-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Horrible ordeal that never should have happened. The dogs should have been shot immediately upon attacking that older gentleman.

My Pit Bull experience is limited to one dog that I got at roughly a year old from the local dog pound after her pics popped up on my Facebook feed. Not sure of her breeding but there is a lot of APBT there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

She was about 37-38lbs and friendly, but not house-trained or leash-trained, so who knows her background or what she'd been through. She immediately went after our big dogs at my house, bluffing the brindle one but the big white dog (alpha) put her in her place and the pecking order was established. Of the last half-dozen or so dogs I've had, she's the best with people. No growling at folks, ever. Happy to see anybody or go out in public on a leash. You can pin her down and play hard with her, but she's gentle in return. Also one of the most intelligent and perceptive dogs I've ever had. She understands very well and learns fast. Very "clingy" dog breed that really wants to be with you 24/7. Does not do well by herself.

But..... she's a different dog with most types of other animals. Hates a deer or a hog. I'd probably not put her around any livestock without watching her like a hawk. The drive to engage is there 100%. Even though this dog is great with people, I'd not want a 70+lb version of her, just because she would likely be difficult to handle under stress. I have family members that also have smaller Pit Bull terriers and they've had great experiences, but they are house dogs that they spend a ton of time with and treat well, not neglected yard dogs looking for something to bite. Just my two cents on my limited amount of time with the breed. If you can't or won't do right by them, they are not the breed for you. Even then, you have to know what you are working with.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
Horrible ordeal that never should have happened. The dogs should have been shot immediately upon attacking that older gentleman.

My Pit Bull experience is limited to one dog that I got at roughly a year old from the local dog pound after her pics popped up on my Facebook feed. Not sure of her breeding but there is a lot of APBT there.

She was about 37-38lbs and friendly, but not house-trained or leash-trained, so who knows her background or what she'd been through. She immediately went after our big dogs at my house, bluffing the brindle one but the big white dog (alpha) put her in her place and the pecking order was established. Of the last half-dozen or so dogs I've had, she's the best with people. No growling at folks, ever. Happy to see anybody or go out in public on a leash. You can pin her down and play hard with her, but she's gentle in return. Also one of the most intelligent and perceptive dogs I've ever had. She understands very well and learns fast. Very "clingy" dog breed that really wants to be with you 24/7. Does not do well by herself.

But..... she's a different dog with most types of other animals. Hates a deer or a hog. I'd probably not put her around any livestock without watching her like a hawk. The drive to engage is there 100%. Even though this dog is great with people, I'd not want a 70+lb version of her, just because she would likely be difficult to handle under stress. I have family members that also have smaller Pit Bull terriers and they've had great experiences, but they are house dogs that they spend a ton of time with and treat well, not neglected yard dogs looking for something to bite. Just my two cents on my limited amount of time with the breed. If you can't or won't do right by them, they are not the breed for you. Even then, you have to know what you are working with.

looks like some black mouth cur in the mix.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
looks like some black mouth cur in the mix.

I grew up with Blackmouths, so I thought so also. They make a hell of a tracking dog or a hog hound. But it turns out that there is a strain of the old, original APBT that had the black mask on the eyes and muzzle. These were the smaller dogs before they were turned into the big bulky dogs from rap videos and such.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I've had dogs all of my life. Mostly labs, coonhounds and beagles. I've watched the different ways they all use genetics that are bred into them to do what they were meant to do. Labs and beagles are very noticeable in the way they use their nose to track and find things. You don't "train" that into them. They are born that way. Now what are pits bred for?????????????
Pift Bulls were bred to fight other dogs, to lay their lives down in combat to please their master. Dogs that showed aggression towards humans were culled. This resulted in a dog that that is extremely devoted to it's master and very trainable and obedient.
They obviously had some culling to do, and they obviously didn’t get it all culled out.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
i read in Exodus this morning of some of the Mosaic laws coming down from Mount Sinai. One of them dealt with unruly oxen known to gore people, yet were still kept by the owners. the law was/is this: if an oxen known by the public to gore, but is not killed by the owner, and gores and/or kills someone, then the ox - and the owner - are put to death. this seems a practical approach to the pitfall problem ...

Common sense

God instructed man to take dominion over the animals and rule over them. Not too hard to comprehend.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you think Pit Bulls are shredders, take a look into Patterdale Terriers.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.