Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not buying it, too many holes in this story. The husband something something.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 12/27/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think that was not thought through, and was an emotional decision.

Tragic.

This.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JeffA
Take notes, another convincing method of getting rid of a unwanted body ya got layin' around.

You cynical devil! You think dad has a girlfriend?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I was 22 years old, I was hunting along side a northern BC river. It was about 25 below. I came to a place where I knew there was a big eddy, and rather than go around I decided there was probably enough ice to cross (it had been well below zero for the last ten days, with little snow cover). I was about halfway across when I felt the ice settle a bit and found myself standing in six inches of water. I backed up fast and got off the ice OK. If I had gone through there, the water was about ten feet deep and I would not have had a chance. I got away with it and learned to be a little more cautious.
Many years later, I was with a couple of friends, walking out on Bonaparte Lake, north of Kamloops BC. It was another cold day, about 15 below. There was no snow on the ice and both the ice and the water were crystal clear. The lake almost never freezes over entirely and there was open water visible 1/4 mile away. As we walked along, I would hit the ice now and then with an axe I was carrying. We were still 200 yards back from open water when I hit the ice and damn near lost the axe when it went through! We spread out and shuffled back to the shore.
My wife, as a first responder, took part in a few ice rescue courses and spent some time in the water, wearing a dry suit, and learned about the difficulty of getting out of the water and onto the ice. Going into running water, and under the ice, is almost guaranteed to be fatal.
A sad story but the woman didn't die a hero; she died a fool. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes Greydog. Bad enough going under the ice in a pond, but in a river? The current would sweep you downstream. How you gonna break through the ice, even if you catch the dog?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you go through the ice on a river, you are dead. Period. There is NO way to swim back upstream with your muscles going into shock.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think it was 6 months later that they found the body of a family that tried to save another dog here in Montana.

https://www.montanarightnow.com/gre...68e593c-f8ef-11ed-a916-f3f16b93d419.html

My wife has come to understand-but not really like my comments that she can always get a new puppy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s really bad since it sounds like from the man’s statement that it was in shallow enough water that he could touch bottom and walk out. The dog being shorter probably got swept under. The guy probably jumped in, felt around and sloshed around a little bit, judged it a lost cause and got out. Notice, he said the wife was coming in as he was getting out. That means she probably watched a bit and THEN decided to try and go under and swim for the dog. Being trapped under ice is one of those nightmare things. I think a lot of people would have trouble making themselves swim under ice for a kid or loved one, but a dog? I don’t even like thinking about it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/27/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I'm not buying it, too many holes in this story.

Yep.

Judging by the hole in the ice and the snow cover, there is no way he could see her "swimming" down stream.

Tragic either way though.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not buying it, too many holes in this story. The husband something something.

I hate to be a skeptic right after Christmas, but ....... did the husband have a hefty life insurance policy on his wife??

Just wonderin'.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
False flag

Crisis actors at work, attacking the freedoms and liberties of Americans.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely seems weird, my wife is mother to four as well, pretty sure she would have her kids in mind over a dog. Sad deal.

There was a local guy here that drove his sxs into an open lead on the Tanana River a couple weeks back. They were still looking for him last I knew.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

I hate to be a skeptic right after Christmas, but ....... did the husband have a hefty life insurance policy on his wife??

Just wonderin'.

L.W.

It does seem a little odd.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's more to the story......

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
Texans not recognizing a predictable winter hazard and suffering the consequences... RIP...
pLenty of dumb things by folks from all areas.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think that was not thought through, and was an emotional decision.

Tragic.
exactly. would be tough to let a child drown on their own. Thats what most dogs are. children. But you have to. Fact is in the microseconds this stuff happens no one here knows what their reaction would be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Just informed my wife to let the dog die.

Sad, but after a careful re-read of the initial story... this is the best response on this thread.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have seen feelings get in the way of common sense and safety regarding water and animals many times. This just plain sad! Warm bodies of water are dangerous, cold ones are deathtraps!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Couple things:

This is MSM reporting. Be cautious. don't take everything you readat face value

My first thought was also "something is hinky"..Not altogether dismissed yet.

People- especially women- make quick "not good" ignorant, emotional or not thought out decisions all the time. BTDT.

There are winter-time drowning deaths in the Arctic every year that never makes the news even as far as Anchorage or Fairbanks, much less nationally. Snowmachines go thru thin ice, into overflows, or open leads or waters all the time. People ill-advisedly go out into storms, or inter-village runs at night, often alcohol enhanced, without survival gear or even adequately dressed... Ignorance, hubris, and bad decisions...

Last edited by las; 12/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can’t tell a nurse anything.

TRUTH

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yup, something is up with that story.

Second. Yeah, I really like my dog. But, love? No. I'm not going to risk my live for the dog. After alls said and done, it's a dog.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.