Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Now that the latest "rimfire ammo shortage is well behind us I still have this lingering question... WHY?
That question was brought to mind again today when I visited my local hardware store. I was perusing the ammunition aisle and was impressed with the amount and variety of rimfire ammunition they had on their shelves.
In fact I counted the various offerings and it came to 64 (sixty four) different offerings of rimfire ammunition in various cartridges by 12 (twelve) different companies!
Just a while back NOTHING was available - I must ask, WHAT has changed to NOW be able to have so much ammo available? I will add that the ammo on the shelves now is MORE expensive than before the last rimfire ammo shortage.
But what on earth caused that last "shortage"? And, why now, is so much rimfire ammo available?
I am leaning toward believing what several of my shooting friends espouse, that the last rimfire shortage was a manufactured shortage BY the ammunition manufacturers to create an artificial demand and to run up prices.
I haven't got to that belief fully, as yet, but I see no other explanation.
What do you all think?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The existence or lack of panic....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The ammo manufacturers could not to keep up with demand for the big sellers , and increased military and IRS needs. The Rimfire ammo orders were put on the back burner. Catch -up time now.
My understanding of the ammo industry.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cisco that explanation makes the most sense…

but weren’t we told by insiders that the manufacturers were producing rimfire ammo in record numbers and it was simply increased demand?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The last “shortage” was caused by fear and hoarding…
I’m down to a little over 1k rounds and am gonna start replenishing my supply.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is sort of like a cat house in a sea port. The cat house is only going to keep enough girls on hand to take care of normal business. When the Navy comes to town, demand quickly outstrips supply. Wait in line or do without.

The ammo companies are not able to meet surge demands because they have their manufacturing facilities sized to meet normal demand. If normal is 3 shifts 5 1/2 or 6 days a week, going to 7 days a week is just a drop in the bucket compared to recent demands. They can crank up the speed of the machines a bit, at the cost of quality. The only other thing they can do is import. Federal has imported a lot of Israeli ammo through the years. Winchester has imported shot shells in recent years. The absolute finest Winchester .223 Rem ammo I ever shot, was 62 grain HP loads which said in the fine print "made in Finland".

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Panic is a self fulfilling prophecy. Get a couple of guys talking about Armageddon and all the sudden, groupthink and stampede mentality take over.

In reality, no one was about to take our guns away from us and there was no reason for the run on ammo. But I feel confident that the ammo and gun manufacturers were very happy with the results. Hell, they were probably the ones' who started the rumor.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Panic is a self fulfilling prophecy. Get a couple of guys talking about Armageddon and all the sudden, groupthink and stampede mentality take over.

In reality, no one was about to take our guns away from us and there was no reason for the run on ammo. But I feel confident that the ammo and gun manufacturers were very happy with the results. Hell, they were probably the ones' who started the rumor.

Well said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the reason for previous shortages is best described as “all of the above”: panic buying, hoarding, and mass purchases by speculators (including at least some retailers) all played a role IMO.

Regardless of the causes, the way to keep from being affected by a shortage is to acquire a sufficient amount to see one through the market blips, and maintaining that level. Done methodically and sensibly, that won’t break the budget, or contribute to the problem. It also permits the purchase of preferred product so you don’t have to settle for whatever you can scrounge up, at inflated prices to boot. I see lots of good deals in my internet travels of late, and have picked up a few, especially ones that include free shipping. Not just RF either, 9mm, .223, and shotshells are all in good supply now. Have no idea what’s on store shelves since I rarely go to Walmart or the big outdoor stores.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry about the shortage guys. I went on a binge and burned up billions of rounds. When I stopped supplies began to fill the shelves again. Won't do it again, I promise.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sorry about the shortage guys. I went on a binge and burned up billions of rounds. When I stopped supplies began to fill the shelves again. Won't do it again, I promise.

Oh c’mon, you know you will…….

What fresh Hell is this?
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I would think that the shortages were intentional and used to keep us focused on the alleged cause. Control is always done thru fear and trauma.
Very much like the fear of they are coming for your guns (or ammo) but they never do. The thought in its self creates the fear and gains them the control of our minds. A psyops if you will, but the very definition of Armageddon, (the war for your mind).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good morning Cert.

I think the demand was always there. However, I know some of the ammo manufacturers have been at near capacity in production.

I also know the Campfire guys suck up a lot of ammo................

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
If the numbers are accurate, 106 million Americans own at least one gun. Some of us are overachievers. Some of us have more than one bullet for our firearms.

Do the math, so let's say on average those 106 millions Americans have 100 rounds each, that's 10.6 billion rounds. You could probably triple to quadruple that amount if you take into account the total number of firearms in ownership and those of us who have more than 100 rounds.

It doesn't take much to cause a shortage.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
I would think that the shortages were intentional and used to keep us focused on the alleged cause. Control is always done thru fear and trauma.
Very much like the fear of they are coming for your guns (or ammo) but they never do. The thought in its self creates the fear and gains them the control of our minds. A psyops if you will, but the very definition of Armageddon, (the war for your mind).
I dont know about the K. Alot of states have done pretty well at banning certain guns, magazines ect. The gov does want us disarmed and I have ZERO trust for any of those fuggers

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by K22

They never come for our guns…come again??

Out here they come for them every day in every way

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
K22: I am leaning towards "intentional" myself (for the rimfire shortage) - but having lived the first 49 years of my life in taxington I have to disagree with your contention about "them NEVER coming for our guns"!
The horrors my friends, Hunting partners and relatives are still going through trying to enjoy their Second Amendment Rights out there in taxington is profound and diabolical.
Traveled to a gunshop in the next county over this morning and their supplies of rimfire ammunitions was also very impressive (they had lots of choices in every rimfire round except 17 WSM) - and it was stunningly expensive on top of that. I was after some rimfire grooved receiver rings so did not need any rimfire ammo at all - have a lifetime supply in my gun vault room (and have had so for many years now).
But still the reason for the last "intentional" (artificial) rimfire ammunition shortage puzzles me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Varmint Guy,

Why do you think " intentional" is the reason? You may be right , however, I think competition would be a factor. Do you surmise there is collusion, ( Price fixing) amongst manufacturers? What about supply & demand?

Best,

Chuck

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You know they will use a few token arrests just to keep us ducking, but over all, no grand band and confiscation. With most living in fear of them doing it, they don't have to worry about any armed rebellion. History of this country has proven that. We have to much fear of rebelling.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Grilled Cheese.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,294 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,711
Posts18,534,893
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.