Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by garddogg56
If you think Jeeps and BMW are bad try Volvo ,just went for a state inspection only 45k miles on her need to replace a broken coil spring,timing belt+ tension pulley,bushings and brakes all four $5200.00
I WILL STICK WITH MY FORDS

Let me see if I'm getting this...

the STATE tells you when you have to get car repairs?
Poobah,

It's a thing Back East

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new jeep inline 6 has plasma deposited liners on the aluminum block. No iron sleeves. I hope they hold up better than a chevy Vega. Ford went the same route on their coyote v8 claiming it save 8 pounds of weight. I'd still prefer the iron liners and live with the extra 8 pounds. I'm sure it just saves them some money and builds in more obsolescence.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sa
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by dale06
I gave up on Jeep after owning one Cherokee in the 90s. Long story not worth sharing.

I'm in the same boat--except mine was a CJ 5

SAME on a Cherokee. Last POS I'll ever buy from Jeep.

Same here after a couple of Wranglers - wife had a thing for soft top jeeps.......both were full of rattles and squeaks and burning oil before 80k - and I am meticulous about regular maintenance, mostly highway miles and nothing coming close to real off road use. Unfortunately, my experience has been similar with most domestic vehicles I have owned over the years with the exception of a Ford Super Duty F250 - that sumbitch was going strong at 275k when I sold it. I've been driving Tacoma's for the last 17 years and the most significant repair has been wheel bearings at very high miles and a belt tensioner arm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
We have a 25 year old TJ and like it just fine. It hauls fishing gear and camping gear and the dog likes it. GD
Yep, I had one for 20 years with no serious problems. Broke a few things rock crawling but that’s to be expected. No electrical or power train issues. That 4.0 six is a great motor.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just replaced a 4.0 inline 6 in a 1993 sierra with 340,000 ranch miles on it hell of a motor, like i said before we don't drive Jeeps on the hi-way once we bring a Jeep on the ranch we don't license or insure them, if you expect a Jeep to be a car it will probably be a disappointment, they don't make the best hi-way cars. Rio7

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My daughter went to buy a new vehicle in 2015. She asked me which one to buy, 4Runner or Jeep? I told her to stay away from the Jeep at all cost. Fast forward to today. Her daily driver is a 2020 4Runner. The 2015 Jeep is basically a driveway ornament. She simply drives the Toyota and wishes she had the money to fix, yet again, the Jeep.

She moved to Morgan, UT where the Jeep is a toy for short trips into the mountains, but that's all. Dependable and Jeep are never spoken in the same sentence.

She asked me last week what I would do to fix the Jeep. I told her I would pull the junky motor out and replace it with either a 4.8 LS or old school 350 with fuel injection.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you think Jeeps and BMW are bad try Volvo ,just went for a state inspection only 45k miles on her need to replace a broken coil spring,timing belt+ tension pulley,bushings and brakes all four $5200.00

I see people buy new Volvos left and right, sounds like the Dealer charged you at least double if not more for that work. Hopefully you disposed of it ASAP.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Poobah,

It's a thing Back East

Jesus...add this to the list of why you are NOT living in a free country.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find it odd a state inspection would cover timing belt and that it needs changing at 45k.

State inspection is usually safety items and/or emissions.

How do you break a coil spring in 45k on a passenger car as well? That's not a common repair much less within 45k miles.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal
I find it odd a state inspection would cover timing belt and that it needs changing at 45k.

State inspection is usually safety items and/or emissions.

How do you break a coil spring in 45k on a passenger car as well? That's not a common repair much less within 45k miles.

I would have thought so too, most likely a timing issue which threw the emissions tester the nazis use to hell. Coil spring maybe they used biodegradable coil springs to save the environment.

It was nice to live in Florida with no state inspection.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

My Mom gave me the car after the state took my 90 yo fathers license away.It is ten years old but only 45k on the odometer.I took it for the state inspection and never thought it would fail breaks felt great ,apparently Volvo requires the belt be changed at 10 yo..me and my buddies put her in the garage ,the brakes and disk have surface rust from sitting but plenty of meat,the bushings seem ok .I have to research the timing belt but what a mother to get to.
So in Maine you have to pass a state inspection every year,NEVER go to a dealership for this EVER...
PS we can't find the broken coil spring,I'm going to pay an hours Labor to the dealership to show me where the break is😡

Last edited by garddogg56; 12/30/23.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.