Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL @ VaRmInTdude !

I believe he is 85+ (eighty Five!) and an ex cop from Washington (state).

Good thing you avoided the gun store so someone else could buy 22 lr's (twenty two long rifles) , or are they still hard for you to find (locate)?

John, the only stock he (VD) has are the 500 rifles he has that he posts on others threads that he too has..... Hell, I believe I have seen him post at least 50 "I have one just like yours and it shoots great, best durned rifle I own'.

Maybe it is good he stayed inside, pissing in the wind below 25 ( 25 below !) could prove fatal, especially if R miller is correct about things falling off....lofl

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
On an F250 I had, I went to start it at -40 and the pot metal key assembly just crumbled apart in my hand.

I went to open the hood on my Lexus GX470 last winter at -40 and the hood latch just crumpled apart.

Today I went to plug my car in at -18 and the extension cord jacket peeled apart.

Spend a couple months at -27 to -35, and -10 will feel like a heatwave. I experienced this in bearflanks Alaska. (I actually lived in NP).

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

heard a presentation from a NWS (NOAA) meteorologist a month ago . we were talking about runoff, thunderstorm (summer) vs snowmelt, etc. He said when it comes to weather report that matters, watchout for "apps", many are hooked into AI now, and do some surfing of other weather reports, and tend to get further afield, based on the internet, rather than physically based models.

we are lucky we have a NWS office 10 miles west of Flagstaff, and a graduate meteorologist that works for local radio station.

We get good weather reports and accurate updates.

I don't use or take stock in the commercial apps.

YMMV

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hemiallen
LOL @ VaRmInTdude !

I believe he is 85+ (eighty Five!) and an ex cop from Washington (state).

Good thing you avoided the gun store so someone else could buy 22 lr's (twenty two long rifles) , or are they still hard for you to find (locate)?

John, the only stock he (VD) has are the 500 rifles he has that he posts on others threads that he too has..... Hell, I believe I have seen him post at least 50 "I have one just like yours and it shoots great, best durned rifle I own'.

Maybe it is good he stayed inside, pissing in the wind below 25 ( 25 below !) could prove fatal, especially if R miller is correct about things falling off....lofl

🫡

Well done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Rmiller2: & Sycamore:
Got the official low for January 13th here and it was "officially" -42 degrees (forty two degrees below zero!)!
Not only was that a new all time record low for that date it was an all time record for January here and to top that off it was an all time record low for any date (going back 110 years). The previous all time record low for any date here was -37 degrees so this 5 degree colder temperature sure got the attention of the news broadcasters.
Yeah I just did not want to push things by starting up my rig and headin for town - supposed to get above "zero" tomorrow hereabouts.
I did putter around outside yesterday feeding the birds and putting out some corn - "profound" is how I would describe that cold.
So much for global warming.
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuys

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
semiallen & skunt: Neither of you are worth afuck are you?
I am proud of who and what I am/was and I am especially proud of my lifetime long collecting/collection of firearms!
If either of you don't enjoy sharing and talking with others about firearms, Hunting and gun collecting then YOU are on the wrong site.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am normally NOT critical of weathermen as for the most part they do a pretty good job - and I partake of a lot of outdoor activities that are dependent on the "the weather".
I often don't criticize their missing the "temperature" predictions that they make.
But, yesterday, at least three different weather folks missed the temperature predictions they made for today by a long ways!
The weatherfolks I saw during the day yesterday all predicted a low of -26 degrees (twenty six degrees below zero!) as a low for today here.
Alas when I woke up this morning the "official" temperature was 13 (thirteen) degrees COLDER than predicted and was at -39 (thirty nine degrees below zero!) when I arose - I have NO idea what the real low temperature was but I do know the weatherfolks missed their prediction by a significant amount.
Probably not much to do different from -26 degrees to -39 degrees but I do know I canceled my planned morning trip to a gun shop and an afternoon trip to the movies (Boy's In The Boat) due to the increased/profound cold.
You would think "inland", like I am here (SW Montana), the weatherfolks could be a little more accurate?
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just out of curiosity, what were the other conditions during the time the weatherman blew his low temperature forecast. I'm not doing a flame on you so bear with me. What kind of cloud cover? How much snow on the grounds.How windy was it. Every one of those thing can make a profound change in temperature.

One, I was a weatherman for 33 years. My first weather station was Winnemucca Nevada. One winter we had a goodly snowfall with slightly over 6" on the ground. I was working the midnight shift and there was a beautiful solid overcast of clouds lit up by a full moon. Temperature when I got to work was 32* and the forecast was IIRC something like 28 or 29*. I did all the stuff to get ready for a balloon run, set up the forms for the new day observations and made a cup of coffee. Wind was perfectly calm. About 10 minutes to 1 AM I started the first weather observation. We had inside instrumentation and an instrument shelter outside as back up and which is used to check the inside instruments. I looked at the temperature first and it registered 16 below zero. Read that again, 16 below zero. Damn, I'll have to use the shelter and call the el tech in the AM. I watched the mercury fall past minus 16 and went back inside to finish the observation. BTW, there wasn't a single cloud it the sky and that full moon made it almost as bright as daylight with the snow cover.

What happened was when the cloud cover moved out, we lost the greenhouse effect and what that was there just went out into outer space For all practical purposes. It just reflected off all that snow cover. Final official low temp was 36 below zero, only two degrees shy of the all time record. Unofficially, 41 degrees below zero was recorded by people who lived down by the Humbolt River which runs alongside town.

FWIW, for the next five or six days it never got any warmer that ten below zero for a daytime high temp. Normally we'd get a few nights that were at zero or a bit below bit that was one night that I'll never forget. That had to be a pretty damn strong cold front that hit us, dropped all that snow, then moving out taking the clouds with it.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When it has been 25 below for a week and it drops to 40 below the change isn't as noticeable as when it's been 40 below for a week and it rises to 25 below.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I never watch TV weather forecasters! They're too theatrical about weather changes. I live a little more than a mile from a WEATHER UNDERGROUND station and they are way more accurate than any of the other weather forecasters.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got the official low for January 13th here and it was "officially" -42 degrees (forty two degrees below zero!)!
Not only was that a new all time record low for that date it was an all time record for January here and to top that off it was an all time record low for any date (going back 110 years). The previous all time record low for any date here was -37 degrees so this 5 degree colder temperature sure got the attention of the news broadcasters.
Yeah I just did not want to push things by starting up my rig and headin for town - supposed to get above "zero" tomorrow hereabouts.
I did putter around outside yesterday feeding the birds and putting out some corn - "profound" is how I would describe that cold.
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuys

Putting out corn? You must be one of those old dumb fuggs that illegally feed deer. I have a warden buddy over your way, I will give him a heads up to watch for your dumb azz. Ever hearof CWD moron?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
semiallen & skunt: Neither of you are worth afuck are you?
I am proud of who and what I am/was and I am especially proud of my lifetime long collecting/collection of firearms!
If either of you don't enjoy sharing and talking with others about firearms, Hunting and gun collecting then YOU are on the wrong site.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hee hee.
Your weekly outrage over trivial bullszchit is what's so fascinating. As is your running competition with sharpsman for most-exclamation-points-per-post.
You seemingly have no trouble responding to other member posts with WGAF's – how ya like 'dem tables-turned apples, bitterman?

GFY – and your incessant bitching.

Hold into the wind chill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by callnum
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuys

Putting out corn? You must be one of those old dumb fuggs that illegally feed deer. I have a warden buddy over your way, I will give him a heads up to watch for your dumb azz. Ever hearof CWD moron?

You go girl!

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
NOAA is about the best.

I live about 4-5 bird miles from the farm and have noticed the vehicle temp reading to vary up to 5-8 degrees from place to place.

Yep, on both counts.

NOAA was predicting -28 this morning here. I was up a three for a little while, and the temperature on our accurate thermometer was -17. Hmmm....

Got up at 6:00 and it was -21. At 7:30 it was -28.

Rising now, slowly, now that the sun is up. The site's predicting a high of -1!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 30 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.