F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Cecil56
I like this guys use for a chainsaw in the early AM! LOL
https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-...saw-arrested-disorderly-conduct/46276309

Aw come on
He was just tryin to make a music video.

It will be titled when people Crack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just buy whatever the local crackhead is selling on Marketplace this week. Run it till it scatters and repeat. Then you'll know what you want when you're done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Ahhhh yessss. Another “chainsaw thread”, and the answer, as always, is, “$700 Stihl”. You need a $700 Stihl to take down trash juniper/cedar, followed closely by “$680 Husqvarna”, with honorable mention going to “really heavy $400 Echo 490”.

I’ll give the right answers, again.

1) Bicycle handled brush cutter
2) power pole saw
3) LIGHTWEIGHT limbing saw with lots of chains

Or

4) Name of a qualified Orthopedic surgeon who does knee surgeries AND rotator cuff repair (after you’ve gotten up/down for the 3000th time trying to cut down small trees with a 12-15lb saw that you’ve had to pull start each time).

Good times…

Originally Posted by Glynn
My cousin has 7 quarter sections that I bowhunt on. His son runs cows on 5 of them and is enrolled in a program to cut down all the western red cedar. He has a skid steer but the wife and I are going to help with the fence lines, plum thickets, cutbanks, etc. There are thousands of them from 16 inches tall to 16 inch trunks.

You likely need both a saw and a brush cutter. He's talking about clearing trees up to 16 inches in diameter over 300 acres. (assuming no clearing on the 1.25 sections they run cows on already)

You're not clearing 1/2 a section of cedar trees with diameters to 16 inches with a bicycle brush cutter. The Echo brush cutter is a 10 inch cut and costs 700 bucks itself.

So I need a 700 dollar echo brush cutter but not a 700 dollar chainsaw is "expensive"?

The right answer is actually a Ponsse but if a $700 Stihl is "expensive and unneeded" , adding 3 zeros to the price before the decimal probably don't work either.

Me

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hire a masticator

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
old still saws are a great and cheap to work on, easy also. I like my 029 but seemed heavy for what it supplied power wise. swapped in an 039 long bock and I love it. im in small hardwood timber and use it OCCASIONALLY. the echos have a cult following and my brother has one, don't remember the model but I do know it is a well revered in the echo community as we have discussed it often, that thing is a turd. I told him so, and handed him my saw. Showed him so. He feels the echo community is full of [bleep]. pro saws from stihl or husky are worth the money imo. weight, power, durability, engineering, is all better. I would not own a saw smaller than 64cc unless it was a top handle.

Last edited by Roddy1993; 01/04/24.

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Husqvarna MS362 double roller no raker ripper blade and a Sugarshack lightweight bar.

FTW!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cousin has 7 quarter sections that I bowhunt on. His son runs cows on 5 of them and is enrolled in a program to cut down all the western red cedar. He has a skid steer but the wife and I are going to help with the fence lines, plum thickets, cutbanks, etc. There are thousands of them from 16 inches tall to 16 inch trunks.

Pretty easy cutting and not in a race for time, (2 year program) just want to stay in good graces. Don't think I need a pro saw, used his 271 Farm Boss when I helped out the neighbor last year and think I could get by with less. When this is done it wont get used much till we get a place of our own so looking at homeowner level saws like the 211 or 250 to keep the price down. I know those are all Stihl, just what I'm familiar with. Not ever going to need it to cut firewood all day or even drop trees bigger than 16 inch diameter.

I work out of town 4 days a week and can't reply here till Friday but can read the threads. Open to all thoughts and suggestions, brands and advice. Certainly can't be worse than just googling reviews.

Thanks in advance

Something like a Stihl MS231 or Husqvarna E-series 440 is all you need. Even the older Husqvarna 340 or 345 were good saws for light work

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by tzone
Buy the pro saw. They make some that aren't 24" bars. Everything about them is better. Last year I got a Husky 562XP. It's more than I need but it will handle it all. My other saw is a Stihl 250 that will handle the tiny stuff.

I don’t understand the big deal with a longer bar.
Maybe it’s just background, I much prefer a 24” bar on a saw with the balls to run one.

They save your back, keep kickback away from your face, extra reach is never bad,”.

I don't either but he said he didn't want one. The longer bar is nice IMO.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Had an eager beaver in the early 80s. Piece of crap saw.
Had to yank on it about 50 times to get it going.
When my old man moved and his stuff went to storage. The movers stole it.

haha, good luck with that pos

Hahaha. That was the first saw I ever had. Got it when I was 15. It was good for clearing shooting lanes and trees for deer stands if you could ever get it started. It weighed about 1.5 pounds. lol I cut my had so many times on the stupid choke lever that I lost count. POS is right. I don't know what ever happened to it.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You kids need a good vintage chainsaw to learn on. Like a 1-10 MacCulloch (mu-cull-uh) with a manual oiler.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA

Pretty easy cutting and not in a race for time, (2 year program) just want to stay in good graces. Don't think I need a pro saw, used his 271 Farm Boss when I helped out the neighbor last year and think I could get by with less. When this is done it wont get used much till we get a place of our own so looking at homeowner level saws like the 211 or 250 to keep the price down. I know those are all Stihl, just what I'm familiar with. Not ever going to need it to cut firewood all day or even drop trees bigger than 16 inch diameter.

I work out of town 4 days a week and can't reply here till Friday but can read the threads. Open to all thoughts and suggestions, brands and advice. Certainly can't be worse than just googling reviews.

Thanks in advance

Chainsaw?
Too much work if the timber is of no value.

Why not just get a forestry mulcher for his skid steer?

A mulcher is a great idea, especially for cedars with limbs to the ground. We used one a couple of years ago and took down some pretty big aspen.

Around here you can rent the attachment, you will still need a saw, I bought a "wind-up" Stihl around the same time, I forget the exact displacement...
16" bar, starts easy once you get the hang of it, easy on fuel, pretty quiet (for a 2 stroke) and minimal vibration.

Quite unlike my old blue Homelite XL, which starts good and cuts like a banshee for its size.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Which one of you is this..

We know it isn't 257_X_50 because it wasn't thrown..

Thanks for the laugh

I know I am twisted but when you are doing dangerous work ya kinda need to think it out better than this guy.

Good to see no one was hurt.

It was going for the shed and trying to fall a decidous heave branched tree thru two others not smart.

I use Husky rancher455, 20 to 24 " bars dont think you have that model state side but a different number.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure the 455 used to be available here. Maybe not anymore.

Blows my mind how many saws Husky has built in the 45-55cc range.
Some simultaneously.

445, 455, 346, 350, 353.
Then add in the almost 60cc saws.
357, 359, 460.....

With the smaller pro saws out performing and costing more than the bigger consumer versions. I understand consumer/farm/pro lines. But often they share chassis, sometimes everything but the porting. Just can't imagine they couldn't delete models,
then sell the top saws cheaper due to simplicity savings and increased production of better models. And make more doing it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I only have 2, need another stihl

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
To cut cedar, autumn olives and other small to medium shrubs and trees I purchased a Stihl clearing saw to go along with the Stihl MS260 chainsaw I already owned. The clearing saw I bought was the largest they made at the time, I think it is a 550 series saw, and that thing is a brute. It will cut up to about 3" saplings and shrubs with one sweep and cut 4" stuff with a couple of sweeps. You can do a lot of work with that thing.

Approaching 73yo I now leave that big clearing saw work to my sons. You need to be a young stout dude to handle that thing for any length of time.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 33 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.