Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Given that Lapua just announced new .300 WSM brass, I’d likely build another 7WSM and use Lapua to form cases via a false shoulder. A 7WSM launching the 180 ELD at 2900+ fps from Lapua cases sounds pretty good.

Or you can use Lapua or Peterson 300 & 338 Norma brass formed via false shoulder to the 7mm NMI and launch 195 gr Bergers & 197 SMK's at 3250 fps

Y'know ... a REAL long range cartridge
I like to get really familiar with my barrels, so I like them to last more than 500-800 rounds. I also have no need to burn that much powder to hit things at distance and get good terminal performance.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Don't build or buy a short mag.
They offer nothing over a standard 7 rem.
Having spent considerable time with both 7WSM and 7RM, I’ll disagree with you there.
How much difference is there if you run both cartridges at the pressure? Or are you talking the accuracy between the cartridges?

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Behold ...
What a REAL Long Range Hunting cartridge looks like and what it can do .... do the math .... if'vn you can count

What does your 375 Mercenary and your 338 Skuldryl weigh with your scope?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Having spent considerable time with both 7WSM and 7RM, I’ll disagree with you there.
How much difference is there if you run both cartridges at the pressure? Or are you talking the accuracy between the cartridges?
Muzzle speed potential is so close between them so as to be indistinguishable for my purposes.

Brass longevity, necessary trimming frequency, potential pressure excursions due to a combination of shoulder angle and neck length, ease of working up precise loads, mag length requirements when using long bullets, etc., all favour the 7WSM.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by xphunter
Behold ...
What a REAL Long Range Hunting cartridge looks like and what it can do .... do the math .... if'vn you can count

Don't forget the 416 Hamsplitter.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Behold ...

I weighed the 338 Skuldryl with scope and a full 5 round mag of ammo before but can't give you the exact weight right now, it has a #5 contour 26" Rock Creek bbl set in a Manners stock, probably 8-10 lbs loaded,

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 375 Mercenary is right at 14 lbs with a 32" Rock Creek bbl

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Behold ...

I weighed the 338 Skuldryl with scope and a full 5 round mag of ammo before but can't give you the exact weight right now, it has a #5 contour 26" Rock Creek bbl set in a Manners stock, probably 8-10 lbs loaded,

The 375 Mercenary is right at 14 lbs with a 32" Rock Creek bbl

Cool-Thanks!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Behold ...

Don't forget the 416 Hamsplitter.

Is that what you call your wife ? or sister ?

No.... Niece ?

Ok I get it .... That was your pet name for your drunckle that split your hams

good for you to come clean in public, I bet it was totally gaytastic for ya

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Given that Lapua just announced new .300 WSM brass, I’d likely build another 7WSM and use Lapua to form cases via a false shoulder. A 7WSM launching the 180 ELD at 2900+ fps from Lapua cases sounds pretty good.

Just out of curiosity what drew you the 7wsm vs saum and I’m assuming prc wasn’t available at the time?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Well, different strokes for different folks.
What does it offer that a 7 RM don't.
I guess you can use a short action? Feeding problems? Not as much powder capacity? It beats a 7 mag in now way shape or form when handloaded and used for long range hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess you can use a short action? Feeding problems? Not as much powder capacity? It beats a 7 mag in now way shape or form when handloaded and used for long range hunting.

With an 8 twist barrel and proper throat nothing really is better than the 7 Rem Mag for a hunting rifle with lots of reach.

The rifle really is not a 7mm RM anymore if it is not to SAAMI spec but the 7WSM is hamstrung even more by it's SAMMI specs.
Behold ...

LOL.

Nothing with a #5 26 inch barrel is getting anywhere near 8# loaded. Unless you leave to scope off and saw the stock in half.

You really love to polish bullets and cases. It's a tell on your deviant fetishes. It really is a tell.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If a 7.5- 8lb rifle is a deal breaker between a 9-10 lb one you need to back away from the dinner table a little.
I dont see why everbody thinks the New Lapua 300WSM brass is a game changer if you've shot much ADG brass you would know its just as good.
I know a really good BR shooter who shoots the 300WSM ADG brass and has no intention of changing but he said he will test it.
You guys are splitting C hairs between the 2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of really good posts here by some very knowledgeable & experienced people.

We once had 2 areas in Idaho, neither of which were overly rugged to hunt, compared to really mountainous terrain like maybe the Hoback area of WY.

But there were really a lot of big, high scoring animals there, especially deer & as a rule shots were always looooog, with a few exceptions & hunting was almost all spot & stalk or spot & shoot. And if you weren't pretty prepared to shoot longer than typically, then you simply weren't going to shoot as getting closer was frequently just not possible due to the terrain.

Some built purpose built rifles specifically to hunt those areas; I built a long-throated 300 Win with a heavy, stiff & stable barrel, all up, that weighted more than 10 lb.

Another guy built a 30-378 the we called the Big Gun & it weighed 13+ lb.

As I recall, there were some animals killed at about 750, longest I killed an animal was a little more than 500 which with good conditions is not all that difficult.

But any rifle to be useful needs to be able to reasonably carried & 10 lb is a load; 13 lb is beyond realistic for most normal people in rough terrain for a 10 mile day on foot, or even 5 miles.

So practicality becomes a consideration as does field recoil.

750 yards is very long under variable field conditions & 1000 is almost laughable for MOST, non-specially trained or exceptionally talented hunters, certainly not for most casual hunters or Shooters that are enchanted witn "LR Hunting".................my opinion is that's no longer hunting, that's just shooting.

I limit myself & will never hunt with a target stocked rifle or extreme "LR" clambering.

My rounds now all fall within the mundane & have no belts nor are of magnum case volumes.

It's not hard to build a LR Rifle, but 1,000 yard genuinely capable 1,000 yd hunters or even Shooters are about as rare as hen's teeth under field conditions............just being able to drag the heavy artillery piece from your car to the firing line on a range & & hitting steel at whatever range you want to brag about is not the same as doing it in the mountains under field conditions.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington92

Just out of curiosity what drew you the 7wsm vs saum and I’m assuming prc wasn’t available at the time?
Nothing wrong with the SAUM, but I wanted to be able to push 180s at 2900+ fps without redlining peak pressure. The PRC will likely become a great option, but brass availability and quality currently favours the other big 7s.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Muzzle speed potential is so close between them so as to be indistinguishable for my purposes.

Brass longevity, necessary trimming frequency, potential pressure excursions due to a combination of shoulder angle and neck length, ease of working up precise loads, mag length requirements when using long bullets, etc., all favour the 7WSM.

See above. I handload for match grade 8" twist barrels on LR-capable hunting rifles in both chamberings.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
If a 7.5- 8lb rifle is a deal breaker between a 9-10 lb one you need to back away from the dinner table a little.
I dont see why everbody thinks the New Lapua 300WSM brass is a game changer if you've shot much ADG brass you would know its just as good.
I know a really good BR shooter who shoots the 300WSM ADG brass and has no intention of changing but he said he will test it.
You guys are splitting C hairs between the 2
I haven't played with ADG .300 WSM brass, given that it's harder to source up here than is Lapua. Thanks for pointing this out, though. I'll keep my eye out for some ADG to try.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

With an 8 twist barrel and proper throat nothing really is better than the 7 Rem Mag for a hunting rifle with lots of reach.

The rifle really is not a 7mm RM anymore if it is not to SAAMI spec but the 7WSM is hamstrung even more by it's SAMMI specs.
Behold ...

LOL.

Nothing with a #5 26 inch barrel is getting anywhere near 8# loaded. Unless you leave to scope off and saw the stock in half.

You really love to polish bullets and cases. It's a tell on your deviant fetishes. It really is a tell.

I know what I'd be buying/building.
7 Rem with a number 3 finished at 26 inches. 8 twist.
No brake, supressor, nothing. 700 action and a micky, bedded, then topped with a mark 5 leupy. That would be the ultimate bomber in my book.

I went 264 win mag and love it, but it's not as good as the 7. Just an honest opinion.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Surprised nobody mentioned 28 Nosler

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Lots of really good posts here by some very knowledgeable & experienced people.

We once had 2 areas in Idaho, neither of which were overly rugged to hunt, compared to really mountainous terrain like maybe the Hoback area of WY.

But there were really a lot of big, high scoring animals there, especially deer & as a rule shots were always looooog, with a few exceptions & hunting was almost all spot & stalk or spot & shoot. And if you weren't pretty prepared to shoot longer than typically, then you simply weren't going to shoot as getting closer was frequently just not possible due to the terrain.

Some built purpose built rifles specifically to hunt those areas; I built a long-throated 300 Win with a heavy, stiff & stable barrel, all up, that weighted more than 10 lb.

Another guy built a 30-378 the we called the Big Gun & it weighed 13+ lb.

As I recall, there were some animals killed at about 750, longest I killed an animal was a little more than 500 which with good conditions is not all that difficult.

But any rifle to be useful needs to be able to reasonably carried & 10 lb is a load; 13 lb is beyond realistic for most normal people in rough terrain for a 10 mile day on foot, or even 5 miles.

So practicality becomes a consideration as does field recoil.

750 yards is very long under variable field conditions & 1000 is almost laughable for MOST, non-specially trained or exceptionally talented hunters, certainly not for most casual hunters or Shooters that are enchanted witn "LR Hunting".................my opinion is that's no longer hunting, that's just shooting.

I limit myself & will never hunt with a target stocked rifle or extreme "LR" clambering.

My rounds now all fall within the mundane & have no belts nor are of magnum case volumes.

It's not hard to build a LR Rifle, but 1,000 yard genuinely capable 1,000 yd hunters or even Shooters are about as rare as hen's teeth under field conditions............just being able to drag the heavy artillery piece from your car to the firing line on a range & & hitting steel at whatever range you want to brag about is not the same as doing it in the mountains under field conditions.

YMMV

MM

Throwing a lot of logic out there MM. Are any of these guys going to pick it up? Sounds like they like axle shafts for barrels though. It doesn't take that to shoot 1,000 yards consistently. Someone mentioned 300WSM, that is a great cartridge, and it doesn't take a #5 axle shaft or 26" for one of those to work really well.

A rifle (Tikka T3X 300WSM) I recently sold to one of my buddies, weighs 7.4 pounds scoped, and it's a sledge hammer. Even at 1,000 yards, given the right nut behind the butt.. That's shooting in the prone, as you said, other field positions can be different. I don't know if the OP plans on shooting from an elevated platform 100 yards from his truck, but I for damn sure would not be packing around a 10 or 13 pound rifle where I hunt elk.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Behold ...

LOL.

LMAO! You finally checked out what I do for a hobby and the only thing you could come up with is "polish bullets and cases" lol !

Ya, I've always hated pics that don't display a product properly, like they are trying to hide something .... Like what you do with the garbage you try to sell to people that don't know any better

The realization that what you have done with your worthless products that don't work as you claim, false advertisement and all, & still can't come remotely close to what I've developed ..

Keep trying Burnstein, one day you might actually design something that may work as you claim and make an honest dollar, but I doubt it, you are all about ripping people off by selling junk that does't work, It's too bad your presence is making Wyo Arms lose so many potential customers & revenue, they really need to cut ties with you in order to make any form of profit

As for long range hunting ? You ain't got a clue what that really means.... The cartridges you use to shoot at animals antlers at 600 yards are what we call mid range... and you still fkn missed the intended target, lol

Now that is telling

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,852
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.