Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi,
I was wondering if I can truly barbecue some ribs on my propane grill or would I just be grilling?
Is it possible to get a "true" barbecue with a gas grill or do I need charcoal or mesquite wood?
Is barbecue slow cooking and grilling quick?

Also:
Are there other parts of the country where barbecuing is popular like in the Carolinas? Memphis area? Kansas City or Texas?

I need help with the terminology of barbecuing vs grilling.
Thanks.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Two503000

Thanks.

You've opened a big ol bag o worms there friend whistle

Generally (IMO!), BBQ is low temp, indirect heat and time. Grilling is direct heat and quicker. The strictness to which that's observed is up to the chef. (and the beer swilling bystanders!)

Depending upon your gas grill you can ribs that are pretty good. (1) Get a decent dry rub and sprinkle liberally on the ribs about 12 hours prior ad bring up to room temp before you put them on. Fold up some wood (Hickory for me, mesquite for those in Texas) in foil and poke some holes in it. Use only the back burner and place the ribs towards the front. Put the foil package towards the back so that it smolders. Do that for a couple hours at as low a temp as reasonable (225 or so) then transfer to the oven and do another 5 hours or so at 200 or so. Cook until the ribs tear easily apart.

Now, there are those that would call me a heretic for doing it that way and just to set the record straight I use this and lump charcoal and hickory! But if all you have is a gasser, give it a try.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Best thing for you to do would be check down in the food/game board. A lot of good information there.

You cannot bbq with a gas grill because I doubt you could keep the temperature low enough. You can grill, or bake with smoke flavor in the grill, though, because you can get a little box to put the wood in and let it smolder.

Unless you are cooking at 250 degrees, or less, over a long period of time, you aren't doing bbq.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If what you produce is lip smacking good you can call it "what ever you want", if it sucks then it won't matter what you call it.
To answer your question BBQ is grilling slow. The purist will say you can BBQ only with wood or charcoal but there is some very good gas BBQ out there. Grilling is the same as BBQ with the exception that grilling is done over high heat and very fast.
If I'm going to do a large amount of meat, say for a large gathering I'll fire up the big wood grill. Usually invite a few of the attendees to help tend the fire overnight, make a party before the party of it. If I'm just doing 2 full slabs of ribs or a fresh ham for the family I'll usually use the big Weber gas grill. Put the meat on set the temp add a few smoking chips to a smoke pan, close the top and forget it for 5-6 hours.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have tried boiling ribs in crab boil for 30 mins and then finishing them off on a gas grill. They came out pretty good, but too me they weren't as good as dry rub ribs slow cooked over charcoal. the only thing I do with my gas grill anymore is cook up some quick burgers and hot dogs. The best Barbecue that I have ever ate has been at The Rendezvous in Memphis, Tn and at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, Al. They are 2 different styles of barbecue but I love both.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for the education, guys.
I appreciate it.

Pugs, that is one fine setup!
Mmmmmmm!!!

Last edited by Two503000; 01/03/08.

Phil
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've heard some good advice. I've got a Silver Smoker like Pugs-- can't beat it. I saw one at Home Depot last week for $160. I paid $180 for mine 10 years ago. I use it to grill, to barbecue and smoke.

I got a free gas grill last year, my first one. It even had gas left in the tank! I now do a lot of cooking on it. If I want something done quickly on the gas and still want some flavor, I use hickory or oak chunks.

Barbeque is done on a low, indirect fire. Grilling is done at high direct heat. Yes, you can do it in gas. Put the meat in the back and don't turn on the back burner. You will just have to add in the wood-smoke flavoring some other way.

You named most of the recognized centers of BBQ-dom. I've made pilgrimages to most. I currently have a brisket and some sauce from W's favorite, Cooper of Llano, TX sitting in my freezer. Of all of the BBQ traditions, I prefer the Texas style that comes from places like Llano and New Braunfels. It was a style invented by German immigrants to the area. It has a heavy emphasis on beef, relies on slow cooking with mesquite (I use red oak up here in Cincinnati) and is a flavorful and savory without getting all that hot. You never see a tradition of this type begin a recipe for sauce with "Begin with a bottle of catsup." The first ingredient in these sops and sauces starts with beef broth and vinegar.

Cincinnati, BTW, has it's own BBQ tradition. If I say that to most white folks, they immediately come back with Montgomery Inn. Yes Montgomery Inn is good, but it's strictly white-people's BBQ. Cincinnati's BBQ is more of a KC-dry type of thing. The sauce is served on the side, and you won't find it in any place that is particularly friendly to white folks. I worry sometimes that as the African-Americans become the dominant force in this town, they'll go to Applebys and forget their own special take on BBQ. It may end up a dying star in the BBQ Universe, with few recognizing it as the city's own unique way of doing things.

Sigh!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most people Grill vs. BBQing.

To BBQ your using a much lower heat over time...

So it depends upon what type of grill you have - if you can keep a constant heat for a long time it's possible, but during the winter that's hard to do.

Spot

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Happy Birthday Pugs! I also have the same smoker/grill as you. It will give passable ribs/butt/chicken if you don't have a true pit smoker to use!

I use Maple as my wood of choice for smoking. Also gives a great flavor to my King Salmon filets when I smoke them!

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two503000 This is where you what to go for top notch info to your question as well as some great people and recipes. Sign on to the forums. It's free!!!!!!!! YAY !!!!!

Tell 'em UpInFlames sent ya.

www.thesmokering.com

BTW, I have the baby brother to the rig that Pugs has. Great for a starter at $79.00 from Wall-mart but if you really want to "Q" you will move on to some thing a little mo' bettah.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html also known as a WSM.

[Linked Image]

Smoked Christmas turkey done on the WSM

Last edited by 284LUVR; 01/03/08.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Two503000
Hi,
I was wondering if I can truly barbecue some ribs on my propane grill or would I just be grilling?
Is it possible to get a "true" barbecue with a gas grill or do I need charcoal or mesquite wood?
Is barbecue slow cooking and grilling quick?

Also:
Are there other parts of the country where barbecuing is popular like in the Carolinas? Memphis area? Kansas City or Texas?

Thanks.

Lotsa answers to questions like yours can be found hear: http://www.barbecuen.com/

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smoked butt......
[Linked Image]

Note the red smoke ring around the meat edges...this is BBQ. It was accomplished via smoking low and slow. The outside isn't charred, its a rub that has carmelized on the outside.

Terms: Grilling, Broiling, Roasting, Bar b que-ing, and smoking (hot and cold), all have specific meanings.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Two503000 This is where you what to go for top notch info to your question as well as some great people and recipes. Sign on to the forums. It's free!!!!!!!! YAY !!!!!

Tell 'em UpInFlames sent ya.

www.thesmokering.com

BTW, I have the baby brother to the rig that Pugs has. Great for a starter at $79.00 from Wall-mart but if you really want to "Q" you will move on to some thing a little mo' bettah.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html also known as a WSM.

[Linked Image]

Smoked Christmas turkey done on the WSM

I dont really care for turkey......but I gotta say... That looks GOOD!!!!

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shaman

True German/Czech immigrants to TX used oak generally, at least in our area. Mesquite came along later in life for most. And there are big groups around that eitehr hate or love oak,mesquite and pecan.... they have 3 distinct flavors. And there was quite a use of Hickory in our area.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you can BBQ on your gas grill. Light one burner, and adjust your heat until your thermometer reads 220 degrees. Put a little aluminum pan with your wet wood chips on the lit side, and put your food on the other. If there are warming racks above, load them too if you wish. You're barbecuing with a gas grill. My friends smoke king salmon on their bread rack with a full pan of wet cherry chips underneath it. I've seen them smoke bluefish that way too. You're not really doing anything differently than the big bbq chains up here. The bbq gets cooked in a gas fired oven that adds smoke through burning wood pellets. It still tastes good. I posted some pics in the food and cooking section under a request for a good rub recipe. Check it out, it's pretty.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Shaman

True German/Czech immigrants to TX used oak generally, at least in our area. Mesquite came along later in life for most. And there are big groups around that eitehr hate or love oak,mesquite and pecan.... they have 3 distinct flavors. And there was quite a use of Hickory in our area.

Jeff

I did not know that. Gee, the more I hear about these Texas Krauts, the more I can appreciate them. I get my red oak from skid runners that I get at work- 3" X 3" X 3.5' . I use 6" chunks for grilling and smoking and use the sawdust as a smoke flavoring in the gas grill. As a cheap old Kraut, I love it when I can cook for free!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p
Yes, you can BBQ on your gas grill. Light one burner, and adjust your heat until your thermometer reads 220 degrees. Put a little aluminum pan with your wet wood chips on the lit side, and put your food on the other. If there are warming racks above, load them too if you wish. You're barbecuing with a gas grill. My friends smoke king salmon on their bread rack with a full pan of wet cherry chips underneath it. I've seen them smoke bluefish that way too. You're not really doing anything differently than the big bbq chains up here. The bbq gets cooked in a gas fired oven that adds smoke through burning wood pellets. It still tastes good. I posted some pics in the food and cooking section under a request for a good rub recipe. Check it out, it's pretty.

Thats correct. The one caveat is your gas supply. A tank will last about 4 hours of regular Med High grilling time...you'll use less burning low enough to run very low temps...but you still need 12-18 hours at 220 for things like large cuts of pork and beef. I've never tried, so I don't know. JFYI.

War Damn Eagle!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We can be tight alright... But still trying to figure out how to utilize that squeal from a butchered hog.... Doesn't work as a hog call....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Weber grill that I use to BBQ for the house is this one:
[Linked Image] mine is older I think about 10 years now, back when they were red topped and open on the bottom. With three high quality burners running left to right it is very easy to adjust the heat any way you need it. With a 20 pound propane tank on it I'll BBQ all summer. These high end gas grills are very different from most of those sold at wally-world. Expect to pay $500.00+ for one of these.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great responses and good information!
Thanks to all.
Fine job, everyone.
Mmmmmmmm!!

I might try some of these tips this weekend for the NFL playoffs.

Last edited by Two503000; 01/04/08.

Phil
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (1lessdog, 2ndwind, 204guy, 280shooter, 300_savage, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,445
Posts18,507,886
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.