Hop To
T
tripod3 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...nacci-spiral-antarctica-waters-106161082

This is what I was referring to in the killer whale thread, these humpbacks came up checked out the boat then formed a bubble net only feet away. At that point I had no idea what they were doing. Anyway I felt lucky to see it first hand and so close.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Neet

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
it was neat to see from a boat glad i have seen it

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty cool...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Been lucky enough to see this first hand a couple of times out of Seward. The best time I had guests from outside with us. High light of their trip.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow.

Molon Labe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A couple CO friends deep into all that kayaking/diving/fishing stuff were kayak camping in a bay out of Seward. While they were out fishing one day, Robert suddenly had bubbles coming up all around his kayak.

His brother said he never knew Robert could leave a roostertail with a kayak. smile

Last edited by las; 01/07/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
That BBC clip looks almost exact area scene of what we saw, amazing to see how big the baleen is when so close and the seagulls land on the bubble perimeter like opportunists.
My brag is the pics of us in 13 ft whaler and the whales were published and sent globally.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was fishing off of the west coast of BC, Canada.

We were over a bait ball hammering Chinook and Cohos, then came in a pod of Killer Whales and I noticed that Humpbacks were following the Killer Whales.

A few minutes later about 50 yards from our boat I noticed a bubble net breaking the surface, and having seen that on Nature, I knew exactly what was happening, so I grabbed my camera and pointed it into the middle of the circle and took this picture when they breached, look at the Herring trying to escape.

The picture is hanging in my den, and I feel truly fortunate to have had the opportunity to take that picture. Sometimes a guy gets lucky.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

T
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
T
They sure reflect "open wide", what a personal capture.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also lucky enough to see this out of Seward! That glacier cruise wildlife viewing trip out of the harbor is wonderful! Completely worth the $

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
On one of the float planes I took this past summer the pilot was telling me that one morning as he was throttled up for takeoff and just after getting airborne a humpback breached while feeding….the pilot said that he was 100’ off the water but the perspective he had made it look like he was going to be swallowed by Moby. He said it was really a trip…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I was fishing off of the west coast of BC, Canada.

We were over a bait ball hammering Chinook and Cohos, then came in a pod of Killer Whales and I noticed that Humpbacks were following the Killer Whales.

A few minutes later about 50 yards from our boat I noticed a bubble net breaking the surface, and having seen that on Nature, I knew exactly what was happening, so I grabbed my camera and pointed it into the middle of the circle and took this picture when they breached, look at the Herring trying to escape.

The picture is hanging in my den, and I feel truly fortunate to have had the opportunity to take that picture. Sometimes a guy gets lucky.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a great Pic.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wife and I did an Alaska cruise this past summer. One of the ports we stopped in was Juneau and had a whale watching tour booked. The tour company said we had perfect timing as they had 2 places where whales were being consistently seen. At the first place we had humpbacks all around us and they are HUUUGE! After 30 minutes we headed over to the "good" area. As we arrived the tour guide said to watch for the birds . They are the indicators for the location of the whales as they are bubble feeding. As soon as the birds dive for the water, start the video. We got to witness bubble feeding 5 or 6 times in 45 minutes. Quite a rare treat and loved every minute! Alaska is Amazing!!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,380
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.