Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are a very expensive fashion statement. pity

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother has a Tesla. Cost $65K. Here in the NC mountains it is a great car, for trips less than 120 miles. He drove it all around today, temp of 22 degrees.

He has a heated garage where he charges it, in a 240 station that I installed for him.
Obviously, in fifteen below weather, the Tesla is useless. For a long trip, say a trip from here to Louisiana, 900 miles, the Tesla is just no good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Lithium batteries must be above 32°F to charge. Have a single 12 volt 200-amp hr on our travel trailer. Wonderful with solar panels in the spring/summer/fall but can become a significant issue for us boon dockers once our winter weather with single digit or negative temps arrive.

They'll deliver power just fine at low temps, but one has to warm the battery before it will take a charge. At single digit temps, a Tesla's warming system needs about 40 minutes before one can add anything to the battery. That's a long time at the pump. We just winterize our trailer, bring the battery in, and forget about the trailer's electronics for about 5 months or the year. With about 40 to 60 days of use a year, we've only once spent time where we could hook up to power, water, sewer, and cable.

Living at 4,500 ft elevation here in SE Oregon, it will be a warm day in Hell before I'll buy an EV. A run to the nearest Walmart is 130 miles one way, and I'm not doing a tricked-out golf cart for that.

Diesel or die,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/16/24.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, they are just an expensive golf cart. And who golfs in -20F.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, Dino Juice still rules!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There are +'s & -'s to every type of battery.

Like 1minute I have lithiums in my travel trailer. Three Lithionic batteries give a combined capacity of 390 AH and have the advantages of long life, fast charging , high storage capacity and a much lower weight than standard wet cells or AGM's. Another major advantage of the Lithiums is the ability to take them down to 15% as opposed to a minimum of 50% on AGM's with no degrading of the battery ... a major plus. Downsides include cost up front, the need to keep battery temp above 32 degrees when charging and the need to modify your vehicle charging system with the addition of an DC/DC charger fed by your vehicle alternator which must typically have larger wires than standard 7-pin connectors provided.

As far as the minimum charging temp of 32 degrees goes, many Lithium batteries have built in heaters or, in the case of my battery, a heating pad under the batteries which is smart enough to turn itself on when the temp drops. I do not have a Tesla but have a good friend who has one and he indicates they have a battery heating system on board which will bring the batteries up to temp before you put a charger to it. Part of the protocol is to see your battery is up to temp before you put it to bed for the night, assuming no AC power plugin, so that you do not take an empty battery to the charger cold.

When parked my Lithiums are kept charged by rooftop solar panel on the trailer and, when possible, 110 from the house. Even in the cloudy north side of the Olympic Penninsula where I live, the panels keep up with the storage draw with no problem. I watch the battery temp through an app during cold weather and the coldest I have seen them is 43 degrees this last week with temps hanging in the low teens to mid 20's ... when the batteries hit 43 degrees they held there, a result I am sure of the heating pad turning itself on. I am three years into the ownership of my batteries and have become a huge fan despite the manageable downsides.

At this point I cannot haul my rig any distance with a any affordable EV I am aware of but I am quite sure that in the coming decades the issues will very likely be addressed. Lithiums batteries are not perfect but they or some other storage technology will continue to become a more and more valuable tool in the kit.

Last edited by outahere; 01/16/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Tesla... "Yard Art" of the not too distant future!...

Where i come from we refer to them as yodd cahs......gotta hold on to a nice yodd cah.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guess they need to be parked inside a coal heated building!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As far as the minimum charging temp of 32 degrees goes, many Lithium batteries have built in heaters or, in the case of my battery, a heating pad under the batteries which is smart enough to turn itself on when the temp drops. I do not have a Tesla but have a good friend who has one and he indicates they have a battery heating system on board which will bring the batteries up to temp before you put a charger to it. Part of the protocol is to see your battery is up to temp before you put it to bed for the night, assuming no AC power plugin, so that you do not take an empty battery to the charger cold.
Apparently in Chicago they're using the last of the battery power to warm them up enough to charge them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Riverc
Only a fool would buy an EV living up North without having a gas vehicle for times like this. Hell even in the south you would be a fool, hurricanes can cause power outages for weeks.

We had a snow storm of 17" , cold and strong winds here last week. There are still thousands without power... Just saying.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Lithium batteries must be above 32°F to charge. Have a single 12 volt 200-amp hr on our travel trailer. Wonderful with solar panels in the spring/summer/fall but can become a significant issue for us boon dockers once our winter weather with single digit or negative temps arrive.

They'll deliver power just fine at low temps, but one has to warm the battery before it will take a charge. At single digit temps, a Tesla's warming system needs about 40 minutes before one can add anything to the battery. That's a long time at the pump. We just winterize our trailer, bring the battery in, and forget about the trailer's electronics for about 5 months or the year. With about 40 to 60 days of use a year, we've only once spent time where we could hook up to power, water, sewer, and cable.

Living at 4,500 ft elevation here in SE Oregon, it will be a warm day in Hell before I'll buy an EV. A run to the nearest Walmart is 130 miles one way, and I'm not doing a tricked-out golf cart for that.

Diesel or die,

Tesla owners should try to warm the batteries with a weed burner..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I can say? : Snicker...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maybe it's too cold for the gangs of street thugs to strip them to the frame before they can charge them....if they're lucky.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I heard it said that 95% of all EV's are still on the road.

The other 5% made it home!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I feel so bad for them
laugh laugh Yeah, I have seen this on the news over the last day or two and it brought a YUGE smile to my face... I'm SO glad they're 'saving the planet'..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Build igloos around them!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This seems counterintuitive, I thought EVs were intended to stop global warming.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by geedubya
I heard it said that 95% of all EV's are still on the road.

The other 5% made it home!

ya!

GWB

Their Green Religion is as Strong as a Fast Trip to Heaven via a Explosive Vest ..

No Virgins thou..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Other than I- 10 and I-40 way down south...you don't get in and out of California without going over serious mountains in the winter.
I'm really sad I'll be dead by the time the Newsom's 2036 ban on diesel trucks kicks in...but on a cheerful note...he may be dead by then too.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Hilarious.

Saw this morning a van with "Tesla Service" emblazoned on the sides and back. I wonder what that job entails.

They do on site emergency delivery of heavily sweetened Koolaid.
Trivia fact of the day. Tesla service vans are Ford gassers.
I40 closes more regularly than you would think. I15 just 20 minutes from my home in sunny Southern California closes every couple years. I10 will close at Chiraco summit occasionally but not for long. There are plenty of places on I40 that will close for snow and ice. The I15 Grapevine closes a couple times a year too.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, Dino Juice still rules!!

lol, they told us it was Dino juice, to regulate it, control it, and everything manufactured it can feed, and of course end goal money and power(control)

but it's the 2nd most common and regenerating fluid on earth next to water

read that again, your gut just heard that and felt it to be true instantly didn't it? you bet it did, if you are in tune with your intuition and consciousness you can hear the truth from the lies easily wink

we can't run out, the Dino juice lie is hilarious, we're getting there in figuring out just how much we've been lied to through our lives and how big those lies have been

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 01/17/24.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,770
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.