Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So,

As per my last thread, I've been deciding on a stock for my M70 build.
Have received confirmation from Brown precision that they can ship a stock to Australia - great news.
Frustratingly, I've just sent another email to Bansner asking if postage is possible after waiting over two weeks since my first email.

How do the stocks compare? I was hoping to obtain the Bansner Miller as I love a cheekpiece, but at this rate think the Brown stock will be the winner. Also, is this sort of delay in response normal this time of year due to holiday closures, or no?

Photos appreciated as always to help me decide. Thank you!

You only live once.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What is the price difference these days? I'm sure Brown is pretty expensive, while the Bansner has always been much less in price. Been hearing some good things about the Bansner miller stocks though. It does seem strange that they are not returning your emails. That would be concerning to me. I can only tell you my experience, having had a couple Brown Precision PoundR rifle stocks (still have them), and having a Bansner. I did not like the Bansner at all. It was lightweight and stiff, but it was more of a pain fitting to my rifle action, than any Brown was. It also did not balance well. Just did not like the feel of it. It was light, but felt clubby and fat. There was no comparison. Love the Brown PoundR stocks. Hopefully the new Bansners are better than the old ones.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the input BSA.
The brown is about $150 USD more before shipping, so about $220 Australian.

Edited to add that price is with graphite added, however not a poundR which would be an extra $359 as per the price list on the website.

Last edited by Below_par; 01/03/24.

You only live once.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have emailed bansner multiple times and never gotten a response. I think you need to phone the shop.

Last edited by bigJ; 01/03/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was debating between Bansner and McMillan but when I compared prices on drop in ready they were pretty much the same so I went with McMillan and had it done in a month. Got Hunters Edge I believe 23 oz, beautiful and great handling stock.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have had a Bansner stock and loved it, left handed, different strokes for different folks I suppose, (but I would never debate BSA as I enjoy his input on all subjects) That was a long while ago, before High Tech Stocks. A close friend loved it and we worked out a deal, it’s still his go-to.
Having said all that I will talk w Mark Bansner at the Dallas Safari Club Convention next weekend and mention their slow/lack of email responses, diplomatically of course

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crockett305
I have had a Bansner stock and loved it, left handed, different strokes for different folks I suppose, (but I would never debate BSA as I enjoy his input on all subjects) That was a long while ago, before High Tech Stocks. A close friend loved it and we worked out a deal, it’s still his go-to.
Having said all that I will talk w Mark Bansner at the Dallas Safari Club Convention next weekend and mention their slow/lack of email responses, diplomatically of course

No debate here Crockett. I'm just relaying my experience with the older Bansner stocks. Some guys love them. Guys like Brad here. A lot depends on your face structure, and body type when it comes to stock fit.

I like the looks of the new ones. I just hope they fit the actions better. The sad thing is, these days, we are limited in our choices. Mcmillan doesn't want to fully inlet some stocks anymore, so that may leave us to buying used, or trying out new companies stocks. I love my used Brown Precision PoundR stocks, but I would not pay new prices for one. I hope more guys buy the Bansner Miller stocks and report how they are. I'm sure tests will prove positive on these ones.

If you end up talking to Mark, please let us know how that goes.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Below_par
So,

As per my last thread, I've been deciding on a stock for my M70 build.
Have received confirmation from Brown precision that they can ship a stock to Australia - great news.
Frustratingly, I've just sent another email to Bansner asking if postage is possible after waiting over two weeks since my first email.

How do the stocks compare? I was hoping to obtain the Bansner Miller as I love a cheekpiece, but at this rate think the Brown stock will be the winner. Also, is this sort of delay in response normal this time of year due to holiday closures, or no?

Photos appreciated as always to help me decide. Thank you!

Well, since no one else is posting a photo, here are my twin pre 64 model 70's in Brown PoundR stocks:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

338wm on top, and the 300WBY on the bottom. Both rifles weigh in at 8 pounds on the nose, as shown in the pic. Both also hold 4 in the mag box, due to the rifles being built on H&H receivers. These rifles balance very well, feel great in the hand, when out in the field, and also mitigate recoil very well.

Hopefully someone will also post pics of their model 70's in the new Bansner Miller stock. Those are actually nice looking stocks, from what I've seen of them. Wondering if guys like AKWolverine here, has one they can post a pic of??

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
BSA, (and of course anyone else’s) what are your thoughts on HS Precision replacement stocks?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My opinion and it's not condemning of them, but they feel clubby to me, but I have large hands and don't like the way the pistol grip feels. They are of good quality as far as the ones I have used and shot.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A few good stockmakers out there, but I much prefer the Brown. Communication and service is great and I don't think you can beat their quality. The extra $150 will be forgotten soon.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
What stock makers are drop in ready vs inletting required?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had Brown, Bansner and McMillan. At the end of the day they are pretty close. McMillan costs more but are generally drop in and bolt on ready to go. The others will need some final fitting and finishing. If you're skilled enough to do the work you can save some money. If you pay a gunsmith to fit the stock, you don't save much if anything over McMillan.

Also, the weights listed for Bansner do not include a recoil pad. Maybe not on Brown, it been a long time and I don't remember. By the time you add a recoil pad the finished weight will be 4-6 ounces more than listed. McMillan's listed weights include a pad.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Figure 22 to 24 ounces for pounder; 26 to 28 ounces for a non-pounder (with pads). Bansner Miller will be 24 to 26 ounces with pad. Classic and sheephunter slightly less. Less for everything if you go with a flip-flop or a Cervelatti.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So,
Mark has replied to my emails, was apologetic due to the delay (due to holiday period) and has been very helpful and professional, no complaints from me.

BSA, that's for the photo, couple of nice looking rifles. How do they balance given that the stocks are so light, and they are "full sized" rifles as such?

Thanks all

You only live once.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
myself,bansners are my only stock i use for rem clones,miller style my favorite,own several.my winchesters sit in echols stocks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So,
Mark has replied to my emails, was apologetic due to the delay (due to holiday period) and has been very helpful and professional, no complaints from me.

BSA, that's for the photo, couple of nice looking rifles. How do they balance given that the stocks are so light, and they are "full sized" rifles as such?

Thanks all

Figured it was something to do with holidays. Everybody needs a break I guess.

I know from a few folks that shoot his Miller pattern is pretty darned good. I have a couple I’d like to get ordered.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crockett305
BSA, (and of course anyone else’s) what are your thoughts on HS Precision replacement stocks?
I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade from my last B and C (which has been great if truth be told).
The HS felt more substantial and was a little heavier. The recoil, however, was much harsher with the HS and the standard recoil pad is just awful. When I phoned the guys at Redhawk to place my order they called it a Magnum pad and the guy next to him joked that it was because it made every rifle feel like a magnum. the Pad is glued on and not easy to remove but you could pay an upcharge for a Pachmyer when ordering. Overall I am happier with the B and C that came with a Pachmyer. It made a noticeable improvement in recoil over the factory synthetic and solved the consistency issue of the rifle.

I sold the HS and went back to walnut on that rifle and am happier.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Figure 22 to 24 ounces for pounder; 26 to 28 ounces for a non-pounder (with pads). Bansner Miller will be 24 to 26 ounces with pad. Classic and sheephunter slightly less. Less for everything if you go with a flip-flop or a Cervelatti.

Don't you have a new Bansner? I thought you posted pics of a rough one about 8 months ago. Still waiting to see the finished product. That would be great info in a thread like this.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So,

Thanks all

Both rifles balance exceptionally well, and carry great in the field. I have no complaints with them.

I still hunt, and have rifle in hand 99% of the time when I'm elk hunting. If they did not balance well, I generally get rid of them. Such is what I did with the Bansner I had on a similar style model 70:

I sure hope the new ones are better than the old.

As for the HS Precision stocks, I only have one, but it's not on a "hunting" rifle. It's a heavy barreled rifle that feels great shooting from the bench and off of a bi-pod. I actually really like that stock, as it's very comfortable, but like i say, it's not a hunting rifle stock:

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.