Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've drug it around and had successful encounters with small bucks. I've seen bigger bucks whirl and haul azz too. Does hate it for the most part. Only scent I use is those fresh earth scent wafers. Those suckers are awesome. Clip one on and head to the tree. I've had better luck with my own urine whizzing out of my tree stand. I don't hunt over corn. I bought a lone wolf and some sticks and actually enjoy sitting in new areas. I'm a traditional bow hunter. Which translates to : he who bring home nothing lol. I normally kill a few a year with my widow, but man is it awesome when you stick a good buck with a recurve.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote10
I've seen bigger bucks whirl and haul azz too. Does hate it for the most part.

This. 1000x, this.

It cost me a crack at the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild to this day. I was archery hunting in SE Kansas and had that szchit out – rather than continuing on the path that would have led them within 20 yards, the doe got a noseful of the scent, snorted and turned tail for parts unknown (with him in tow). That was 15-16 years ago and also the last time I've ever bothered with it – it still haunts me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To be honest. If your hunting an area that a buck is cruising, there's enough doe pizz on the ground and everywhere the way it is. I do think the vanilla thing has some truth to it, but I've never tried it. Skane, I too my friend have screwed the pooch on a giant in Northwest Oklahoma because I had that stuff on a scent drag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The vanilla thing - I remember Dan Fitzgerald talking it up back in the 80/90's. He used to sell "Vanilla Killa" as a scent/attractant. Used to rent his videos all the time as a youth.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've always heard vanilla instant pudding mix dumbed on the ground. "They" say deer love that stuff.

IC B2

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried the vanilla scent bomb last Sunday hung it about 80 yards on the way to my stand on the edge of woods and pipeline sure enough around 9:50 a.m. a yearling spike was sniffing the air a few feet from the scent bomb. Not what I was wanting but hey it proved that the spike was curious and liking the smell. Will try it again tomorrow morning same stand. Monday will hunt a different stand and will use it there too.

;

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only had 1 good/positive experience with the stuff over the years. I do use ammonia with way more positive results.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JakeM78
No scents, no corn, no food plots, no cameras, no tree stands.

Same. Occasionally hunt a stand, but 90% of the time I'm sitting on the ground somewhere or still hunting. Always try to hunt with the wind in my favor.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had dramatic results from doe in heat scent.

But like others have started……. only dinks.

But dinks are delicious ……and dumping dinks ……you save on taxidermy fees.

It’s yuge!

Attached Images
Last edited by Angus1895; 12/16/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
It worked for roundoak.

lol

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I have had dramatic results from doe in heat scent.

But like others have started……. only dinks.

But dinks are delicious ……and dumping dinks ……you save on taxidermy fees.

It’s yuge!

Dinks is good eating for sure. I used both my buck tags this year on young deer and that was fine. Now I’m looking for a doe to close out my season.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only used it last week of Octocber and first week in Nov which falls in archery season here. Has worked for me on bucks and doe. Golden Estrus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not been a user, but have heard enough anecdotal evidence to believe under certain circumstances scents can give you an edge.

Matter of fact, I just had some doe in estrus scent delivered today. The peak of the rut is long past but I know of a dried water hole which is surrounded by overgrown CRP. The hole is about 30 yards across and some buck(s) has gone crazy along the edge freshly working over 7 scrapes, 2 of which are bathtub size.

I presume at least 1 doe has come into late estrus in the area triggering rutting activity.

I hunted it earlier in the year and passed up 3 smaller bucks waitin' on a biggun.

I'm gonna liberally douse those scrapes and see what happens. 🤷

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Was talking to a guy in Pa. that owned a deer farm
He sold breeder bucks to ranches all over the country at some hefty prices
So I figured if I was going to get the real deal it would be here
Up until this point had never had as my luck with it
So I asked him if I could buy some and he told me he quit selling it because the agricultural dept. had gotten involved and it became more hassle than it was worth
So I told him my experience with it and asked if it really worked or sales gimmick?
He smiled and said he figured if a fellow felt like it helped him , use it
I smiled back and said that was along my line of thinking

I also noticed all the bucks had their horns sawed off and asked why
Some huge knobs on top of their heads
He said people were crazy , they would see a huge buck inside the fence and shoot it knowing there was no way to retrieve it so he started cutting the horns down to the skull
He said once , some guys cut the chain on the gate and opened his gates in the middle of the night and let a bunch out and it sounded like a war going on around his property
He said it was almost impossible to round them back up after getting out , he managed to retrieve a few but most escaped or was found in the woods with heads cut off
Took a hell of a loss
Takes all kinds I recon
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 12/27/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago after I watched Michigan outdoors and Fred Trost sharyed his sh$t storm about lures, I made a couple of mock scrapes and pissed in them , on a friend's deer farm

The next morning the place was tore right up from deer scraping!
Since then I have made mock scrapes and used my own urine as attractant- haven't been horned yet but I have killed some bucks at pretty close ( under 20 yards) range ! LOL
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.