Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Fantasies about charging bears, and pretending you are going to be emptying your gun like a ph make people think they need a crf. The first bullet is the one that matters. If you can’t kill it on the first try, your gear regardless of extraction isn’t going to be a deciding factor.
Dream on.

Yup. Personally, I've seen more M70s fail to feed than 700s. If you want CRF, I rarely see Ruger rifles fail to feed. But a Remington 700 tends to feed like butter if properly sprung. Or throw on an AICS magazine and you have the round center-feeding from the cartridge lips until its half in the chamber, then the bolt finishes pushing it in while it has nowhere to go.

Haven't seen a Tikka have trouble feeding either.

CRF is a lot of hype and fantasy.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I took my stainless 375 H&H M70 on my first brown bear hunt and will take it again this year though with a different scope and mount.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
DG with a pushfeed? Blasphemy. Jk.
I'd go 700 and not think twice about it.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
^^ A man that knows how to shoot!
Shoots a Remington.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Idon't own a 70. But I do have 700s and I have never had a failure to feed, extract, ot fire with a 700. I trust a 700 to work when needed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M70, out of familiarity alone. Nothing against 700s, just not enough experience with them to really comment.

Don't care much about CRF. Even in real rough conditions, would imagine say a Tikka works as well as most any CRF guns. Be interesting to see what it takes to make one fail, especially being a rather well sealed system.

Would be fun to see what makes a Vanguard/Howa choke compared to a 700 as well.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Rem 700 - industry standard
Superior aftermarket support
The CRF argument is BS

lol...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone knows the answer is "neither" - pass the Tikka T3 laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
M 70 push feed is the answer............LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Honestly if I am going after DG I am taking the Kimber Montana or Classic since they are the only ones I have in a caliber for DG.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It probably doesn't matter that much in reality. CRF is nice, but push feed rifles work just fine so I don't see that as an issue.

If I had to choose I would go with one of my M70 's, mostly because of the pre-64 trigger. I like Remington 700's and have used them plenty, but I once had problems with a Walker trigger freezing up partially in cold damp weather. Since that is the sort of weather that is often encountered on brown bear hunts I'd feel a bit more confident with the M70.

I also have Ruger Hawkeyes and they are a very robustly built rifle that would also be well suited to a brown bear hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is a typical question on campfire: assuming the people who answer are the last word on the issue. You're asking the wrong crowd. Go to people that have the experience to be objective. People like the Shumakers in Alaska, the late Don Heath in Africa or Kevin Robertson from Africa. After 30-40 years of seeing what works, those folks know what they're talking about.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can ask them all you want. The type of extraction is likely down the list of what they like to see in a customer. Whereas they prefer clients who can shoot accurately. Follow instructions. And are good tippers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
This is a typical question on campfire: assuming the people who answer are the last word on the issue. You're asking the wrong crowd. Go to people that have the experience to be objective. People like the Shumakers in Alaska, the late Don Heath in Africa or Kevin Robertson from Africa. After 30-40 years of seeing what works, those folks know what they're talking about.

How are we supposed to ask the late Don Heath anything? Via a medium?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
700 remington

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have and like both, not taking any sides here.
I live close to Ilion and like 700's but,
A 70 has never had a bolt handle come off in someone's hand. Happened to a friend that was hunting in Canada on a very expensive hunt, was not happy. Was bad braze combined with very cold weather.
A 70 has never not extracted due to a cheap C clip failing. Has happened many times.
A 70 has never had its safety the subject of lawsuits lost.
I had a Model Seven that had the barrel drilled off center, sad to say the quality at Remington was sub-par for many years.
I'm hate to see them leave Ilion but maybe they will get the quality back in Alabama.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jay
A 70 has never had a bolt handle come off in someone's hand. Happened to a friend that was hunting in Canada on a very expensive hunt, was not happy. Was bad braze combined with very cold weather.
A 70 has never not extracted due to a cheap C clip failing. Has happened many times.
I had a Model Seven that had the barrel drilled off center, sad to say the quality at Remington was sub-par for many years.
I'm hate to see them leave Ilion but maybe they will get the quality back in Alabama.
All very good points

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jay

And I'll add, the 70's safety locks the bolt handle. Remington's concept is inconceivable to me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by jay

And I'll add, the 70's safety locks the bolt handle. Remington's concept is inconceivable to me.

And yet millions of sportsman, soldiers, and recreational shooters use them worldwide with no issues.

Go figure.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The only time I had a cartridge fall out of a rifle while loading one in the chamber was with a push feed. Rifle was held straight up and while slowly trying to load a round quietly the round fell out and hit rocks at me feet.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 14 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.