Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Its so simple a monkey can do it. that said you have to have parts that fit correctly
I would be one said monkeys...this holidays I decided to turn my box of spare parts into an upper. Got a White Oak barrel with headspaced bolt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Prior to this I've been shooting the White Oak Precision offerings. But I'd say this White Oak Armament Wilson barrel shoots pretty good too.

I'm thinking of replacing the 4x scope with more magnification to see how it can really group.

Just use irons.
Shot in the rain with my Noveske, using irons.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP wants to keep his A2 in the same "configuration". Yet a lot of you guys suggesting something totally different. Who here has experience with Windham barrels or uppers? You don't hear a lot about these guys anymore. Plus they are shutting down. Then we go to his next choices. I believe he gave those choices because they offer the same configuration he's interested in. The OP may have to clarify.
irons will NEVER tell you what the best your gun can do will be. NEVER. But they can be close. so many less variables when shooting or testing with optics. We shot irons for a long time. We NEVER went to a match with a new gun and load unless it had been scope tested.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Its so simple a monkey can do it. that said you have to have parts that fit correctly
I would be one said monkeys...this holidays I decided to turn my box of spare parts into an upper. Got a White Oak barrel with headspaced bolt.

Prior to this I've been shooting the White Oak Precision offerings. But I'd say this White Oak Armament Wilson barrel shoots pretty good too.

I'm thinking of replacing the 4x scope with more magnification to see how it can really group.

Just use irons.
Shot in the rain with my Noveske, using irons.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP wants to keep his A2 in the same "configuration". Yet a lot of you guys suggesting something totally different. Who here has experience with Windham barrels or uppers? You don't hear a lot about these guys anymore. Plus they are shutting down. Then we go to his next choices. I believe he gave those choices because they offer the same configuration he's interested in. The OP may have to clarify.

I shot the M-16 A2 configuration back in the day. I still like the looks, balance, etc. That’s all there is to my wanting to keep this rifle in that configuration. Just a cool reminder of what I shot back then.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It doesn't hurt that White Oak has some of the best actual service rifle shooters in the nation attached to it. Like National Champion shooters. Not just players...

They know the rifle platform very well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
I’m gonna dump my knights, LMt’s, BCM, geissele and centurion uppers for BCA..

They just as guuud.

I got 2 PSA chrome lined uppers left.. the 18” is pretty much a burn down rifle at this point. Nephews fed it a steady diet of rusky steel case during the trump years.

The others still ticking

I don't see anyone saying bcA is as good as the best. But moA satisfies most peoples needs. I certainly would not try to win Perry with a BCA. that said we have a fair amount of bca uppers so far and know of appx 10 others. not a one, other than the 22lr upper they replaced for me no issue, have had problems or shoot worse than 1.5 moa. all of ours shoot MOA or just a bit better but we reload so there is that part.
That was the first positive comment I’ve read about Bear Creek. I asked about them last year and got some interesting replies from folks.

Godogs57, I'm probably reading your OP wrong, but you want the same configuration as your A2, correct??? As far as the upper is concerned? I'll try not to badmouth BCA, as I have no experience with them. Rost has had some good luck with them, while a lot of others say they are garbage. Maybe they got burned a few times, I don't know. I know they are cheap, but if they work well, why not?? I'm still not exactly clear on what you are wanting though. Also, how much is the upper from Windham? I saw one the other day for $650.00, but it was for the whole dang rifle:
That one is an A2 A3, with removable carry handle. Is that what you are looking at? Rost hits on some good points about being able to use a scope, and with this one, you can do that easily, yet still maintain the look of the A2.

My experience with Windham and their barrels is very good. I have 3 of their 20" Varmint exterminator barrels, and they are tack drivers. They come with a matched bolt, so that is good. Also, good news that Windham is not shutting down, as we thought. They emailed me 2 days ago, saying they were not shutting down, but are under new management now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Consider Rock River Arms (RRA).

Pick a cartridge and barrel length. If you want accuracy, here's their LAR-15m national match A4 upper in 223 Rem (1-8" twist). Has a free float tube. (Detachable carry handle /sight available as option, or they have an A2 national match configuration)

A4 NM upper
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=254

A2 NM upper
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=156

Their "standard" A4 flat top receiver upper has a 1-9" chrome moly hBAR 20" barrel, but no free float tube. Supposed to give 1 moa accuracy without float tube. Carry handle/sight is extra. You can install their free float tube with upgraded fore arm for ~$140 down the road if desired.
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=154

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a 16" stainless Ballistic Advantage I really like. If I build another AR15 I'm getting the 18" version of this one.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...dlength-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html

This 18" barrel

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...-length-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'd just go to PSA and get a nice midlength free floated upper with the barrel length of your liking. It will do all you need it to do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lc11
Save your money for scoping up, ammo, etc., try a BCA Complete Upper, you WON'T be disappointed. BearCreek's a wholesaler, half the uppers out there, are mfgd by BCA. I have 2 Complete Uppers, in calibers that were supposed to give AR guys fits, .22lr and 7.62x39, nothing but 100% function out of the box, with bulk/cheap ammo. I'm about to purchase a third Upper from them, I don't even shop anywhere else, accuracy is equal/better than most Complete Uppers in the price range you're looking.

I think you've been dipping into the kool aid.

Any AR maker worth their salt would run away from bca stuff due to poorly made and even worse QC because they would be ruining their reputation they've built by using [bleep] parts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johna1
Originally Posted by lc11
Save your money for scoping up, ammo, etc., try a BCA Complete Upper, you WON'T be disappointed. BearCreek's a wholesaler, half the uppers out there, are mfgd by BCA. I have 2 Complete Uppers, in calibers that were supposed to give AR guys fits, .22lr and 7.62x39, nothing but 100% function out of the box, with bulk/cheap ammo. I'm about to purchase a third Upper from them, I don't even shop anywhere else, accuracy is equal/better than most Complete Uppers in the price range you're looking.

I think you've been dipping into the kool aid.

Any AR maker worth their salt would run away from bca stuff due to poorly made and even worse QC because they would be ruining their reputation they've built by using [bleep] parts.
I"m still waiting to see all these [bleep] parts, non working, (yeah the first 22lr didn't but they sent another asap thats never missed a beat) and inaccurate stuff... at the moment we buy 2-3 uppers a year from them on average for us. And I test another 2 or so a year for others. While I wouldn't likely want to shoot long range competition with them as there I demand a lot of accuracy, why spend more when you dont' have to and most folks desires and abilities do well enough with BCA

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a BCA upper I bought 5 years ago this month from them. I put it on the first lower I ever built which was a PSA lower. I’ve never had an issue with it. I’m not going to say it will shoot MOA either though. I bought this rifle mainly to plink with and that’s what I do with it. I have a load using Win 748 and 55gr Hornady FMJ’s that will hold 1.5 MOA no problem.

Now my son bought a 7.62x39 pistol upper from PSA, that after the first few shots the screws holding the handguard on fell off. He called BCA they told him it was a known issue and sent him some up graded screws they said they use on their larger stuff. He put them in and not another issue and that was almost 4 years ago. Neither he or I have bought another BCA item, but I am not going to some fun of anyone that does either.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enough already, ya'll convinced me; I'm gonna sell my KAC's & all my custom builds with top shelf barrels & replace them all with BCA's.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
But not in your lifetime or mine.............but I'm really glad all ya'll are happy with your BCA.

And no, not half the uppers sold are made by BCA, as no reputable company would ruin their name by doing that.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've replaced barrels by Ballistic Advantage one Hanson and one Classic and both shoot very well.
Why not try a new barrel or barrel & bolt?
Buying a cheap upper isn't anything but a crap shoot.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so who makes an accurate 18 inch pencil profile barrel? I am thinking of unscrewing a noveske 18 inch ss barrel and putting on a more accurate nitrided barrel.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Compass Lake Eng is no longer taking orders for uppers. I talked to Theresa on Monday to see if my order placed the first of December would be honored. She said since I stipulated a Bartlein barrel they could not honor my order since Bartlein will no longer warranty their barrels CLE no longer uses them. I changed my order to a Kreiger barrel and Theresa expects to ship the upper by the end of January. But they are not taking new orders. I was told there is a notice on Facebook to this effect. Too bad these were great people to work with and they provided a outstanding product.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
so who makes an accurate 18 inch pencil profile barrel? I am thinking of unscrewing a noveske 18 inch ss barrel and putting on a more accurate nitrided barrel.
While not a pencil barrel, I have been quite pleased with my Criterion CORE 18” barrel with rifle gas. It’s chrome lined and has a different tapered profile than most coming down to a .625 gas block. It shoots very smooth and is plenty accurate for my uses.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Enough already, ya'll convinced me; I'm gonna sell my KAC's & all my custom builds with top shelf barrels & replace them all with BCA's.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
But not in your lifetime or mine.............but I'm really glad all ya'll are happy with your BCA.

And no, not half the uppers sold are made by BCA, as no reputable company would ruin their name by doing that.

MM

Well schidt, now I know I should have told my girlfriend to buy a BCA!!!!!! They just seem like the new BCM. Maybe even better?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never too late...............go for it.

She love you long time.

LOL

MM

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by jimmyp
While not a pencil barrel, I have been quite pleased with my Criterion CORE 18” barrel with rifle gas. It’s chrome lined and has a different tapered profile than most coming down to a .625 gas block. It shoots very smooth and is plenty accurate for my uses.

I’ve had it in the cart a few times at porters.. they haven’t been in stock in ages.

Would you say it feel similar in hand to say a 16” government profile barrel?? I like how 18” barrels with 14-15” handguards feel. Bipod in front of support hand doesn’t protrude muzzle device. With a 13” I’m smashing my bipod, or my bipods out in front of MD.

Any 10 shot groups with it? I got a pile of 10shot or 1.5moa chrome lined spouts. And a good few SS ones that do better

I don’t have any slim profile 18” barrels on hand to compare.. but an 18” rifle length barrel is usually a good handling/smooth shooting setup.

Build out would be BCM upper
Urx4 14.5” hand guard
Microbest chrome BCG
BCM gas block. Random gas tube

Optics is probably the hardest puzzle piece. Thinking ta110 acog with piggyback rmr. Maybe a 1.7badger comm, rzr hd 1-6.. offset rmr.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I actually have a 16” govt profile barrel and both with the same 15” MI rails. They do feel comparable.

I set the 18” gun up with a fixed 10x super chicken.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It shot okay with 77 grain SMK’s
Then I put a 1-4 Trijicon Accupower on it and shot it at 200 yards.
Then decided it was gonna be my night hunting gun. Put a Wraith mini 4K on it along with a battery pack and IR illuminator.
Been waiting on deer season to close and finding the time to go.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m probably gonna order another one and replace the govt profile 16” and use the 1-4 Trijicon for a day gun.

I did shoot this group at 100 but I believe I shot one round to the left, adjusted the scope too far and shot 2 more to the right, adjusted again and shot the remaining 6 or 7 rounds.

Last edited by TWR; 01/10/24.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.