Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by jimmyp
thank you, it really would be a pain in the neck to remove and attach a scope in the dark. That said any comments on how repeatable the AGM QD mount reattachment is??

AGM uses ADM mounts.

High quality mounts and repeatable.

Originally Posted by shoots100
thank you, it really would be a pain in the neck to remove and attach a scope in the dark. That said any comments on how repeatable the AGM QD mount reattachment is??
If your taking it off and putting it back on the same rail, it's golden.
If not, it's a crap shoot.
That's why I switched to using BoBro QD mounts.

SJC

If you are switching to a different rail/rifle I would use another zero profile if using a thermal scope.

The ADM mounts that come with AGM thermals are good.

If you are talking clip on there is a lot more going on switching rifles and clip ons need the software to store multiple zero profiles.

You can record the shift for each rifle but clip ons should have a simple way to switch profiles like a thermal scopes.
ADM mounts are great if your taking it off and on the same rail, but if you need to loosen or tighten the locking lever pressure to fit on a different rail, their not so good at keeping POI.
Don't need to worry about that with BoBro mounts.
I've been down the clip on rabbit hole two times and never again, even if I won the lottery and could afford a real clip on that could hold zero.

SJC

Last edited by shoots100; 01/07/24.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ADM mounts are great if your taking it off and on the same rail, but if you need to loosen or tighten the locking lever pressure to fit on a different rail, their not so good at keeping POI.
I've been down the clip on rabbit hole two times and never again, even if I won the lottery and could afford a real clip on that could hold zero.

SJC

If we are talking thermal scopes then there will be a different zero profile for the different rail/rifle. So many more varibles than just the rail. One of my AGM Rattlers has zero profiles for a 22 Long Rifle AR, a 5.56mm AR, and a 6.5mm Creedmoor AR. The ADM mount locks up on all without adjustment but obviously there is a bit of difference in the zero profiles.

I don't think BoBro even makes mounts for the AGM Rattler in either scope mode or clip on mode which was the question to which I responded.

I find the ADMs to fit many of my rails without adjustment but again each rifle will need it's own zero profile, regardless. I would suggest checking how the ADM mount fits ones rails before spending money just to spend money on a mount that does not exist.

I have good luck with a couple of clip ons but it takes a bit of setup to get it right. The newish StingIR when used with a proper mount is pretty solid.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[quote=JohnBurns][quote=jimmyp]

SJC

I don't see how adjusting the lever tension would make any difference whatsoever. The fixed side of the mount is always in the same position. The lever just changes the clamping force of the floating wedge. You might get a difference between "barely tight to hurculean tight" just by allowing movement or stressing metal. But I don't think any variation of "reasonably snug" would make any appreciable difference in the POI for the ranges you shoot with a thermal.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by gsganzer

SJC

I don't see how adjusting the lever tension would make any difference whatsoever. The fixed side of the mount is always in the same position. The lever just changes the clamping force of the floating wedge. You might get a difference between "barely tight to hurculean tight" just by allowing movement or stressing metal. But I don't think any variation of "reasonably snug" would make any appreciable difference in the POI for the ranges you shoot with a thermal.
You might not see it, but changing locking lever tension when mounting changes POI.
I've tested every QD mount out there and the most repeatable mount when being used on different rails has been BoBro.
I can take my backup scope and switch it from a centerfire to a PCP air rifle and not worry about POI shift after changing to the correct profile in the scope.
With the ADM mount I need to back the locking clamp nut out 1/4 turn or I can't get it to clamp on and it never has had repeatable POI.
When your just taking it off and putting it back on the same rail there's no issues with the other brand QD mounts.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

SJC

You might not see it, but changing locking lever tension when mounting changes POI.
I've tested every QD mount out there and the most repeatable mount when being used on different rails has been BoBro.
I can take my backup scope and switch it from a centerfire to a PCP air rifle and not worry about POI shift after changing to the correct profile in the scope.
With the ADM mount I need to back the locking clamp nut out 1/4 turn or I can't get it to clamp on and it never has had repeatable POI.
When your just taking it off and putting it back on the same rail there's no issues with the other brand QD mounts.

SJC

I have both a Pulsar Trail XQ50 (with their QD mount) and then a Pulsar Thermion in an ADM QD mount and both regularly swap between different rifles with programmed profiles. All of them return to the proper POI each and every time. Maybe not to the 1/2 MOA, but certainly accurate enough for 200 yds shots with a thermal. On all of the QD levers, I follow the "lever makes engagement at 45 degrees" and snugs on the remainder of the stroke tightening philosophy. So maybe I'm more consistent with the tightening force then most.

I'm not familiar with a BoBro mount, but I assume it must have some type of spring tension that makes it more consistent on clamping pressure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

SJC

I have both a Pulsar Trail XQ50 (with their QD mount) and then a Pulsar Thermion in an ADM QD mount and both regularly swap between different rifles with programmed profiles. All of them return to the proper POI each and every time. Maybe not to the 1/2 MOA, but certainly accurate enough for 200 yds shots with a thermal. On all of the QD levers, I follow the "lever makes engagement at 45 degrees" and snugs on the remainder of the stroke tightening philosophy. So maybe I'm more consistent with the tightening force then most.

I'm not familiar with a BoBro mount, but I assume it must have some type of spring tension that makes it more consistent on clamping pressure.

Like you I just have different zero profiles in the thermal scope. That covers all the bases when swapping rifle as many things more important than the rail effect the zero.

And again, BoBro does not make a mount for the AGM Rattler, which was the thermal in question. The ADM mount the Rattlers come with has proven to be reliable and high quality.

I can swap the Rattler with the ADM across the three diffferent rifles that I have profiles set in the thermal without issues.

If one has a rail that is a bit out of spec it's probably cheaper to swap the rail than buy a new mount.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
None of the clipons I’ve used have used their own reticle or maybe even had a reticle. They used the dayscope reticle and being in /adjusting for focus to eliminate parallax was the only caveat. I also used a flipper Wilcox shoe mount, which is in no way designed to hold any zero for a sight…. just hold it centered for viewing. I personally haven’t had issues with Larue mounts and RTZ (in addition to Bobro), and even ADMs have been close for me….though I know of plenty of folks posting about issues on the internet. Not sure on Geissele….but I don’t know of thermal use of anything but ADM, Larue, and Bobro. They’re all better than most factory mounts. I am careful about process and placement when swapping them around on guns.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/08/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys who swap out optics trust that the optic is absolutely returning to zero each time you swap it around?

I have very good mounts on my thermals, and have seen shifts in zero at times.

I always verify zero when I take an optic off and put it back on. I also mark and know the rail slot it was sitting in, but still noticed a POI shift. Not every time, but enough to make me verify zero each time.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The assumption (AFAIK) with mentioning ‘RTZ’ is that the zero was verified to return to begin with….otherwise, it’s just a quick release.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/09/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You guys who swap out optics trust that the optic is absolutely returning to zero each time you swap it around?

I have very good mounts on my thermals, and have seen shifts in zero at times.

I always verify zero when I take an optic off and put it back on. I also mark and know the rail slot it was sitting in, but still noticed a POI shift. Not every time, but enough to make me verify zero each time.

Yes I expect the Thermal to return to zero each time I mount it.

It takes attention to detail but I swap back and forth with a day optic and thermal without issue on multiple platforms.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

SJC

SJC

You have actual real world hunting experience. Others on here don’t. I use an American defense QD mounts. Work great for thermal. When I travel and fly I just take off and carry on my person

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
anyone use a thermal clip on? take it off use as a spotter, put it on use on a scope to shoot?

I have an AGM TC35-384 which I leave on my rife that is setup on a tripod. I scan by bluetoothing my phone into it and watching my phone as I move the rifle around. Its allot easier on my eyes than looking through the scope or a handheld scanner for long periods of time.

2 Kings 2:23-24
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BubbaG
anyone use a thermal clip on? take it off use as a spotter, put it on use on a scope to shoot?

I have an AGM TC35-384 which I leave on my rife that is setup on a tripod. I scan by bluetoothing my phone into it and watching my phone as I move the rifle around. Its allot easier on my eyes than looking through the scope or a handheld scanner for long periods of time.

Or... you could buy a Pulsar that has a "detect feature". I can prop my rifle /scope in the blind to look at the feeder and pair it to my phone. I can then put the scope on sleep mode to save battery. My phone then gets configured for "detect" and will ding/vibrate if motion is detected in the scopes field of view. You can also configure the scope to begin recording 30 seconds after "detect", so when your sorry ass wakes up and shoots the hogs, it's all recorded on video. Simple made simpler.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.