Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You weren’t leaving the house today anyway old timer.

If 13 (thirteen) degrees makes a difference you should probably move back to Seattle.

Hold into the Metamucil.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the weather predicting game is one of the few gigs where you can be wrong 95% of the time and still have credibility

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Blame the canadians. They are the ones making all that cold air!

As we are prone to say “sorry about that, eh”

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Weather in Montana usually falls into the “I’ll believe it when I see it” category. A 24” snow prediction often results in anywhere from a skiff to 36”. The temp forecast is a suggestion. Mountains make their own weather.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I live around 100 miles north of you, and the National Weather Service website predicted -34 as a low for last night. Our thermometer (which usually agrees with the local weather recording site 4 miles from our house) read -36 at 4 o'clock this morning--when the Labrador wanted out for a very brief backyard visit. When I got up again at 6:30 it read -34. (Right now it has zoomed all the way up to -20.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I live around 100 miles north of you, and the National Weather Service website predicted -34 as a low for last night. Our thermometer (which usually agrees with the local weather recording site 4 miles from our house) read -36 at 4 o'clock this morning--when the Labrador wanted out for a very brief backyard visit. When I got up again at 6:30 it read -34. (Right now it has zoomed all the way up to -20.)
Get out your tank tops,shorts and floppy sandals .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When you live between lake Superior and lake Michigan you get used to forecasts being just a guess!

U
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
U
On my pc keyboard you hold down the Alt button type 0176 and then release the Alt button.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's 6 keystrokes. 'deg' takes only and F or C take only 1.
Here's another way. Open https://www.textsymbols.net/. Click on any button that shows the symbol you want. Then go to your post and click paste. Erase whatever you don't want. It still takes a lot more time than F or C but it doesn't require memorizing a bunch of numbers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The naming of Cold Fronts is what I find the second most ridiculous thing about TWC & meteorologist. Number one being their fake coverage during Hurricanes trying to look in danger and then kids walk by in the corner or some Croc Wearing guys cross the street.

I turned off the Direct TV after the election coverage so I never see that crap at home but I’ve been in Gonzales LA off and on the last 3 months so not many options while eating breakfast in the morning.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Since the weather channel went to MSNBC as their news source, they be gone, gone, gone. You lay with dogs, you get fleas.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

JFC dude. Get a life!

But in the defense of Varmintgay ( Yes, I spelled that right...) I should get a job as a meteorologist. They can be wrong 80% of the time and still not get fired...kinda like having a State.gov job....
You are wrong. I'm a retired state.gov meteorologist. If a meteorologist's predictions are 80%wrong, they'd be sent down the road - by their colleagues.

OP, did you perchance have a weather system or front pass through? Nailing down the temperature to within a few degrees is extremely difficult when a front is in the vicinity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 007FJ
The naming of Cold Fronts is what I find the second most ridiculous thing about TWC & meteorologist. Number one being their fake coverage during Hurricanes trying to look in danger and then kids walk by in the corner or some Croc Wearing guys cross the street.

I turned off the Direct TV after the election coverage so I never see that crap at home but I’ve been in Gonzales LA off and on the last 3 months so not many options while eating breakfast in the morning.
As a retired meteorologist, that sh-it pisses me off to no end! I even made some spoof videos on my Facebook feed a few years ago poking fun of the local news station's coverage of a hurricane and later, a snowstorm.

BTW, I once worked at a hazardous waste cleanup site in Gonzales. At lunch lots of days at a little shack on the corner near the visitor's center that had a giant alligator out back.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They constantly report the temeratures wrong here. not predictions the actual temerature. It is reported higher than it really is. many days 10 degrees high. One day this year during deer season they were 14 degrees high. Then on the weather news they claim 2023 hottest year ever. It sure is when you are skewing the temp 10 degrees. Then the idiot politicians do stupid things to fix a problem that is invented.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I knew what you meant Varmintguy. It is easy for these to criticize the post because they have never tried to function in temps that cold. -25 will be an obstacle. -40 is when stuff just falls off.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have this super high tech thing called a "Thermometer" at my house. One big one I can see from the picture window and another wireless one that sits on my desk.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NOAA is about the best.

I live about 4-5 bird miles from the farm and have noticed the vehicle temp reading to vary up to 5-8 degrees from place to place.

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/14/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
They constantly report the temeratures wrong here. not predictions the actual temerature. It is reported higher than it really is. many days 10 degrees high. One day this year during deer season they were 14 degrees high. Then on the weather news they claim 2023 hottest year ever. It sure is when you are skewing the temp 10 degrees. Then the idiot politicians do stupid things to fix a problem that is invented.
Nevermind the fact that where they are taking the temp to where you're taking it can have that much actual difference.

Especially if they're taking it right in the city or possibly a good bit south of you.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/14/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I knew what you meant Varmintguy. It is easy for these to criticize the post because they have never tried to function in temps that cold. -25 will be an obstacle. -40 is when stuff just falls off.

This.^^^^

If your living indoors with force air heat then the furnace just works a bit harder.

Keeping water flowing to stock is much harder from -20 to -35.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (257Bob, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 54 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,590
Posts18,511,150
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.