Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I re-read Northern Dave's thread on his DIY bedding. It's a good thread. I've done prob 30-40 bedding jobs over the years but I'm still trying to figure out how guys get the nice neat perfect forward edge of the bedding under the first inch or 2 of barrel. I've tried the clay dam, Dremel a perfect edge, Exacto knife, and simply leaving it as is.

How do you all get that perfect forward edge on your bedding jobs?

Also, I know guys that take the action out after 4-5-6 hours before the epoxy cures. The thought being the epoxy is easier to clean up before it fully cures. Won't wedging the action out of the stock prior to the epoxy being cured cause 'slop' in critical aress? I'm thinking the recoil lug especially.

Any other good tips/tricks?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I re-read Northern Dave's thread on his DIY bedding. It's a good thread. I've done prob 30-40 bedding jobs over the years but I'm still trying to figure out how guys get the nice neat perfect forward edge of the bedding under the first inch or 2 of barrel. I've tried the clay dam, Dremel a perfect edge, Exacto knife, and simply leaving it as is.

Also, I know guys that take the action out after 4-5-6 hours before the epoxy cures. The thought being the epoxy is easier to clean up before it fully cures. Won't wedging the action out of the stock prior to the epoxy being cured cause 'slop' in critical aress? I'm thinking the recoil lug especially.

Thanks.

Same question as you. I am a notorious tang and lug bedder, but I do not get the perfect front edge under the barrel. It hasn't hurt anything that I know of, but I'd still like to know. Also tried the same tricks as you Bill, clay dam, dremel, drywall knife, etc grin

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For the forward edge, I've had good luck getting a sharp line using the clay dam. On the edges around the chamber/near the lug, I've found that using more epoxy works better (and obviously having to clear up what overflows). Too little leaves pock holes, bubbles, or wavy edges.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yah same. I use a clay dam and then clean it up with a Dremel wheel. Never quite figured out the perfect way.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks.

All ancient Chinese secrets..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t do my own glass bedding. The dozen or so that I have glass bedded do not have a perfect edge in front of the recoil lug. I’m completely fine with that.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Darn nice bedding jobs there BSA! I’d hire you in a “New York Second” to do my future bedding jobs! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first one I bedded I just left it go ahead, then cleaned it up later. Since then I've used dams.

I use modeling clay dams, even used wood putty with mineral oil mixed in to make it way more pliable, it all works. I use a thin razor type blade like either an exacto knife or 1 of the thin replacement blades that come with the Havalon I have to make the precise edge on my dam.

Requires obviously that you put the barreled action in first to squeeze out the clay, then remove the action and trim the dam where you want it. I put a straight edge piece of masking tape on each side of the forearm where I've pre-determined I want the bedding to end, then use that as my sight guide when cutting the straight edge across on the dam.

I'm just a do it yourself, work on your own guns type of guy, but even I can make it look like I know what I'm doing using that method.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those are very nice and what I'm trying to achieve. How do you make that edge like that?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"How do you all get that perfect forward edge on your bedding jobs? "

In the stock where I want the bedding to end,
I place a layer or two down on the stock before coating it with release agent,
then I put a wrap or two (as long as there is clearance) on the barrel that corresponds with the same place.
That way the tape leaves a line in the bedding to follow when I go to remove anything forward of the tape line.
The tape on the stock just makes it easier to remove the unwanted bedding material forward of the tape line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

then I put a wrap or two (as long as there is clearance) on the barrel that corresponds with the same place.
That way the tape leaves a line in the bedding to follow when I go to remove anything forward of the tape line.
The tape on the stock just makes it easier to remove the unwanted bedding material forward of the tape line.

Beat me to it.

Edit to add. I've used the tape on the barrel to also gauge the thickness of the bedding, hold the action centered in the front, and hold the amount of free float I want. Patience applying the tape perfectly before even thinking about mixing epoxy is the key.

Last edited by Feral_American; 01/18/24.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Beat me to it.

Edit to add. I've used the tape on the barrel to also gauge the thickness of the bedding, hold the action centered in the front, and hold the amount of free float I want. Patience applying the tape perfectly before even thinking about mixing epoxy is the key.

Great tips. Thank you fellas!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

I've considered using something attached to the barrel to create the clean edge - but was concerned with epoxy getting under/between the tape. Release agent under the barrel stape should solve that issue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
For the forward edge, I've had good luck getting a sharp line using the clay dam. On the edges around the chamber/near the lug, I've found that using more epoxy works better (and obviously having to clear up what overflows). Too little leaves pock holes, bubbles, or wavy edges.

This is how I do it. Nothing to clean up that amounts to anything on the forward edge. Like pouring concrete into a mold, remove the clay dam after words with a already straight edge, and there's your straight & neat edge of the bedding. Simple and easy by my thinking but there's no wrong way as long as it works.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you!

I've considered using something attached to the barrel to create the clean edge - but was concerned with epoxy getting under/between the tape. Release agent under the barrel stape should solve that issue.

Use quality masking tape and be neat and tight with it. Tape won't stick to the barrel if you put release agent under the tape and the whole method will fail. De-grease the barrel, apply your tape, THEN coat everything with release agent including the tape.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^filing this; thanks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Beat me to it.

Exactly. Remember to use release agent on the tape as well. That way the epoxy does not stick to it.
Thank you!

Use quality masking tape and be neat and tight with it. Tape won't stick to the barrel if you put release agent under the tape and the whole method will fail. De-grease the barrel, apply your tape, THEN coat everything with release agent including the tape.

There you go^^^ Nailed it.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent - thanks all for enlightening me. Learn sumtin' 'very day.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
grin

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.