Campfire Greenhorn
K
Probably means he's not a good tracker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
I heard you the first time, a deer walking on a timbered ridge at 400 yards

No, you didn't hear me the first time.

If that deer is walking, there's no shot.

Plenty of time to range and dial though, and WAIT for a shot.

You act like you don't see many deer, and have to "hurry". Around here there's always another deer, and another opportunity. Let the sketchy shots walk.

You're defending haphazard holdovers and I'm saying buy an optic appropriate for the job and learn how to use it. Just the simple body size of the deer changes your point of impact because your references are different from one body size to the next, and can lead to an effed up shot. Learn something about ranging with a reticle and subtending target size, and you'll understand what you're being told.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
What do folks think about coyotes being gunned at beyond admitted abilities, simply because they're coyotes?

I've come across several people over the years who seemingly have a conscious limit to shots they'll take on deer or elk, but wail away at coyotes without any regard to their shooting ability, simply because it is 'just a coyote'.

Taking a 1000 yard shot by just aiming 10 feet high is a surefire way to educate a coyote, but that is a different discussion.

Seen the same. I think all animals deserve a quick death.

Minus kiddie fiddlers…. Wing em and make em suffer grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American

You act like you don't see many deer, and have to "hurry". Around here there's always another deer, and another opportunity. Let the sketchy shots walk.

You're defending haphazard holdovers and I'm saying buy an optic appropriate for the job and learn how to use it. Just the simple body size of the deer changes your point of impact because your references are different from one body size to the next, and can lead to an effed up shot. Learn something about ranging with a reticle and subtending target size, and you'll understand what you're being told.
Are you really that stupid? deer do not just stand all day waiting to get shot, I am sure I have as good of optics as anyone and make use of them, this is not my first rodeo.
How many deer have you shot at a distance, your telling me to do what I do except for some reason you think dialing a turret is nessacary at less than 500 yards, do you wannna see my drop chart? zeroed at 300 yards my 6.5 gibbs will hit somewhere in a 9" circle from 100 to 400 yards. so dumbass you hold lower third of the shoulder to 200, dead on at 300, just under hair at 400. its not that hard for most folks, impossible for idiots. Remember, I use my ability not yours.
just so you know I use a Leica geo-pro, a kestrel 5700, teamed up with a loopy mark 4, have taken deer to 1350 yards, thats .77 miles and your saying I have to dial at 400 yards, man you gotta quit smokin that [bleep].

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Are you really that stupid? deer do not just stand all day waiting to get shot, I am sure I have as good of optics as anyone and make use of them, this is not my first rodeo.
How many deer have you shot at a distance, your telling me to do what I do except for some reason you think dialing a turret is nessacary at less than 500 yards, do you wannna see my drop chart? zeroed at 300 yards my 6.5 gibbs will hit somewhere in a 9" circle from 100 to 400 yards. so dumbass you hold lower third of the shoulder to 200, dead on at 300, just under hair at 400. its not that hard for most folks, impossible for idiots. Remember, I use my ability not yours.
just so you know I use a Leica geo-pro, a kestrel 5700, teamed up with a loopy mark 4, have taken deer to 1350 yards, thats .77 miles and your saying I have to dial at 400 yards, man you gotta quit smokin that [bleep].

That no doubt struck a nerve.......

You keep on hitting "somewhere", and I'll keep on hitting where I paste crosshairs.

You're the arrogant know-it-all poster child for why people bitch about LR.

Congrats.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another lame azz thread, with all the division in this country, you would think a bunch of hunters could get together and just talk hunting.

But...... fook no, hate and hunters disbarging each other, whatta a sorry azz pitiful lot of keyboard beating dipsticks....

Jeezus, give it a fughing break already

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by johnn
Another lame azz thread, with all the division in this country, you would think a bunch of hunters could get together and just talk hunting.
But...... fook no, hate and hunters disbarging each other, whatta a sorry azz pitiful lot of keyboard beating dipsticks....

I totally agree with you.
I wonder if these people behave like that in person or is it just here that they lose all their modesty and empathy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Lets consider most first shots on deer are cold bore shots how many here put a heavy en fesses on your first shot? no matter the range?
in the field first shots are more important than shooting a group on the range. Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RIO7
Lets consider most first shots on deer are cold bore shots how many here put a heavy en fesses on your first shot? no matter the range?
in the field first shots are more important than shooting a group on the range. Rio7
The majority of shooters don't have a 600+ yd range outside the back door. I find that my oil shot is the most unpredictable, besides the velocity it'll always slower.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This thread topic always informs far more about human psychology than it ever does about hunting. Sadly.
In my current part of the world, wounded game generally don’t last long. The coyotes eat them alive or dead. Doesn’t matter to the coyotes.

A funny story to hopefully add some joy: many years ago my FFA Chapter started a big game shooting match to raise money. We shot targets of course but we did it before the deer/elk seasons opened and ranges were set around those goals.
We built a running deer on a cable, roller and pulley system. The deer was life sized wood with a paper target over the vitals. Gravity and a push downhill from a risk adverse FFA kid started it running. Match’s were 5 shooters a flight. Rarely did we have more than one shooter on paper. My cousins obnoxious husband was up and the FFA kid pushed a little too violently causing the deer to bounce a bit a one roller jumped the track stopping the deer. He laughed and aimed at the still deer a while, touched off his shot and knocked the near side antler clean off. 100 yards off hand. We all got a good laugh at that.
We made a lot of money with those events funding our trip to the national Western Stock-show each year.
F01

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fury01
A funny story to hopefully add some joy: many years ago my FFA Chapter started a big game shooting match to raise money. We shot targets of course but we did it before the deer/elk seasons opened and ranges were set around those goals.
We built a running deer on a cable, roller and pulley system. The deer was life sized wood with a paper target over the vitals. Gravity and a push downhill from a risk adverse FFA kid started it running.
That's a great test, but even more realistic would be to have the target start/stop at random intervals.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RIO7

Any time I go after critters with a rifle that I have not hunted, I check for zero at the range I expect to employ said firearm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If first shot cold bore is acceptable I do not fire a group.

Before I hunted the rifles above, I would check again for zero.

My idea, when you know you know and you know you know, confidence replaces hope/fear.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/28/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True Grit, Having a gun range on the ranch is handy, but it's 6 miles from my house I do everything everyone else does when going to the range, I just don't drive as far as some.

Did you ever think of putting up a target just for your cold bore shot, in addition to you other targets?

Once I have a hunting rifle shooting groups where I want it to, I start trying to get my cold bore shot located where I know it will go 99% of the time. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

here's an example of what i'm talking about 10 shots at 1000 yards 8 hits 2 misses.

Cold Bore at 1000 yards

Cold bore again 1000 yards

I'm not a big fan of follow up shots at any distance I want to know where my first shot is going at any distance. Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
geedubya, Knowing where that first shot is going makes for happier results. Rio7

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Same old bulls hit trod over again!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
In 1990 I believe, the Arizona game and fish commission was only one vote shy of cancelling Archery Elk hunting in Arizona due to the number of elk wounded by bow hunters.
I don't remember the exact figures but it was like 3 elk wounded for every elk recovered. They just could stomach that statistic and i can't really say i blame them.
I suspect there are a fair number of cripples due to guys buying " package" hunting rifles that suddenly make them long range hunters.

" I just spent $10 k at Gunwurks, i can automatically make 1000 yard shots"...

This^

Don’t have any field data on live animals - but can point directly to the results of Ridgway, PA long range varmint benchrest silhouette matches - where a winning score is in the low to mid 30s (out of 40) and the average score is in the low 20s. So 2-3 out of four shots are hitting a stationary target between 850-1000 yards (that would be the approximately size of vitals) - from the better shooters. I personally can’t imagine taking a shot at a living animal (that is moving or has the potential to move) at these ranges just so I could brag about how far I killed one. I have way more respect for the animals than I do a “hunter” that would take such a shot. Damn sad really that some need attention so bad that this is something they have to brag about.

The other things is how many of these shooters ever walk out to the distance they shoot to follow up a shot?

PennDog

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Didn’t read all the post , but people who do these long range shots are sometimes people who don’t do and realize the time and effort it takes to become efficient at this game
Myself ? Not a long range shooter , but know of lots of people who think they’re a crack shot cause they got lucky and killed a deer or bear at several hundred yds off handed
Then set down on a bench and shoot with them and they’re shooting 3-4” groups off a bench and you see how much of crack shot they really are
These same people go around continually taking these shots and do indeed Fugg up some game and billy bob sees this and puts them in a LR shooter class and gets an I’ll gotten opinion of it

Hell I went to a match a couple years ago and couldn’t even see the bulls eye at three hundred yards
Centered on paper and shot a good group , but score sucked
But the guys who had actually invested in upper level glass shot some fantastic scores
And this was just 300 yds
So I do get it that there are skilled shooters out there that are capable of getting it done .
Kenneth

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t have any field data on live animals - but can point directly to the results of Ridgway, PA long range varmint benchrest silhouette matches - where a winning score is in the low to mid 30s (out of 40) and the average score is in the low 20s. So 2-3 out of four shots are hitting a stationary target between 850-1000 yards (that would be the approximately size of vitals) - from the better shooters. I personally can’t imagine taking a shot at a living animal (that is moving or has the potential to move) at these ranges just so I could brag about how far I killed one. I have way more respect for the animals than I do a “hunter” that would take such a shot. Damn sad really that some need attention so bad that this is something they have to brag about.
PennDog

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the point you're trying to make here.
I've been shooting VBR at Ridgway since September of 2011.
I've missed one match since then .. I hit a deer with my truck in 2021. That makes 78 matches .
I'm currently in AAA class 17 pound gun, one match away....
One score of 31 or higher from getting into master class
Several year's ago I shot a match where I missed all 10 crows at 850 yards. It happens.
From what I was seeing spotting my own shots and the feed back of my spotter.
My misses were so close to the actual crow target I could actually say I don't think I missed any of those 10 crows by more than a inch.I was so close it was unreal.
Still 10 missed crows.
Pretty frustrating.
But my misses on the crows at 850. By the amount I missed them by. Would still put a bullet into the vitals of 10 deer.
Based of the size of a crow there is no doubt I'd have 10 dead deer laying out there.
Something for you to ponder.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnn

Agreed, but ya know the reality of this bs ?

It's always the short range, limp dick ED dikkhedds who start it, Lol !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.