Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking at a first focal plane hunting scope that can be dialed in MRADs and has a Mil type reticle useful for hunting. Some of the mil type reticles are too thin and busy for me to use on an hunting rig (thinking some of the Nightforce NX models here). Illumination is not required if I have good enough optics to make it to end of legal shooting light. I’ve used a couple of the Bushnell LRHS 3-12 models in the past and liked them. Still have them on other guns.

Currently looking at the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 at GA Precision, the Nightforce SHV 4-14 first focal plane and then Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18.

All models are first focal plane with exposed mil adjustments and mil reticles. This is the configuration I’d like. Anybody have much experience with these scopes (optical clarity, precise/accurate adjustments, dependability). Happy to entertain others if they meet the requirements above.

Thanks for the opinions

Last edited by herschel34; 12/29/23.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by herschel34
Looking at a first focal plane hunting scope that can be dialed in MRADs and has a Mil type reticle useful for hunting. Some of the mil type reticles are too thin and busy for me to use on an hunting rig (thinking some of the Nightforce NX models here). Illumination is not required if I have good enough optics to make it to end of legal shooting light. I’ve used a couple of the Bushnell LRHS 3-12 models in the past and liked them. Still have them on other guns.

Currently looking at the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 at GA Precision, the Nightforce SHV 4-14 first focal plane and then Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18.

All models are first focal plane with exposed mil adjustments and mil reticles. This is the configuration I’d like. Anybody have much experience with these scopes (optical clarity, precise/accurate adjustments, dependability). Happy to entertain others if they meet the requirements above.

Thanks for the opinions

I’ve had the SHV F1 and a few LRHS, LRHSi and LRTSi. I currently have the LRHS2 that GAP sells and really like it. The glass is a noticeable step up from the previous gen and the reticle is a pretty good design that is useful for both long range and low light close range. I’m not really a fan of the donut, but it doesn’t hurt anything and does help in low light low mag scenarios. Mine tracks perfectly and has held zero reliably. I guess the only thing I don’t like about it is its length. By today’s standards, it’s a long scope.

The SHV F1 reticle leaves much to be desired for hunting. Otherwise, it’s a solid scope.

If I were to get another hunting scope, I’d be looking at the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x44. From what I’m reading, it seems to check all the boxes.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-rs1-2-2-5-15x44mm-field-eval.338756/

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 12/29/23.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have LRHS2 4.5-18 and LRHS 3-12. None of them are going anywhere. Really like the reticles. Great for hunting and precision work.

Not Tenmile but also have Trijicon Credo HX 1-6s. SFP and MOA with capped turrets, but dial accurately and return to zero. Great glass. I'd not hesitate on the Tenmile FFP MIL/MIL. If I couldn't find a used LRHS 3-12. Never handled a Tenmile, but the ocular on the Credo HX 1-6 is big, as in diameter. Bigger than the LRHS. The Credo 1-4 as well. Don't know if that's a feature of the true 1X or also applies to the Tenmile but they look the same. Might keep that in mind.

For the money I'd go LRHS2 and spend the difference on ammo or components. But I like the reticle better and, on a bolt gun, the slimmer ocular.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
John

Which reticle did you have on the SHV? It looks like there is a Mil-R and a Mil-XT. The XT does not look good for hunting. Very busy with thin cross hairs.

The Maven is listed at 14.1” long and the LRHS2 is 14.4”. Doesn’t look much different on the specs but does the LRHS2 actually measure longer?

Thank you!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John

Which reticle did you have on the SHV? It looks like there is a Mil-R and a Mil-XT. The XT does not look good for hunting. Very busy with thin cross hairs.

The Maven is listed at 14.1” long and the LRHS2 is 14.4”. Doesn’t look much different on the specs but does the LRHS2 actually measure longer?

Thank you!

I had the MIL-R and found it wanting for hunting. Didn’t realize the Maven was that long but it wouldn’t stop me from trying one. Hard to know without looking through it, but from what I see, the maven may have the best hunting reticle on a FFP long range hunting scope available.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd echo what Hondo says above.

I own multiple LRHS and LRTS in both 3-12 and 4.5-18. I've found them to be great scopes that work as they should and have proven to be very tough. Likewise with the SHV's I own. I'd give the edge to the Bushies for hunting due to better hunting reticles, but some very much like the NF F1 Mil-R for hunting. I will say that the NF reticles have a tendency to look a bit too fine indoors, but it's been my experience that they'll still stand out better than one might think on various game animals in various backgrounds.

I wanted to like the Trijicon referenced more than I do, but the reticle is too fine for me below 6X or so. Sure, this can be overcome by illumination, but I still prefer reticles that are plenty usable without being lit.

I can't yet comment too far on the Maven RS 1.2, as the one I ordered is still in transit. The reticle looks very promising.

It's going to come down to which reticle will best suit your needs/wants. The scopes listed so far are all very good, very solid scopes that, AFAIK, are built by LOW. Good luck. Post up what you buy and what you think of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Buying an LRHS or LRTS or DMRii is never a bad plan.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I tend to agree. I really like the two LRHS 3-12s I have. They aren’t going anywhere. I only wish they made them in the same power range. Not sure I would like the 4.5-18 as much. Might be worth a try…

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Curious to hear the reviews on the Maven scope. I’ve heard very little about them as a company. The RS1.2 seems to check most of the boxes. It’s certainly a possibility.

Does anyone know if Nightforce scopes are all made by LOW in Japan? If these scopes are coming from the same place, that speaks favorably in regards to their dependability. Hopefully they are all using good components as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1. There are better scopes out there for the $. The eye box on that model is critical. I don't recommend this scope.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hmmmmm, this isn’t the first time I’ve heard about the eyebox being critical on the Nightforce. What other scopes would you recommend?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If weight isn't an issue, I'd recommend looking at Tract. Meopta has some great glass for less money than the big boys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious to hear the reviews on the Maven scope. I’ve heard very little about them as a company. The RS1.2 seems to check most of the boxes. It’s certainly a possibility.

Does anyone know if Nightforce scopes are all made by LOW in Japan? If these scopes are coming from the same place, that speaks favorably in regards to their dependability. Hopefully they are all using good components as well.

Ford made Lincoln Towncars and Ford Fiestas. Just because a scope is made in the same factory as another, it doesn't mean durability is the same.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmmmmm, this isn’t the first time I’ve heard about the eyebox being critical on the Nightforce. What other scopes would you recommend?

I haven't noticed it being an issue for me on at least 6 of the NF's. I didn't do SXS comparisons with other scopes, so can't say how big the difference is. Depending on use, a tighter eye box isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's always optical trade offs.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Thanks for the opinions

I’ve had the SHV F1 and a few LRHS, LRHSi and LRTSi. I currently have the LRHS2 that GAP sells and really like it. The glass is a noticeable step up from the previous gen and the reticle is a pretty good design that is useful for both long range and low light close range. I’m not really a fan of the donut, but it doesn’t hurt anything and does help in low light low mag scenarios. Mine tracks perfectly and has held zero reliably. I guess the only thing I don’t like about it is its length. By today’s standards, it’s a long scope.

The SHV F1 reticle leaves much to be desired for hunting. Otherwise, it’s a solid scope.

If I were to get another hunting scope, I’d be looking at the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x44. From what I’m reading, it seems to check all the boxes.

John

John,

Where would the tract toric line up in this discussion?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Thanks for the opinions

John

John,

I did a thorough review on Tract’s 30mm 2.5-15 Hunting Scope a couple of years back. It was a good, solid scope with excellent glass. It tracked correctly and maintained zero throughout drop testing. Mine was as good as any of the scopes in this discussion. The only thing I didn’t really care for was the reticle design and I addressed that in the review. That being said, it is useable, even in low light. I killed a pig with at well past SS+30 at about 100 yards. It’s a good scope and I wouldn’t hesitate to use another.

John

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ic-uhd-hunting-scope-review#Post17363385

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by drop_point

Ford made Lincoln Towncars and Ford Fiestas. Just because a scope is made in the same factory as another, it doesn't mean durability is the same.

A bit off base, Lincoln Town cars are made in America, the Fiesta is made in Mexico....not close to being made in the same factory

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks for the opinions

John

John,

I did a thorough review on Tract’s 30mm 2.5-15 Hunting Scope a couple of years back. It was a good, solid scope with excellent glass. It tracked correctly and maintained zero throughout drop testing. Mine was as good as any of the scopes in this discussion. The only thing I didn’t really care for was the reticle design and I addressed that in the review. That being said, it is useable, even in low light. I killed a pig with at well past SS+30 at about 100 yards. It’s a good scope and I wouldn’t hesitate to use another.

John

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ic-uhd-hunting-scope-review#Post17363385

Slightly different scope but I have the Tract 30mm 4x20.......fantastic, would take it again over any other scope mentioned in this thread

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some of the tract stuff looks a lot like the old weaver superslams.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point

It's hard to understand how someone so stupid figured out how to post on the internet yet here are you.

LOW makes lots of scopes for lots of companies, including but not limited to NightForce, Tract, Bushnell, Huskemaw, Vortex, Revic, SWFA, Trijicon and Maven. Only Maven is direct sales to the shooter/hunter, cutting out the distributor/dealer profit margins.

It's easy to see why Maven offers more bang per buck with that buisness model.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/02/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.