetails that had broadheads in them but they were doing fine when taken. Animals walking around crippled from a poor hit with a rifle seems like fairly rare occurrence to me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RIO7
We take out 150 to 165 big game hunters every year, we learned long ago to keep a couple of good tracking dogs, 99% of wounded critters here are shot inside 250 yards and 95% of them are gut shot. and we find 99.9% of them, if a wounded critter stays out over night we are lucky to retrieve the head. it does not have to be a long range shot to be a lousy shot. Rio7

During offhand matches - with .22s - AT 100 FEET people have difficulty keeping “groups” under 5-6”……after a while, if they stick with it, they can shrink those groups in half. Too many people think that if I have the equipment and put the reticle/sights on the target it’ll be an automatic hit - it’s just exaggerated as the distance increases (I see plenty of wounded animals under 300 yards - even under 100). I firmly believe that a competency shooting “test” should be implemented by every state before issuing a license - nothing that is too difficult but at least get people to use their equipment and “make” them somewhat aware of what it takes. This wouldn’t eliminate wounded animals but it would hopefully reduce the numbers?!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 12/26/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be willing to bet the farm that a way higher % of animals have been crippled and lost by average hunters/shooters, than animals that have been crippled and lost by excellent hunters/shooters at long range.

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/26/23.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I would be willing to bet the farm that a way higher % of animals have been crippled and lost by average hunters/shooters, than animals that have been crippled and lost by excellent hunters/shooters at long range.

That’s not a very good comparison - let’s looks at EXCELLENT hunters/shooters that do not take extend range shots on game.

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
how many folks bitching about long range hunting have ever shot a deer beyond 600 yards? how many folks have witnessed what happens on a bad hit at long range? how do deer respond to it? If you can't answer that question, your arguement is bullshit, that is a fact!

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee

That’s not a very good comparison - let’s looks at EXCELLENT hunters/shooters that do not take extend range shots on game.

PennDog

I guess you are not factoring in the terrain or situations, sometimes you can't get closer.

For example, when bow hunting my average shot on deer, moose, and bears is <20 yards. I have killed deer at the 100-yard mark.

KB

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
How about the stick and string? Talk about lost game.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
how many folks bitching about long range hunting have ever shot a deer beyond 600 yards? how many folks have witnessed what happens on a bad hit at long range? how do deer respond to it? If you can't answer that question, your arguement is bullshit, that is a fact!

Whoa buddy - nobody was bitching but you sure are riled up. Please look at my first post - these are fact observed from shooters at 850-1000 yards. Slightly over 1/2 of all shots, on average, would miss the vitals of an animal - this is from hundreds of competitive shooters. Plus don’t get me wrong I know there are people that can do it - but they aren’t many. My biggest point is I think that if it’s done to brag then that is as you say “bullshit”.

PennDog

BTW - I never intend to shoot at an animal beyond the distance that I’m comfortable with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner

Whoa buddy - nobody was bitching but you sure are riled up. Please look at my first post - these are fact observed from shooters at 850-1000 yards. Slightly over 1/2 of all shots, on average, would miss the vitals of an animal - this is from hundreds of competitive shooters. Plus don’t get me wrong I know there are people that can do it - but they aren’t many. My biggest point is I think that if it’s done to brag then that is as you say “bullshit”.

PennDog

BTW - I never intend to shoot at an animal beyond the distance that I’m comfortable with.
not singling anyone out, but if you do not know what goes on on a long range deer shot than you have no idea, I have myself taken 57 deer and a bear beyond 450 yards, a couple dozen beyond 600, more than a handful over a grand. why do I do it? because I spent over 25 years learning the how, and what, then after relentless practice I felt confidant enough to do it, have taught dozens of other shooters young and old the method that I have found that works.

I can say never have I shot one at long range that was not a perfect hit that ran out of sight unless it was a lung hit, then they just smell/taste blood panic and sprint to their death just like a bow kill, a 50 yard rifle kill or whatever. The poorly hit ones cannot relate a rifle report that far away with danger, all they know is they are hurt and lay up sometimes within feet of where they were standing when hit, they rarely go more than 40 yards before they lay down.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
People love telling other people what to do.

Whether it's purchasing a set of tires or shooting an animal, everyone else has an opinion of how you should do it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 16 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.